No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I don't think there's any chance Madeleine will be just dropped, but a compromise could be reached to satisfy both groups fans fall into.

We witness Bond trying to move on with her at Bond 25's start, but quickly he realizes that the calm doesn't suit his stormy tendencies and he decides to part ways with her as his heart isn't in it. He thought he could move on, but realizes the only life he knows is that of a blunt instrument.

Or, Madeleine sees that their life makes him unhappy and she ends it with him instead, to aid the both of them in the long run from drawing out a relationship that had no chance of sustaining itself.

I hate both of these ideas simply for the fact that if Madeline is not going to be a major the part of the film then I dont want to waste 10 minutes at the start of the film on Bond and Madeline breaking up.
    Madeleine could tell Bond to come back to her when his business with Blofeld is ended, and he could take her up on the offer, or it could be left more ambiguous as to what he does, choosing between her and MI6.

I think there's a possibility of an idea here. Blofeld escapes and Madeline tells Bond she cant go back to that life (although I realise that this is a straight copy of the dumping scene in SP - but where theyve left us with SP there are no ideal solutions) and to come back to her if he ever can give up his job. Bond sees it as his duty to go after Blofeld so off he goes, promising Madeline he'll be back and they go their separate ways.

We have the whole garden of death finale and Bond ends up forgetting who he is. But, of course, as we know he remembers Madeline's face anywhere so he goes back to her (dont ask me how he finds her) not knowing who he is but knowing that he loves her. She realises that this is the chance for them to be free so the Craig era finally ends in bittersweet fashion with them hiding from the world somewhere (a bit like the end of the Bourne Identity) happily together but Bond not knowing who he is.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I think this whole Spectre / Madeline thing is dead. Maybe Blofeld will come back, maybe. But not Madeleine. I'd be surprised if they really went the YOLT route with this one.
  • walter1985walter1985 Rotterdam
    how about Bond after leaving MI6 living a dream life with Madeline and then Felix gets himself into trouble and asks Bond to help him?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    walter1985 wrote: »
    how about Bond after leaving MI6 living a dream life with Madeline and then Felix gets himself into trouble and asks Bond to help him?

How about not?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Shagging Dan's Bond is clearly a dangerous buisness. There's only Lucia who has survived.

I wonder why M was killed?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Interesting @Thunderfinger

So me and my mate went to see Skyfall in the cinema. When M was dying, really emotional like, my mate turned round and said, not so subtly - "F*** me James!"

He's ruined that scene!

How about not?

How about James Bond gets an assignment and along the way, he meets someone new, never once mentions Dr Swann, and definitely doesn't whine about Vesper?
    I suppose, in AVTAK while wining and dining Stacy with his home made quiche, Bond could have emoted and teared up that things hadn't worked out with him and Octopussy. But, I'm glad he didn't. I'd like Dan and Bond 25 to follow that tradition.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    ToTheRight wrote: »

How about not?

How about James Bond gets an assignment and along the way, he meets someone new, never once mentions Dr Swann, and definitely doesn't whine about Vesper?
    I suppose, in AVTAK while wining and dining Stacy with his home made quiche, Bond could have emoted and teared up that things hadn't worked out with him and Octopussy. But, I'm glad he didn't. I'd like Dan and Bond 25 to follow that tradition.
    Thank you!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The main reason I'd be very much OK with Craig returning for a 5th film is to finally get to watch his Bond do some kickass stunt/escape in an action scene and having the Bond theme played full blast at the same time, which hasn't happened in his era yet.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I have a feeling it won't. I don't think the Eon people are keen on using the Bond Theme during the action sequences anymore because it's "too cliche and Bond pastiche". Although, a first, we did hear a brief blast of the Bond horns in Spectre when he was chasing Blofeld's helicopter.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @ClarkDevlin you need to explain to me why playing the Bond theme during an action sequence is 'Bond pastiche/cliche', but playing it during the DB5 reveal is perfectly fine. Not aiming it at you, my friend, but at EON. :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Which is a damn shame. The Bond theme during action scenes was something I always enjoyed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2016 Posts: 28,694
    I have a feeling it won't. I don't think the Eon people are keen on using the Bond Theme during the action sequences anymore because it's "too cliche and Bond pastiche". Although, a first, we did hear a brief blast of the Bond horns in Spectre when he was chasing Blofeld's helicopter.

We also get it when he succeeds in raising the falling helicopter back into the air in the SP PTS, so it's not dead. And it was more present than in SF, as I only remember it appearing when Bond makes the jump to the next train carriage in pursuit of Patrice. I don't know if I'd count the DB5 moment as it's not a moment of action, and we're talking about wanting more moments were the theme is used during action here.

In SP a definite missed opportunity was blasting the Bond theme as Madeleine and Bond race out of the smoke cloud left by MI6's destruction during the finale.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

We also get it when he succeeds in raising the falling helicopter back into the air in the SP PTS, so it's not dead. And it was more present than in SF, as I only remember it appearing when Bond makes the jump to the next train carriage in pursuit of Patrice. I don't know if I'd count the DB5 moment as it's not a moment of action, and we're talking about wanting more moments were the theme is used during action here.

In SP a definite missed opportunity was blasting the Bond theme as Madeleine and Bond race out of the smoke cloud left by MI6's destruction during the finale.
    Agreed, but I do love the TB nod in the "Westminster Bridge" track.
    It's not dead yet but it's not used enough.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Once at the start with the gunbarrel, and then once again in a very pronounced and pure fashion during an action sequence is enough in my view.

Then I'd like to hear it interspersed within, and as a component of, an original composition like Barry used to do so well in the later years.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It would be interesting to hear Newman's process while making his score, and why he approached it how he did. The recycling in SP just feels mismanaged to me, and a sign that maybe he wasn't in it for keeps.
    Gunbarrel, Kickass action scenes and maybe even a slow seductive version is when it should be used. A minimum of 3 times, Either in full or half. I don't want a brief fanfair that's a few seconds long.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,622
    bondjames wrote: »
    Once at the start with the gunbarrel, and then once again in a very pronounced and pure fashion during an action sequence is enough in my view.

Then I'd like to hear it interspersed within, and as a component of, an original composition like Barry used to do so well in the later years.

Right, like it was used for 20 films.
    The reboot films though have made effort to be a different kind of Bond animal, for better or worse.
    I say worse.
    The breaking with certain ways of doing things has been by design.
    But I am not saying anything here that hasn't been obvious.
    Personally, I find it a failed experiment, but it really comes down to preference.
    That is, when, the tech catches up, I will be converting all of the first 20 films ( the 14 that would benefit from converting, although I might keep two versions of OHMSS) to the new improved Connery versions of those films.
    I won't bother with any re-boot film conversions as I am not interested in Sean playing in those films.
    In fact there is no need to have Connery versions of the Craig films other than maybe SP.
    I might order the Connery SP, but I don't think there would be much demand for Connery versions of the first three films.
    Edit:
    Actually, a young Connery in Campbell's CR might be interesting, but QoS and SF, fugettaboutit.
    I wouldn't want the Connery Bond persona subjected to all that drama.
    timmer wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Right, like it was used for 20 films.
    The reboot films though have made effort to be different, for better or worse.
    I say worse.

Well said.
    I want Felix to return and get with Moneypenny. :) Not my idea, Logan's.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Bond theme noticeably present in first parts of film. And at the end as well. Witness "detonation" in the soundtrack for an example.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

So in other words EoN are ashamed to be making Bond films. Bloody hell.
    They aren''t ashamed, it's up to the composer to descide how much to do with the Bond theme.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Actually the producers have the ultimate say.
    Is that why they left Logan to do whatever he wanted?
    I blame current musical trends where scores automatically have to be boring, droning repetitive, themeless and bland. That's not just happening to Bond but nearly every other movie franchise out there. The Zimmer effect as it were.
    You certainly don't hear any themes from modern filmmaking ranked as some of the greatest and in the ranks of the best of old, save maybe for Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings work.
    It's all the same minimalist violins looping the same few notes over and over again with a horn blast every now and then with low note droning topped on now. I HATE IT! I want Bold bombastic themes! Melodies and motifs heck even a jingle or two.

Give me this!

Not this!
    I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I'd love to see this theme incorporated, someway, somehow in the future: