The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• TripAces wrote: »
    We do hope that the government will work together, but many blockades will be put up as much as possible, to stop Clinton from passing legislation if she becomes president. Of course, this would be happening if Trump is elected, but somehow that feels like it would be done to save and protect our country from his irrational decisions ... against Clinton, that is not the case. Especially as there is such undying, underlying pure hatred towards her and her husband. That won't go away.

You may find the comments by readers of this piece interesting. I did.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/house-republicans-are-already-preparing-for-years-of-investigations-of-clinton/2016/10/26/e153a714-9ac3-11e6-9980-50913d68eacb_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_teneowiki815pm:homepage/story

I predicted this issue earlier in the thread, and there is another wrinkle: Republicans are also preparing to block all SCOTUS nominees.

It's so frustrating that words can't describe it. What a bunch of children.

This is why we need to turn out and VOTE DEMOCRATIC, not just at the top of the ticket but all up & down that ticket. The repubs need to know that their blocking tactics are actually going to work against them from here on out. They need to recognize the necessity of working WITH the new administration to get stuff done. Simply trying to make Obama a non-president for eight years didn't work out well for anybody, they can't try to go round that merry-go-round again and again and again...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    TripAces wrote: »
    We do hope that the government will work together, but many blockades will be put up as much as possible, to stop Clinton from passing legislation if she becomes president. Of course, this would be happening if Trump is elected, but somehow that feels like it would be done to save and protect our country from his irrational decisions ... against Clinton, that is not the case. Especially as there is such undying, underlying pure hatred towards her and her husband. That won't go away.

You may find the comments by readers of this piece interesting. I did.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/house-republicans-are-already-preparing-for-years-of-investigations-of-clinton/2016/10/26/e153a714-9ac3-11e6-9980-50913d68eacb_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_teneowiki815pm:homepage/story

I predicted this issue earlier in the thread, and there is another wrinkle: Republicans are also preparing to block all SCOTUS nominees.

It's so frustrating that words can't describe it. What a bunch of children.

This is why we need to turn out and VOTE DEMOCRATIC, not just at the top of the ticket but all up & down that ticket. The repubs need to know that their blocking tactics are actually going to work against them from here on out. They need to recognize the necessity of working WITH the new administration to get stuff done. Simply trying to make Obama a non-president for eight years didn't work out well for anybody, they can't try to go round that merry-go-round again and again and again...

Amen, brother.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Republicans have said for months they won't act on President Barack Obama's nomination of Merrick Garland to fill the opening left by Justice Antonin Scalia's death because they want the winner of the presidential race to fill that vacancy. Now, one senator says the GOP should consider blocking any Clinton nominee, leaving the nation's high court with just eight members.

"There is certainly long historical precedent for a Supreme Court with fewer justices," Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, said in Colorado on Wednesday, in remarks first reported by The Washington Post. "I would note, just recently, that Justice (Stephen) Breyer observed that the vacancy is not impacting the ability of the court to do its job. That's a debate that we are going to have."

from: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/27/politics/hillary-clinton-republicans-congress/index.html
    edited October 2016 Posts: 12,459
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/28/us/politics/donald-trump-voters.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

"... Clinton has to go by any means necessary, it will be done". Beyond unacceptable and reprehensible. But click on the comments - plenty of thoughtful comments there.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Don't worry, if these fools were to mount an armed revolt they'd shoot themselves in the head trying figure out how to use the guns.
    Yes, that is the hope. ;)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/28/us/politics/donald-trump-voters.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

"... Clinton has to go by any means necessary, it will be done". Beyond unacceptable and reprehensible. But click on the comments - plenty of thoughtful comments there.
    I like this: "... if she comes after the guns..."
    I'm actually uncomfortable with people this stupid owning guns in the first place.
    :))
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,727
    From a European perspective, a lot of people here just think Trump is having fun playing the system. Yes, he is a chauvinist (not really something you can disqualify a man for on presidential grounds, historically...) and a raging populist, but he doesn't really believe half the things he says. He just likes seeing the impact of his wack-head outbursts and bathes in the current limelight, which he could not have hoped to be in by just building ostentatious & running the show on The Apprentice USA.

Hilary is simply the lesser of the two evils, which doesn't really flatter her. I find her a rather crass and naïve fundamentalist-feminist (ouch), and this has always stuck in my mind :

“Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat. Women often have to flee from the only homes they have ever known. Women are often the refugees from conflict and sometimes, more frequently in today’s warfare, victims. Women are often left with the responsibility, alone, of raising the children.” – Hillary Clinton

Really, Hillary? So the men who died in agony or lost their limbs/sanity/sight/hearing for the betterment of the corporations you are in cahoots with who benefit from conflict are not the actual victims of warfare?
    Give the woman an Oprah award, for heaven's sake.
    I have no problem at all with her statement, actually.
    Of course men are victims, too. I do not interpret her statement the way you do at all. I support men, and women, who died, injured, suffered everything while fighting for our country. But I do not find her statement to be a slur on men.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dying for the profit of bankers is an honour.
    The Clinton emails are being reviewed further by the FBI. Investigation not officially reopened yet. That depends upon what is found upon this new review. Interesting timing. And it gets some heat off of Republicans now in office.

If there is something previously undiscovered by the FBI that is actually important, let it come to light. Meanwhile, this will just be a huge mess on the news to wade through (yet again) as both sides will be smearing each other, new fodder for attacks, etc. (yet again).

And well, all is maybe not as we first assume:

Just see this video clip:
    Then we can all speculate.
    The FBI are never partial, so that is good news.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 322
    I have no problem at all with her statement, actually.
    Of course men are victims, too. I do not interpret her statement the way you do at all. I support men who died, injured, suffered everything while fighting for our country. But I do not find her statement to be a slur on men.

If women are the "primary victims", then mathematically men must be the secondary victims i.e. less important

I feel she made a good point and I simply don't take her statement as negative against men.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 322
    So, do you believe that women suffer more than men in war?
    In a nuclear war, we suffer equally. Those of us lucky enough to suffer.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    With Trump as president we all suffer.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Our fates are not decided with this US election.
    Our fates are decided by EU idiots letting Poland, Hungary, Turkey and Russia do whatever they damn pleases.
    I fear another four years of Angela Merkel way more than a possible eight years of Trump.
  • Troy wrote: »
    So, do you believe that women suffer more than men in war?

A fair amount depends on the context of that particular statement. However: it can be argued that men are the primary makers of war and (by that chain of logic) women the primary sufferers. If you can give us the actual context of the quote we could get a little deeper into the intended meaning. Personally, I think @Thunderfinger and @Murdock are the most on the mark here.

• edited October 2016 Posts: 3,564
    The Clinton emails are being reviewed further by the FBI. Investigation not officially reopened yet. That depends upon what is found upon this new review. Interesting timing. And it gets some heat off of Republicans now in office.

If there is something previously undiscovered by the FBI that is actually important, let it come to light. Meanwhile, this will just be a huge mess on the news to wade through (yet again) as both sides will be smearing each other, new fodder for attacks, etc. (yet again).

And well, all is maybe not as we first assume:

Just see this video clip:
    Then we can all speculate.

According to early reports, this came as a result of the FBI investigating the Anthony Weiner case. I'm not sure that there's going to be an awful lot of classified info being passed while Weiner is trying to explain himself in emails to his wife, Hillary's aide Huma Abedin -- there may be some other very interesting material for the prurient-minded, but we'll let that be -- I think the FBI is just throwing the Republicans a bone to get them off James Comey's back. As with so much here, we will see as the Clinton II presidency weathers the many storms Congressional Republicans are already lining up to take the press' attention off of more pertinent matters.
    All Hillary has to do is run the clock out and she's got it locked. The FBI investigation will last into 2017 or possibly even longer. As to the leaky email issue, just remember that Russia is believed to be the source. That is RUSSIA. So now you'r going to buy what Russia says now? Really? You trust Putin now?

It's so sad that sex has played such a sideshow. Bill Clinton, Donald Trump and Anthony Weiner all have problems that are hard to ignore.

Go Cubs!
  • The Cubs use a compromised email server. Besides, their mascot is a bear, as in a Russian bear. All we need is a sex scandal to complete the troika...I suspect a furry fetishist somewhere in the mix. There! Ruined THAT perfectly innocent pass-time. What's next on the agenda?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Does it matter from where the leaks come? If it's Russia so what, does it make it any worse than if it was Belgium, Australia or Switzerland?

Trump getting the ticket is bad enough, but that the Democrats have allowed Clinton to get this far is the real tragedy here.
    Now we will be stuck with her for 8 years as the Reps are unable to even be a proper political party anymore.
    The Cubs use a compromised email server. Besides, their mascot is a bear, as in a Russian bear. All we need is a sex scandal to complete the troika...I suspect a furry fetishist somewhere in the mix. There! Ruined THAT perfectly innocent pass-time. What's next on the agenda?

Schwarber and Ditka will make Putin cry.
    Murdock wrote: »
    With Trump as president we all suffer.

Maybe, but Clinton will be doing her best to provoke Russia, and now China by trying to control her shipping lanes

Add in blindly supporting Saudi and Israel in the Middle East

And you have an extremely dangerous cocktail that scares me more than Trump's boorish behaviour
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    They both scare the hell out of me.
    Troy wrote: »
    Clinton will be doing her best to provoke Russia, and now China by trying to control her shipping lanes
    Add in blindly supporting Saudi and Israel in the Middle East
    The aftermath of WWII created the U.S. middle class. A new world war is clearly called for now.*

*angry sarcasm

Clinton does not scare me, and I don't believe all the conspiracy theories, stories, etc. about her. Yes she is a career politician. I hope she can move our country forward and accomplish some good things.
This discussion has been closed.