The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It occurs to me that in my statement above, I may have gotten a bit wordy. Let's simplify things: "the lesser of two evils" is a statement of moral absolutes. If you're not lily-white then you must be black. Unfortunately, we live in world of endless shades of grey. Things just aren't as simple as we might like them to be.

Today is Saturday where I'm at, your mileage may vary. Tomorrow I'll attend a service in the house of worship of my choice, and in that venue maybe somebody will make a statement along the "lesser of two evils" line, and everybody will nod their heads and think, "Oh yes, most certainly." But today I'm living in the world of greys and I just don't have the luxury of that sort of moral superiority.

Dismounting from the Soapbox now. Has everybody heard about the Cat in the Hat's campaign for President?

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs, look at you, sounding like a noir detective. I'm with you though; as people around me make very binary choices, picking one extreme or another, I think to myself, "you all don't see the layers and complexities of the decisions we all make as humans, do you?" People want simple answers that make them rest easy at night (because opening your mind and actually thinking about how the world works easily drives you insane), but nothing is ever simple, and lines blur heavily between ideas of right and wrong, good and evil, etc.

"look at you, sounding like a noir detective."

saying this alone would get me banned. You're lucky you're a leftie.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    *Yawn* ....

OK - I understand about it being a gray world, with lots of layers. I understand that ferreting out corruption in government is important and ongoing. There will never have a finish line, a time when that is not necessary, you know.

My opinion - and it is only that - is that Hillary Clinton has flaws, does not have a natural campaigning personality, has made mistakes; but I do not think she is evil. That is such an extreme word. I would not even say Trump is evil, though some of his policies (granted he has not presented any fully fleshed policies, just spouting things) are tinged with evil and dangerous. I get that many people are put off by Hillary, for a variety of reasons, but I cannot say she is evil or even close to that.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    From an European point of view, personally I am not afraid of a President Trump.
    We have much more potentially dangerous people here, like Erdogan, Orban, LePen.

Trump is a clown, if he should get elected, not much would really change, to be honest I find the reactions to Trump a bit hysterical.

The most dangerous man of our lifetime in the White House was Dick Cheney. Against him Trump is merely a harmless show-man.
    We have been thru Nixon. We have been through truly bad government, with corruption.
    I am not going to say Trump is evil. Or merely joking or misguided. I do, however, think he may bit a bit mentally unbalanced. I did not think that in the spring; I just disagreed with him then and felt it was all ego driven and wild ideas. But now, I think he has a definite psychological issue that is at play (for the whole world to see). Sad. But still dangerous of course if elected.
    Part of our visceral reaction against Trump, I feel, is because of what we are witnessing some (not all, but a vocal big part) of his supporters say and do. The bigotry and racism that is continually pouring out is disgusting.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It occurs to me that in my statement above, I may have gotten a bit wordy. Let's simplify things: "the lesser of two evils" is a statement of moral absolutes. If you're not lily-white then you must be black. Unfortunately, we live in world of endless shades of grey. Things just aren't as simple as we might like them to be.

Today is Saturday where I'm at, your mileage may vary. Tomorrow I'll attend a service in the house of worship of my choice, and in that venue maybe somebody will make a statement along the "lesser of two evils" line, and everybody will nod their heads and think, "Oh yes, most certainly." But today I'm living in the world of greys and I just don't have the luxury of that sort of moral superiority.

Dismounting from the Soapbox now. Has everybody heard about the Cat in the Hat's campaign for President?

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs, look at you, sounding like a noir detective. I'm with you though; as people around me make very binary choices, picking one extreme or another, I think to myself, "you all don't see the layers and complexities of the decisions we all make as humans, do you?" People want simple answers that make them rest easy at night (because opening your mind and actually thinking about how the world works easily drives you insane), but nothing is ever simple, and lines blur heavily between ideas of right and wrong, good and evil, etc.

#-o

@Mendes4Lyfe, I'm going to use this rare occasion to try and help you out a bit. Okay?

1.) I don't know how saying @BeatlesSansEarmuffs was sounding like a noir detective is worthy of anyone being banned, even if you of all people were to say it. He was discussing the world being tinged with grays and having more complexity than the binary right/wrong, good/evil; I agreed because he's right, and that theme is discussed heavily in noirs and neo-noirs. Not getting your big fit here.

2.) Saying the things in point 1 wouldn't get you banned, Mendes. You talking like this would make people want to ban you:

"...saying this alone would get me banned. You're lucky you're a leftie."

You've been behaving yourself well since Benny and the mods spanked you over their knees and made you take a time out in the corner, but you take at least five steps back when you randomly try to make us have a pity party for you again with comments like the above. We are not responsible for you or your actions, you are.

3.) I'm not a leftie, not a rightie, not an anything is this political sphere. I am me, nothing more. I don't care for classifications, labels, yada yada, as more often than not they only serve to separate us from each other and ultimately convince us all that we are different at a base human level (like separate species), when we really aren't (though we really like to think so at times).

In addition, I don't need anyone, especially you, telling me who or what I am, past, present or future. If I wanted to watch someone pretend to know me and my life path, I'd consult a crystal ball or seek out a tarot card reader.

The truth is Mendes, we're all trying to get along with you. Trying our very, very hardest at that. But you just make it so goddamn hard sometimes. Surely you're aware by now that what you're saying is not how you discuss things with people. Surely you realize you don't make friends acting as you do. Common sense in humans dictates that anyone who acts as you do at times would have to be self aware of where they're misstepping, if it isn't already made abundantly clear to them by all the PMs they're getting, being told by others to cool their jets.

So one has to wonder why you do this kind of thing at all, if you truly realize how bothersome and childish you so often come off to us. If how we feel isn't or hasn't been apparent, however, surely you've been clued in following the PMs sent to you by the mods. I assume that after reading those PMs you heard our criticisms on some of your actions loud and clear after all, signaled by your cries a few days ago, when you spammed the threads of the forum's front page with your childish moaning and wrote in every post you could that nobody liked you and that you were a "train wreck" along with an assortment of other weak attempts at noble self-deprecation.

(By the way, one of the worst ways to redeem yourself to a group of people is by doing exactly what you did that day, as it makes you seem more than a little immature, unsophisticated and too small for your britches)

So in conclusion, if you now know why the things you do upset us (as it's impossible at this point for you not to know), why keep repeating all those same behaviors over and over? Do you think we'll all just get used to it after a while and grow to deal with your influence silently, like a cancer taking over cells? Do you not want to be liked? Surely you want to be appreciated and looked at favorably, as all your posts following your chat with the mods revolved around you crying out for attention, pity and adoration from all of us. The big issue is, Mendes, many of us seem to think that you've always known exactly what you're doing. That you purposely offset people with your immature and classless way of operating in discourse, and that you are never unaware of the many bumps you place in the way of our discussions.

So you've got two options here, now that you know how we feel:

1.) You grow up, act your age and actually try to behave as a respectable forum member or...

2.) You find another forum to leech on to.

If you continue operating as you have, don't be surprised if you get the axe. You've received your warnings, and you'll get no more. We're not trying to be cruel or unusual here, just giving you the facts and the state of play as they are now. Do with this what you will.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Part of our visceral reaction against Trump, I feel, is because of what we are witnessing some (not all, but a vocal big part) of his supporters say and do. The bigotry and racism that is continually pouring out is disgusting.
    This is Trump's greatest threat to America IMO. Legitimizing pseudo self empowering stupidity.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,215

#-o

@Mendes4Lyfe, I'm going to use this rare occasion to try and help you out a bit. Okay?

1.) I don't know how saying @BeatlesSansEarmuffs was sounding like a noir detective is worthy of anyone being banned, even if you of all people were to say it. He was discussing the world being tinged with grays and having more complexity than the binary right/wrong, good/evil; I agreed because he's right, and that theme is discussed heavily in noirs and neo-noirs. Not getting your big fit here.

2.) Saying the things in point 1 wouldn't get you banned, Mendes. You talking like this would make people want to ban you:

You've been behaving yourself well since Benny and the mods spanked you over their knees and made you take a time out in the corner, but you take at least five steps back when you randomly try to make us have a pity party for you again with comments like the above. We are not responsible for you or your actions, you are.

3.) I'm not a leftie, not a rightie, not an anything is this political sphere. I am me, nothing more. I don't care for classifications, labels, yada yada, as more often than not they only serve to separate us from each other and ultimately convince us all that we are different at a base human level (like separate species), when we really aren't (though we really like to think so at times).

In addition, I don't need anyone, especially you, telling me who or what I am, past, present or future. If I wanted to watch someone pretend to know me and my life path, I'd consult a crystal ball or seek out a tarot card reader.

The truth is Mendes, we're all trying to get along with you. Trying our very, very hardest at that. But you just make it so goddamn hard sometimes. Surely you're aware by now that what you're saying is not how you discuss things with people. Surely you realize you don't make friends acting as you do. Common sense in humans dictates that anyone who acts as you do at times would have to be self aware of where they're misstepping, if it isn't already made abundantly clear to them by all the PMs they're getting, being told by others to cool their jets.

So one has to wonder why you do this kind of thing at all, if you truly realize how bothersome and childish you so often come off to us. If how we feel isn't or hasn't been apparent, however, surely you've been clued in following the PMs sent to you by the mods. I assume that after reading those PMs you heard our criticisms on some of your actions loud and clear after all, signaled by your cries a few days ago, when you spammed the threads of the forum's front page with your childish moaning and wrote in every post you could that nobody liked you and that you were a "train wreck" along with an assortment of other weak attempts at noble self-deprecation.

(By the way, one of the worst ways to redeem yourself to a group of people is by doing exactly what you did that day, as it makes you seem more than a little immature, unsophisticated and too small for your britches)

So in conclusion, if you now know why the things you do upset us (as it's impossible at this point for you not to know), why keep repeating all those same behaviors over and over? Do you think we'll all just get used to it after a while and grow to deal with your influence silently, like a cancer taking over cells? Do you not want to be liked? Surely you want to be appreciated and looked at favorably, as all your posts following your chat with the mods revolved around you crying out for attention, pity and adoration from all of us. The big issue is, Mendes, many of us seem to think that you've always known exactly what you're doing. That you purposely offset people with your immature and classless way of operating in discourse, and that you are never unaware of the many bumps you place in the way of our discussions.

1.) You grow up, act your age and actually try to behave as a respectable forum member or...

If you continue operating as you have, don't be surprised if you get the axe. You've received your warnings, and you'll get no more. We're not trying to be cruel or unusual here, just giving you the facts and the state of play as they are now. Do with this what you will.

I only agree with some of this post. That's my opinion.
    Yes. And basically now we have No. Korea, plus Putin and whoever else (read: authoritarian dictator with evil or semi-evil rep) who are publicly saying Trump would be good as president. So here's this (no surprise, really):

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

#-o

I only agree with some of this post. That's my opinion.

Can't say I'm surprised you don't have an interest in changing. That's my opinion.

Just try and remember the people who made an honest effort to help you from yourself when you log into the forum one day and find you've been banned. Cheers.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Trump is done.
    Anybody who wants to see a return of Bush Jr. era torture should first experience all the delightful little methods themselves first. The anal probing, hanging from a ceiling by only your wrists until you lose any sense of feeling, the calm sensation of feeling as if you're drowning.

Then maybe it'll click with Trump that any Johnny Jihad he wants to torture will spit up any story or name he can to make it stop...and they do. Let's just hope that this time around Trump is torturing actual terrorists, and not the endless innocents that experienced that unique brand of so-called American justice at the hands of Bush's administration.
    Trump just a bit ago, on his temperament:

And more fully his talk on waterboarding, just if you feel inclined to get the fuller context of that:
    Trump uses the words "win" and "winning" so much Charlie Sheen might try to sue him soon for copyright infringement over it. Next thing you know Trump will take a moment during one of his speeches to quench his thirst with some Tiger Blood. "You know that taste, folks? That taste is winning. Crooked Hillary doesn't know that taste. She tastes losing. She's a loser." Reading his quotes in text from, you could confuse his sentence structure and word usage with that of a four-year-old learning their first words. His aptitude for speech and communication is below a third grade level.

On the torture thing, now he's adamantly supporting full-on escalation with ISIS. "They do monstrous things, we've got to do monstrous things. It's the only way!" Yeah, all right...

Apparently we shouldn't negotiate with terrorists, but it's okay for us to try and beat them at their own sadistic game. That, America is allowed to do. Is that how we're going to be "great again?"
  • No, we're going to be great by using our nukes on them. Shall I find a link to the national security adviser who had to tell Trump several times in a short briefing that no, he couldn't just nuke the terrorists -- or has everybody seen that one already? Doesn't really matter, I suppose -- no one's really paying any attention to the election until the debates, anyway. Or is it just that the election's already been fixed because that's the only way Trump's really going to lose? It must be true -- I saw it on the internet!
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, but you don't understand. Trump will be the last one, I repeat the last one, to go "nuclear" (talking as if it's a fad or something). That stuff you said he said is a lie. I know, I read it on the internet.

[Condescending parody over]

;)
  • He'll be the last one to go nuclear because once he shoots off the whole bloody US nuclear arsenal, that's it. Game over. And that's why you & I may laugh, but we both know the subject really isn't very funny. :-O
    I really do not know how on earth he can handle a real debate. At all. This will be more train wreck TV. I am not just saying that to be mean; truly. Look at the way he speaks when not in a debate. The primaries for him were hardly really debate practice. Very different having Hillary Clinton to debate against.
    “Congress couldn’t find a way to get money to fight Zika but they found a way to force me to take a Rorschach test. I passed with flying colors. Best score ever. I told those Freudians that all the ink blots looked like the way America used to be." =))

I must say, the dialogue written for Trump used too many big words (for him) like "temperament," "unhinged" and "parsing," so that ruined the illusion for me and made it hard for me to hear him saying them.

Speaking of which, one of my favorite dumb Trump moments was when he said, "I know words, I have the best words." Man, he gets possessive about everything, doesn't he? :))
    Yes when I started reading it, it reminded me of your writing in his voice, Brady. ;)
    So what about reading the Constitution? Bill of Rights? NATO treaty? Anything .... ? This may be how he typically reads (seems to have a narrow focus)
    Again: humor alert for people who wish to avoid overt humor regarding Trump ~

• I didn't read it. Not about Trump at all. From that failure paper the NY Times. I didn't laugh. Not once. Not even at the line about Hillary being such an angry white person she should be one of his supporters.

Ooh, too many words in one sentence. Just because Trump has all the best words doesn't mean he should be too generous with them. Man, this parody stuff is hard!
    This whole Trump business is like 8 years ago with Sarah Palin as VP.

Only that I really, really, really, wanted to shag Sarah, badly!

:))
    Since I live in a very blue state I was playing with the idea of throwing Jill Stein my vote just to encourage a third party... but her VP pick is for s**t. Oh well, I am taking Bernie's advice & voting for the Hill... :-??
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 3,564

I suspect "badly" is the only way that particular act can ever be achieved. Not that I have any personal knowledge to share here... >-)

So did a number of men. She was a contradiction on so many levels. A woman who preached the sanctity of marriage, racial intolerance and abstinence to her kids and everyone who would listen was far from that in her own life. Here's Sarah at her best.

After her graduation, Sarah returned to Alaska and worked on the sports desk of Anchorage television station KTUU. On weekends, she'd sometimes appear on camera, delivering sports reports during the 10:00 PM newscast.

Her attitude toward people of color was evolving. In Anchorage, she even dated black men. A friend says, "Sarah and her sisters had a fetish for black guys for a while."

Each year, over Thanksgiving weekend, the University of Alaska hosted a basketball tournament called the Great Alaska Shootout, featuring some of the country's best teams. In 1987, one of the top squads to visit Anchorage was the University of Michigan, led by six-foot-eight junior Glen Rice, number 41.

Rice would lead Michigan to the NCAA Championship in 1989, appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated and setting a scoring record for the NCAA tournament that stands today. After graduating from Michigan as the school's all-time leading scorer, he starred in the NBA for fifteen years.

Whether in her professional capacity as a sports reporter or simply as a basketball groupie who'd begun to find black men attractive, Sarah linked up with the Rice during the weekend tournament. One friend recalls, "They went out. I suspect it was more than that. I can't say I know they had sex, but I remember Sarah feeling pretty good that she'd been with a black basketball star."

In one version of the story, Sarah's encounter with Rice took place in her sister Molly's dorm room at the University of Alaska Anchorage. "She hauled his ass down," a friend says, "but she freaked out afterward. Hysterical, crying, totally flipped out. The thing that people remember is her freak-out, how completely crazy she got: I fucked a black man! She was just horrified. She couldn't believe she'd done it."

Glen Rice remembers the weekend quite differently. When I spoke to him by telephone in March 2011, he said, "I remember it as if it was yesterday. She was a sweetheart. I met her almost as soon as we got out there."

Rice does not recall being in a university dorm room. "We hung out mostly at the hotel where the team was staying," he told me. "We just hit off. In a short time, we got to know a lot about one another. It was all done in a respectful way, nothing hurried."

"So you never had the feeling she felt bad about having sex with a black guy?" I asked.

"No, no, no, nothing like that," Rice said. "Even after I left Alaska, we talked a lot on the phone. I think right up until the time she got married. She was a gorgeous woman. Super nice. I was blown away by her. Afterward, she was a big crush that I had. I talked about her for a long time. Only good things. She was a well-rounded young lady. It's amazing the way that's stayed with me. I think the utmost of her and I felt that way from the start."

"No, no, no, nothing like that," Rice said. "Even after I left Alaska, we talked a lot on the phone. I think right up until the time she got married. She was a gorgeous woman. Super nice. I was blown away by her. Afterward, she was a big crush that I had. I talked about her for a long time. Only good things. She was a well-rounded young lady. It's amazing the way that's stayed with me. I think the utmost of her and I felt that way from the start."

Poor choice of words, there. #-o

Poor choice of words, there. #-o

yeah I wish I was blown away by her

well I have a weakness for such women...I mean my favourite woman ever is Elizabeth Hurley.

I watched that GoldenEye special 100 times only to see her in those fabulous dresses and poses! Coming down the stairs etc. :))
This discussion has been closed.