The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2016 Posts: 12,459
    At the traditional "friendly" roast/jokes aimed each other dinner, which both candidates always attend ... this got a bit touchy.

video of the dinner ...
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    MIC?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    stag wrote: »
    MIC?

Military Industrial Complex.
    Last night was the annual Al Smith fundraising dinner in New York City. Both Hillary and Trump were there trading jokes. And while it might be hard to upstage the two major Presidential candidates in any setting, Maria Bartiromo of Fox Business Network brought her 'A' game in a red dress.

maria2.jpg?quality=90&w=650
    Last night was the annual Al Smith fundraising dinner in New York City. Both Hillary and Trump were there trading jokes. And while it might be hard to upstage the two major Presidential candidates in any setting, Maria Bartiromo of Fox Business Network brought her 'A' game in a red dress.

maria2.jpg?quality=90&w=650
  • bondjames wrote: »
    The Republican party as we know it is dead. They just don't know it yet. It's been painful watching it die, but necessary.

Much as I hate to disagree with you in your hour of grief, the Republican party isn't dead yet. They still have plenty of Congresscritters who can refuse to even consider any Supreme Court justice put forward by any Democratic President. Therefore, I will also have to disagree with @BondJasonBond006 in his hour of Swissness:
    In two years the USA will be involved in war with Russia over the no-flying zone over Syria.
    One can only hope the Republicans will have both houses so Clinton will be a lame duck President and can't realise her wicked plans.

To the contrary, one can only hope the Republicans lose enough Congresscritters that they have to learn their lesson and start trying to work with their Democratic fellows on the problems facing this country in a bipartisan fashion. They should have at least CONSIDERED the Supreme Court nominee put forward by Obama; now Hillary may just nominate Obama himself! Wouldn't THAT be fun?

And BTW Jason, if Hillary's America has to start a war, it's only to make up for you wishy-washy Swiss who insist on being "neutral" even when faced with such existential threats as (look out! here it comes!) Hitler. (Ooh! The "Hitler" card! Now this discussion's going completely off the rails!)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Republican party as we know it is dead. They just don't know it yet. It's been painful watching it die, but necessary.

Much as I hate to disagree with you in your hour of grief, the Republican party isn't dead yet. They still have plenty of Congresscritters who can refuse to even consider any Supreme Court justice put forward by any Democratic President.
    Indeed, and I would expect no less. That's not what I meant by it being dead. It is philosophically dead (in terms of what it espouses presidentially as opposed to congressionally) and has been exposed for the empty vessel it has been for some time on that front.

The Tea Party fringe now has a voice and will have its best showing ever electorally in presidential terms, and it will become more vocal post-election.

The same thing will happen on the left, once Hillary betrays the Berners (and I'm quite certain she will once she has no need for them).

I believe that we are headed towards bifurcation on both ends of the spectrum, unless another 'healer' and 'uniter' can be found. It won't be your gal, that much I can assure you of. She hasn't got the skills.

Much as I hate to disagree with you in your hour of grief, the Republican party isn't dead yet. They still have plenty of Congresscritters who can refuse to even consider any Supreme Court justice put forward by any Democratic President.
    Indeed, and I would expect no less. That's not what I meant by it being dead. It is philosophically dead (in terms of what it espouses presidentially as opposed to congressionally) and has been exposed for the empty vessel it has been for some time on that front.

The Tea Party fringe now has a voice and will have its best showing ever electorally in presidential terms, and it will become more vocal post-election.

The same thing will happen on the left, once Hillary betrays the Berners (and I'm quite certain she will once she has no need for them).

I believe that we are headed towards bifurcation on both ends of the spectrum, unless another 'healer' and 'uniter' can be found. It won't be your gal, that much I can assure you of. She hasn't got the skills.

I don't claim to have the crystal ball that you and some others here evidently have. Will she lead us into a war with Russia or stoke a second American Civil War? I dunno. Tell me where you bought your crystal ball, all I've got is this old Magic 8-Ball that seems stuck on "Ask Again." But I would suggest that none of us should underestimate Hillary's skills. Campaigning has never been her strong suit and she's still done it well enough the humiliate the Donald.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I don't claim to have the crystal ball that you and some others here evidently have. Will she lead us into a war with Russia or stoke a second American Civil War? I dunno. Tell me where you bought your crystal ball, all I've got is this old Magic 8-Ball that seems stuck on "Ask Again." But I would suggest that none of us should underestimate Hillary's skills. Campaigning has never been her strong suit and she's still done it well enough the humiliate the Donald.
    There are certain skills Hillary certainly has that I will never underestimate. She has amply demonstrated them here during this bitter campaign, as she did during the Obama 2008 fight. Those skills have always been her forte. Machiavelli would have been proud.

Uniting a country is not one of them.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    howard-prez-campaign.png?w=1000
  • I voted for Howard in 1976. The only Presidential election in which I didn't vote for the Democratic candidate.
    Too bad he was framed. I blame Bush.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

She'll come closer than Trump ever will.
    United in the nuclear holocaust.
    I am from the UK though I have been watching the presidential debates and beyond bemused by the antics and false facts that have been peddled, one of these will become president of the United States of America X_X
  • Too bad he was framed. I blame Bush.

I blame Jim Shooter. Too obscure a reference for this thread? Okay -- I blame Disney.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I blame the Canadians.
    I get it. The other one, too.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 3,564
    I blame the Swiss. It's all your fault, Jason!
  • It ain't over until Weird Al Yankovic has made it into a parody song. Ooops! Must be over: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/weird-al-debate-song-bad-hombres_us_58099bf0e4b02444efa29cf5?section=
    It ain't over until Weird Al Yankovic has made it into a parody song. Ooops! Must be over: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/weird-al-debate-song-bad-hombres_us_58099bf0e4b02444efa29cf5?section=

Hahaha, Weird Al still has it.

Trump did unite the country... against him.

There are certain skills Hillary certainly has that I will never underestimate. She has amply demonstrated them here during this bitter campaign, as she did during the Obama 2008 fight. Those skills have always been her forte. Machiavelli would have been proud.

I think you’re misunderestimating Hillary already. By all accounts she was very effective in working across the aisle back when she was a senator. If anything, you should be hoping for a steadily-diminshing role for the Tea Party, who’ve been instrumental in fomenting the partisan divide the plagues us. Even among fellow Republicans, the TPers have been a nuisance, first chasing John Boehner from his position as Speaker of the House and now causing Paul Ryan endless headaches. The TP was the first flowering of the poisonous plant that gave us Herr Drumpf. Now that he’s (soon-to-be) gone we’ll need to rip up the TeaSnarky by their roots & give them back to their true masters & instigators, the infamous Koch Brothers.
    Soros and the Rothschild family agree.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 565
    I think you’re misunderestimating Hillary already. By all accounts she was very effective in working across the aisle back when she was a senator. If anything, you should be hoping for a steadily-diminshing role for the Tea Party, who’ve been instrumental in fomenting the partisan divide the plagues us. Even among fellow Republicans, the TPers have been a nuisance, first chasing John Boehner from his position as Speaker of the House and now causing Paul Ryan endless headaches. The TP was the first flowering of the poisonous plant that gave us Herr Drumpf. Now that he’s (soon-to-be) gone we’ll need to rip up the TeaSnarky by their roots & give them back to their true masters & instigators, the infamous Koch Brothers.
    Said by someone whose views have been on the side in currently in control...Clinton is uniting no one unless she is willing to give up the democrat agenda and focus on the very few places of common ground (or on issues that align with populist mindset) AND develop a pattern of doing so. Also, not that I want to defend the Koch Brothers, but your comments about them being the masterminds of the tea party movement makes no sense...why would they want to disrupt their own party and hand over the control to the democrats?

In my opinion, extreme partisanship exploded when Obamacare was pushed through. It's not only the principals of it or even just what has been created by it, it's the manner in which it was done. Since then, the political games have just continued and I think the American people see through it, but just feel helpless. And just so you know, if you think it's a republican problem, you're wrong. The anti-insider, anti-politician feelings are on both sides and Bernie's popularity is proof of it. When the right messenger comes around, the elites on both sides better prepare themselves.

Too bad we'll never get to see if you're right. I say this as Trump is a democrat in republican clothing. If get got the office, I have a feeling he'd pivot (mostly on social issues). Just a hunch...
  • JamesStock wrote: »
    Said by someone whose views have been on the side in currently in control...Clinton is uniting no one unless she is willing to give up the democrat agenda and focus on the very few places of common ground (or on issues that align with populist mindset) AND develop a pattern of doing so. Also, not that I want to defend the Koch Brothers, but your comments about them being the masterminds of the tea party movement makes no sense...why would they want to disrupt their own party and hand over the control to the democrats?

In my opinion, extreme partisanship exploded when Obamacare was pushed through. It's not only the principals of it or even just what has been created by it, it's the manner in which it was done. Since then, the political games have just continued and I think the American people see through it, but just feel helpless. And just so you know, if you think it's a republican problem, you're wrong. The anti-insider, anti-politician feelings are on both sides and Bernie's popularity is proof of it. When the right messenger comes around, the elites on both sides better prepare themselves.

The connection between the Kochs & the TP are well documented and that documentation goes back to the early days of Obama's presidency. Here's a link to a fairly recent article. http://time.com/secret-origins-of-the-tea-party/

"Clinton is uniting no one unless she is willing to give up the democrat agenda." Riiiight. The only compromise you'll accept is one in which you win entirely, my position is untenable because it's the one currently winning. Drop me a line when you're willing to acknowledge that compromise is a situation in which BOTH sides surrender something in order to attain a position in which both sides get a substantial portion of what each wants.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I blame Jim Shooter. Too obscure a reference for this thread?
    I met him up at Marvel back in the 80's. He was tall. And John Romita looked like an older Peter Parker, LOL.
    Soros and the Rothschild family agree.

At least someone has a clearer picture here.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
This discussion has been closed.