The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    ggl007 wrote: »
    In Pearson's biography it is said that "Boofy" was changed as a name for Mr. Kidd in Diamonds are Forever.

Could someone confirm this, please? In my Spanish version, it is translated as "Dolly" ??? and in my pdf online-downloaded version "Boofy" it is, so there would be no change.

?

I can't confirm it myself as I don't have a reprint but I think that it must have been only in the reprints of the Jonathan Cape first edition of DAF where it was changed (to 'Dolly' as 'Boofy' was a real life person) as it remains the same in the Pan paperback editions.

Fleming stated that he would have the name changed in later editions of the novel after his friend complained about the use of his name in the novel. For more information, have a read of my article here:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/james-bond-novels-that-were-edited.html

Thanks, @Dragonpol! I have your article printed in paper ;) but, apparently, it's not clear if Fleming changed it or not...

Yes, it's difficult to get a definitive answer unless one can check a later edition Cape DAF imprint. What we do know is that Fleming at least intended to incorporate the 'Dolly' change into later hardback editions. Whether this was in fact carried out or not is unclear currently.
    But, my question is: if you go right now to a book shop and buy DAF, will you find "Boofy" or "Dolly"??
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 5,808
    My edition has "Boofy". And it's the Vintage photocover one :

MassMarketDAF-386x600.jpg

So, fairly recent. The nickname appears on page 157, to be precise.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Thanks, @Gerard. That's what I was looking for. Apparently, then, the "Dolly" thing is the curiousity now... !
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Which chapter does the name appear? Checked my copy but the page wasn't the same as the one you listed.
    And back to the bookshelf I go :

Chapter 14 "We don't like mistakes"
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My copy (page 116) uses the name "Boofy," as well.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    In Pearson's biography it is said that "Boofy" was changed as a name for Mr. Kidd in Diamonds are Forever.

Could someone confirm this, please? In my Spanish version, it is translated as "Dolly" ??? and in my pdf online-downloaded version "Boofy" it is, so there would be no change.

?

I can't confirm it myself as I don't have a reprint but I think that it must have been only in the reprints of the Jonathan Cape first edition of DAF where it was changed (to 'Dolly' as 'Boofy' was a real life person) as it remains the same in the Pan paperback editions.

Fleming stated that he would have the name changed in later editions of the novel after his friend complained about the use of his name in the novel. For more information, have a read of my article here:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/james-bond-novels-that-were-edited.html

Thanks, @Dragonpol! I have your article printed in paper ;) but, apparently, it's not clear if Fleming changed it or not...

Yes, it's difficult to get a definitive answer unless one can check a later edition Cape DAF imprint. What we do know is that Fleming at least intended to incorporate the 'Dolly' change into later hardback editions. Whether this was in fact carried out or not is unclear currently.
    But, my question is: if you go right now to a book shop and buy DAF, will you find "Boofy" or "Dolly"??

It will always be 'Boofy' as like I said above it was only the reprints of the Cape edition of DAF that were changed, or rather appear to have been changed.

Perhaps someone who has a later Cape print of DAF can confirm or deny this?
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    I have boofy also, though on page 104!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    In Die Another Day would Gustav Graves really be considered to receive a knighthood in such a short frame of time. Even with his philanthropic work.
    It also begs the question of his seeming change of heart. From vicious, evil North Korean Colonel. To people loving, charity donating businessman. Who seeks to have his profile exposed under his new guise. Doesn't really make a lot of sense (I know that DAD often doesn't)
    But then, this is the questions thread. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I wondered the same thing.
    Yep me too,but then the whole film is inconsistant Benster isnt it haha ?!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Benny wrote: »
    In Die Another Day would Gustav Graves really be considered to receive a knighthood in such a short frame of time. Even with his philanthropic work.
    It also begs the question of his seeming change of heart. From vicious, evil North Korean Colonel. To people loving, charity donating businessman. Who seeks to have his profile exposed under his new guise. Doesn't really make a lot of sense (I know that DAD often doesn't)

Not a chance.

The gene therapy is clearly not a fast process but even if we assume he already had hoards of conflict diamonds and started doing philanthropic work with them the moment have he dried off following the PTS to go from nobody to getting a knighthood in a year simply wouldn't happen. For a start don't people get proposed about 6 months before they actually go to the palace to receive it? So he needs to go from hovercraft to being in a position where the government says 'this bloke deserves a knighthood' in a mere 8 months. I suppose he could just be a mate of David Cameron's as this does cut down the waiting time.

I've always wondered, given the survivability of the drop as proven by Moon, why Bond decides that ending up in a North Korean prison is a better fate than risking jumping off the waterfall.

Especially given his attitude 3 films earlier that riding off a cliff (without water to land in) to chase a crashing plane is a better alternative to ending up in a Russian prison. Are the conditions inside a Russian jail really that much worse than a North Korean one?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @TheWizardOfIce, I don't think the Russians have scorpions. Bond's a fool!
    Benny wrote: »

I recall similar sentiments being made about Hugo Drax's knighthood in the MR novel, on which of course parts of DAD and its villain Sir Gustav Graves were based. Would Drax really have been knighted before the Moonraker rocket was tested? He certainly wouldn't have been knighted afterwards!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Maybe Moon's mother had Gene Therapy ahead of time to look like the Queen to get knighted faster. =))
  • How about he killed the real Gustav Graves and stole his identity?
    How about he killed the real Gustav Graves and stole his identity?

Clever thinking.....that would work with the gene therapy...I will think of it that way in the future when I watch DAD...

• barryt007 wrote: »

Clever thinking.....that would work with the gene therapy...I will think of it that way in the future when I watch DAD...

Thanks but I can't claim original thinking. Someone else's idea. Graves says he modelled him on Bond which is an inconsistency unless he just means his voice & mannerisms.
    Mind you,some titles can be bought....that's another option for the speed of it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The mannerisms and the way of speaking are what he modeled after Bond.

There's no evidence in the script that that ever occurred though. It is merely unfounded speculation.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »

There's no evidence in the script that that ever occurred though. It is merely unfounded speculation.

The impossibility of the alternative is indirect evidence of it's occurence. Read your Sherlock Holmes man ;)
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

The impossibility of the alternative is indirect evidence of it's occurence. Read your Sherlock Holmes man ;)

Haha good one! :-bd
    Elementary my dear Comte ....
    Maybe Bond and Sherlock should have a special crossover event on the BBC for Christmas. :)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Sherlock and Elementary would be better. ;)

I have read some but this is a James Bond site after all.
    Gustav Graves was knighted because they thought he was Gert.
    Gustav Graves was knighted because they thought he was Gert.

Now it all makes sense!
    DAD always made sense. In the Zod, Uhura and wassisname way.