edited August 2016 Posts: 11,139
    giphy.gif

Awesome shot

tumblr_obs3zjuSh21v48w4qo2_250.gif tumblr_obs3zjuSh21v48w4qo6_250.gif
    tumblr_obs3zjuSh21v48w4qo3_250.gif tumblr_obs3zjuSh21v48w4qo7_250.gif
    tumblr_obs3zjuSh21v48w4qo4_250.gif tumblr_obs3zjuSh21v48w4qo1_250.gif
    tumblr_obs3zjuSh21v48w4qo5_250.gif tumblr_obs3zjuSh21v48w4qo8_250.gif
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Trailer looks fine. Some nice looking shots and locations. Love the beach setting with the AT-AT's
    Still haven't seen any shots of Mads Mikkelsen, either still or trailer yet. Certainly keeping him wrapped up.
    Roll on December.
    the girl from Brum is awesome, she's flying the flag for my hometown.
    Yes, it looks beautifully lensed. But I think we might be witnessing a modern phenomenon in cinema for the new millennium where the trailers are all infinitely better than the final product.

I'm also not sure whether Miss Poutyface is going to grate on me when I watch the finished film. From the snippets shown I'm finding her dialogue a bit misplaced; almost as if it comes from a completely different franchise. I suppose at least the producers are showing more faith in Felicity Jones by including her dialogue in the trailers, unlike the wooden string bean Daisy Ridley who was wisely put on mute throughout the promotional campaign.

Now I'm not going to draw comparisons with the new Ghostbusters where one isn't needed, but this feisty princess idea was a novel approach in the original series, but it feels like it's been overworked and pushed up front and centre in the New Wars Sagas when it really hasn't earned the right to be just yet. I'm getting a feeling of a lot of box ticking going on behind the scenes, but with no real desire to unearth an original concept to take the story or series forwards.

But it sure looks nice though. And that Mr Edwards knows how to get a nice shot and tick the right boxes. The Godzilla trailer looked good, too. It almost fooled me into thinking there was a great film version coming out. That's before I saw the final product, of course.
    I think she's supposed to be unlikable until she redeems herself with her, I presume, sacrifice at the end - that does look like Vader's ship she runs towards with a gun?

But this film needs to be compared to DC's crap/idiot fest SS. A group of mercs sent on dangerous mission with a 96.6% chance of failure. Disney will show you how it's done Warner Bros, I hope.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Yes, it looks beautifully lensed. But I think we might be witnessing a modern phenomenon in cinema for the new millennium where the trailers are all infinitely better than the final product.

I'm also not sure whether Miss Poutyface is going to grate on me when I watch the finished film. From the snippets shown I'm finding her dialogue a bit misplaced; almost as if it comes from a completely different franchise. I suppose at least the producers are showing more faith in Felicity Jones by including her dialogue in the trailers, unlike the wooden string bean Daisy Ridley who was wisely put on mute throughout the promotional campaign.

Now I'm not going to draw comparisons with the new Ghostbusters where one isn't needed, but this feisty princess idea was a novel approach in the original series, but it feels like it's been overworked and pushed up front and centre in the New Wars Sagas when it really hasn't earned the right to be just yet. I'm getting a feeling of a lot of box ticking going on behind the scenes, but with no real desire to unearth an original concept to take the story or series forwards.

But it sure looks nice though. And that Mr Edwards knows how to get a nice shot and tick the right boxes. The Godzilla trailer looked good, too. It almost fooled me into thinking there was a great film version coming out. That's before I saw the final product, of course.

I thought similar regarding miss sullen, she is coming across as borderline obnoxious. Its only a trailer so I will reserve judgement until I see the film, though she for me is not very likable at this point.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I did not like this trailer at all. What are Disney doing to this franchise?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I enjoyed the trailer. It's very ominous. Given some of the absolute rubbish CGI landscapes we've been subjected to over the past few years (including from the latest Bond effort), it's good to see the original masters of the game appear to take it to another level, as they did with TFA.

From the trailer at least, this film appears much darker than TFA, and that's ok with me. However, I'm not sure how well it will go down during the festive season. It's a fine line to walk.
  • RC7RC7
    Death Star: Check. Vader: Check. ATAT: Check. Williams' themes: Check. Looking forward to a SW film that moves out of home against the wishes of its parents.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,696
    RC7 wrote: »
    Death Star: Check. Vader: Check. ATAT: Check. Williams' themes: Check. Looking forward to a SW film that moves out of home against the wishes of its parents.

The least popular Craig Bond film is precisely the one that dumped all the franchise's baggage. Vice versa, the biggest success of that franchise is the outing which re-introduced most cliches (Q, Moneypenny, gadgets, gadget-equipped car, Bond theme during the film, vodka martini shaken not stirred).
    The score here may use William's themes, but it is by Alexandre Desplat. It will be a killer score most probably and different enough from what has come before.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

The least popular Craig Bond film is precisely the one that dumped all the franchise's baggage. Vice versa, the biggest success of that franchise is the outing which re-introduced most cliches (Q, Moneypenny, gadgets, gadget-equipped car, Bond theme during the film, vodka martini shaken not stirred).

I would say the biggest success of the era is CR. The one that kept the essence, but brought something new to the table. They will neuter the SW series unless they make some sort of genuine attempt to switch it up.

The joy of the original SW, for me anyway, was that you got a brief glimpse into a vast universe. That is exciting because your imagination builds the rest of it. With this newfangled juggernaut gathering pace, all those things I had imagined are suddenly at risk of being committed to film and in all likelihood will never live up to expectations. I don't want to see a definitive story involving the young Han and Lando, I prefer the hazy, half-remembered daydreams I had as a kid. In much the same way I never wanted to see the epic clash between Obi-Wan and Anakin. It was never going to live up to expectations.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Han Solo' prequel is looking for a non-white female lead to join the cast:

http://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-han-solo-movie-sana-solo/#more-368709
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,235
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Jesus

Jesus

No no, I said "non-white female lead." I don't think Jesus is in the running for the role.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,235

Jesus

No no, I said "non-white female lead." I don't think Jesus is in the running for the role.

Haha. Not quite what I meant, but nice one! ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    The score here may use William's themes, but it is by Alexandre Desplat. It will be a killer score most probably and different enough from what has come before.

Very true. Desplat is a terrific composer and elevated the last 2 Potter films.
    John Williams will begin scoring 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' in a few weeks:

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-8-john-williams/
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    John Williams will begin scoring 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' in a few weeks:

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-8-john-williams/
    Compare the time he has to do this with the time given to a Bond composer (a few weeks at best if I'm not mistaken). It's no wonder we have a different quality in the scores.
    From what I hear people don't like the Ep 7 score. I like it very much.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It wasn't as good as his older work but there were some good tracks in there.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I enjoy the TFA score as much as those of the other six films. It sits proudly with the rest of my Star Wars soundtracks, just like the Shadows of the Empire score does.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited August 2016 Posts: 1,257
    New Rogue One International trailer with some new footage and dialogue

All the Vader trailer hype was over done really! Literally a second or two!
    They shouldn´t have put him in the trailer at all. He´s probably not longer than that in the whole movie. Now lots of people think it´s a film about Vader, like they thought SS is a film about the Joker. And then everybody is confused and complains when the film comes out.
    That's a fair point @boldfinger. They have to be careful managing the expectations on this.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 140
    Disney and Lucas are in a bit of a weird spot with R1. Essentially this is a story for Star War geek fans. People who luuuuuuuve Star Wars films, books, comics and now Rebels.

The problem is that they want to make it appeal to casual movie goers in N.America and to the International markets where they've secured new fans with the Force Awakens.

I would go for a great movie rather than smoothing out the rough edges to gain box office in N.America and the International Markets. I'm not liking that Edwards has been frozen out of the post and editing process.

Grating chickens.
    Meanwhile, Daisy Ridley has been busy... with Barbra Streisand and Anne Hathaway :

And the complete song :

If she does a musical in London (or anywhere in Great Britain, in fact), I'm there !

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    We all know that Han Solo used the Millennium Falcon to smuggle "spice".

Really? He was a drug smuggler, I am certain of it. Just take a look at that dirty hippie Chewbacca.