The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2016 Posts: 40,490
    Interested in the Trump supporters trying to defend this latest blunder. Sure, I've most certainly heard much worse than that, but when a presidential candidate is casually using language like that, it's inexcusable.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Interested in the Trump supporters trying to defend this latest blunder. Sure, I've most certainly heard much worse than that, but when a presidential candidate is casually using language like that, it's inexcusable.

Absolutely agree @Creasy47!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Gustav_Graves, I'm not used to Trump or his foul language to the point that I've gotten desensitized. I've not liked him from jump because I can gauge his character, or lack thereof. I'm just disappointed it's taken so long for so many others to finally let it click for them that he's a disrespectful pig, because, as I've mentioned, his nasty rhetoric didn't just begin this week.

I'm not saying he didn't cross the line, I'm saying he crossed the line about 300 miles ago, and it's just shocking that so many have been able to put his comments in the back of their minds for this long without finally saying to themselves, "Wait, this guy might not be all right."

Of course I think it's important to stand up to people that degrade and bully genuinely, which is why I've said from day one that something needed to be done about him so that his effect wasn't spread, but that was a year ago and the rest of the American people who stand behind him have only served to lend credence to his legend and "brand." I'm sorry I can't control the masses. If I could, I would, and make all of us walk hand in hand off a precipice into extinction as punishment for allowing Trump to get this far, in addition to all the other cruelties we perform between ourselves each day.

No other things exist in nature that are just as beautiful as they are cruel like human beings, and this past year and many years in addition only serve to prove that. How about we balance things a bit more in favor of the "beautiful?"
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Some people have been mentioned to being balanced and mature about their support of this man when I can't see any balanced support of this man to be possible. It's not I'm thinking this time he's crossed over the line it's just that audio of him is beyond disgusting.

He crossed over the line long before he was running for President, he's said so much reprehensible statements that support of him was a joke when some of you attempted and you know who you are

It's the fact that such a man is in this position and America you have to ask yourself this question?

If Nigel Farage had got to this point in my country and he's Diet Trump at best I'd be so ashamed that my fellow countrymen had rallied round this bigoted, racist chancer.

The rise of UKIP in the UK is very worrying but it pales compared to the awful, hateful types that have crawled from under their rocks in the U.S and now think they have valid reason to be so inhuman to other individuals, the uninformed talk of immigrants is just beyond a joke, Jack White said it best in Icky Thump.

White Americans, what?
    Nothing better to do?
    Why don't you kick yourself out?
    You're an immigrant too?

Who's usin' who?
    What should we do?
    Well you can't be a pimp
    And a prostitute too

• edited October 2016 Posts: 7,500
    The most illustrating thing about this latest scandal is that it didn't come as a surprise at all. Honestly I thought people had a better club of who they were voting for... just saying...

Refreshing to know there was a line for Trump to cross at least... At some point it felt like Americans could live with absolutely anything...

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wouldn t it be neat if neither candidate got a single vote?

Not gonna happen though with all those idiots around.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 11,119
    [img][/img]2KmdRXS.jpg

As you know, Harry Enten works for FiveThirtyEight.com. And the editor in chief of that site a while ago wrote this:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/will-the-trump-tape-have-a-bigger-effect-on-the-race-than-past-controversies/
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Please drop out of the race Donald while you still have no dignity.
    Just when I think Trump can't get any worse. It's just disgusting. I can't wait for him to lose.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Just when I think Trump can't get any worse. It's just disgusting. I can't wait for him to lose.

We should start tally the forummembers who still support Trump :|
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    FoxRox wrote: »

We should start tally the forummembers who still support Trump :|

Probably still a larger number than it should be. They're also more likely to remain quiet.
    I'm no big fan of Clinton, but I feel obligated to vote against Trump, who could be potentially very dangerous. He's already a total embarrassment - him winning would just amplify it. I was pulling for Bernie myself, but beggars can't be choosers.
  • The comments are highly offensive but this was back in 2003, in what he thought was private banter. How many of you have never made lewd comments about women?
    It was wrong, of course it was, but why should it automatic disqualify him from Presidency? If we had a full tape of all Obama's private comments, or anyone's for that matter, I'm sure could find equally reprehensible comments.
    He has apologized. I think these comments, awful though they are, are being blown out of proportion.
  • I'm in the same boat as you @FoxRox
    The comments are highly offensive but this was back in 2003, in what he thought was private banter. How many of you have never made lewd comments about women?
    It was wrong, of course it was, but why should it automatic disqualify him from Presidency? If we had a full tape of all Obama's private comments, or anyone's for that matter, I'm sure could find equally reprehensible comments.
    He has apologized. I think these comments, awful though they are, are being blown out of proportion.

At what point during this campaign do you think he has not shown the same disdain to women as he did do in 2003.

If you cannot see that he has not changed that much, which I do not think he has done since people do not change that much after their fifties, then please do not make yourselves look stupid by trying to defend him. Even his own wife has nothing good to say about these remarks and does not try to defend them.

• edited October 2016 Posts: 382
    He hasn't said anything about women in general in the campaign. He's criticised a women.
    I am not defending the comments. But there is great hypocrisy going on here
    He hasn't said anything about women in general in the campaign. He's criticised a women.

He has not been very flattering to women period, if you missed that much you are not a very critical person.

• edited October 2016 Posts: 382
    SaintMark wrote: »

He has not been very flattering to women period, if you missed that much you are not a very critical person.

Well I haven't been following it avidly but I haven't heard anything offensive during the campaign. Only bringing up his past. Now Trump is going to bring up the Clinton's past, which is only fair when his past is being dragged up again and again.

I just want the people so outraged that they think he should step aside to declare that they have never said anything awful in private.

Well I haven't been following it avidly but I haven't heard anything offensive during the campaign. Only bringing up his past. Now Trump is going to bring up the Clinton's past, which is only fair when his past is being dragged up again and again.

I just want the people so outraged that they think he should step aside to declare that they have never said anything awful in private.

Sometimes you should just accept that certain behaviour is not acceptable and should not be defended, which you clearly are doing. So perhaps that says enough about you and what you stand for.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This election has officially descended into the gutter. Beyond filth.

One thing is for sure, whatever happens and whoever wins, American democracy has been damaged, as there will be a large portion of the population that will be disgusted by the result and will see it as illegitimate. Whoever wins.

The result of fighting an election in a no holds barred manner like it's a war will have far reaching consequences and we are about to witness the implications in the next four years.
  • SaintMark wrote: »

Sometimes you should just accept that certain behaviour is not acceptable and should not be defended, which you clearly are doing. So perhaps that says enough about you and what you stand for.

what part of 'The comments are highly offensive ' (my words) don't you understand. I am not, repeat not, defending the comments.

@bondjames agreed.
    I still don't get this.

US citizens are voting for the leader of the western world, whose polices affect most people on the planet.

Over the last 20 years we have seen the rule of the Neocons, who have increasingly centralized power and money towards a global elite. Enriching themselves, through political corruption, they caused a wake of wars, mass migration, and debt crisis.

Hilary Clinton is a continuation candidate. Trump appears to be something else.

I cannot understand why people are not debating the important issues, but care worrying about first-world problems of how rude Trump is.

This to me is the tyranny of the internet. We are all human and make mistakes. And the the ruling elite use this to trash anyone who stands up to them.

I still haven't seen on this forum any rational discussion of why trump will be a disaster
    bondjames wrote: »
    This election has officially descended into the gutter. Beyond filth.

One thing is for sure, whatever happens and whoever wins, American democracy has been damaged, as there will be a large portion of the population that will be disgusted by the result and will see it as illegitimate. Whoever wins.

The result of fighting an election in a no holds barred manner like it's a war will have far reaching consequences and we are about to witness the implications in the next four years.

Can you please elaborate? A while back I was criticizing the American electoral system and the media for turning the election away from politics and onto a juvenile track of insults and personal attacks. When it suited your candidate you defended it for being a "just system designed to favour the strongest candidate". Now that it has worked against your favourite its "filth" and a sign of a crumbling democracy. Who are you blaming for this except Trump himself? Because criticizing him is obviously hard for you, you had a perfect opportunity now but are instead talking nonsense.

The GOP is in crisis, oh sure, "descending into the gutter". First for jeopardicing the country with Bush, then for boicotting Obama in eight years so they could put the blame on him for the mess and (relative) lack of progress during his period. Then for choosing this candidate, then for having its most respected members endorse him while hypocritically defending Republican core values. A political washing up is indeed needed in the GOP. Is American democracy any worse of than it was already because of this? No.
    @jobo, you're not the only one who has been saying this should be on the issues and not on the personal nonsense. I've said the same. It's true that I expected the debates to provide an opportunity to focus on those issues, but this time around even that hasn't been allowed and the personal stuff has hijacked that as well.

I think the public expected more discussion of the issues and have been let down.

I stand by my prior post. If you want to call it nonsense, that's your prerogative. Watch and learn.

You've got your favourite in this race and I have mine. The difference between you and I is I don't hold your view against you. It's your right. I may disagree, but I don't judge you for it.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @Gustav_Graves, if you've got the influence of a Trump or Cosby, yeah, you do get away with it. The world steamrolls over everyone but the elite, the rich and the "famous," usually because they are the ones in the driver's seat. I don't need to tell you this, though.

What I think @BondJasonBond006 is saying is that we've endured similar blanket statements about minorities from Trump, heard his disrespectful comments about war veterans and the medals they risk their lives saving others to garner, and his outlandish shouts of "Bomb them" when it comes to ISIS and other terrorist cells or nations, that these surfaced comments just feel, well, unsurprising and they befit the picture we've had of him from jump.

You can spout your proverbs all you want, but proverbs are proverbs and humans are humans. We need to be better than this, and it shouldn't take this long to see what is right in front of our noses.

Thank you. Yes indeed.
    Hardly surprising at this point.

Also, here:
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2016 Posts: 17,691
    Troy wrote: »
    I still don't get this.

US citizens are voting for the leader of the western world, whose polices affect most people on the planet.

Over the last 20 years we have seen the rule of the Neocons, who have increasingly centralized power and money towards a global elite. Enriching themselves, through political corruption, they caused a wake of wars, mass migration, and debt crisis.

Hilary Clinton is a continuation candidate. Trump appears to be something else.
    Yes, something far worse.
    Troy wrote: »
    I still haven't seen on this forum any rational discussion of why trump will be a disaster
    Then you never will. I hate Hillary, but Trump would destroy our world. Or at least, send us into an even bigger cauldron of bigoted, sexist hate than we are in now.
    Considering re-investing my T May winnings on Clinton for a 30% return. Is there any way Trump can turn things around? I am struggling to create a scenario where Trump wins,
    comments?
    It's quite unlikely but one thing is for sure. The polls are going to be quite inaccurate going into the last 30 days because Trumpsters will lie even more to them about their voting intentions. Additionally, diehards on both sides will be more motivated to get to the polls (turnout will increase on both sides among the faithful). At the end of the day, this will be about turnout, and so anything is still possible.
    John McCain cancelled his endorsement of Trump and Condoleezza Rice now says Trump should withdraw from the election. What a winner he's turning out to be!
    I have a theory that the grandees within the Rep party have finally realised what an odious little waste of space Trump is and the mistake they have made in letting it get this far. They will do nothing to support him and be happy to see Clinton win. if there are signs that Trump has a chance, they will step in behind the scenes.
This discussion has been closed.