The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• edited August 2016 Posts: 2,341
    The Republican party is a shambles. Trump is not the cause he is indeed an effect.
    This horror story began like 50 years ago to the 1960's....

Working class whites especially in the south felt betrayed by LBJ and his signing civil rights legislation. Johnson had been a good old boy segregationist himself since the 1930's but in 1964 he envisioned this great society and felt that civil rights was a part of the evolutionary process. The south never forgave him, seeing their priviledge and the world as they knew it disappearing.

Enter the GOP who saw the time as ripe to peel off working class voters away from the Democrats.
    For the next few decades the GOP, always viewed as the party of the corporate elite and 1% was constantly having to do a balancing act between placating these new voters (religious right, working class whites, and yes, racists) and promote their "corporate elitist agenda".
    Now with all the laws permitting abortion, women's rights, LGBT rights, and yes civil rights...the fridge elements began to panic. Hell, look at the Oval Office the President is a bi racial man with an Arabic middle name.
    Instead of denouncing the silly disrespect and the screaming that Obama is not American, the GOP let these idiots have their voice. Hell they even screamed beside them (knowing goddamn well that President Obama is 100% legit)...Add all the gridlock and frustration with congress they turn to an outsider: Donald Trump.

A Trump Presidency is a frightening thought (I doubt he has a chance of winning)

What scares me is what comes after this fiasco. These fringe elements of the GOP may put up an ugly woman hating, racist asshole in the next elections. Not some show man like Trump but someone who knows how to navigate the political waters...that's terrifying.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My terrifying thought is that the GOP finds a charismatic man or woman of colour that is totally self-hating & willing to sell out to the owners of their souls...
  • Let's deal with one nightmare at a time, gentlemen. Sufficient unto the day the demagogues thereof...
    Let's deal with one nightmare at a time, gentlemen. Sufficient unto the day the demagogues thereof...
    Yes. Of course.
    I think (or perhaps it's more like hope) that the Trump phenomenon is something of a one time thing. It's been one of those situations where he's the "right" man at the "right" time, for want of a better comparison.

Primarily, I think he has the media to thank for his rise. The insane amount of free publicity they've given him, at the expense of the supposed fair time regulations, has been staggering. He's been on TV almost nonstop since last June, despite the fact that it's been clear from the beginning that he's unfit for the office of president. Despite whatever opinions are out there about his 16 contenders, I think it's fair to say that most of them at least pass some kind of basic qualification for fitness to be president. I couldn't see any of his 16 contenders making an outright mockery of both the process and, potentially, the office then Trump has and stands to do.

He also got lucky that there was such a large field. A smaller initial field, I think, would have ended a Trump candidacy early on in the process. He got the chance to turn the initial debates into a mudslinging contest, as those debates that featured 10 candidates resulted in candidates having to try to upstage Trump in order to get attention rather than attacking him on policy. A smaller initial field, as we saw with the Democrats, could have made the debates focused on policy much early on, where Trump would have stumbled. He performed poorly at the later debates, which were more policy-based, and had the early debates resembled those, a Trump candidacy could have been over with fairly early on.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    You are spot on, @TripAces, with your observations.

And yes, I noticed, Beatles, that Trump threw people holding copies of the Constitution out of his rally. How well will that play with GOP leaders. Hmmm. You really could not make this up, this entire election year.
    Trump is like a nuclear reactor with faulty cooling rods....
    ship of fools ...

and what is for this election a very minor incident: "Love trumps hate" .... but not here:

• edited August 2016 Posts: 3,564
    According to current polls, the Trump campaign is in free-fall as the American public appears to have finally heard too much from the freewheeling candidate. The Republican party wonders how they can possibly get their Presidential campaign back on track. I recommend this helpful suggestion from The Big Lebowski:

• edited August 2016 Posts: 11,119
    These are two men I admire as of today :-). Both, incredibly sexy, but IMO 'sexy' when it comes to their beliefs and convictions. And I will be saddened to see one of them leaving the public stage as of January 20th....:
    Justin_Trudeau_and_Barack_Obama.jpeg
    35CDBF3A00000578-0-image-a-64_1467256643442.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    o-JUSTIN-TRUDEAU-BARACK-OBAMA-570.jpg?16
    35CD506A00000578-0-image-a-59_1467256582776.jpg

I keep feeling positivity and warmth when I hear those two chaps :-).
    The world's greatest businessman is watching free falls elsewhere. The Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City will close next month. More than 2,100 employees will lose their jobs. Also, bookings are down by 59$ at Trump hotels/ The hotel suffering the most is on Trump’s home turf in New York: Trump SoHo is down 74% in bookings, Vegas 71%, Toronto 47%, Chicago 31%, and Atlantic City 17%.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,159
    FLeiter wrote: »
    The world's greatest businessman is watching free falls elsewhere. The Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City will close next month. More than 2,100 employees will lose their jobs. Also, bookings are down by 59$ at Trump hotels/ The hotel suffering the most is on Trump’s home turf in New York: Trump SoHo is down 74% in bookings, Vegas 71%, Toronto 47%, Chicago 31%, and Atlantic City 17%.

But more importantly, how are Hillary's hotels faring?
    Ufff:
    Charles Krauthammer: “Of course we all try to protect our own dignity and command respect. But Trump’s hypersensitivity and unedited, untempered Pavlovian responses are, shall we say, unusual in both ferocity and predictability.”

“This is beyond narcissism. I used to think Trump was an 11-year-old, an undeveloped schoolyard bully. I was off by about 10 years. His needs are more primitive, an infantile hunger for approval and praise, a craving that can never be satisfied. He lives in a cocoon of solipsism where the world outside himself has value — indeed exists — only insofar as it sustains and inflates him.”

“Most politicians seek approval. But Trump lives for the adoration. He doesn’t even try to hide it, boasting incessantly about his crowds, his standing ovations, his TV ratings, his poll numbers, his primary victories. The latter are most prized because they offer empirical evidence of how loved and admired he is.”
    FLeiter wrote: »

But more importantly, how are Hillary's hotels faring?

Don;t know about Hillary, but Bill's Motel 6 tab hit a grand last week. Dat ol' dawg.

In France, a publishing house is republishing Sinclair Lewis's "It Can't Happen Here". I think the cover they chose says it all :

519dqTku8XL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Gerard wrote: »
    In France, a publishing house is republishing Sinclair Lewis's "It Can't Happen Here". I think the cover they chose says it all :

Surely one can't be so nonchalant? My understanding is that Le Front National is seeing an increase in popularity of late, which is surely a far more disturbing prospect imho.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Why disturbing?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »

Surely one can't be so nonchalant? My understanding is that Le Front National is seeing an increase in popularity of late, which is surely a far more disturbing prospect imho.

Donald Trump has a lot in common with Jean-Marie Le Pen. If anything that he hijacked the Republican Party is just as disturbing as the FN popularity right now.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Why disturbing?
    Indeed. Perhaps only for those who applaud unfettered globalism, ignore increasing income disparities, worship the EU, and fear populism and nationalism. I suspect we will be told by the MSM why it is so disturbing and how the world is about to end early next year, if the polls tighten.
  • Why disturbing?

Personally, I think Trump's mutant tribble-coif looks tres disturbing. That is what they're showing on the cover, is it not?

• edited August 2016 Posts: 2,341
    Trump and his campaign is an embarrassment.
    He was never serious about running and never expected to get this far but his ego and general flair for the showman will not let him submit to the RNC or their advice. May he continue to burn and let there be a big landslide come November as he loses.
    The GOP has lost the Supreme Court
    They gonna lose the White House
    They will lose several key seats in the House and the Senate as well thanks to them backing the wrong horse's arse.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Ufff:
    Charles Krauthammer: “Of course we all try to protect our own dignity and command respect. But Trump’s hypersensitivity and unedited, untempered Pavlovian responses are, shall we say, unusual in both ferocity and predictability.”

“This is beyond narcissism. I used to think Trump was an 11-year-old, an undeveloped schoolyard bully. I was off by about 10 years. His needs are more primitive, an infantile hunger for approval and praise, a craving that can never be satisfied. He lives in a cocoon of solipsism where the world outside himself has value — indeed exists — only insofar as it sustains and inflates him.”

“Most politicians seek approval. But Trump lives for the adoration. He doesn’t even try to hide it, boasting incessantly about his crowds, his standing ovations, his TV ratings, his poll numbers, his primary victories. The latter are most prized because they offer empirical evidence of how loved and admired he is.”

Here is what is so interesting about Krauthammer's take, along with those of other conservatives: they don't see that their own hatred, vile rhetoric, and general intolerance has fueled the movement that brought Trump to this point. They created the monster. They have to own it.
  • New poll numbers: ex-KKK leader David Duke is more popular with black voters than Donald Trump.
    Trump is going down. The media has been given the 'fire at will' command. Hill was hand picked, and she will be POTUS. Vote for whomever you like now, it's a done deal.
    I don't feel good, just better. :P

So folks who are now trying to cancel a recurring donation to Trump ... cannot do so. Trump's site does not allow it. :( Geez ...
    SOP for the Trumpster.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Exactly what signs do we have to look upon to suggest that Trump has finally outlived his welcome?

And if so, the more important question is why it's taken until this point for the ignorance to wear off for people? He's not changed at all from jump, and only worsened in his appeal since he was made the GOP candidate.
    Exactly what signs do we have to look upon to suggest that Trump has finally outlived his welcome?
    When FAUX news shoots at a 'Republican' you know a high up plug has been pulled.

This discussion has been closed.