The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Its Dalton birthday? Ha ha!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Happy Birthday, Timothy Dalton. <:-P
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Dalton also shares his birthday with another classically trained actor - Gary Oldman.

I don't think he was classically trained, although I'm willing to be put right on that. He went to RADA and quit early, much the same as Roger Moore did.

I think that Dalton spent a few years with the RSC in the 70s, but he was already an established actor by then rather than a young actor studying his craft.

I may be wrong. Laziness stops me from googling this. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2016 Posts: 45,489
    Artemis81 wrote: »
    Ha, Happy Birthday Mr. Dalton, one of my favorite Bonds and we have the same birthday! :-bd

Happy Birthday to you as well, @Artemis81!

How old are you? Tigers never get older than 20, and that is in captivity. Let s hope you are not a wild one.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    YO TIMBO Happy Birthday to my favourite Bond.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited March 2016 Posts: 543
    Happy Birthday to you as well, @Artemis81!

How old are you? Tigers never get older than 20, and that is in captivity. Let s hope you are not a wild one.
    Thank you. Well, I'm not a wild or captive one, but certainly older than 20 and still going strong. :P

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Are you really 81? Good age to go...
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited March 2016 Posts: 543
    Are you really 81? Good age to go...
    Lol! 81 is the year I was born. I did get a nice present though, I got the Live and Let Die Soundtrack in vinyl! I can't wait to play it.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I have never seen Penny Dreadful but just saw a commercial for it. Dalton looks great and still has an incredible screen presence. I would go see a one-off Bond film with him in a New York minute. Hey, Star Wars is doing a wide range of films in various timeframes, why not bond.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I have never seen Penny Dreadful but just saw a commercial for it. Dalton looks great and still has an incredible screen presence. I would go see a one-off Bond film with him in a New York minute. Hey, Star Wars is doing a wide range of films in various timeframes, why not bond.

SW can move around with a large cast of characters. Bond is essentially about one man, and if we did try to create the character in different periods of time there is a chance of quality control going out of the window. Eon keep tight control of the series.
    My favourite Jimmy Bond. :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

SW can move around with a large cast of characters. Bond is essentially about one man, and if we did try to create the character in different periods of time there is a chance of quality control going out of the window. Eon keep tight control of the series.

Not to mention that it's a hell of a strain to put on an actor of 70. I once suggested DTV animated Bond films, so as not to interfere with the cinematic series. I still would be interested in such a thing happening. An animated adaption of Property Of A Lady, with Timothy Dalton lending his voice to Bond? Yes please.
    Timbo definitely needed to do one more but circumstances are what they are. I think a third one could have changed his whole legacy (as long as it was good!)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    This forum has helped me regained my appreciation for Dalton.

And better understanding why cousins appreciate Dalton all the more.

Yea wish Dalton had had the level of talent Craig has had ...even Brosnan faired better in some respects.

Dalton deserved so much more.
    Dalton was one of my favorite Bonds. I liked the dark aspect of Bond that others comment on (verging on brooding at times), his toughness, occasional brusqueness, the sense of humor (though some think his Bond didn't have much humor), more "everyman" than "posh", and the sense that he could be a lethal killer. I think that, while Dalton may not have fit the Bond image perfectly, the bigger problem just may've been that the stories and dialogue of Dalton's Bond movies were not as solid or moving as in others.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Anyone mentioned this by any chance?

Dalton is said to star in a comedy about the power struggle after Stalin's death. Also featuring Michael Palin and Steve Buscemi as Khrushchev.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/566248/showbiz/showbizabroad/monty-python-star-in-film-comedy-about-death-of-stalin
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 337
    Interesting. Who is Dalton playing?

EDIT: Never mind, I read the article. Looks interesting indeed.
    He is beginning to move in to the elder statesmen roles, it's to be expected.
    NicNac wrote: »
    He is beginning to move in to the elder statesmen roles, it's to be expected.

Dalton could still kick ass!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I still think Dalton is fit enough to get his own 'Taken' style action film that will be a surprise hit and make him enter the older action stars club of Denzel, Neeson and co.
    I honestly don't think he will play the lead again. He didn't really crack it in the 70s and 80s apart from Bond. Hard to see how he would achieve it now. If a Liam Neeson type role comes up, it would in all likelihood be offered to ...Liam Neeson.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    One can dream, @NicNac. ;)
    One can dream, @NicNac. ;)

Where would we be without dreams?

And if he ever does get a Neeson type role you can flag this discussion up and place my proverbial nuts in a vice. ;)
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,645
    I saw the Everything or Nothing doc yesterday and then it occured to me that Tim would've been good as Quint , the fisherman should there be a Jaws remake.

I know....perish the thought of a remake. But I still stick to that Dalts would deliver the goods in that role.
    Dalton approached to reprise his role in Dr Who series finale.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/836240535?-13683:5804:0
    Looks like Dalton won't be appearing in the Death of Stalin after all. His name was left out of the press release announcing the start of filming
    http://deadline.com/2016/06/armando-iannuccis-the-death-of-stalin-starts-shoot-adds-cast-closes-deals-1201775532/

Maybe we'll hear news of another movie or film soon, especially as Penny Dreadful has been cancelled. Sadly Dalton is a seriously underrated actor. We need more of him!

Dalton putting on a weird American accent:
    Is there a film Dalts did that might be considered his "third" Bond film? I think people have mentioned The Informant as a possibility but I'm not sure.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Permission to Kill is a fine spy film, in which he plays an important part.
    I'm still with Nic Nac in that, of all the Bond actors, he's the one that physically looks better suited to television.

Hopefully he'll do another mini- series soon.