The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Nine times as many Norwegians prefer Clinton as Trump.No wonder.
    Troy wrote: »
    Considering the real pain and trauma caused by
    Even the Neocons are afraid of what Donnie says he'll do as President.

Yeah, right.

Former Acting CIA Director Mike Morell: I want to scare Assad, kill Iranians & Russians covertly:

MICHAEL J. MORELL: I Ran the C.I.A. Now I’m Endorsing Hillary Clinton.
    There will be loads of idiots supporting Hillary, but that says nothing about what she'd do or not do.

@troy if you think international politics will be solved by bullying and torture then by all means support Trump. For that's what he said he'd do. For bullying has always stabalised other countries, and murder and torture have always brought peace and prosperity, right? You're absolutely right. Because NeoCons FU before, it's only right to make it even worse. Ten, in history, they won't look that bad....

Ah, yes, Project Fear is alive and well. Must stay with the current Establishment - otherwise there will be war, famine, pestilence and drop in house prices.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,119
    But I do think I share the same worries......or for that sake same 'sentiment' as @BondJames.

Many people in here know I admire Hillary Clinton. Many people also know that @BondJames is more critical about Hillary Clinton. But I do think, like @BondJames, that the presidential race is far far from over.

Despite the Trump campaign being in complete shambles and Hillary Clinton consistently leading with double digits in various national polls (It seems that even Arizona, Georgia and even South-Carolina seem to be up for grabs, which is bad news for Trump), I still think Trump has a chance to win the elections.

Because, like @BondJames, I agree that Trump isn't an ordinary candidate. Any establishment candidate could pack his bags at this stage of the campaign. Here are a few reasons why I think Trump can still realistically win it:

A) The conventions were taking place much earlier in the race than previous recent election years. So despite the fact that the DNC took place almost two weeks ago, we still have a full 3 months to go. Leaving open way more 'surprises', and also more room to reset a campaign and become another 'come-back-kid'.

B) And an 'October Surprise' really is on its way. As we know already, WikiLeaks did some serious damage with regard to the Democratic National Committee (pro-Russian hacker Guccifer 2.0). Chairman Wasserman-Schultz had to step down. And ad-interim chair Donna Brazile is still busy cleaning the mess. Julian Assange already hinted that next in line of damaging leaks could be Hillary Clinton herself: https://politicalwire.com/2016/08/09/an-october-surprise-for-hillary-clinton/ . Make no mistake, @BondJames several times said that all these hacks and leaks are only sidetracks. But I think they could become damaging if new leaks give away some dirty information about one of the Clinton Foundation's 'bundlers' (people, and even foreign nations contributing $10.000,- or more). If one of these 'bundlers' have actively funded some efforts to get co-founder Hillary Clinton elected as US-Senator or...President, then that's damaging. Make no mistake, I hate men like Julian Assange, and I think for that reason he should hack Trump's tax returns. He might even imply that a former DNC-employee turned into a WikiLeaks informant and was killed for it. But fact is, the Democrats were hacked, and they should be serious about this.

C) Other 'October Surprises' could include some bad economic reports coming up around September and October, in which the Fed needs to raise the interest rates: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/job-surge-complicates-rate-hike-decision/ . The weird thing is, that the recent job growths (a good thing for the Democrats) might be a reason for the Fed to raise the interest rates as well (a good thing for the Republicans). Another 'October Surprise' could be another terrorist attack, this time an attack that could be even bigger than the one in Orlando, Florida. If it's an attack that's closer in nature to 9/11, then this could change the nature of the election cycle as well.

D) As I said before, Donald Trump isn't an ordinary candidate. To me he seems as ethically unjust and bad as our own Geert Wilders. But like Geert Wilders, he is also a damn smart mediaplayer. He knows what people vote for him. And those people may be way more forgiving as people who generally vote for establishment candidates. So when it might look as if he destroyed his chances like Dukakis in 1988 and Walter Mondale in 1984, he might actually rise up again from the ashes of a campaign in shambles....for the very simple reason that his voters admire outsiders who can rise up again from the dead. For establishment candidates that's way more difficult.

E) And that very nature of Donald Trump could be reflected in the recent polls (and upcoming polls until November 8th). Many people who are being polled could simply choose not to openly say for who they will vote, because their choice is Donald Trump. And there's still a certain stigma created in part by the media that prevents possible voters to be honest about their support for outsider candidates like Barack Obama back in 2008 (at that moment in time most definately an outsider and a 'mild populist'), and Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump during these 2016 elections. Especially supporters of Trump could be part of a 'silent majority' that feel in public ashamed about Trump, but who in the end will vote for him anyway: https://www.thenation.com/article/are-hillary-clintons-strong-poll-numbers-misleading/

Make no mistake, I want Hillary Clinton to become president. Many people know my reasons for it. I have valid reasons for it and I'm passionate about them.

But the race 'ain't over until it's over'. And my gut feeling tells me that only one guy can rise up from a campaign that is in complete self-destruct mode right now. And, I'm saddened to admit that this guy's name is Donald Trump. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the US Elections in a 2000-esque fashion. And if he does so, I will be gutted.

The only solace that Clinton supporters, like me, right now have, is the fact that Hillary Clinton is indeed doing much better in the polls than The Donald. So like @BondJames, I am realistic enough to be prepared for whatever scenario ;-). The difference is that we have some fundamental differences on who we prefer to see as the next US President.
    I somehow feel detached from this world. The Turks are rallying behind a Hitler impersonator (yes, that's right GG, this is a Godwin. But he's been actively killing Kurds for a long time now, so he's closer to one AH then anyone before), millions of people are fleeing war zones where a FU group of human-hating creatures are actively creating hell, millions of people join these refugees for a better life and risking not just everything they have but their lifes too, The EU is falling apart and instead of trying to listen to it's people this bureacratic monster is even more detached from the world, still wanting to make a deal with this Hitler-impersonator, and the last beacon we had of Western 'civilisation' has an ogre running for President and a presidential race that's so far below par it's even hard to see what's going on..

And the 21st century is only in it's second decade. Thirty years ago we all thought by now we'd heve shuttle transport between here and the moon and we'd be setting foot on Mars. This is one of those 'what the hell happened'moments in history.

I share your sentiment completely @CommanderRoss. But it's only logical. 'The West' as we know it is rapidly loosing power on this planet and with it prosperity and welfare. The first people who feel this are the people who are forced out of middle class situations. And we know what people usually see that first. On top of that, despite all the hate on other continents about 'The West', many poor people on those continents still realize that 'The West' could give them the best possible future. Hence the insane and uncontrollable immigration crisis. Make no mistake, I see this as simple natural redistribution of wealth. If you want it or not, new powers come...and go. And with it growth in population.

I have been saying this for years. And it saddens me when I think about it. But I'm afraid there's not much you can do about it. Even the Trump's and Wilders' will become disappointed if they have governed our nations for four years.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
    So ... I instantly had 70 feeds on my twitter politics thread I follow (reporters) ... check the news people. Apparently Trump just gave tonight in speech a very very veiled hint for folks to get their gun and kill Hillary. OR just arm yourself to protest her surpreme court picks OR something. Veiled. But there. The Secret Service had to issue a statement, for God's sake.
    So ... I instantly had 70 feeds on my twitter politics thread I follow (reporters) ... check the news people. Apparently Trump just gave tonight in speech a very very veiled hint for folks to get their gun and kill Hillary. Veiled. But there. The Secret Service had to issue a statement, for God's sake!

Are you kidding? Link?

I remember a New Hampshire delegate during the GOP-convention who openly said: "Hillary Clinton should be put in front of a firing squad. She should be shot!". You know, I think that really goes to far :-(. And if Trump did say something similar today.......by all means.......please go back to your Trump Tower.

***EDIT: Apparently Trump didn't say it as direct as that New Hampshire delegate: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-second-amendment-people-could-do-something-about-clinton-judge-choices/. He only implied it. Still...Mr Trump...keep away from that shit please! ***
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    So ... I instantly had 70 feeds on my twitter politics thread I follow (reporters) ... check the news people. Apparently Trump just gave tonight in speech a very very veiled hint for folks to get their gun and kill Hillary. Veiled. But there. The Secret Service had to issue a statement, for God's sake!

If he's not done in by that statement, I have no idea what's become of this country.
    The links I gave above give you exactly what was said and some reactions.
  • "At long last, Sir -- have you no sense of decency?" (or words to that effect...)
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2016 Posts: 28,694
    When will we all get to the point where we stop being shocked by anything Trump does or says? We've got months of this crap left, so strap in if you're not prepared to be rocked by idiocy for the long haul. This'll only get worse as election day nears.
    Did anyone read my longer post on top of this page? Any thoughts?
    Did anyone read my longer post on top of this page? Any thoughts?
    Hillary is bad, but Trump is worse.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »

It's a shame he can't be automatically disqualified for saying that.
    Murdock wrote: »

"He's certifiable."
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

"He's certifiable."
    Certified nutcase.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Yeah, right.

Former Acting CIA Director Mike Morell: I want to scare Assad, kill Iranians & Russians covertly:

There will be loads of idiots supporting Hillary, but that says nothing about what she'd do or not do.

Oh, yes it does. You'll see for yourself, very soon. :)
    With these two candidates, there is a clear choice. That choice is Clinton, whether you care for her or not. Trump or Clinton - one of these two will be elected, no matter how you feel about them. Worrying about what Clinton will actually do - sifting through the facts, lies, conspiracies, stories of her being totally "bought", etc. along with the visceral, pure hatred towards her - is still nowhere near enough of a challenge for voters (sane ones, with a conscience) ... compared to the consequences of Trump being president. Any concerns about her as president absolutely pale in comparison to a Trump presidency. I do not think that making a third party vote is a good idea when the possibility of Trump being elected is genuine. Just my opinion.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    At least we'll get Bill back too, so in many ways, he'll get another shot at a lot involved with the job. All Trump has is Pence and his own devil offspring (minus Ivanka, she gets spared the insults).
  • "...and now the blithe contempt for safe and civil government." Nice writing, @4Ever, thanks for the link.

"Give me a break," now says Trumpenstein. NO, you evil fraud -- YOU give US, the American people, a break! We're smart enough to get the context of your message, and you clearly stated that THIS is something you suggest the "Second Amendment People" do AFTER Hillary is elected. Your whole wretched campaign has been nothing but one long, sustained series of dog whistles -- do you think we've somehow become inured to the subsonic signals? On the contrary, you loathsome toad, we hear it clearer than ever, and your meaning is all too apparent both to the American public and to the keepers of our national security. Both the US military and the secret service have got their eyes on you now. You have lost this election -- the Republican party is deserting you in droves. Give us a break! Drop out now while the Party you clearly cannot lead still has some semblance of time to chose a new standard-bearer, and save the country you profane every time you say you and only you can make great again from the agony of having to listen to any more of your hollow, self-serving lies!
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 3,564

Yeah, right.

Sorry, @Superson. A few hours ago you could have gotten away with veiled threats like that & no one would have blinked. In a week or two maybe we'll be a bit more forgiving. Right now we're not so sanguine about these things. Please, oh please, tell us: what exactly do you mean? "You'll see"? See this: Now is the time for all good men to come clean. Be frank or begone.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Yeah, right.

How so? will she start chanelling the thoughts of her followers? Is that it? If you make a statement, please substantiate with facts.
    Trump's comments are disgusting. The USA has a history of assassination attempts on the President. Here is a list, with Presidents who died in bold::

Presidents Jackson, Lincoln, Garfield. McKinley, Teddy Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy, Nixon. Ford, Carter, Reagan and G. H. W. Bush. And Bobby Kennedy was killed as he was the Democratic front-runner.

I can not think of a country in modern times with such a record of killing their leaders like this. We say we prefer the ballot to the bullet, but certainly we lose sight of that ideal at times. If we are to be the shining example for other countries to follow--this kind of talk is unacceptable.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs @CommanderRoss

Guys, I'm not the type who wants to get in a political argument on a James Bond message board. I even do my best to avoid that stuff in real life. It creates unnecessary tension and it's usually pointless. People have their beliefs, and it's almost impossible to change them.

A few pages back I tried to make my case why I think Hillary is more dangerous for world peace. I'm certainly not a Trump supporter. He's an immoral narcissist and I could never vote for him. That said, I firmly believe Hillary is much worse.
    what exactly do you mean? "You'll see"?

This means that, come November, she will become the president, and in the course of the next four years we'll all be able see whether I was right or wrong.
    I'm checking out now. :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    what exactly do you mean? "You'll see"?

This means that, come November, she will become the president, and in the course of the next four years we'll all be able see whether I was right or wrong.
    I'm checking out now. :)
    I agree completely @Superintendent, and said as much in mid June on this thread.
    bondjames wrote: »
    If you're telling me Clinton is better on foreign policy then I have to strongly disagree. I know only one thing for certain - after 8 yrs of peace (thanks to Obama), we will have a catastrophic war under Clinton. We will revisit here once that happens, if she wins.
  • You must both tell me where you get your crystal balls. The best I can find is the Magic 8-Ball. All it ever says is, "Uncertain, ask again later."
This discussion has been closed.