No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

For the first time it would be a good idea not to follow Bond from A to B, but rather get to know the Villains plan more thoroughly, with Bond entering the picture when needed to push the story forward.

I like your train of thought. FRWL broadly followed this route - especially the book, and was all the better for it. Fleming also did this to great effect in TSWLM, where he compared and contrasted Bond to the bad guys (gangsters and spies). Connery was best at this - for all the smooth chat, charm, and grins - he was at heart a cold killer doing what he thought necessary to win. A soldier in civies. I never subscribed to the view he was mysoginist - having casual sex with women was surely preferable to casual killing of men, which he laughed about. The enigma is whether he laughs to hide his true feelings, or whether he truly didn't care.

I do admit that Craig is closer to the Fleming Bond, where he is clearly being damaged by the death around him.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Bond or Not, Daniel Craig Is Setting Himself Up Nicely for the Future
    vulture.com/2016/09/daniel-craig-james-bond-purity-logan-lucky.html

Interesting article from Vulture examing the baggage of being Bond, and how this time, things may be a little different for DC.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Still no progress. :-\"
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 19,339
    Nope....diddly squat....nowt....nada....nothing.... [-(
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    *sigh* :!!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The most exciting news getting to know Craig's favourite colour just doesn't do it.
    By this time next year we'll probably know what his favourite season of the year is.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The most exciting news getting to know Craig's favourite colour just doesn't do it.
    By this time next year we'll probably know what his favourite season of the year is.
    Next year?? You're dreaming. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2016 Posts: 28,694

Fall.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

Fall.

I bet on Autumn.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 2,598
    Autumn is my favourite season. I love the colourful leaves. What are yours, posters?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I hope the EoN team has watched and re-watched the LOGAN trailer that dropped yesterday.

It seems that these filmmakers are taking a comic book character and putting him into a very adult universe-- this is no capes and tights flick.

They have to do this with Bond. They have to put him back into the world they started with CR. No more overt homages and templates and check lists.

Give Bond some real stakes. Like Logan, put him into a situation that is uncomfortable to him. Where he's off balance.

When lead characters are taken out of their comfort zone (think CR when rookie Bond (and his arrogance), is constantly being schooled; DIE HARD when New York street cop McClane is not only stuck in (f*ckin') California, but trapped in a building with a very sophisticated crew of robbers), great drama and action tends to take place.

Making LOGAN R-rated is a start to freeing up what the character can do, but, without a great story, putting him in a world where he is unsure of himself, it wouldn't matter the rating.

EoN should learn from the trailer and see how they can bring the adult back to Bond (they don't need any more tropes). If DC is returning (like Hugh Jackman in his last go around, I think Craig has the chops to bring us at least one more great picture), then let his character stand on his own without the 007 check-list. Let him truly stand alone, in a situation that brings him chaos. Back him in a corner and see how he uses his wits, and yes, character, to survive one more time (while bringing a villain to heel).

Take a chance, EoN.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Well said!
    Autumn,btw...
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,756
    I agree. I'm part of the group is very much advocates to stay a bit farther away from the "Bond formula" to begin with. The problem with Spectre, what kind of made it soul-less, was the fact that there were really no stakes. There was no consequence.

Did we ever see the consequence at the demise of the "00" program? Did we ever see the consequence of anything? We didn't even see the consequence of Hinx.

Think back to CR. Bond's consequence for killing the bomber. Bond's consequence at losing in poker. Bond's consequence for killing Fisher in the PTS. Bond's consequence for not giving away the password. Think back to CR, QoS, SF... what made them good was that not only were there stakes but each action Bond took had an impact. That gave the movie a soul.

Spectre, and various other Bond films, fall into the trap of not showing them. As mentioned above, Bond is not really put in any uncomfortable position in the movie. There's no consequence for his Rome car chase, sinking the Aston, blowing up half a city block, Spectre didn't tell us any consequence for Blofeld's plans, or Denbigh's plans... Madeline and Bond's relationship was disposable.

I hate to keep ripping on SP, it's an entertaining movie in itself, but it's not Dr. No.

This scene encompasses what I've been talking about.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    As sleek as this might look, the amount and explicitness of violence would be inadequate for a Bond movie. I am not a fan of this.
    I'm not sure how it would be written into a script, but I have always thought about Bond being completely stripped of everything and living on his wits and determination and looking death in the face. Its rare that they ever have a chance for this. The torture scenes in DAD were a joke IMHO as with SP.
    So what if the bad guy left Bond in the outback. And we saw him stuggle for weeks to survive, and see him properly loose weight and shrivel up. Something we have never seen before. And he prepares himself for death and starts to see things due to dehydration? It would be something different (not sure of DC would be up to loosing a couple of stone?) but when you see an actor transform themselves for a role, it really does effect the audience IMHO
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So The Revenant starring James Bond?
    I just think seeing Bond strapped to a table with a lazer or needle etc etc does not work any more and when he is beaten up, he recovers quickly (although CR was very good), just think we need to see him in a different context. Just an idea (have not seen the Revenant yet)
  • Or you could simply have Bond needing to go to ground - his cover's blown or he's burned by another agency. The Bourne films gave some great glimpses of this: the SIM card duplicator, the false license plates . . . some of the details. I think the Jack Reacher character is also supposed to be a great example of the guy who lives off the grid, works the underground economy, and so on.

It flies in the face of the part of Bond that's a famous playboy, of course. But it might be neat to see him having to quietly work his networks in some faraway place - how to find cash, get armed, get papers, get information, and get out?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Bourne and Reacher are too blue collar. And Bond has to stay white collar. It's why the series is better than other critically acclaimed intellectual properties that Bond outlived by far.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree. I'd prefer if they not go in this direction. Bond has always straddled the fantasy and reality worlds (as well as the 99% and 1% worlds) beautifully and I think that's been a key component of its prolonged success.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,690
    What I want the most right now in the next film, no matter the running time, who's Bond (Craig or Bond 7), or if Madeleine/Blofeld are coming back or not, is for Bond to start his mission straight away in the field. No more Bond finally leaving MI6 and going on the foreign location after 30 minutes of briefings, drama and what not. If Bond must go rogue again, so be it, if Q/M must appear on the field, so be it but please keep London-based scenes to a minimal. I miss the days of the Moore era where Bond only spent 5 minutes at MI6 before arriving on his first foreign location.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I agree with @DaltonCraig007
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Does anyone have a link/page to access all the videos from the New Yorker interview?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 1,021
    Nearly a year after the release of SPECTRE and still no news about BOND 25.
    Anyway - for what its worth I really enjoyed SP. Its probably the most "entertaining" of the DC BONDS. I recently watched it and the 2HR 28MNS run time flew by. I understand some of the dislike for the film and I would also have preferred a better 3rd act and removing the Blofeld personal angle. Personally I would love DC to return along with Christophe Waltz and Lea Seydoux. It would also be great if Sam Mendes came back. He seems to get a lot of criticism around here but I think his work is excellent.
    I agree. I'm part of the group is very much advocates to stay a bit farther away from the "Bond formula" to begin with. The problem with Spectre, what kind of made it soul-less, was the fact that there were really no stakes. There was no consequence.

Did we ever see the consequence at the demise of the "00" program? Did we ever see the consequence of anything? We didn't even see the consequence of Hinx.

Think back to CR. Bond's consequence for killing the bomber. Bond's consequence at losing in poker. Bond's consequence for killing Fisher in the PTS. Bond's consequence for not giving away the password. Think back to CR, QoS, SF... what made them good was that not only were there stakes but each action Bond took had an impact. That gave the movie a soul.

Spectre, and various other Bond films, fall into the trap of not showing them. As mentioned above, Bond is not really put in any uncomfortable position in the movie. There's no consequence for his Rome car chase, sinking the Aston, blowing up half a city block, Spectre didn't tell us any consequence for Blofeld's plans, or Denbigh's plans... Madeline and Bond's relationship was disposable.

I hate to keep ripping on SP, it's an entertaining movie in itself, but it's not Dr. No.

This scene encompasses what I've been talking about.

It's like torture watching scenes like this. Perfection.

Bond is so far from these heights nowadays.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It is the Connery era, to be fair. Nothing stands a chance against those early films.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    It would also be great if Sam Mendes came back. He seems to get a lot of criticism around here but I think his work is excellent.
    I hope he does not come back. With Skyfall he made one of the best Bond films in my book - but after it he was done and he just came back for the money - at least that's the feeling I get from SPECTRE.

His take one the character was marvellous in Skyfall but in retrospective a different director would've been better for SP since he had nothing new to add besides hommages and just making it bigger. I would like to continue the Madeleine Storyline along with the Spectre Organization - but hopefully somebody else directs it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    It would also be great if Sam Mendes came back. He seems to get a lot of criticism around here but I think his work is excellent.
    I hope he does not come back. With Skyfall he made one of the best Bond films in my book - but after it he was done and he just came back for the money - at least that's the feeling I get from SPECTRE.

His take one the character was marvellous in Skyfall but in retrospective a different director would've been better for SP since he had nothing new to add besides hommages and just making it bigger. I would like to continue the Madeleine Storyline along with the Spectre Organization - but hopefully somebody else directs it.
    If they want to make a more action oriented thriller following the traditional Bond template, then they should not bring Mendes back. He has proven he can't do it, at least imho.

If they are looking for another unique character exposé with some depth, then by all means bring him back. That's what he does best, and that's what he delivered with his first effort.