Rank the actors

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    He was decent in CR.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree that Craig nailed it @peter. His performance in CR was nothing short of brilliant. It was an 'actors' film, and was therefore made for someone with Craig's dramatic talents. It was exciting to see all the actors rising to the occasion and playing off each other so beautifully. Almost pitch perfect.

Having said that, I recognize that Craig had an opportunity to shape the role like no other actor, given that it was an inception reboot. That helped him, and the others didn't quite have that blank canvas, apart from Connery as the first.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes I am curious... DC was "decent" in CR (when universal praise would suggest otherwise, including the BAFTA's, but I digress), but are you seriously implying his performances in the latter three films was less than "decent"?
    He takes the edge of Dalton and the innocence/vulnerability of Lazenby. There's not much more to it than that. He's a good actor, but he never really developed after CR, and repeated himself a lot.

This is still my favorite Bond performance from him. If he had played his tenure more like this (after CR) he could have made a good Bond:

(He also looks much more like Bond in this clip than he does in any of his Bond movies.)
  • GBFGBF
    edited November 2016 Posts: 3,195
    peter wrote: »
    @Mendes, the last decade must have been awful for you (in Bond years, that is). To think the second least favourite Bond on your list has reigned with record-breaking box office numbers (in a saturated world of franchises and capes), has hammered his spy-franchise opponents into the ground, and, even with a weaker fourth entry, killed it globally at almost $900 million, how do you get by? It must be nauseating for you to see that such a weak actor as DC has rejuvenated and re-energized a character approaching 60 cinematic years. Bring the Turner on, I say. Bring. Him. On.

You could also say that the Rolling Stones or AC/DC earn more money today than in the past because of inflation and the bigger (global) market as well as nostalgiga. Today there are three or four generations of Bond fans whereas the number of Bond fans were of course limited in the past. You should also keep in mind that meanwhile it is really something special that a new Bond film is made whereas it happened more regularly in the past.

So I would not say that Box office can be simply linked to a particular Bond actor.

I also take Craig as my second least favourite. I have nothing against him. I just don't find him to be very charismatic and less Bondian than the others.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited November 2016 Posts: 6,786
    He was decent in CR.

Exactly, nothing more and nothing less. I might like his QOS performance a bit better as I consider that a bit more Bondian.

Nevertheless, although a good actor, the DC from SF and SP is definitely my least favourite Bond. In the Mendes films, Bond was a bodybuilding Everyman, devoid of the sutble sophistication of previous Bonds. This Bond drinks beer instead of champagne, he has his hair cut like a football hooligan and works out so he can look like a bouncer.

In TLD Bond said: "I know a great restaurant in Karachi, we could just make dinner.", Mendes would have him say: "Shall we go to Burger King or McDonalds?" But hey, the cinematography looks great.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree that the Craig from CR & QoS was a more compelling character, at least imho. However, I could say the same about Connery in DN/FRWL vs. the later ones, Moore in LALD/TMWTGG/TSWLM vs. the later ones & Brosnan in GE vs. the later ones also.

It does appear that those initial films tend to give an actor an opportunity to bring his best attributes & dynamism to the table for whatever reason, before the edge inevitably wears off.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 6,786
    Sure you can, but none of those guys were designed as anti-Bonds like DC was in these last two outings. 007 has never been less of a bon vivant.

I'm not stating that these films are not better made than some of the others. SF and SP are beautifully shot, but it's the way Bond is portrayed that I don't like.
    My latest
    1) Dalton
    2) Craig
    3) Connery
    4) Lazenby
    5) Moore
    This looks like I look down on Moore. Nothing could be further from the truth, as I love him as Bond. its just that I prefer Dalton, Craig and Connery, and Laz stars in my favourite Bond film!
    And, No, I haven't forgotten Brossa! Since I think he was miscast, I don't rate him at all!
    There ye go, someone had to say it!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    And, No, I haven't forgotten Brossa! Since I think he was miscast, I don't rate him at all!
    There ye go, someone had to say it!
    I lova da Brossa! But I understand what you're saying. Once I saw November Man I realized that Pierce was doing a kind of Remington Steele version of Bond- but in light of Moore's Simon Templar version, I really don't mind. They were just lighter Bonds is all.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

1. Connery - Pre YOLT
    2. Craig pre-Skyfall
    3. Connery - YOLT
    4. Craig - Skyfall onwards
    5. Dalton - LTK
    6. Dalton - TLD
    7. Moore - LALD/ TMWTGG
    8. Lazenby
    9. Moore - TSWLM onwards
    8. Brosnan - GE
    9. Brosnan - TND onwards
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Connery DN to TB
    Dalton TLD to LTK
    Craig SP
    Moore FYEO to OP
    Brosnan DAD, TND
    Lazenby OHMSS
    Moore LALD to MR
    Brosnan GE, TWINE
    Connery YOLT, NSNA
    Craig CR to QOS
    Connery DAF
    Craig SF

1. Tim TLD
    2. Sean DN-TB
    3. George OHMSS
    4. Tim LTK
    5. Pierce GE-TWINE
    6. Rog LALD-TMWTGG
    7. Dan CR-QOS
    8. Rog TSWLM-MR
    9. Sean YOLT
    10. Rog FYEO-AVTAK
    11. Sean NSNA
    12. Pierce DAD
    13. Sean DAF
    14. Dan SF-SP
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    007 : Pierce Brosnan.
    007' : Sean Connery
    3rd : Roger Moore closely followed by...
    4th : Tim Dalton/ Craig's "Skyfall"
    5th : Lazenby
    6th : Craig's first two (particularly in QOS).

I won't ever count others unofficials.

Update :

007 : Pierce Brosnan
    007' : Sean Connery
    3rd : Roger Moore/ Timothy Dalton's TLD
    4th : Timothy Dalton's LTK/ Craig's Skyfall & Spectre
    5th : Lazenby
    6th : Craig's first two (particularly in QOS).

• GBFGBF
    01. Timothy Dalton in TLD
    02. Sean Connery in DN to TB
    03. Roger Moore in FYEO to AVTAK
    04. Sean Connery in YOLT and DAF (at recent viewing I really enjoyed him, especially in DAF)
    05. Daniel Craig in SF and SP
    06. Roger Moore in TSWLM and MR
    07. Roger Moore in LALD and TMWTGG
    08. Pierce Brosnan (I don't see much difference in his roles)
    09. Timothy Dalton in LTK (too much overacting)
    10. Daniel Craig in CR and QoS (maybe it is just because I am not a big fan of the gritty and revenge driven Bond)
    11. George Lazenby
  • Dalton_FishersDalton_Fishers Barcelona
    1- Timothy
    2- Daniel
    3- Sean
    4- Pierce
    5- Roger
    6- George
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited January 2017 Posts: 2,044
    1. Sean Connery
    2. Daniel Craig
    3. Roger Moore
    4. Pierce Brosnan
    5. George Lazenby
    6. Timothy Dalton
    Oh well,in for a penny,in for a pound :

1.Craig
    2.Connery
    3.Moore
    4.Brosnan
    5.Lazenby
    6.Dalton
  • GBFGBF
    1. Moore
    2. Connery
    3. Dalton
    4. Brosnan
    5. Craig
    6. Lazenby
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Not necessarily by acting chops so much as Bond:

1. Connery
    2. Moore
    3. Craig
    4. Brosnan
    5. Lazenby
    6. Dalton

Dalton used to be 4, Craig was 2 for a long while, but my opinion changes. Again, I appreciate them all.
    SP knocked him down a notch, did it?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 8,087
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Not necessarily by acting chops so much as Bond:

1. Connery
    2. Moore
    3. Craig
    4. Brosnan
    5. Lazenby
    6. Dalton

Dalton used to be 4, Craig was 2 for a long while, but my opinion changes. Again, I appreciate them all.

Who was 3 for a long while?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Same here. Roger Skyrocketed to being my second favorite Bond.

1.Pierce
    2.Roger
    3.Daniel
    4.Sean
    5.George
    6.Timothy
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2017 Posts: 5,131
    Pierce top ha ha ha. Very funny....
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Best Bond is always on top.
    They're all good, but if I was to assess them critically, this is how it would look.

Connery
    Moore
    Craig

(gap)
    Lazenby

(gap)
    Dalton

(gap)
    Brosnan
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The actors ranking is probably what changes more for me than the ranking of the films.

No 1 though will never change.

DALTON RULEZ™

for the moment:

2 LAZENBY (I decided to finally give him the number 2 spot, he actually always had with me, but I never ranked him as there is only one film.

3 Pierogean Moonnerosnan (it's actually useless trying to put one of them not on spot 3, so there you go)

6 CRAIG (maybe another actual Bond performance will put him on No 3 as well, but for now Spectre is the only film where he actually IS Bond and not some random action hero)
  • LordBrettSinclairLordBrettSinclair Greensleeves
    Sir Roger Moore
  • I've changed mine up;

1) Connery
    2) Moore
    3) Brosnan
    4) Craig
    5) Dalton
    6) Lazenby
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    1 Dalton (in my highly trained professional unbiased opinion)
    2 Craig
    3 Connery
    4 Moore
    5 Brosnan
    6 Lazenby

I'm not wild about Craig as Bond but I do think he's a very fine actor. Conversely, Brosnan is a bit of a ham but I love his Bond anyway.
  • Ranking them in terms of their performance as Bond-

1. Connery
    2. Dalton
    3. Craig
    4. Brosnan
    5. Moore
    6. Lazenby

Ranking the quality of their Bond films-

1. Craig
    2. Connery
    3. Moore
    4. Brosnan