Z is For sleep: your WORST movie EVER

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Apparently, no one here has seen American Hot Wax.
    [-O< Please God delete this movie from existence...
    What about Boat Trip (featuring Roger) and Little Man? I haven't seen the latter but have heard NOTHING good about it.
    Taffin is pretty awful.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    "Little Fokkers" is unbelievably terrible, made worse by how amazingly funny the original "Meet The Parents" was. Definitely a sequel too far.
    Taffin is pretty awful.

It is! The acting is terrible all round - not just Brosnan. Still, at least it has a bit of a "so bad its good" quality much like The Room.
    A good day to die hard is so insulting because it has the die hard name slapped on the title. It's just terrible in every aspect. It's like they went out their way to insult fans of the 1st 4 films.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Films that I've wanted to turn off but made it to the end just to say I'd seen it;

Halloween (Remake 2007)
    Independence Day (1996)
    Domino (2005)
    V For Vendetta (2005)
    3 Days To Kill (2014)
    John Wick (2014)
    Furious 7 (2015)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    No Country For Old Men.

Just bloody ridiculously bad and the biggest error the Academy ever made, especially in the actor category.
    Films that I've wanted to turn off but made it to the end just to say I'd seen it;

[/b]
    Independence Day (1996)

:'(
    No Country For Old Men.

Just bloody ridiculously bad and the biggest error the Academy ever made, especially in the actor category.

This is a joke, right ?!!!
    :-O
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    No Country For Old Men.

No just his raving hyperbole based on his hatred of SF.
    No Country For Old Men.

No just his raving hyperbole based on his hatred of SF.

Nail hit on head except I don't hate SF, only the so called actor ruining half of it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Halloween (Remake 2007)
    Independence Day (1996)
    Domino (2005)
    V For Vendetta (2005)
    3 Days To Kill (2014)
    John Wick (2014)
    Furious 7 (2015)

I really enjoyed John Wick and V For Vendetta is one of my favourites. I'd be curious as to why you didn't enjoy them.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I don't get the dislike of V for Vendetta either, I think it's superb.
  • Hot tub time machine 2
    Mortdecai
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Star Trek: Generations With a movie that brings Kirk and Picard together in the same movie it ended up being a miserable experience.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Die Another Day
    Star Trek Generations has the perfect first act, and everything up to the crash of the Enterprise is great, but then the film falls apart and is a mess.

Over the years though I have learned to appreciate it for what it is. Seeing Picard and Kirk together in the Nexus is a treat and today I love that particular sequence. Two legends together, the mere fact that this happened and even on the big screen should be cherished.
    [

Halloween (Remake 2007)
    Independence Day (1996)
    Domino (2005)
    V For Vendetta (2005)
    3 Days To Kill (2014)
    John Wick (2014)
    Furious 7 (2015)

I really enjoyed John Wick and V For Vendetta is one of my favourites. I'd be curious as to why you didn't enjoy them.

The trouble with V For Vendetta is that instead of coming across as anti-fascist it comes across as pro-terrorist. It's 'fascism is uncool' cartoonish political posturing seems aimed at right on 12 year olds. It paints a silly and unconvincing picture of a future London.

The scene that really sums up the film is when after days of torture, all Natalie Portman is bothered about is that her hair has been shaved off!

John Wick is like watching someone else play a shoot em up computer game.

No suspense, no suprises, just constant shooting of goons in unimaginative ways with CGI blood which is so repetitive it actually makes mindless violence quite boring.

And after witnessing Mr Wick have no trouble killing endless highly trained assassins it's rather puzzling when he has trouble defeating the old overweight Russian mob boss....
    John Wick is in my Top 10 best movies of this decade and possibly will never leave it.
    John Wick is in my Top 10 best movies of this decade and possibly will never leave it.

A lot of people like it. I'm certainly in the minority who think its overrated tripe.

I'm sure you're looking forward to the sequel where no doubt hundreds more random bad guys get wiped out in place of an actual plot...

:-S
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    [

Halloween (Remake 2007)
    Independence Day (1996)
    Domino (2005)
    V For Vendetta (2005)
    3 Days To Kill (2014)
    John Wick (2014)
    Furious 7 (2015)

The trouble with V For Vendetta is that instead of coming across as anti-fascist it comes across as pro-terrorist. It's 'fascism is uncool' cartoonish political posturing seems aimed at right on 12 year olds. It paints a silly and unconvincing picture of a future London.

The scene that really sums up the film is when after days of torture, all Natalie Portman is bothered about is that her hair has been shaved off!

I don't agree. The film has a lot more on its mind then the story it's telling right in front of your eyes. V is labelled as a terrorist by a fascist dictatorship, sure, but that does not make the film "pro-terrorist". While V does spend time blowing up buildings and killing morally corrupt public officials, the real story is inaction by an idle public (the audience), but it's not about encouraging violence. It's reminding people that apathy and idleness will allow civil rights to be subtly taken from under our noses. The sole reason fascism works is because of fear, and V is a freedom fighter. Hence why, at the end of the film, Evey refers him being a reflection of everyone once they take on his symbol and leave the army with no choice but to stand down.

The film twice refers to the Iraq war being a catalyst for the film's plot. It also makes a point that America is now a wasteland and its collapse was the "reason" the state took control of all of England. The so called futuristic vision of London is meant to be identical to what we've got already in order to rally the point home that we're actually not too far away from something like this happening.

So, although labelled a terrorist (it would be easy to see why you could latch on to that if you just took it at face value), V is actually fighting for freedom for everyone, and not just the destruction of his enemies like a regular terrorist.

I agree about the hair line following Evey's release, though. That's a strange one - although I'm sure after being tortured, people would come out with some odd statements. I forgive it for the very powerful scenes either side of it.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 3,985
    [

Halloween (Remake 2007)
    Independence Day (1996)
    Domino (2005)
    V For Vendetta (2005)
    3 Days To Kill (2014)
    John Wick (2014)
    Furious 7 (2015)

I don't agree. The film has a lot more on its mind then the story it's telling right in front of your eyes. V is labelled as a terrorist by a fascist dictatorship, sure, but that does not make the film "pro-terrorist". While V does spend time blowing up buildings and killing morally corrupt public officials, the real story is inaction by an idle public (the audience), but it's not about encouraging violence. It's reminding people that apathy and idleness will allow civil rights to be subtly taken from under our noses. The sole reason fascism works is because of fear, and V is a freedom fighter. Hence why, at the end of the film, Evey refers him being a reflection of everyone once they take on his symbol and leave the army with no choice but to stand down.

The film twice refers to the Iraq war being a catalyst for the film's plot. It also makes a point that America is now a wasteland and its collapse was the "reason" the state took control of all of England. The so called futuristic vision of London is meant to be identical to what we've got already in order to rally the point home that we're actually not too far away from something like this happening.

So, although labelled a terrorist (it would be easy to see why you could latch on to that if you just took it at face value), V is actually fighting for freedom for everyone, and not just the destruction of his enemies like a regular terrorist.

I agree about the hair line following Evey's release, though. That's a strange one - although I'm sure after being tortured, people would come out with some odd statements. I forgive it for the very powerful scenes either side of it.

I'm sure I'm in the minority when it comes to V For Vendetta. A lot of people seem to like it. The problems aren't just with the shallow version of the graphic novel though. It seems London streets will turn into sets from 1970's Hammer films, Christians become radical militants while the Koran is seen as inspirational (oh boy the irony!) and V doesn't just kill 'corrupt public officials' he also guns down quite a few security guards and innocent policemen as far as I can remember.

For a film that really gets what an 'Orwellian' future could be like, while still managing to be funny, shocking and thought provoking, try Terry Gilliams Brazil (1985) With the original ending mind...

It's a film that allows the viewer think instead of being spoon fed a load of leftie propaganda.
    Re 'Brazil', what do you mean the original ending? Did it have a different ending?
    I remember loving that film when i saw it in the cinema, but i watched it recently, and it didnt seem as good!
    Worst movie? I'm quite picky what i go and see and whats on TV! The only movie i fell asleep during was 'Air America' with Mel Gibson!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Battlefield Earth
    edited September 2016 Posts: 3,985
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Re 'Brazil', what do you mean the original ending? Did it have a different ending?
    I remember loving that film when i saw it in the cinema, but i watched it recently, and it didnt seem as good!
    Worst movie? I'm quite picky what i go and see and whats on TV! The only movie i fell asleep during was 'Air America' with Mel Gibson!

Have you not heard the Sid Sheinberg story @Mathis1 ?

Universal pictures distributed Brazil in the U.S and were unhappy with the ending that tested badly. Chairman of Universal Sid Sheinberg radically re-edited the ending to making it seem that the events actually happened and wasn't in Sam Lowry's head. So literally the film made no sense. The outraged Gilliam took out a full page ad in Variety magazine demanding his original film be released.

Private screenings of Brazil for critics ended up with the film winning the LA Film Critics Association award for best film. Thereby forcing Universal to release a director approved version of the film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Star Trek Generations has the perfect first act, and everything up to the crash of the Enterprise is great, but then the film falls apart and is a mess.

Over the years though I have learned to appreciate it for what it is. Seeing Picard and Kirk together in the Nexus is a treat and today I love that particular sequence. Two legends together, the mere fact that this happened and even on the big screen should be cherished.

It has a decent teaser but after the stuff with the Enterprise B, it falls apart immediately.
    About this thread: it's called Z is for sleep

So I chose NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN because usually the Coen films are borefests of gigantic proportions (except a very few). Watching Bardem wear a funny wig for two hours is the most ridiculous thing I've seen, except for THE ARTIST which is truly Z for sleep

No Country really was hard to sit through and I'll never understand how this film could beat THERE MUST BE BLOOD at the Oscars. A true crime.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 1,405
    Dunes
    Fame
    Rrrrrr (French film)
    Blueberry (French film)
    Now you see me 2
    Batman and Robin
    Subway (French film)

I had the displeasure to see those films from beginning to end.
    Horribles experiences.
    LeonardPine, yes, i was aware of the whole story re 'Brazil', but i wasn't aware the film was released with the changes wanted by Sheinberg? It was a stroke of genius on Gilliams part to take out the ad in Variety. And the film could only end the way it did!
    BondJasonBond007, i take it you didn't like this years 'Hell Or High Water', which is similar in tone to 'No Country for Old Men'? Have to say i love the Coen Brothers films, apart from the mistep of their remake of 'The Ladykillers' (what were they thinking, trying to improve on the original??) and that comedy with Clooney and Catherine Zeta Jones, whose title I cant remember!