Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I think his comments suggest we are probably getting a new Bond actor. That much I personally think can be gleaned from his remarks, otherwise why bring it up?

The other stuff probably means it may not be one of the most reported media darlings.

Or it could just be obfuscation to throw us off the scent. The 'Waltz is not Blofeld' or 'Smith is not the singer' or 'Harris is not MP' shtick. To quote M from one of his films: "You know the rules of the game. You've been playing it long enough".
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Public should never... Ever... choose Bond... Ever...

Because, they'll choose someone really really inappropriate for the role, without even understanding the character.

This. It'd be an awful idea.
    Where's @TheWizardOfIce when you need him? To hell with Democracy! :))
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    bondjames wrote: »
    I have to see Defiance at some point. I'm sure Liev Schreiber dominates the screen, as he usually does.

He is excellent in it yes.
    dalton wrote: »
    Friend could do a good job I think. There's something a little unusual about his look, but he seems rugged and confident on screen. I don't think he'd light the box office on fire though. They will have to really be good scripts if he becomes the guy eventually.

I think the confidence he shows on screen would be a big plus. There's a scene in Homeland where he's explaining to a room of bureaucrats why their Middle Eastern strategy is ineffective that I thought he was especially good in. I think that if he bulked up just a bit (not to the extent that Craig did but just enough to bring a bit of physical menace to the part to accompany the acting chops he's displayed on Homeland), that he could be a solid successor to Craig.

He also looks a bit younger than he actually is, so that could help on the longevity front while not forcing EON into casting a 20-something to take over.

Just my .02 cents though. Doubt he gets it, but, like Cavill, he does have the previous experience with EON that previous Bonds have had prior to casting working in his favor.

Not sure he is good looking enough.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I think Mendes comments could be hugely significant! It means the search is on for a new guy and it could be anyone, yep, even that bloke off Hollyoaks or Holby City! \:D/

We need to watch lots of tv dramas and obscure British films that no-one pays to see cos they're so boring just in case the new Bond actor is appearing!

Here's a contender:

Sam Claflin

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/319/files/2015/04/Sam-Claflin-CelebHealthy_com-SW-Rogue-One.jpg

British, age 30, appearing in films like The Hunger Games. Actors like that might appeal to B Broccoli, perhaps.

Sam Clafin is another good choice and id be happy if he gets it but here is a small problem : the release of Me before you seems like it could be the ultimate chick flick and be as successful as the fault in our stars or the notebook that means huge mainstream fir Sam and could leave him outside of the contenders.

That film( Me before you) could be for him what the Notebook was for Ryan Gosling

I really would appreciate it if they stop picking the "soft ones" or the "pretty boys" for Bond and go for a rugged actor. That's what Bond is. And I am sure there are plenty of rugged-looking actors out there to fill in the part.
    Suggestion?
    I don't have anyone in mind, right now. But, I am sure the casting director can get the job done.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 1,631
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Friend could do a good job I think. There's something a little unusual about his look, but he seems rugged and confident on screen. I don't think he'd light the box office on fire though. They will have to really be good scripts if he becomes the guy eventually.

I think the confidence he shows on screen would be a big plus. There's a scene in Homeland where he's explaining to a room of bureaucrats why their Middle Eastern strategy is ineffective that I thought he was especially good in. I think that if he bulked up just a bit (not to the extent that Craig did but just enough to bring a bit of physical menace to the part to accompany the acting chops he's displayed on Homeland), that he could be a solid successor to Craig.

He also looks a bit younger than he actually is, so that could help on the longevity front while not forcing EON into casting a 20-something to take over.

Just my .02 cents though. Doubt he gets it, but, like Cavill, he does have the previous experience with EON that previous Bonds have had prior to casting working in his favor.

I think he compares reasonably well to that image of Bond that Fleming had commissioned. Not saying it's a perfect match, but I think he compares fairly well to it. I'll admit that he does lack a bit (not saying he completely lacks it) in terms of ruggedness when compared to Connery and Craig, but the Bond franchise usually changes styles with each new actor, so we're due a change of course in terms of the style and tone of the franchise anyway.

And thanks @dominicgreene for posting those. I missed it when you originally posted it. That second one was the one I was talking about.

Can't argue with those points.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Will the next director have input as to who is cast. Campbell seemed to be on board prior to Craig being chosen; I believe he favored Cavill.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Not that I'm advocating for him but he's conventionally good looking enough. Bond's sex and overall appeal isn't dependent on what his face looks like.

mcdonbb wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Public should never... Ever... choose Bond... Ever...

Because, they'll choose someone really really inappropriate for the role, without even understanding the character.

This. It'd be an awful idea.

Maybe Mendes's comments are referring to his assumption that the public is expecting Elba? Which of course we are not.

He is making those comments days after the media and internet have anointed Piddleston as the next Bond...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Am I the only one who believes that Elba has never been considered and that his being identified with the role is completely a creation of the media and some fans as well as stoking the fire a bit himself ? I don't think he has for a second been considered by EON.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who believes that Elba has never been considered and that his being identified with the role is completely a creation of the media and some fans as well as stoking the fire a bit himself ? I don't think he has for a second been considered by EON.
    Or just people with agendas (i.e. forcing change-of-ethnicity down the throats of those who don't adapt to their nonsense, just for the sake of it), black actor playing a white character. No matter how much they stir it up, whatever reasons they can give, the idea of it as a whole is just pointless.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 2,081
    doubleoego wrote: »

Not that I'm advocating for him but he's conventionally good looking enough. Bond's sex and overall appeal isn't dependent on what his face looks like.

Not just Bond's, that's how it normally is. Not that people will ever agree, anyway, about an individual's appeal, or their looks, either.
    talos7 wrote: »

No, you are not. I haven't even presumed many people seriously think EON ever considered him at all.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I don't think they have either but please I hope they don't hire Bell.
  • I160516_155855_823657oTextTRMRMMGLPICT000078252531o.jpgN-VRnCCvBUU.jpg :)>-
    LOL I like Turner but the long hair and stubbly look isn't good for Bond

"Last week, Daniel Craig declared that he will never do another Bond film"

Er...did he now? Who did he declare that to?
  • dinovelvet
    1:32PM Posts: 650Flag

"Тhe long hair and stubbly" have one great property: they can be removed))) ;)
    dinovelvet

bBn6FIq.jpg

There you go. ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    dinovelvet

bBn6FIq.jpg

There you go. ;)

Perfect. :D
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    dinovelvet

bBn6FIq.jpg

There you go. ;)

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,130
    dinovelvet

bBn6FIq.jpg

There you go. ;)

Nope, still not convinced, niether with Tom Hidleston but im open to change my mind as i did with Daniel Craig.

I often say how much I want a very traditionally good looking actor like Pierce but when i think of my top 3 of the Bond actors only Pierce is that obviously good looking. He is my number but still 1 out of 3.
    My other two favorites( Craig and Connery) are not so great looking but got me with their personality and that X factor which made them attractive to me.

If my top 3 was Pierce Brosnan, Timothy Dalton and George Lazenby then id have a point for claiming an obvious good looks actor but its not my case.

• edited May 2016 Posts: 1,661
    I think an X Factor 'search for next Bond' could work or be an interesting failure! If EON had the right to pick the winner and ignore the public vote :D then they'd be no risk. Babs and the studio would still get their choice but you never know, if there were a search for the next Bond and the public vote chimed with B Broccoli's - everyone is a winner.

It could make for cringe-making television but so what? ;) That's the point of reality tv!
    It would cheapen the brand and turn it in to a circus act, @fanbond123. Not only would it be a declaration that casting agencies are pointless, it would also be a declaration that Eon and the studio haven't got a clue what they're doing. Can you imagine this being done for Marvel or any other movie character franchise? No, neither can I.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    On the contrary, they should do precisely an X-Factor Bond casting like @fanbond123 said, but with @TheWizardofIce as the only judge. With a few intermissions of Rory Kinnear appearing and The Wiz' giving him his opinion on his acting as Tanner. I would definitely watch that.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    bondsum wrote: »
    It would cheapen the brand and turn it in to a circus act, @fanbond123. Not only would it be a declaration that casting agencies are pointless, it would also be a declaration that Eon and the studio haven't got a clue what they're doing. Can you imagine this being done for Marvel or any other movie character franchise? No, neither can I.

Now there's a format that would work! Contestants should name an actor suitable for Bond that none of the other contestants has thought off. That one will then be cast! (love pointless!)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If the public decided, Robbie Williams would have been Bond. Forget it.
    The public should never have a say in who Bond is.