No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I've been a Bond fan since DN and have been along for the ups and downs ever since. For me Connery has always been Bond. Though not Connery, Lazenby, Dalton and Craig have been my next favorites with the edge going to Craig. Now we're most likely changing again, and I find myself not being too terribly upset. For me, it's less about the actor now than the overall tone of the film and the story. CR is quite possibly my favorite Bond film, but the Craig series did not live up to its debut. Good films after, but not as good as that first film. Stand alone stories are needed now instead of a story arc.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    "What we say is fact, and we won't reveal our sources, even though we stated a while back that you shouldn't believe anything outside an official announcement."

In other words, you shouldn't believe any rumors, unless it comes from them and their "source." Pfft.

My sentiments exactly.
    Can someone check on Mendes4lyfe I am nervous about his health now lol
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 5,185
    whoever this 'source' is, i can already see him getting chased by Hiddleston in the PTS to Bond25 :D

"Barbara really doesn't mind you earning a little money on the side. She'd just prefer it if it wasn't selling secrets."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Risico007 wrote: »

Again, most are annoyed by his Turner love, and yet every time the slightest rumor or "source" is announced, everyone is immediately clamoring to hear what he has to say. Funny how that works!

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Again, most are annoyed by his Turner love, and yet every time the slightest rumor or "source" is announced, everyone is immediately clamoring to hear what he has to say. Funny how that works!
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

@00Agent :))
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

This just in.... :(

[img][/img]cliff-jump_zpsb2yoiczz.jpg

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    dalton wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    It's hard to take his word as fact when he says to not believe anything but an official announcement...unless it's him. Like he said: speculation.

Agreed.

Once you put it out there that nothing other than an official announcement from EON can be believed, it's a bit much to then put something out there and expect it to be believed.

I still hope this is false. They need to undertake a much more thorough search than this, especially when there's not any one candidate out there that is just such an obvious choice that the trigger has to be pulled immediately. Still, like I said, Hiddleston will at least keep me around for another film. The casting of Turner would have probably marked the end of my time with the franchise, at least until Bond #8.
    Exactly. EoN took part in a lengthy 150+ actor search from 2004-05'. Why would things be different now?

The only thing I can see being different this time is that maybe Broccoli thinks that since she knocked it out of the park the last time, even in the face of all the naysayers, that she's just going to trust her gut rather than go through that whole long process again.

Not saying that's the case, but a possibility. Still, I'd like to think that she'd conduct a more thorough search. There are more actors out there aside from the duo of Turner and Hiddleston.

The thing is, Hiddleston is a very good actor and his casting if nothing else is a salient business decision. I keep on saying this but the true test of Bond being a success lies within the script. Had Mendes' Bond films been better scripted they would have been films; and that's coming from a director who had no prior experience making these types of films.

Lazenby wasn't even an actor and yet, the film is essentially a masterpiece because of how amazing the script, directing and music is. I think we're in more or less good hands whoever Bond #7 is but EoN have to SERIOUSLY step up their game with new writers and a director who understands espionage thrillers. We have a chance to really bring back that unparalleled Bond magic. We just need new blood to have it realised.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    It's hard to take his word as fact when he says to not believe anything but an official announcement...unless it's him. Like he said: speculation.

Agreed.

Once you put it out there that nothing other than an official announcement from EON can be believed, it's a bit much to then put something out there and expect it to be believed.

I still hope this is false. They need to undertake a much more thorough search than this, especially when there's not any one candidate out there that is just such an obvious choice that the trigger has to be pulled immediately. Still, like I said, Hiddleston will at least keep me around for another film. The casting of Turner would have probably marked the end of my time with the franchise, at least until Bond #8.
    Exactly. EoN took part in a lengthy 150+ actor search from 2004-05'. Why would things be different now?

The only thing I can see being different this time is that maybe Broccoli thinks that since she knocked it out of the park the last time, even in the face of all the naysayers, that she's just going to trust her gut rather than go through that whole long process again.

Not saying that's the case, but a possibility. Still, I'd like to think that she'd conduct a more thorough search. There are more actors out there aside from the duo of Turner and Hiddleston.

The thing is, Hiddleston is a very good actor and his casting if nothing else is a salient business decision. I keep on saying this but the true test of Bond being a success lies within the script. Had Mendes' Bond films been better scripted they would have been films; and that's coming from a director who had no prior experience making these types of films.

Lazenby wasn't even an actor and yet, the film is essentially a masterpiece because of how amazing the script, directing and music is. I think we're in more or less good hands whoever Bond #7 is but EoN have to SERIOUSLY step up their game with new writers and a director who understands espionage thrillers. We have a chance to really bring back that unparalleled Bond magic. We just need new blood to have it realised.

Nobody (or at least I'm not, anyway) is questioning Hiddleston's acting ability. I do have questions about his suitability for the role, but I'm willing to give him a chance with his first film. But, I don't see the harm in conducting a proper search. This isn't like when Brosnan was finally hired where there was a clear heir apparent to the role. Hiddleston isn't that, as I certainly didn't see people clamoring for him to get the role before his name began surfacing in the rumor mill. If he gets the part after a serious, thorough search and audition process, then fine. But I would prefer a more extensive search be underway, since we're looking at a 3-4 year gap anyway, why not use part of that time to really take the time and really make sure the time was taken to get this thing right?
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    Here's my original idea of The Martian War story for Bond 25/26/27, dated between Boxing Day 2013 (at 9.50pm) and 15 April 2014, in which originally going to be rebooted trilogy using Grand Theft Auto IV.

media.wix.com/ugd/59903a_466c94b9841a4fd581dcb7113e824d94.pdf

Please note that, as of this afternoon, my original scripts are now incorporated into one.
    Here's my original idea of The Martian War story for Bond 25/26/27, dated between Boxing Day 2013 (at 9.50pm) and 15 April 2014, in which originally going to be rebooted trilogy using Grand Theft Auto IV.

media.wix.com/ugd/59903a_466c94b9841a4fd581dcb7113e824d94.pdf

Please note that, as of this afternoon, my original scripts are now incorporated into one.

Noted. 8-|

I guess we already know the trajectory of the new franchise. Hiddleston will make his debut alongside new Bond girl Taylor Swift in Teardrops on my Walther before the two join forces with Kevin Spacey's Ernst Stavro Blofeld to take on the Martians.
    The only country where SP underperformed was the US. For any major blockbuster to take less than $200m has got to seen as such. Now the question is why? Well i think its because of the general age of US film goers who are tending to get younger and i think Bond has less meaning to them as it does to us fans. Rightly or wrongly casting Hiddleston would address this problem as he has a much higher profile with this age group thanks to the MCU and at the end of the day Bond is a business and some decisions have to be made based on business.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Well that has about done for this speculation thread =))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @cooperman2, SP made over $200 million in the U.S., though.

Agreed.

Nobody (or at least I'm not, anyway) is questioning Hiddleston's acting ability. I do have questions about his suitability for the role, but I'm willing to give him a chance with his first film. But, I don't see the harm in conducting a proper search. This isn't like when Brosnan was finally hired where there was a clear heir apparent to the role. Hiddleston isn't that, as I certainly didn't see people clamoring for him to get the role before his name began surfacing in the rumor mill. If he gets the part after a serious, thorough search and audition process, then fine. But I would prefer a more extensive search be underway, since we're looking at a 3-4 year gap anyway, why not use part of that time to really take the time and really make sure the time was taken to get this thing right?

Well, I'm just one person and I tendered my nomination of Hiddleston into the hat here back in April 2012 and have been essentially quiet on other candidates ever since. However, my point was, whoever EoN do cast, he could be the second coming of Daniel Day Lewis but none of that matters if the fundimental aspects to film making suck. I don't want to just remember an excellent Bond actor in a disappointing film, which for me, sums up the Craig era as a whole. I want and we can can and should get both; an excellent Bond actor and an excellent film. I trust EoN are competent enough to hire the right guy to take the lead role but it's everything else I'm concerned about. I'm still shocked at Newman's unapologetic half arsed contribution to SP. I thought no way his score could be worse than SF's but he genuinely surprised me and EoN accepted it.
    I don't think the filmgoers got that dramatically younger between Skyfall, which pulled in $304 million in the US and Spectre, which did limp across the $200 million mark domestically.

Plain and simple, the rest of the world just seemed to embrace the film more than the US. Sometimes films perform better in some parts of the world versus others. Casting Hiddleston isn't going to make that big of a difference, if it makes one at all, in closing the gap between Skyfall (which is an outlier in the franchise anyway and shouldn't be the real target for EON to hit) and Spectre.
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    However, my point was, whoever EoN do cast, he could be the second coming of Daniel Day Lewis but none of that matters if the fundamental aspects to film making suck. I don't want to just remember an excellent Bond actor in a disappointing film, which for me, sums up the Craig era as a whole.
    I feel the same way. Hiddleston (or whoever) replacing Craig as Bond is merely a cosmetic change. If Purvis & Wade are still writing the series, the quality still will be uneven regardless.
    Well, I'm just one person and I tendered my nomination of Hiddleston into the hat here back in April 2012 and have been essentially quiet on other candidates ever since. However, my point was, whoever EoN do cast, he could be the second coming of Daniel Day Lewis but none of that matters if the fundimental aspects to film making suck. I don't want to just remember an excellent Bond actor in a disappointing film, which for me, sums up the Craig era as a whole. I want and we can can and should get both; an excellent Bond actor and an excellent film. I trust EoN are competent enough to hire the right guy to take the lead role but it's everything else I'm concerned about. I'm still shocked at Newman's unapologetic half arsed contribution to SP. I thought no way his score could be worse than SF's but he genuinely surprised me and EoN accepted it.

I'm not saying that everyone who is on the Hiddleston bandwagon has just gotten there. Of course, that's not the case. He is someone who fits into the basic criteria of what is needed to play Bond, so him having his supporters of course makes sense. I just don't see him as the heir apparent that the entire fanbase is clamoring for prior to his introduction to the rumor mill in the way that Brosnan was that guy in '95 or, presumably, Roger Moore was back in his day.

I'm not against Hiddleston, I just want(ed) to see a more extensive search. With the time they have to spare at the moment, there's nothing wrong with turning over every possible stone to make sure that you get it right. You never know, someone unexpected might surface in such a search and prove to be a better alternative.

Ideally, we'd all like to get better writers and a better crew behind the camera, but I've basically resigned myself to that not happening as EON has proven incapable of doing it to this point, 20 years into the new regime's tenure. But, the Bond actor can make a difference, as Craig demonstrated. None of his scripts were terrific, yet he managed, single-handedly in some cases, to carry the films on his back to a level that we hadn't seen before. Can Hiddleston pull off a similar trick, as he'll also have to overcome crap writing and suspect direction? Maybe. I don't know, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have my doubts.
    Craig is at this point probably done. but hiddleston wont get the role IMO.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    Who's to say they didn't search for much longer already? Could have stated right after SP wrapped for all we know.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yes, for all we know if Craig had decided that SP was to be his last and all of the key players were aware, a genuine, albeit covert, search may have been ongoing for some time.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Hiddleston is more popular in the Marvel universe than I thought ...so yes that us or could be a draw.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    talos7 wrote: »
    Yes, for all we know if Craig had decided that SP was to be his last and all of the key players were aware, a genuine, albeit covert, search may have been ongoing for some time.
    This could explain why Dan's been so quiet.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    ok if Craig turned down the role because he didn't have enough creative control... that is fascinating. I also find it hard to believe. Unless there's a specific dispute over a writer or director, but I can't imagine EON being that resolute

A sub par script and director with Hiddleston in the role will suck twice as bad as any of the Craig films you may hate. Don't assume EON is in the same headspace of 2005. We know whoever it is will be a let down for Barbara, so that's not a great starting point
    I think Babs , MGW & EON are on a road & soon their will be a fork in it & they will have to choose which direction to take.

I believe they are looking at possible replacements & perhaps a new era. On the other hand I still believe they want to do another one with Craig.

The next one wont make a 2018 release. thats becoming more clear.

I think they should take their time, get some good writers to come up with a clever script for a final outing for DC, & try & go for a summer 2019 release. This would give them enough time needed for a quality film.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I think Babs , MGW & EON are on a road & soon their will be a fork in it & they will have to choose which direction to take.

I believe they are looking at possible replacements & perhaps a new era. On the other hand I still believe they want to do another one with Craig.

I think they should take their time, get some good writers to come up with a clever script for a final outing for DC, & try & go for a summer 2019 release. This would give them enough time needed for a quality film.

Like they did with DAD and SP. :D

Time isn't answer. It's hiring the right people.

So far giving themselves more time doesn't seem to mean they come up with a better quality script or movie.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Agreed. EoN have proven back to back that with 4 and 3 year breaks respectively, the quality of the scripts are inconsequential. They need to burn that stank-arse comfort blanket and recruit new and capable talent.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 871
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Agreed. EoN have proven back to back that with 4 and 3 year breaks respectively, the quality of the scripts are inconsequential. They need to burn that stank-arse comfort blanket and recruit new and capable talent.

It's tricky. They can hire great writers with perfect CVs, but that still doesn't guarantee they will come up with a good script. But I agree with you in general, good script is the key.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    talos7 wrote: »

That is what I have been wondering as well. They may have known for quite some time now that Craig would not be returning.