The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2016 Posts: 8,159
    Another brutal takedown of left-wing rhetoric:

Another brutal takedown of left-wing rhetoric:

A man with a big beard. Combed moustache. Wearing a Victorian/Neo-gothic suit.

People with so much narcistic tendencies need to be stopped. That's all I have to say. And @Mendes4Lyfe? Please do NEVER insult me again with your comments about the LGBT-community. It's because the moderators in here have a certain laissez-faire mentality. But I would have blocked you immediately.
  • @Gustav, just because this forum doesn't have a blocking mechanism, doesn't mean you can't do it yourself. I personally have put @Mendacious4Lyfe on permanent block in my own internally-audited system. You can do that too!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Well. I actually watched this. Totally insulting and that is putting it as mildly as I can. I hear you, though, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs.
    Well. I actually watched this. Totally insulting and that is putting it as mildly as I can. I hear you, though, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs.

Tried watching it but couldn't make it all the way through. Quite frankly it was disgusting.
    It IS disgusting. I made myself watch it. Absolutely no place for that crap on this forum.
    Agreed on that.

And conservatives wonder why the group as a whole has a hard time being taken seriously these days. It's nonsense like that which drowns out the rational voices on the right.
    Exactly.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I personally find it amusing and a little soul shattering (used to be a lot more soul shattering) when some people, usually conservatives that I've seen, say that gay marriage is an infringement on their freedom of religion. Michele Bachmann tried to argue this on national TV once, and I laughed harder than I would watching a Carlin comedy taping. It takes a very special person to argue against two consenting adults seeking matrimony. I don't look forward to all the mental facilities tax payers are going to have to fund to house them all inside down the line either.

So much of how people stand up for their beliefs now is all about playing the victim. Some act like they're in a big competition to out suffer everyone else, to prove on a soapbox how much more hate, injustice, oppression and more they face, with very flaccid arguments to back it all up. This is all largely because they're often times the ones doing what they're fighting against to another group (Bachmann and her lot, again), while real people face real issues every day beyond their trivialities. Poverty, police militarization and prejudice should get their due time, sure, but first we've got to deal with how the beliefs of "good hearted" Christians are being pummeled to death with a steel pipe by the LGBT community? Give me a break. The LGBT community are treated like a new mafia that is threatening to tear the image of America to shreds, which is amusing and pathetic at the same time to think there's those out there that believe it. No, they just want the same rights as a man and a woman under marital law, and desire those so-called unalienable rights we're all supposed to have the moment we're born.

The internet has deceived people (the keyboard warriors) into thinking that the world cares about their overblown problems, and now everyone thinks they're an expert on anything and can complain about anything, despite how trivial it all is and no matter how little they care to look into their actual "theories" before they begin spouting them.
    Also it is insulting to me personally. I am a Christian and for sure this jerk in the video does not represent my beliefs one iota. You have some good points, Brady. Oh and they call it a "brutal takedown". Which is at least laughable. I think some people have truly lost their mind; or at least their soul, yes.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Also it is insulting to me personally. I am a Christian and for sure this jerk in the video does not represent my beliefs one iota. You have some good points, Brady. Oh and they call it a "brutal takedown". Which is at least laughable. I think some people have truly lost their mind; or at least their soul, yes.

@4EverBonded, yes, I know many with a faith like yours that are completely upstanding, and it's a shame religions have been taken hold of by a few crazies, leading the world to generalize to the entire lot based on that group's belief systems. Some in my school of thought would say to get rid of all religious belief entirely, but I just don't think that's sound or even 10% possible. I think for some religion is needed in their lives, and while I don't agree with a lot of it, I get where they're coming from. To discount it on the face of it so quick is to turn your back on the concept of faith and how complex a thing it is for some. It's only when religion is used as a divisive tool to shoot hate speak from (as Bachmann and her cronies have been doing) that I take real issue with it all. When religion enters the political sphere, you see an ugliness unlike any other.

What do you mean by "brutal takedown" by the way? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

@4EverBonded, yes, I know many with a faith like yours that are completely upstanding, and it's a shame religions have been taken hold of by a few crazies, leading the world to generalize to the entire lot based on that group's belief systems. Some in my school of thought would say to get rid of all religious belief entirely, but I just don't think that's sound or even 10% possible. I think for some religion is needed in their lives, and while I don't agree with a lot of it, I get where they're coming from. To discount it on the face of it so quick is to turn your back on the concept of faith and how complex a thing it is for some. It's only when religion is used as a divisive tool to shoot hate speak from (as Bachmann and her cronies have been doing) that I take real issue with it all. When religion enters the political sphere, you see an ugliness unlike any other.

What do you mean by "brutal takedown" by the way? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

That's how the poster who posted the video introduced it.
    Yes I was referring to Mendes' statement he posted it with. That is what he called it; therefore, we can assume he agrees with this illogical bigoted crap.
    Oh, okay. Sorry for the confusion on my side. 8-}
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 1,631
    To be fair, it was brutal. ;)

Just not in the way that it was advertised.
    Indeed, @dalton. :)
    It seems like people here have completely missed the point of the video. Its not about pointing a finger at the LGBT community, or any group. Its about the left reducing everything down into a simplistic yes or no question.

@Gustav I have no problem with gay people and I wasn't insulting you. If something I said triggered you, I'm sorry, but I don't think I said anything particularly controversial.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    It seems like people here have completely missed the point of the video. Its not about pointing a finger at the LGBT community, or any group. Its about the left reducing everything down into a simplistic yes or no question.

@Gustav I have no problem with gay people and I wasn't insulting you. If something I said triggered you, I'm sorry, but I don't think I said anything particularly controversial.
    All you did was posting an anti-gay video with which you seem to agree, as you called it 'a brutal takedown' instead of 'a highly bigotted rant' which it actually is. That's all. And now you're pretending you didn't want to insult gay people. Odd.

Oh, and you've highly insulted some Christians here too. But you don't seem to care about that.

You keep on insulting people here without any intent on an intelligent discussion. Why is that? Is your daily life so boring you have to come online and post videos of irrational bigots seeking attention? Just out of curiosity. What drives a person to make him- or herself hated? Do you feel so helpless and powerless that this is the only joy you get? Or are you one of those short-sighted people who still think the internet is an anonymous place?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It's because the moderators in here have a certain laissez-faire mentality. But I would have blocked you immediately.

Please feel free to PM me an explanation for that little dig Gustav_Graves, hmm?

In the mean time, to all and sundry remember this from the terms and conditions -

you may not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. If, for any reason, you fail to adhere to this, your admittance to the board maybe subject to short or long term access exclusions.

So, we are reading and watching guys.

All you did was posting an anti-gay video with which you seem to agree, as you called it 'a brutal takedown' instead of 'a highly bigotted rant' which it actually is. That's all. And now you're pretending you didn't want to insult gay people. Odd.

Oh, and you've highly insulted some Christians here too. But you don't seem to care about that.

You keep on insulting people here without any intent on an intelligent discussion. Why is that? Is your daily life so boring you have to come online and post videos of irrational bigots seeking attention? Just out of curiosity. What drives a person to make him- or herself hated? Do you feel so helpless and powerless that this is the only joy you get? Or are you one of those short-sighted people who still think the internet is an anonymous place?

In order to insult someone wouldn't I first need some kind of resentment of them? I have no problem with LGBT people or Christians. I'm not quite sure where you're getting that from.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

In order to insult someone wouldn't I first need some kind of resentment of them? I have no problem with LGBT people or Christians. I'm not quite sure where you're getting that from.

The posts and pages above this one. And yes, ordinarily I'd think people needed some reason, resentment, to do this kind of thing. Hence my question, you seem to act otherwise. Or haven't you actually seen the video you posted?

The posts and pages above this one. And yes, ordinarily I'd think people needed some reason, resentment, to do this kind of thing. Hence my question, you seem to act otherwise. Or haven't you actually seen the video you posted?

Yes, the video is a criticism of left-wing rhetoric and how it reduces debate down to a simply 'agree or disagree' question. One example the guy uses (along with others) is gay marriage. Gay marriage is a huge debate with many arguments and perspectives, but the left (including Bill Maher) reduces it to a simple issue of 'are you against love, or not?' Which is overly simplistic and reductionist.

That was the point of the video. Ironically, you seem to have made the exact same mistake by labelling the video 'anti-gay' and me, the poster, as some kind of bigot. Its what we call a 'smear and jeer' argument.

Exactly. He put it up with that statement. So no, you cannot act innocent, Mendes4Life. You are not, though you are not backing off ... very Trump like actually (never apologize, twist things around). Irony, oh yes. But not the way you think.

The video is insulting to anyone with a brain and your attitude towards presenting and defending yourself now is simply transparent, frankly. Nothing more to say about it. Move along now ... we can find other things to share and discuss reasonably here.
    So that recent escapade reminds me. We can do better with our discussions here. Otherwise this is all, you know, this:
  • I personally find it amusing and a little soul shattering (used to be a lot more soul shattering) when some people, usually conservatives that I've seen, say that gay marriage is an infringement on their freedom of religion. Michele Bachmann tried to argue this on national TV once, and I laughed harder than I would watching a Carlin comedy taping. It takes a very special person to argue against two consenting adults seeking matrimony. I don't look forward to all the mental facilities tax payers are going to have to fund to house them all inside down the line either.

So much of how people stand up for their beliefs now is all about playing the victim. Some act like they're in a big competition to out suffer everyone else, to prove on a soapbox how much more hate, injustice, oppression and more they face, with very flaccid arguments to back it all up. This is all largely because they're often times the ones doing what they're fighting against to another group (Bachmann and her lot, again), while real people face real issues every day beyond their trivialities. Poverty, police militarization and prejudice should get their due time, sure, but first we've got to deal with how the beliefs of "good hearted" Christians are being pummeled to death with a steel pipe by the LGBT community? Give me a break. The LGBT community are treated like a new mafia that is threatening to tear the image of America to shreds, which is amusing and pathetic at the same time to think there's those out there that believe it. No, they just want the same rights as a man and a woman under marital law, and desire those so-called unalienable rights we're all supposed to have the moment we're born.

The internet has deceived people (the keyboard warriors) into thinking that the world cares about their overblown problems, and now everyone thinks they're an expert on anything and can complain about anything, despite how trivial it all is and no matter how little they care to look into their actual "theories" before they begin spouting them.

It's called "projection" and the world is full of projectors. We obviously need more screens... ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Doesn't the person on the video have a right to make his point about simplification of political discourse? I thought that point was quite salient. He is doing it satirically, which was clearly stated at the beginning of the video.

How is this different from Charlie Hebdo? Those cartoonists had a right to free speech and so does the gentleman in the video.

Why is everyone attacking @Mendes4Lyfe so viciously? I don't see any evidence at all that he is anti-gay. The same goes for @PanchitoPistoles. Yet they have both been accused of such on this thread. To me, that just proves the point in the video, that political discourse has become about bullying and labelling.
    I'm actually not even anti-gay marriage. If a church wants to wed two people they should be allowed to. That's up to them. However, I don't think that a church should be forced to do it. Thats just bullying, it doesn't matter how noble the cause. So I'm actually very libertarian on the issue.

My parents were refused from a Church because they already had children and the Church didn't agree with sex before marriage. What did they do? They found another church. Problem solved. No need for a social justice witch hunt.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,159
    bondjames wrote: »
    Doesn't the person on the video have a right to make his point about simplification of political discourse? I thought that point was quite salient. He is doing it satirically, which was clearly stated at the beginning of the video.

How is this different from Charlie Hebdo. Those cartoonists had a right to free speech and so does the gentleman in the video.

Why is everyone attacking @Mendes4Lyfe so viciously? I don't see any evidence at all that he is anti-gay. The same goes for @PanchitoPistoles. Yet they have both been accused of such on this thread. To me, that just proves the point in the video, that political discourse has become about bullying and labelling.

You are a far greater linguist and orator than me, @bondjames. Thanks for summing up perfectly both the point of the video, and my reasons for posting it. Spot on.
    NicNac wrote: »
    It's because the moderators in here have a certain laissez-faire mentality. But I would have blocked you immediately.

Please feel free to PM me an explanation for that little dig Gustav_Graves, hmm?

In the mean time, to all and sundry remember this from the terms and conditions -

you may not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. If, for any reason, you fail to adhere to this, your admittance to the board maybe subject to short or long term access exclusions.

So, we are reading and watching guys.

Pretty Orwellian stuff.
This discussion has been closed.