Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    talos7 wrote: »
    I think he could have been a very charming, yet intimidating 007; he really had both qualities.
    I assume you're talking about McMahon and not Jamie Bell, right?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Lol, yes. that comment wasn't there when I was typing. :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    I think he could have been a very charming, yet intimidating 007; he really had both qualities.

He meant me, I believe!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

He meant me, I believe!

I'm sure you would knock either candidate out of the park.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Well, by the time the trilogy was made popular, Connery wasn't Bond, either.
    True.
    No, there was a bit of overlap in the mid 60's. The firs "Man With No Name" film was released in 64

No name? I thought his name was Joe.

Yep, Joe in A Fistful of Dollars

Manko in For A Few Dollars More

and Blondie in TGTB&TU

The Man with No Name was a publicity stunt done by the Americans when the films were released in the USofA. I prefer The Dollars Trilogy if they have to go under a name.
    Julian McMahon was considered. I recall seeing some stuff online about him up for Bond. Guess we'll never know if he was a really serious candidate or not.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 9,782
    Throwing a new name out there Alex O'Loughlin Australian currently plays McGarret on Hawaii 5.0 iS 39 and like Andrew Lincoln could bring in big numbers in the US

Wait a minute he was up for bond in 05 but was passed over as being too young... Yeah maybe
    I could never imagine Julian McMahon as Bond. I thought he was awful and Eurotrash as Dr Doom and frankly, he was too keen on self-promoting in front of the media instead of proving himself a worthy candidate.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Throwing a new name out there Alex O'Loughlin Australian currently plays McGarret on Hawaii 5.0 iS 39 and like Andrew Lincoln could bring in big numbers in the US

Wait a minute he was up for bond in 05 but was passed over as being too young... Yeah maybe

Maybe ..maybe not as far as numbers. Personally I'd rather slit my wrists than see him play Bond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,692
    Alex O'Loughlin is a plank of wood, I'm afraid. I tried to watch Hawaii 5-0 for Scott Caan and Daniel Day Kim, but this guy just kills all excitement.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Alex O'Loughlin is a plank of wood, I'm afraid. I tried to watch Hawaii 5-0 for Scott Caan and Daniel Day Kim, but this guy just kills all excitement.

I could only stomach about 5 minutes of Hawaii 5.0 and that guy whatever his name is totally forgettable.

He makes ... what's his name...??? The superman guy?? ..whomever ...well THAT guy look entertaining.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    An article of 36 suggestions for the next Bond. We have seen most of them in thousands of lists but still I thought it would be cool to show you the article

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/08/36-actors-who-could-be-the-007th-james-bond/4/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 40,531
    Only made it a few entries into that before giving up. If the author of that is recommending Rooney Mara as Bond, then I have no hope for the rest of the suggestions in that list.
  • RC7RC7
    Szonana wrote: »
    An article of 36 suggestions for the next Bond. We have seen most of them in thousands of lists but still I thought it would be cool to show you the article

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/08/36-actors-who-could-be-the-007th-james-bond/4/

It wasn't cool.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    RC7 wrote: »
    Szonana wrote: »

It wasn't cool.

Well I thought everyone would like to see a more professional take on the Bond suggestions.
    but no, the thing is the media's opinion on Bond its very much like your average joe.
    Unless the writer says he is a huge Bond fan they have the more common concept of the character.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    Only made it a few entries into that before giving up. If the author of that is recommending Rooney Mara as Bond, then I have no hope for the rest of the suggestions in that list.

So you're saying that Emilia Clarke wouldn't make a good Bond? ;)

I recently discovered a book written by two casting directors who worked on CR. Its' called "A Star Is Found: Our Adventures Casting Some of Hollywood's Biggest Movies. The women behind it had a hand in the worldwide search for the new Bond in TLD, GE and CR.

Some of the revelations they make about CR are really interesting. For instance, the initial plan was to case someone in their mid 20s - however, they would settle for someone in their mid 30s.

Alex O'Loughlin was a big contender, but his age turned out to be an issue. There was a general consensus that he would be a good Bond in a few years.

article-0-1A7A68D400000578-153_634x563.jpg

Henry Cavill, at 22, was seen as masculine but lacked sense of mastery required for the part of 007.

Cavill then:
    henry-cavill---natal.jpg

Cavill now:
    _main_henry_1.jpg?itok=ch87Scov

What is most interesting is the revelation that Ewan McGregor screentested for the part! Here's a photo of him circa 2005:
    le-beau-ewan-mcgregor.jpg

Also there is confirmation that Orlando Bloom and Heath Ledger were mentioned as possibilities. Both Karl Urban and Julian McMahon withdrew themselves from the process.

The most feasible candidate today would be O'Loughlin. He's got a bit of edge to him, he sorta remind me a little of Tom Hardy.

tumblr_lwvnib9qMu1ql035ho1_500.jpg
    AOLww_tattooThurs_noshaveNov_110614.jpg
    106399_d0649b_1.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    O'Loughlin is one of the most boring actors out there. Only way EON could make an even worse choice would be to pick Jai Courtney or Sam Worthington as Bond. Hell, even friggin Bruce Willis' recent movie performances are more exciting than O'Loughlin.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Much as I disliked SP, seeing some of these recent suggestions makes me long for Craig to remain Bond well into his 60's.
    If we're seriously going to consider such 'actors', I'd rather just cast Liam Neeson* as Bond for 3/4 films (given how much he works these days he'd have no problem making a new outing every 2 years) until some proper candidates appear.

* If Craig quits, of course.
    Henry Cavill would be perfect... If only he could act!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2016 Posts: 5,131
    I don't agree that Hiddle has a nice voice. I much prefer Aidan Turner's voice.

Hiddleston's voice captures the Eton-esque/ Fettes (Public School boy) tone (and English charm) that will work for Bond (which an American audience will love). Turner....well.....doesn't.

bondjames wrote: »
    Much as I disliked SP, seeing some of these recent suggestions makes me long for Craig to remain Bond well into his 60's.

Indeed. I'd much rather have Craig stick around. Looking at that picture of the 22 year old Cavill, I can picture a scenario of him having done, CR. Then Brosnan returning Diamonds Are Forever style for the 2008 follow up as the Cavill CR turns out to be an embarrassing experiment. By 2012 we would have had a new Bond for the 50th anniversary.The film we all know as Quantum Of Solace simply wouldn't exist in this universe.
    I could see Craig sticking around for one more, possibly. To be honest I'm not convince by any potential successor so far.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I don't agree that Hiddle has a nice voice. I much prefer Aidan Turner's voice.

Hiddleston's voice captures the Eton-esque/ Fettes (Public School boy) tone (and English charm) that will work for Bond (which an American audience will love). Turner....well.....doesn't.
    Then the Americans must really have disliked all the previous Bonds then, as none of them has this magical posh accent you claim they're going to lap up with Hiddles.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Other than Moore, none of the Bonds had that posh British English accent.
    That's correct, @ClarkDevlin. And even Moore had to have elocution lessons to get rid of his Sowf Lunden accent, as he originally sounded like Michael Caine.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Indeed!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    bondjames wrote: »

hit the nail on the head... they all seem so blah...