The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• Colbert is a spineless fool and a hypocrite. He will NEVER attack Hillary like he attacks Trump, and don't tell me he wouldn't have enough material.

You may not agree with his position or like his comedy, but Colbert is neither a fool nor spineless. He made fun of GW Bush to his face (performing in his right-wing buffoon persona) while the Shrub was still in office at a Press Club dinner. Surely any open minded critic of the comedic form recognizes that it takes some kinda cojones to take on The Prez in a forum of that sort!
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 725
    Agree that Stein and Johnson may cancel out the protest votes. It all depends if more moderate Rep. leaning voters who might have been so anti-Trump, they would have otherwise voted for Clinton are lost Clinton voters. Who knows. I thought Clinton was effective tonight even if he went to long, but giving long speeches is in his DNA. He is still a very talented, natural speaker. Hillary ain't.
    Bill is a talented speaker, but I have a very hard time believing anything that comes out of either of their mouths. I'm sure he did a decent job of humanizing her, but at the same time, if he thought that it would benefit him (and her) to paint her as something else, he would have done so.

Whichever way the political winds are blowing is the direction those two will go in. So, whatever it is that he had to say (I'll probably get around to watching it at some point), I seriously doubt it would sway me one way or the other. It just is what it is.
    Clibton can pander which I never liked about her along with the baggage that makes her a problematic candidate. However, I don't fear her finger on the nuclear trigger the way I fear Trump's. Of the 4 of them, I like Kaine and wish he was at the head of the Dem's ticket.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Politicians are political animals. The system is political. We are having to work within the system to change it. So let's do that.

Doing the best we can to elect people who will serve with honor, along the lines that we personally feel are important ... someone who will be effective, brave, strong yet not always unyielding, who will listen, will persevere, make well considered decisions, truly care about every person in our society (across the board, all "kinds" and "levels" or "classes" ... any label you'd like to apply) ... and be a leader - it is not easy, but that is our task as citizens. People (even candidates!) are never one dimensional. No candidate is 100% this or that. Have they made mistakes? Yes, all of them. It is up to us to try to choose the best we can.

It is easy to give blanket statements or to trash any of them (in politics, in general). Any side. Very easy. Looking at facts, comparing records, experience, and current policies and ideals - that takes effort on our part. But it is important to make the best decision we can, and I will add: especially now.

Oh some of you may say our vote is worthless anyway; it doesn't really count, our leaders are always "bought and paid for" and have been for decades and now more than ever. I'm hearing that a good deal. I disagree. Having the privilege and right to vote does matter. Work to improve the system we have - yes, always. But don't turn your back on it or make your vote a joke. Even if it were completely true that our leaders are puppets who are bought by secret masters (yes! villains ruling this world! call them Lizards, Aliens, Bilderbergs, or Kardashians!) ... it still matters that you vote, that you try, that you don't give up. It matters that you have some level of personal dignity and basic politeness when communicating with others. Respect. For all. It is really needed now.

This is the most fractious time I can remember - and I've been through Nixon as well as Dubya. We simply need to do our best, the best we can to make things better .... but that starts now, with our conversations in this country, and for sure with our vote in November.

There. I'm done. But thanks for letting me get this bit out. After all the far beyond rude comments I have read on social media (and I am not talking about this forum), I just wanted to say this today. Hatred and bigotry and threats of violence (of the most revolting kind); all growing. Fresh air is needed; the world is quite poisoned right now. And I don't want to contribute to the poisoning any further. Talk with reason, talk with some measure of politeness. I want us to stand as tall as we can and vote and keep working to make our system better. Preferably without trashing others right, left, and middle. Including the politicians. Including each other no matter how we disagree.

It is very polluted now. I want that to change, and that change to take root before November. I mean that. And it's not impossible.
    I think Trump is going to lose a lot more voters to Johnson than Hillary loses to Stein.

That's not what the polls are telling us: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5952.html
    I think Trump is going to lose a lot more voters to Johnson than Hillary loses to Stein.

That's not what the polls are telling us: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5952.html

Let's see what happens three weeks from now, when all the convention excitement has died down a bit. Then the people who are included in these polls can make up their minds a bit better. Especially after the insane amount of (foreign, terrorist) news.

Still, Trump did get the largest post-convention bounce ever for a GOP-candidate since Bush in 2000. And on top of that, the polls were starting to decline for Clinton two weeks before the GOP-convention.

My gut feeling this week is this: People simply are negative and pessimistic these days. Even a more positive, optimistic message can backfire a bit, because people want a candidate who is not just negative/pessimistic himself, but who shares in the pessimism.

That's why the Clinton campaign will have a hard time selling themselves. This goes for all establishment politicians these days. Not just Clinton.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The very same liberals that are calling Trump out for being a sexist are happy to call his wife a 'slutbucket' on twitter. Classy.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 11,119
    The very same liberals that are calling Trump out for being a sexist are happy to call his wife a 'slutbucket' on twitter. Classy.

Like Bernie Sanders said the other day:

OlQHban.jpg
  • I think Trump is going to lose a lot more voters to Johnson than Hillary loses to Stein.

The polls at this particular point in time are particularly meaningless. Trump's just had his post-convention bounce, Hillary hasn't had hers yet. Wait & see, Panchito. I'll be interested in seeing the polls after the first debate...
  • Politicians are political animals. The system is political. We are having to work within the system to change it. So let's do that.

Doing the best we can to elect people who will serve with honor, along the lines that we personally feel are important ... someone who will be effective, brave, strong yet not always unyielding, who will listen, will persevere, make well considered decisions, truly care about every person in our society (across the board, all "kinds" and "levels" or "classes" ... any label you'd like to apply) ... and be a leader - it is not easy, but that is our task as citizens. People (even candidates!) are never one dimensional. No candidate is 100% this or that. Have they made mistakes? Yes, all of them. It is up to us to try to choose the best we can.

It is easy to give blanket statements or to trash any of them (in politics, in general). Any side. Very easy. Looking at facts, comparing records, experience, and current policies and ideals - that takes effort on our part. But it is important to make the best decision we can, and I will add: especially now.

Oh some of you may say our vote is worthless anyway; it doesn't really count, our leaders are always "bought and paid for" and have been for decades and now more than ever. I'm hearing that a good deal. I disagree. Having the privilege and right to vote does matter. Work to improve the system we have - yes, always. But don't turn your back on it or make your vote a joke. Even if it were completely true that our leaders are puppets who are bought by secret masters (yes! villains ruling this world! call them Lizards, Aliens, Bilderbergs, or Kardashians!) ... it still matters that you vote, that you try, that you don't give up. It matters that you have some level of personal dignity and basic politeness when communicating with others. Respect. For all. It is really needed now.

This is the most fractious time I can remember - and I've been through Nixon as well as Dubya. We simply need to do our best, the best we can to make things better .... but that starts now, with our conversations in this country, and for sure with our vote in November.

There. I'm done. But thanks for letting me get this bit out. After all the far beyond rude comments I have read on social media (and I am not talking about this forum), I just wanted to say this today. Hatred and bigotry and threats of violence (of the most revolting kind); all growing. Fresh air is needed; the world is quite poisoned right now. And I don't want to contribute to the poisoning any further. Talk with reason, talk with some measure of politeness. I want us to stand as tall as we can and vote and keep working to make our system better. Preferably without trashing others right, left, and middle. Including the politicians. Including each other no matter how we disagree.

It is very polluted now. I want that to change, and that change to take root before November. I mean that. And it's not impossible.

As ever, @4Ever, you are the voice of reason. Thank you for that.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Politics, certainly brings out the best in people. :))

The polls at this particular point in time are particularly meaningless. Trump's just had his post-convention bounce, Hillary hasn't had hers yet. Wait & see, Panchito. I'll be interested in seeing the polls after the first debate...

Which I also said. Just read my previous post above :-).
  • I'm agreeing w/ you Gustav. Just using different words so nobody accuses me of plagiarism. :-\"
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 4,619
    Like Bernie Sanders said the other day:
    "Shut up!" - what an intelligent and witty rebuke...
    Trump's just had his post-convention bounce, Hillary hasn't had hers yet. Wait & see, Panchito.
    The Democratic Convention is a total mess (boos when Hillary is mentioned, Sanders delegates walking out, etc). Are you really sure Rodham Clinton will have a convention bounce?
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 3,564
    Trump's just had his post-convention bounce, Hillary hasn't had hers yet. Wait & see, Panchito.
    The Democratic Convention is a total mess (boos when Hillary is mentioned, Sanders delegates walking out, etc). Are you really sure Rodham Clinton will have a convention bounce?

Yes.

As I said earlier, OUR style of unity (where differences are acknowledged and worked out) beats yours (where they are stifled only to erupt in Cruz fashion) to my mind. We'll see which the American public prefers.
    As I said earlier, OUR style of unity (where differences are acknowledged and worked out) beats yours (where they are stifled only to erupt in Cruz fashion) to my mind. We'll see which the American public prefers.

First, I am not a Republican. Heck, I am not even American. I am a common sense independent who believes Donald Trump would be a far better president than Rodham Clinton.

Second, your comment is completely delusional. Remind me, was it the Republican leadership that rigged the primaries or was it the Democratic one? Love the Republican party or hate it, it is now obvious that right now it is far more democratic and fair than the Democrats. You wrote that in the Democratic Party, differences are worked out. Yeah, they are worked out by silencing everyone who does not agree with the party leadership (example: confiscation of Bernie signs during the Democratic Convention).

It is sickening what they did to Sanders and his supporters. The democratic primaries were rigged from the very beginning, and NOBODY who hasn't been an ardent Clinton supporter from day 1 believes that the Clinton camp is even trying to work out the differences with Sanders supporters.
    Trump got zero bounce after last week's pity party-ZERO. And that crushed Scott Baio's comeback hopes. Sorry Joanie.

This election has no correlation to 1968. Whoever said that is just throwing poop again. Please stop.

Classy moment with Larry Sanders paying tribute to his parents.

FLeiter wrote: »
    Trump got zero bounce after last week's pity party-ZERO. And that crushed Scott Baio's comeback hopes. Sorry Joanie.

This election has no correlation to 1968. Whoever said that is just throwing poop again. Please stop.

Classy moment with Larry Sanders paying tribute to his parents.

If by zero bounce you mean he jumped an average of seven points and is now leading Hillary, then correct.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm hopeful the public catches onto what is actually in those DNC emails (including possible media collusion with certain anchors) at some point. Since they are implicated, it's understandable why the media would want a distraction and to finger everyone's favourite bogeyman (where's Saddam when you need him?).

More to come according to Assange, once this party is over.

Lavrov's response when asked about it was hilarious. I didn't know it was a four letter word in Russian as well.

What a complete farce this is.

In the end, this comes down to money, ad spend and messaging, as well as a turn out the vote operation. Hillary will be stronger in all of that. If Trump can win against that sort of oiled machine, then the movement is real.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 4,619
    FLeiter wrote: »
    Trump got zero bounce after last week's pity party-ZERO.
    http://i.imgur.com/9t6Igrq.png
    Yeah, no bounce...
    :)) =)) :))
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 11,119

First, I am not a Republican. Heck, I am not even American. I am a common sense independent who believes Donald Trump would be a far better president than Rodham Clinton.

I am curious though. Are you.....

--> Leaning more left-wing of center?
    --> Leaning more right-wing of center?
    --> Leaning more progressive of center?
    --> Leaning more conservative of center?

1276_left_right_usa.png

I am asking this, just out of curiosity. But also....because many times it seems people in here do not even wish to address the above questions anymore. In my country the actual candidates / people running for an office are important, but still more important are the party programs / platforms, the sum of all ideas and solutions; the ideology agenda.

But it seems we become more and more dependent on the persons instead of the parties. So wouldn't it be a good idea if guys like Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump actually create their own political movements...or parties? Wouldn't that be healthier for democracies in the long-term?

Actually, that question has been asked today as well by http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-bernie-sanders-supporters-in-philadelphia-getting-what-they-want/
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    It's hard for me to fathom that a presidential nominee could survive this. But Trump, at the moment, is surviving it:

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-36862749

I have friends who are voting for Trump just because they want to see the whole system go to hell. They think it will be "entertaining."
    So wouldn't it be a good idea if guys like Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump actually create their own political movements...or parties?
    No, becasue the US is a two party system and third parties have no chance. Both Trump and Sanders recognized this.
    TripAces wrote: »
    It's hard for me to fathom that a presidential nominee could survive this. But Trump, at the moment, is surviving it: http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-36862749
    Trump is surviving that because the people recognize that it's nothing more than distraction. A better question would be: how has Clinton survived the e-mail scandal?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Continued focus on this Russian story will only hand the election to Trump, rightly so in my view.

It's best for the Dems not to focus on this MIC sideshow. Kerry's embarrassment when Lavrov was asked about it yesterday in his presence said it all (his look was priceless).
    The recent rape allegations made against Trump don't bode too well for him! Not to mention his so-called Trump university is facing litigation. Personally I wouldn't trust the guy to help me cross a zebra crossing!
    bondjames wrote: »
    Continued focus on this Russian story will only hand the election to Trump, rightly so in my view.

It's best for the Dems not to focus on this MIC sideshow. Kerry's embarrassment when Lavrov was asked about it yesterday in his presence said it all (his look was priceless).

I do think it's a valid question though. Regardless if this investigation hands over the buttons to Trump or Clinton. The fact that another country is able to topple elections with just one hacker....is a worrisome prospect.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/07/the_dnc_hack_is_watergate_but_worse.html
    edited July 2016 Posts: 8,077
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    The recent rape allegations made against Trump don't bode too well for him! Not to mention his so-called Trump university is facing litigation. Personally I wouldn't trust the guy to help me cross a zebra crossing!

If nothing he says can be trusted then surely we don't have to worry about him banning all Muslims from entering the US, right?
    The fact that another country is able to topple elections with just one hacker....is a worrisome prospect.
    Had the Democratic Party not been completely corrupt during the primaries, this hacking would not have negatively affected them.

bondjames wrote: »

I do think it's a valid question though. Regardless if this investigation hands over the buttons to Trump or Clinton. The fact that another country is able to topple elections with just one hacker....is a worrisome prospect.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/07/the_dnc_hack_is_watergate_but_worse.html
    If you can't see what a sideshow this is then I don't know what to tell you. There is no story here, except that the Russians hack servers from time to time (as does the US). Anything that's on a server is hackable, including what was on Hillary's private one. Still a sideshow.
This discussion has been closed.