"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That's frightening!
    Shatner.jpeg
    Cue...

Now that is awesome news. I love the Original Series era. So this will be set three years after The Cage. Now that gets me really excited. :D
    Cage2.png
    Me too set right at the core of Trek, potentially seeing younger versions of familiar characters I like that idea. I hope it has some of the more far out ideas like TOS, the show itself seems fitting in Star Treks 51st year.
    Plus it leaves potential in revisiting classic TOS locations. It would also be nice to see some new types of ships with the TOS design aesthetic. Like the Star Trek II Miranda class. latest?cb=20130928111303&path-prefix=answers

I've been waiting for something like this. The 24th century era got 3 whole shows dedicated to it. It's nice to see the 23rd century get a fresh look.

Regarding the ship's with modern TV the way it is they can go quite expansive, just look at what they did with the Federation in DS9. Will be interesting to see how faithful the set designs are to that era (tweeked possibly), also the sound design and episode scores I hope they hint at TOS at the very least.
    I'm sure they will. I hope they get Michael Giacchino on board to score. His work on the Reboot films have been very good and a lot of the action music evokes classic style Trek action music. Especially this track.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Double post.
    I have the film score for Into Darkness some great themes, love the Kronos Wartet.

Yes that's a great track as well. I'm excited to see more of Discovery and how it will look.
    Okay my set has arrived! Sadly there isn't much to it. Just the discs. No booklets or anything. But it does come with everything the Remastered DVD's came with so that's good. I can't wait t rewatch the series in viewing perfection!
    feYYWMZh.jpg
    uq28Lblh.jpg
    Murdock wrote: »
    Okay my set has arrived! Sadly there isn't much to it. Just the discs. No booklets or anything. But it does come with everything the Remastered DVD's came with so that's good. I can't wait t rewatch the series in viewing perfection!
    feYYWMZh.jpg
    uq28Lblh.jpg

It's great to have that set on BD, though for 50th would have expected a bit more for sure.

feYYWMZh.jpg
    uq28Lblh.jpg

It's great to have that set on BD, though for 50th would have expected a bit more for sure.

A nice thing is all the discs are labeled by season and have the episode names on the disc so It's easy to find the one with the episode you want to watch on it. I remember when I wanted to watch certain episodes on the remastered sets, I had to pull out a set of cards with the list of episodes on them and that got annoying after a while. But having the episode names written on the disc is great. I wish they colored the discs by seasons too. Season 1 be gold, Season 2 be blue and Season 3 be red, but hey, it's great to have it though.
    On the set I have on BD they have the episodes on the reverse of the cover inside the cases, so have to remove the disks to see the list :/ Same colour coding as my set. Think they have added very little to the 50th sets across the board, though the cases do look good.
    Mine was in a special sleeve on the back behind the discs so it was a little easier. The case is really nice. That and the thing that holds all the discs are made of a nice durable soft plastic that won't break or crack easily so that's a plus. I'm glad it also came with the DS9 episode Trials and Tribblations like it did on the remastered set. That's my favorite DS9 episode.
    Hey that's cool I am still waiting for them the remaster all of DS9, I can't believe they have not done it yet. In fact I have been putting off re watching the show as I want to revisit DS9 in high definition.
    Sadly I don't think that's going to happen. I heard that the remastered versions of TNG didn't sell too well so that probably scared CBS into remastering DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.
    Sadly I don't think that's going to happen. I heard that the remastered versions of TNG didn't sell too well so that probably scared CBS into remastering DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.
    That is a shame they have all of DS9 on Netflix in the UK currently though I may as well watch my old vhs tapes. To be honest CBS priced TNG remasters very high, though that's probably relative to cost new effects etc.
    That is a shame they have all of DS9 on Netflix in the UK currently though I may as well watch my old vhs tapes. To be honest CBS priced TNG remasters very high, though that's probably relative to cost new effects etc.

Yeah they did the same thing with TOS. I remember the remastered seasons were $120 per season! I scored the complete series on Bluray for $50.
    Just checked Amazon you can now get the BD set I bought for £45 or less, earlier in the year they cost me just under £100 in total I bought them separately. [-(
    Ouch! They say good things come to people who wait. Now I can believe it. :O
    Amazon UK is Russian roulette with prices, I have had a few good deals over time, prices fluctuate a lot. New set you bought would have pushed the BD I purchased price down.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    13920220_10154379129927403_6824514294472990731_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/08/12/star-trek-discoverys-ship-design-still-evolving

For those not sure about the new ship design, Fuller states the ship is still evolving.
    I'm super excited I khannnn't contain myself!
    5wCLWxWl.jpg
    :))
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Big news again yes. But, I think it's good to be a bit more nuanced about what Bryan Fuller revealed yeterday.

So I quote some news from my favourite website Ex-Astris-Scientia.org:

Discovery Details Revealed

Star Trek: Discovery showrunner Bryan Fuller revealed that the new series is
    "set ten years before Kirk, and will bridge the gap between Enterprise and The Original Series... We can play with all the iconography of those ships and those uniforms."

As he had already announced on previous occasions, Fuller said Discovery will be like a:
    "novel over thirteen episodes."

Fuller's hint about the storyline is rather cryptical:
    "There's an incident and an event in Star Trek history, that's been talked about but never been explored. To do this series, we're telling a much more serialized story, to dig deep into a very tantalizing [storyline]. And we have a character who's on a journey, and in order to understand something that is alien she first has to understand herself."

The event he alluded to is not the Kobayashi Maru, not the Battle of Axanar and not the Earth-Romulan War. The lead character according to Fuller will be a female lieutenant commander (not a captain). But the rank comes with:
    "some caveats".

She may be
    "diverse".

Fuller said:
    "We haven't cast her yet, so we don't know what level of diversity she will be."

He also confirmed:
    "Absolutely we're having a gay character."

Familiar characters won't appear for the time being. Fuller will:
    "Be looking in the second season to open up to more familiar characters and how they can feed into the [show]. First and foremost, I think we really want to convince you and establish the greatness of the [new] characters that are going to be introduced. We'll probably have a few more aliens than you normally do in a Star Trek cast,"

One of these aliens will be named Saru. The show will be more graphic than previous Star Trek incarnations. Fuller:
    "It will probably be slightly more graphic content. We discuss language every day. Is it appropriate for somebody to see a bridge blow up and say 'Oh shit.' I imagine we're going to shoot scenes a couple of ways and see what feels more authentic in the editing room."