The June 2016 UK Referendum on EU Membership: [UPDATE] What kind of BREXIT do YOU want?

Comments

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I for one am glad to see that the crumpled heap is not running as for Gove well least said the better my money is on Mrs May who by the way has more than got the balls for the job
    And before anyone jumps in she dosent think with them !.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    There could very well be a female trifecta at the head of world politics in a few months, or even a quadfecta if Le Pen pulls off a win.
  • At least it's not Boris Johnson to become the prime minister when David Cameron resigns in October.
    For a strong PM, you need a cold, calculating bastard. So Michael Gove is perfect :))
    He'd stand up to Putin.

.....and an empathic, feminine attitude towards all the British citizens who now feel betrayed by everything that can be described by the word 'politics'. Theresa May please.

I've not noticed an empathic attitude - could you give some examples?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Lest we forget 100 years ago today all hell broke loose in the battle of the Somme !!.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited July 2016 Posts: 1,053
    Wow! I've been reading through some of the threads here at MI6 & have yet to fully start to engage. I am pleasantly surprised by this one though. You people are actually allowed to hold a serious discussion without fear of reprisal from moderators. I was banned from AJB yesterday for posting the following (quote)

"Todays update from Airstrip One brought to you in Newspeak. Learn, understand, accept."

You see as a brexiteer (& activist during the run up to the referendum) this post was seen to be at odds with a rabid supporter of the EU who is in turn supported by those who administer that site.

I hope to join in this debate & equally hope that by saying "Todays update from Airstrip One brought to you in Newspeak. Learn, understand, accept." won't get me the boot from here!

I'm not a fan of May. I think she is an appeaser who would do everything in her power to dilute or indeed derail the wishes of the people.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Lest we forget 100 years ago today all hell broke loose in the battle of the Somme !!.

Yes. Lest we forget. I saw a photograph of the 'soldiers' standing on a railway platform today. I don't know where it was but it was very moving.

Mod edit: Triple posts merged.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I believe May is a stopgap measure. A 'plug' while the party rights itself. Similar to John Major. Necessary perhaps, at this time.

I see Boris making a come back down the road. Labour is likely to completely reinvent itself too, over the coming years.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,609
    @stag, please avoid double, triple, ... posts. Use the edit button instead. Thank you.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @stag, please avoid double, triple, ... posts. Use the edit button instead. Thank you.

Apologies the layout of the site is something I'm unfamiliar with. I was just replying to different posts. I'll merge them into one in future.

First important post-Brexit news: The Austrian presidential elections have been recalled by the Austrian Supreme Court. 1,5 months ago the progressive, ex-Green Party candidate Van Der Bellen narrowly won the elections from ultra-right-wing candidate Norbert Hofer with only 31,000 votes. Norbert Hofer is member of the populist right-wing party FPÖ. Back in 2002 a storm went through Europe when the FPÖ became part of the Austria government.

Now the elections have been recalled, Van Der Bellen won't be inaugurated July 8th. In the light of Brexit, Norbert Hofer is now in a better position to become the first ultra-right-wing demagogue president in the modern West since..........Well, since when actually.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    First important post-Brexit news: The Austrian presidential elections have been recalled by the Austrian Supreme Court. 1,5 months ago the progressive, ex-Green Party candidate Van Der Bellen narrowly won the elections from ultra-right-wing candidate Norbert Hofer with only 31,000 votes. Norbert Hofer is member of the populist right-wing party FPÖ. Back in 2002 a storm went through Europe when the FPÖ became part of the Austria government.

Now the elections have been recalled, Van Der Bellen won't be inaugurated July 8th. In the light of Brexit, Norbert Hofer is now in a better position to become the first ultra-right-wing demagogue president in the modern West since..........Well, since when actually.
    Perhaps the Brexit has nothing to do with it, but the thousands of refugees at teir borders has? just a thought.....
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed in most countries voters, tend to vote about domestic matters.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don t know. I think Brexit has made me more open to nazism and/or communism.
    It has made me look at my Nazi memorabilia and wonder, if I have enough :))
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    Just a little reminder for the fans of my favourite clown:
    Nigel Farage: Narrow Remain win may lead to second referendum

There could be unstoppable demand for a re-run of the EU referendum if Remain wins by a narrow margin on 23 June, UKIP leader Nigel Farage has said.
    Mr Farage said he believed the Leave campaign were on course for victory.
    But he said there would be resentment, particularly in the Conservative Party, if not, with claims the referendum will not have been a fair contest.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

Gove will get nowhere near an office as long as he doesn't find anybody willing to trust him with a knife. Not likely. :D
    Agree, Politically Gove is a "Deadman walking" :) although he did get the hat trick.
    He destroyed Cameron's career, Johnson's career and his own ! :))
    Agree, Politically Gove is a "Deadman walking" :) although he did get the hat trick.
    He destroyed Cameron's career, Johnson's career and his own ! :))

That's how ye can tell the true professional!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm more and more convinced the Brexit will never happen.
    There are forces secretly and not so secretly working on it.

Either the new PM will never declare Article 50, the vote will be ignored or even repeated with obvious outcome. They will see to it.

Many powerful people will do what they can so the EU will now even become more of a suppressive centralised power monster. Democracy will get even more weak throughout the EU.

Of course in the end it will destroy the EU. But Merkel & Co. don't see it or they don't want to see it.

My only hope is that for once the people's democratic vote will be realised in an EU country. It would more or less be the first time ever.
    If a country has not voted like Brussels wanted, votes got repeated until the result fit.
    Yes at least three countries had to have second referendums, because the vote
    Didn't go the way " Wanted" ;)

Perhaps the Brexit has nothing to do with it, but the thousands of refugees at teir borders has? just a thought.....

Absolutely. I fully agree. Hence why these elections were so close. Basically 50/50. But the Brexit could be decisive in that it gives Norbert Hofer 2 or 3 procent points extra, which is enough for victory. Brexit is a pivotal moment, in that it normalizes and strengthens populism a bit more. But obviously it's not the key reason that we have populism now. I know that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Populist Party was an American political party in the 1890s that fought for the interests of farmers and workers. Later the term came to mean someone who represented the view of the masses.

• edited July 2016 Posts: 1,661
    There's an anti- EU result protest in London today!

There is a big march in central London today to protest against the vote. Is it just me or are these people very dangerous. They are effectively campaigning against democracy. I think this is unprecedented in the UK. We took a vote, it was fairly counted and the decision was made. What do these people not understand?
    Yes, I agree. The "Remain" campaign are the real Fascists ! :(
    Whether you like it or not, a democratic vote is just that. If you
    Felt strongly enough, you should have got off your arse and voted !
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    patb wrote: »
    There is a big march in central London today to protest against the vote. Is it just me or are these people very dangerous. They are effectively campaigning against democracy. I think this is unprecedented in the UK. We took a vote, it was fairly counted and the decision was made. What do these people not understand?

No you are right. They are dangerous. They bend democracy the way it fits their worldview.
    I wonder if many of the MPs calling for another vote, would as a sign of holding to
    Their political system, demand they have a re-election in their own constituency?
    To see if they get re-elected :)) I doubt many would !
    edited July 2016 Posts: 299
    Yea, let's round them all up and make them wear these funny blue flags with the yellow stars, they threaten us.

And on that note, what happened to the referendum of 1975? Doesn't that deserve the same enternal validity?
    No need, they're easy to spot. With all that foam round their mouths ! :))
    No need, they're easy to spot. With all that foam round their mouths ! :))

Let's hope you can live with that, they're not likely to give in any time soon.

And what would you actually do to make them stop, I wonder?

Exactly, Pussy. Exactly. :D

The thing I find funny is, if this was Syria and after a referendum, the government
    Said they weren't happy, so they were going to hold another !
    All the western powers including the EU and America, would be issuing statements
    To the effect that the views of the people Must be followed etc :))
This discussion has been closed.