The June 2016 UK Referendum on EU Membership: [UPDATE] What kind of BREXIT do YOU want?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I didn't want to over do the Quotes, was thinking of ending with.
    " But it's late, I'm tired, and there's so much left to do..... "
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I didn't want to over do the Quotes, was thinking of ending with.
    " But it's late, I'm tired, and there's so much left to do..... "

Fair enough.

It's just that little exchange with Charles Gray has always been a favourite of mine.

Not a great Blofeld but you just can't help enjoying his performance.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 389
    @gustav_graves, someone once said the first time someone calls you a horse you call them an ass, the second time another person calls you a horse you punch them in the nose, the third time another calls you a horse, maybe it's time to go shopping for a saddle. :D
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,119
    @gustav_graves, someone once said the first time someone calls you a horse you call them an ass, the second time another person calls you a horse you punch them in the nose, the third time another calls you a horse, maybe it's time to go shopping for a saddle. :D

I have a quote too: "Today a reader, tomorrow a leader"

Read the quote over and over again while you listen to this:
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    C'mon, we all just need a little more love...

Michael Gove seems to have stabbed Boris in the Back, so to destroy Gove's
    Chances. If I was Boris, I'll pull out of the running, and support Theresa May ;)
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    So, Boris ruled himself out......
    So far I'm half right. :))
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,119
    As I expected. Boris Johnson rules himself out as the next PM:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36672591
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36671336

Populists usually don't run for PM or apply for any other leadership inside a national government. I have to say, that I am happy Boris rules himself out. IMO he lacks a certain temperament that one has to have to become PM or president. But on the other hand, I also find Johnson's decision slightly cowardice. Bragging and screaming so intensely about a Brexit, and then he rules himself out.

Now it's between Michael Gove and Theresa May. In all honesty? I hope Therese May gets the job. Although she was supporting the Remain campaign, I do think it's better for the healing process that a 'Remain'-er becomes PM. Obviously Boris Johnson saw that he's a polarized figure by now in Scotland and Northern-Ireland.

Theresa May for me is the clear frontrunner. She could 'unite' the United Kingdom again. And I think she will be more acceptable to the EU-politicians in Brussels, which might prove important during future trade negotiations.

Tory__Theresa_May__3465050b.jpg

Go Theresa!!!
    For a strong PM, you need a cold, calculating bastard. So Michael Gove is perfect :))
    He'd stand up to Putin.
    Its May all the way, I did tell you
    For a strong PM, you need a cold, calculating bastard. So Michael Gove is perfect :))
    He'd stand up to Putin.

.....and an empathic, feminine attitude towards all the British citizens who now feel betrayed by everything that can be described by the word 'politics'. Theresa May please.

edited June 2016 Posts: 13,384
    As I predicted Boris going (here over half an hour before he spoke) I too
    Predict May as the next leader.
    No one would trust Gove, after his betrayal. :D

I wonder if she wins by a small margin, will the loser demand a Second vote ?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I must say that I'm surprised Boris Johnson isn't running to be our next PM. By the way I have a specific thread on the next PM here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/16162/the-race-to-be-the-next-prime-minister-of-the-united-kingdom-by-2-september-2016
    bondjames wrote: »

I do not subscribe to comments and views that the voters are stupid, ignorant, emotional racist, bigoted, and 'fascist'. When one tries to take such an approach to make one's case, one loses me. A better argument is required.

Hello, Friend. I can only speak about the U. S. voter. While you're educated, intelligent, have a natural curiosity about life, that type of person is a small minority here. We struggle to achieve 55% voter turnout every 4 years for arguably the most important position in the world. We can't spend 5 minutes voting because we might miss a tweet or a cat video on YouTube.

You're seeing the last gasps of a white-male dominated society to a more diverse country and white people are afraid of anyone who isn't white, Protestant, a male and high school graduate. They rail against trade agreements and shipping jobs overseas, but line up at Wal-Mart to buy lead-based children's toys or sweatshop clothing because they can save a penny. They commit crimes and then go on Facebook to laugh how they committed the crime. They witness massacres in churches, movie theaters and schools and then go out and buy more assault weapons. They dismiss global warming as unproven science and want the Confederate flag to fly over their state capitol.

It's really sad. We are a nation of sheep that squander the amazing resources in people and environmental. We are easily led and many people play to the lowest common base fears. So we have a long way to go to match the voters of some countries in Europe. Many here couldn't pick Sweden, Italy or the U.K. on a map.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The Conservative party has a tendency to shun the 'assassin' (Michael Hesseltine anybody?), so this isn't all that surprising.

It's clear to me that all attempts will probably be made to 'remain' now.

I'm not sure how, but most likely through delay tactics until Clinton gets in and then some sort of rapprochement will be engineered. After all, the cards are entirely in the UK parliament's hands, because without Article 50 being triggered, the EU can't do anything on its end except exclude Britain from meetings.

I don't see a 2nd referendum, but perhaps an earlier general election?

As I said earlier, nothing clarifies the mind like some common 'non Western' threat, so let's keep a look out for that to materialize too in the next few months.
  • FLeiter wrote: »
    Hello, Friend. I can only speak about the U. S. voter. While you're educated, intelligent, have a natural curiosity about life, that type of person is a small minority here. We struggle to achieve 55% voter turnout every 4 years for arguably the most important position in the world. We can't spend 5 minutes voting because we might miss a tweet or a cat video on YouTube.

You're seeing the last gasps of a white-male dominated society to a more diverse country and white people are afraid of anyone who isn't white, Protestant, a male and high school graduate. They rail against trade agreements and shipping jobs overseas, but line up at Wal-Mart to buy lead-based children's toys or sweatshop clothing because they can save a penny. They commit crimes and then go on Facebook to laugh how they committed the crime. They witness massacres in churches, movie theaters and schools and then go out and buy more assault weapons. They dismiss global warming as unproven science and want the Confederate flag to fly over their state capitol.

It's really sad. We are a nation of sheep that squander the amazing resources in people and environmental. We are easily led and many people play to the lowest common base fears. So we have a long way to go to match the voters of some countries in Europe. Many here couldn't pick Sweden, Italy or the U.K. on a map.

That's a very damning review of your nation, but I can't say I disagree as an outsider looking in, when we see mass killings on such a regular basis, could it be that your constitution no longer works?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    There's some talk of an early General Election in the UK in 2017 once a new Conservative Party Leader and Prime Minister eventually emerges by the deadline of 2 September 2017. This is to ensure that the new leader has a mandate on which to govern for at most five years. Here's hoping that it's going to be Michael Gove.
    FLeiter wrote: »

I do not subscribe to comments and views that the voters are stupid, ignorant, emotional racist, bigoted, and 'fascist'. When one tries to take such an approach to make one's case, one loses me. A better argument is required.

I agree with much of what you say, but I disagree that this is only a fault of the 'white-male'.

On the contrary, this is increasingly the fault of society as a whole everywhere. More desensitized, more callous and uncaring for their fellow man (and woman), more ADD (or ADHD), and more interested in 'quick' solutions to complex problems that actually require cooperation & compromise rather than confrontation.

The only thing that is really the bastion of white-males in the US is guns & religions perhaps. Here is a quote from Obama during the 2008 campaign that got him into a bit of hot water with the "Joe the Plumber types". It's more relevant now than ever:

"They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

I agree with much of what you say, but I disagree that this is only a fault of the 'white-male'.

On the contrary, this is increasingly the fault of society as a whole eerywhere. More desensitized, more callous and uncaring for their fellow man (and woman), more ADD (or ADHD), and more interested in 'quick' solutions to complex problems that actually require cooperation & compromise rather than confrontation.

The only thing that is really the bastion of white-males in the US is guns & religions perhaps. Here is a quote from Obama during the 2008 campaign that got him into a bit of hot water with the "Joe the Plumber types". It's more relevant now than ever:

"They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

I would submit that those in charge make the rules and write history thru their eyes. Remember that women and blacks could not vote until recent times. Blacks were barred from professional baseball until 1947 and women were deemed unworthy to run companies. It wasn't until enough people stood up and made the white males uncomfortable that changed happened. I think we're better than that.

Speaking of 'Joe the Plumber' who it turns out was no a plumber and a tax evader, here's his comment to murder victims families after a recent massacre:

your dead kids don't trump my Constitutional rights

I would submit that those in charge make the rules and write history thru their eyes. Remember that women and blacks could not vote until recent times. Blacks were barred from professional baseball until 1947 and women were deemed unworthy to run companies. It wasn't until enough people stood up and made the white males uncomfortable that changed happened. I think we're better than that.
    I can't disagree with any of this. In the case of the US, the white male is in charge, but the broader point is that those in charge must be made to compromise and accept the rights and privileges of minorities and weaker parties everywhere. I would argue that the EU is in the position of the 'white male' at the moment.
    On leaving the EU, I think Blofeld would have approved, as he said .....

"Well, the methods of the great pioneers
    have often puzzled conventional minds."
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    On leaving the EU, I think Blofeld would have approved, as he said .....

"Well, the methods of the great pioneers
    have often puzzled conventional minds."
    well, after all,
    The successful criminal brain is always superior. It has to be.

:-P

:))
    "Intuitive improvisation is the secret of genius"
    Or
    "The distance between insanity and genius, is measured only by success"
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    That last one, nearly killed me....
    "We have an old saying too, and......."
    :)) we're turning this in to a geeky fan quote thread. :D
    Don't worry. I've got a friend named @Gustav who can fix anything...
    ...... is he Married ? :D
  • =))
This discussion has been closed.