Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No different than Cloning honestly. I enjoy some Bond with a dash of Sci fi. unless it's DAD sci fi. =))
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Cloning is available in real-life, though. ;)

Besides, Agent Under Fire wasn't the first Bond story to use clones. In Raymond Benson's continuation novel, DoubleShot, Bond fought his evil clone at a bullring.

I'm also all-for sci-fi to be available in Bond. Just not as futuristic as Star Trek that was seen in EON. I'm perfectly okay with the DAD sci-fi. But, it was slowly stepping towards the limit. For me, that is.
    Cloning is available in real-life, though. ;)

Besides, Agent Under Fire wasn't the first Bond story to use clones. In Raymond Benson's continuation novel, DoubleShot, Bond fought his evil clone at a bullring.

I'm also all-for sci-fi to be available in Bond. Just not as futuristic as Star Trek that was seen in EON.
    6a00d83451b4ba69e2015437d9fb87970c-pi
    REALLY? Dammit Benson. :))
    :))

Good one!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 3,000
    Call of Duty, as a franchise, is an abomination that ruined the genre of shooter games overall, not just first-person shooter. For the sake of "realistic physics", it took the fun out of the genre and smothered it. "Solid" is a word that I can never associate with COD or Battlefield or any kind of a game that uses the COD features and tactics. The further Bond gets away from them, the better.

@ClarkDevlin Here! Here! I would never describe fumbling around with the limited field of view that comes from ADS, or 5 seconds of sprint time, to be solid gameplay. I also wouldn't describe them as realistic, despite the fact that this is the common defense for them. Soldiers are often trained to fire a gun with both eyes open, allowing for a larger FOV than ADS on a screen provides, and ANYONE can run for longer than COD style games let you. Limited weapon carry was also debunked by the Mythbusters, as long as the person is physically fit (AKA, a typical video game hero. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2015_season)#Episode_226_.E2.80.93_.22Video_Game_Special.22).

And even if it were realistic, is that what we want from games? Realism at the expense of fun? Isn't it often the point of games to allow you to do what you couldn't do in real life?

I wish there was even one game developer that would make a FPS that discarded these things. Yooka-Laylee is a revival of classic 3D platformers, we need a similar revival of classic FPS.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 13,894
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7! Well said, sir! Well said!

Oh, and the pre-release Agent Under Fire character model for Bond was re-used for GoldenEye: Rogue Agent later on...

Heads_rogue_agent.jpg

Some people still believe this is Pierce Brosnan. ;)

That chin is unmistakably Dalton's. It looks like a little bit of Connery in the overall face.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yes, the hair of Brosnan with the eyes and brow, the chin of Dalton and the cheeks and slight dimpling of Sean, as well as possibly the ears.
    Some people enjoy it and I think if it's done right it could be a good Bond game. Personally I can't imagine a modern Bond game where you run around and shoot swiftly just like Goldeneye. Also, as long as the developer is very good and the game is done very well although just in one platform, I think it'll be worth it.
    I can. The newest Doom game is the biggest example of how a proper FPS from the Golden Age can be updated with "realistic physics".
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I always used to think the Agent Under Fire Bond model was a combination of all the Bonds at that time until I found out it was actually modeled on a real person.
    Yes. It's modeled after the person who voiced him over. Andrew Bicknell.
    Adam Blackwood voiced Bond, his likeness was modeled after Bicknell.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Murdock wrote: »
    Adam Blackwood voiced Bond, his likeness was modeled after Bicknell.
    Blackwood provided the voice of Bond in TWINE for N64. His grunts from that game were reused, though it was Bicknell who ultimately provided both the voice and likeness for AUF.

You learn something new everyday. :)
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,423
    What @jake24 said.

@Murdock, this is what I was referring to, earlier.

IrwJtLg.jpg
    Sorry @jake24 I didn't get this message, I'm not sure what we were talking about now. However, While we wait for what Bond's gaming future has in store for us why don't we all take fresh look at GoldenEye 64. GoldenEye X. GoldenEye 64 but with Perfect Dark's engine.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Thanks for sharing @Murdock. This looks awesome
    You're welcome @00Agent. I'm very eager to give this a spin.
    I wasn't really into Bond gaming, when Goldeneye 64 was released. I was a pc boy back then. Only had played Bond on commandore 64 and Atari. EoN got really got me into the games. I wish some decent developer would give Bond a chance it deserves. With all these delays between the movies, it would be fun to have Bond games again. No movie tie-ins, but original stories we'd get to play.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I wasn't really into Bond gaming, when Goldeneye 64 was released. I was a pc boy back then. Only had played Bond on commandore 64 and Atari. EoN got really got me into the games. I wish some decent developer would give Bond a chance it deserves. With all these delays between the movies, it would be fun to have Bond games again. No movie tie-ins, but original stories we'd get to play.
    Hear hear!
    With the upcoming launch of the Nintendo Switch, and the end of the Wii U, March third will mark the first time since before Goldeneye N64 that James Bond is absent from the current console generation. New console generations have dawned without Bond before, seeing as Bond games have never been launch titles, but this generation begins without any reason to hope that 007 will be joining the fun any time soon. Even though 007 Legends launched for the last gen PS3 and Xbox 360, its inclusion on the Wii U meant that Bond was still part of current gen gaming (inasmuch as you can call the Wii U or Legend's graphics "current gen"). This is a sad realization, and makes me wonder about the future of our digital hero. It seems Bond's gaming future is just as uncertain as his cinematic one. Bond gaming is what began my interest in Bond, and I believe it is the same for many others in my age range. It helped bring a new crop of fans to the franchise and furthered its future. Now it appears as though it's being neglected and ignored as a film tie-in that is no longer profitable to pursue, rather than a media in it's own right worthy of continuing creative efforts. Bond gaming was cast aside even before the film series entered its present state of limbo, as no efforts were made to have a game launch coinciding with the release of Spectre. We are indeed in a bleak time for the franchise.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The franchise has an uncertain future? That's news to me.

Personally, I'm done with tie-in games, so when it comes to Bond it's either an original story or nothing at all. Otherwise it's not worth the effort.
    I hope one day the team behind GoldenEye source attempts to recreate the single player campaign. I'd be oh so happy for that.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I wouldn't count on them as much, @Murdock. They've changed and blended in with the trend of the time. No longer the creative chaps we've seen back in the nineties. Their recent Homefront game was nothing short of a low budget Call of Duty: Modern Warfare copycat.
    The fans who made GoldenEye Source are a legit company now?
    The franchise has an uncertain future? That's news to me.

Personally, I'm done with tie-in games, so when it comes to Bond it's either an original story or nothing at all. Otherwise it's not worth the effort.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I mean uncertain in that they have no distributor, we have no idea when B25 will be released, and it seems as though Bond films may be headed for a far too infrequent release schedule.

I am also done with tie-in games, they should have their own story. But even a game with an original story would likely release sometime close to the release of the latest Bond film, being a tie-in in that sense.
    I hope one day the team behind GoldenEye source attempts to recreate the single player campaign. I'd be oh so happy for that.

It would be nice, but I think they're afraid of being sued for copyright infringement.
    The fans who made GoldenEye Source are a legit company now?

I believe he is referring to the original devs of Goldeneye, who started Dambuster Studios and gave us the lousy Homefront: The Revolution; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homefront:_The_Revolution
    It would be nice, but I think they're afraid of being sued for copyright infringement.

I believe he is referring to the original devs of Goldeneye, who started Dambuster Studios and gave us the lousy Homefront: The Revolution; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homefront:_The_Revolution

I don't think that would be a problem since it's a free to download mod that's different enough from the original game. And Ah I see now, Shame they aren't doing so hot nowadays.
    The name "Dambuster" instantly makes me think of Bond jumping off the dam in GE.

I don't think that would be a problem since it's a free to download mod that's different enough from the original game. And Ah I see now, Shame they aren't doing so hot nowadays.

@Murdock I think the copyright lawsuit would more likely come from EON than Rare. Goldeneye: Source might be different enough from the original to not create an issue with Rare, but a single player mode would be an adaptation of the story from an EON film without their permission. That could pose an issue.
    The name "Dambuster" instantly makes me think of Bond jumping off the dam in GE.

Me too. If only they would prove their mettle and give us something great again.
    Personally since many of us (well at leas me) or having issues deciding between Craig and another actor and indeed 2 actors I would honestly love it if we got the best of both worlds so (while I know this will never happen) Fassbender doing the Video Games and Craig/Hardy (craig for one more then on to Hardy) will be perfect...

I still don't get why this is complex for both developers and fans I've said this multiple times if a Devloper (say Ubisoft) Wants to get out of the Rare Goldeneye Shadow it's simple Build a series of games based on the Post Fleming Novels the Novels EON will never adapt and never touch...

Start with Colonel Sun and Adapt it to Video game using the same rules as the film verse (So modern day and with excellent story telling) and there you go Who wouldn't want a stealth level based on M's kidnapping in Colonel Sun sneaking around his place as Fassbender's Bond or having a racing level from Trigger Mortis where you have to destroy the villains race car.. I can't be the only one who has read these books and wish I could play video games based on them.