Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Bond V Bond.....

Sean
    Dan
    George
    Tim
    Pierce
    Lastly, the clownish abomination known as The Moore, who gave it his best to make the Bond franchise a series of campy comedies.

OW !!!! ...if it wasn't for Moore then we might not be sitting here discussing this..he saved the series by making LALD a success,and then in '77 TSWLM....

Bit of an extreme reaction there methinks...

[-X
    Yes. Say what you will Moore revitalized the series for a whole new generation. I prefer Connery....but for many Moore is Bond!
  • GBFGBF
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Bond V Bond.....

I love to see the nods by Moore and Brosnan in the car chase.... Typical Bond!
    It's very well edited........
  • Hey it's not a personal thing against Moore, he's supposed to be a gentleman's gentleman in real life, which is great. He was just a very comedic version of the character.
    For me, the worst interpretation ever.
    Bond is just not supposed to be out-and-out silly.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    1. Pierce Brosnan
    2. Roger Moore
    3. Sean Connery
    4. Daniel Craig
    5. George Lazenby
    6. Timothy Dalton
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Bond V Bond.....

Outstanding demonstration of why Bond is the best! Even here you can see that the most intense SOBs are Dalton and Craig. The coolest is Connery. The most smug is Brosnan (in the Aston in GE).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    That clip Bond v Bond is wonderful and it makes me realise again how lucky we all are to have gotten 6 such great Bonds.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Sean Connery
    Timothy Dalton
    Daniel Craig
    Roger Moore
    Pierce Brosnan
    George Lazenby
  • That video again just shows that all 6 Bonds are brilliant. For me:

1. Craig
    2. Dalton
    3. Brosnan
    4. Connery
    5. Moore
    6. Lazenby

Watching Brosnan in TWINE and DAD recently reminded me that, whatever the quality of the film, Pierce was a compelling Bond and deserves much more credit than he generally receives.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Craig/Connery
    Moore
    Brosnan
    Dalton
    Lazenby
    That video again just shows that all 6 Bonds are brilliant. For me:

1. Craig
    2. Dalton
    3. Brosnan
    4. Connery
    5. Moore
    6. Lazenby

Watching Brosnan in TWINE and DAD recently reminded me that, whatever the quality of the film, Pierce was a compelling Bond and deserves much more credit than he generally receives.

He was good in GE. But I find the least compelling Bond actor.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I'd be curious to see your guys ranking had the actors been divided into eras. For example Connery pre-Thunderball or Moore pre-TMWTGG, or Craig post-Qos
    I'm not sure I understand you @dominicgreene? Moore pre-TMWTGG is only LALD? Could you give me an example?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand you @dominicgreene? Moore pre-TMWTGG is only LALD? Could you give me an example?

Ah sorry I mean pre-TSWLM.

Sorry I mean like, as an example:

1. Craig pre-Skyfall
    2. Brosnan pre-TWINE
    3. Craig post-Skyfall
    4. Timothy Dalton (TLD)
    5. Brosnan post-Twine
    6. Timothy Dalton (LTK)

It's a bit complicated but I suppose a bit fresher than a simple ranking.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That's a good idea, actually.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    To me, Dalton in LTK is a good Bond. How can you top that? I'm not sure.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks @dominicgreene. If someone can come up with the categorizations/eras we are supposed to use consistently for all of the actors, I will take a crack at my ranking.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    My latest ranking*:

1. Roger Moore
    2. Timothy Dalton / Daniel Craig
    3. Pierce Brosnan
    5. Sean Connery
    6. George Lazenby

* Purely personal, I hope I don't cause too much trouble for preferring Brozza and the Daltonator to Connery.
    * Purely personal, I hope I don't cause too much trouble for preferring Brozza and the Daltonator to Connery.
    Shocking @DaltonCraig007. May I ask what it is about Connery's run that you don't like as much in comparison to Dalton/Brosnan.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames I still think that Connery is the best (no contest). I don't know what it is, I always crave rewatching Dalton's and Brosnan's outings more than Connery's. Maybe it dates back to my teen years where I spent so much time watching the Brosnan and Dalton eras.
    Fair enough @DaltonCraig007. That makes a lot of sense. Both the Dalton and Brosnan era have a lot of action in them and are quite fast paced as well, so I can imagine that also appeals to you. The Connery films are much slower paced and talky generally.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Connery was just so cool. In an era where actors were actors with a big "A", he just embodied a natural suaveness. He obviously used a method where he took his own character and blew it up to fill 007's tux (with the assist going to Young). The man even convinced Ian Fleming that he wasn't just an over grown stuntman. He wavered Fleming's opinion so much that Bond was written, in the books, as half Scot/Swiss. That's saying something.

I appreciate older Moore, more than younger Moore. I think his charisma was more evident the less his body could move! He was a special Bond (not my fave, but highly regarded and respected for keeping 007 alive). In fact OP is my fave Moore Bond film, with AVTAK (warts and all), as my second fave.

Dalton to me had so much promise. Jesus, the guy looked f*cking great as 007. Probably the closest to the original interpretation. And Dalton himself was serious, wanting to take Bond back to the basics. However, IMO, he failed in execution. He didn't have the raw, natural energy of Connery and didn't possess Rog's charm. He came off as hammy, arrogant, unlikable as a character and self-indulgent as an actor. Just my opinion.

Brozzy... damn... I think Brozzy stretched himself to a point he either didn't have the talent to stretch, or the scripts were a disservice. Or maybe a mixture of both. But nobody can question the man's heart: he wanted to be a great Bond. He really did and must be respected for his efforts. Unlike Dalton, I do believe Brozzer cared and loved the role. The same can't be said for Dalton.

Craig is the man. If SP is his last, he built a beautiful character from beginning to end and, to date, was the only power to dethrone Connery of top status (and this, until SF, was a painful admission I wasn't ready to publicly admit to, although I knew after CR the hierarchy was already being challenged). He completely re-invigorated a character that was approaching half-a-centurey old. To this day I think BAFTA got it right in nominating him as a Best Actor for CR... The Oscar's, ignoring him, especially after the positive reaction to this interpretation of 007, was shameful and exposes the insular level this body works within.

Lastly Lazenby was thrust into the spotlight, the biggest of all at the time, and came off as awkward, wonderful, honest and uncomfortable. I'm glad he didn't return for a second adventure since I feel his shortcomings would have been exposed in the next film, and certainly by the third one.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 7,969
    1. Connery
    2. Dalton
    3. Brosnan
    4. Moore
    5. Craig
    6. Lazenby
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes, the last decade must have been awful for you (in Bond years, that is). To think the second least favourite Bond on your list has reigned with record-breaking box office numbers (in a saturated world of franchises and capes), has hammered his spy-franchise opponents into the ground, and, even with a weaker fourth entry, killed it globally at almost $900 million, how do you get by? It must be nauseating for you to see that such a weak actor as DC has rejuvenated and re-energized a character approaching 60 cinematic years. Bring the Turner on, I say. Bring. Him. On.
    Martin Campbell rejuvenated the franchise.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes: I hafta apologize in advance, and, not taking away anything from Campbell, but..:
    OH. MY. GOD. ARE YOU SERIOUS???? If Craig wasn't as dynamic as he was, the entire re-boot fails, you get that, right?

Right?

Ri-

Oh forget it.
    I think the reboot film succeeded because of a variety of factors, including Campbell, Green, Mikkelsen etc. Craig was instrumental in that of course, and it couldn't have succeeded so well without him and his incredible performance, but it was a team effort.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @bondjames, absolutely, what an amazing ensemble, both in front of and behind the camera, but if they cast Bond with Sam Worthington, for example, I think that film would never hold a candle to the one we got -- even shot-for-shot.
    Craig, as the lead, killed it in his debut; was so groundbreaking, it can only be compared with Connery's introduction.
    Connery owned the role.
    And so did Craig.