Who should/could be a Bond actor?

11831841861881891198

Comments

  • Posts: 6,601
    Clive Owen, right? IMO that man had the best Bond face. Perfect in stills, but sadly dull and wooden in motion.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 13,920
    Germanlady wrote: »

    I'd like to see a Bond film more along the lines of The International. That film had one action sequence, and look how much that sequence was talked about. Put one other action sequence in the film, space them apart, and that's what i'm thinking about.

    Much talked about? The film rather flopped as far as I remember. QOS time, I believe

    You edited you post (you included imdb/rotten tomatoes scores) while I was typing. What I would have said is that I rarely put any stock in what critics say (other fans/movie goers, I am more inclined to listen to). Even if it is just a one-off, I would still like to see a less action heavy Bond, that focuses more on espionage, with only two action sequences.

    And I don't remember what the Box Office takings of The International were, but I do remember all the talk of the museum sequence.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe, I'd be perfectly okay with the action sequences being dialed down if what we're given is thrilling, original, and something the fans will discuss for a long time coming.

    I agree with that. I would to see Bond go that route.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    And I don't remember what the Box Office takings of The International were, but I do remember all the talk of the museum sequence.
    I so look forward to that sequence whenever I watch the film. In fact, discussion here is compelling me to view it again soon. Maybe tonight.
  • Posts: 6,601
    I don't find anything wrong with less action and more thriller. But I suppose the resumee was a bit off for me. With one action sequene, of course, this is the one, oyu talk about. But overall, I agree. Suspense and dialogue without that only being action plus short and sweet fight scenes.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 8,830
    Germanlady wrote: »

    I'd like to see a Bond film more along the lines of The International. That film had one action sequence, and look how much that sequence was talked about. Put one other action sequence in the film, space them apart, and that's what i'm thinking about.

    Much talked about? The film rather flopped as far as I remember. QOS time, I believe

    You edited you post (you included imdb/rotten tomatoes scores) while I was typing. What I would have said is that I rarely put any stock in what critics say (other fans/movie goers, I am more inclined to listen to). Even if it is just a one-off, I would still like to see a less action heavy Bond, that focuses more on espionage, with only two action sequences.

    And I don't remember what the Box Office takings of The International were, but I do remember all the talk of the museum sequence.

    There's a certain school of thought that action is character/character is action. In CR, look how much the action told us about the character in the introductory scene (b & w); the chase scene vs the bomb maker; Miami airport; stairwell fight scene; the finale in Venice.

    The set pieces were all amazing and worthy as a character tell. I don't think we need less action, just smarter.
  • Posts: 9,806
    Again in terms of budget you can do interesting things without being wasteful again "bond" being stalked in the garden in from Russia with love worked really well and that didn't cost a ton of money. One of th things in my youth (ah the glory days) I was championing for was weirdly enough Wes Craven to direct a bond film. While I have gotten older and realize how silly the idea is the reason behind the idea still make sense. Give a bond film that sucks audiences in and makes us unsure if bond really will make it out alive. Increasing tension and giving a world where anything is possible (even the death of bond) really will increase box office numbers without losing tons of money in budget. I rememeber bond fans being excited about the fact that M seemed genuinely scared of Quantum in the trailer for Quanutm of solace. That is what I am looking for in terms of s bond film. Utilizing fear in both the characters and audience would be a great way to keep costs down but ramp up sales. Now I don't mean bond should fight Freddy Kruger but I do think there is a lesson to be learned from slasher flicks that if you ramp up the tension you increase audience interest. (Spectre almost did this but had s lot of unnessacry Roger Moore esque jokes to ruin good tense provoking scenes like "ciao Micky mouse")

    Food for thought... On a side note it's why I want Guy Ritche to direct the next one especially after how he was able to weave supernatural and natural in both Sherlock Holmes films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,665
    Actually, at the end of QoS, where Bond was holding Camille in the middle of the burning room, there was a fleeting moment where I really thought Bond may not make it out alive.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    peter wrote: »
    Germanlady wrote: »

    I'd like to see a Bond film more along the lines of The International. That film had one action sequence, and look how much that sequence was talked about. Put one other action sequence in the film, space them apart, and that's what i'm thinking about.

    Much talked about? The film rather flopped as far as I remember. QOS time, I believe

    You edited you post (you included imdb/rotten tomatoes scores) while I was typing. What I would have said is that I rarely put any stock in what critics say (other fans/movie goers, I am more inclined to listen to). Even if it is just a one-off, I would still like to see a less action heavy Bond, that focuses more on espionage, with only two action sequences.

    And I don't remember what the Box Office takings of The International were, but I do remember all the talk of the museum sequence.

    There's a certain school of thought that action is character/character is action. In CR, look how much the action told us about the character in the introductory scene (b & w); the chase scene vs the bomb maker; Miami airport; stairwell fight scene; the finale in Venice.

    The set pieces were all amazing and worthy as a character tell. I don't think we need less action, just smarter.

    Agreed. The action needs to be relevant and move the story along not just be inserted.

    I haven't really that complaint against recent films. My complaint has been that the sequences sometimes do not generate any suspense or intensity themselves.

    Take the Rome chase again, the Fiat guy seemed more in danger than Bond.
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    Posts: 108
    bondjames wrote: »
    StanKobra wrote: »
    I honestly don't see why Dan Stevens isn't being touted as the next likliest actor to be Bond. I appreciate everyone has their favourites but I can't see Tom Hiddleston as 007. He's a great actor, has a good voice and presence but just doesn't have the 'persona' for Bond somehow. The only reason he's mentioned is because of the old Jag 'good to be bad' ad and his role in The Night Manager where he was a reluctant 'spy' anyway.

    If you've seen Dan Stevens in The Guest then you can easily see why he'd be ideal for the role. The guy has it all. If I were EON (perhaps they already are) I would get onto his agent quicker than George Galloway over a rug and saucer of milk.

    Completely agree. After probably unattainable Fassbender, he's my first pick.
    What is Dan Stevens working on these days? He's been a bit quiet lately, no?

    I think he wrapped a couple of films and is now filming Legion tv show. Don't know if it's picked up for a series or is just a pilot. Probably the latter.

  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    StanKobra wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    StanKobra wrote: »
    I honestly don't see why Dan Stevens isn't being touted as the next likliest actor to be Bond. I appreciate everyone has their favourites but I can't see Tom Hiddleston as 007. He's a great actor, has a good voice and presence but just doesn't have the 'persona' for Bond somehow. The only reason he's mentioned is because of the old Jag 'good to be bad' ad and his role in The Night Manager where he was a reluctant 'spy' anyway.

    If you've seen Dan Stevens in The Guest then you can easily see why he'd be ideal for the role. The guy has it all. If I were EON (perhaps they already are) I would get onto his agent quicker than George Galloway over a rug and saucer of milk.

    Completely agree. After probably unattainable Fassbender, he's my first pick.
    What is Dan Stevens working on these days? He's been a bit quiet lately, no?

    I think he wrapped a couple of films and is now filming Legion tv show. Don't know if it's picked up for a series or is just a pilot. Probably the latter.
    Great, thanks. I have to look into his work. I only know him from Downton Abbey and he was pretty decent there.
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    Posts: 108
    The Guest should give you pretty good idea.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,139
    peter wrote: »
    also old Bond had less sophisticated competition as modern Bond, and modern Bond comes out still winning every time...

    Never mind the competition, old Bond was sophisticated itself. But i'm all for cutting the running time down, and making a spy thriller with less action.

    The action is what costs, afterall. You can have a scene with great suspense on a shoestring budget. All you need is a bit of ingenuity.

    Yep!!

    The new Bourne film has a budget of $120 million!! From the trailers, it's obviously money well spent so far.

    I've been saying for years The Bond films need to not only reduce their budgets but to spend wisely. QoS as great as film as it is, abused their on location spending but SP really was the movie where everyone completely lost their minds.

    It's absolutely ridiculous that after all these years EoN act as though they haven't learned anything when it comes to money management.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Posts: 8,229
    150 million and a run time of 2 hours for B25 would do fine.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,139
    bondjames wrote: »
    StanKobra wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    StanKobra wrote: »
    I honestly don't see why Dan Stevens isn't being touted as the next likliest actor to be Bond. I appreciate everyone has their favourites but I can't see Tom Hiddleston as 007. He's a great actor, has a good voice and presence but just doesn't have the 'persona' for Bond somehow. The only reason he's mentioned is because of the old Jag 'good to be bad' ad and his role in The Night Manager where he was a reluctant 'spy' anyway.

    If you've seen Dan Stevens in The Guest then you can easily see why he'd be ideal for the role. The guy has it all. If I were EON (perhaps they already are) I would get onto his agent quicker than George Galloway over a rug and saucer of milk.

    Completely agree. After probably unattainable Fassbender, he's my first pick.
    What is Dan Stevens working on these days? He's been a bit quiet lately, no?

    I think he wrapped a couple of films and is now filming Legion tv show. Don't know if it's picked up for a series or is just a pilot. Probably the latter.
    Great, thanks. I have to look into his work. I only know him from Downton Abbey and he was pretty decent there.

    He's also going to be in what's tracking to be one of the biggest movies next year, the live action beauty and the beast.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    doubleoego wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    StanKobra wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    StanKobra wrote: »
    I honestly don't see why Dan Stevens isn't being touted as the next likliest actor to be Bond. I appreciate everyone has their favourites but I can't see Tom Hiddleston as 007. He's a great actor, has a good voice and presence but just doesn't have the 'persona' for Bond somehow. The only reason he's mentioned is because of the old Jag 'good to be bad' ad and his role in The Night Manager where he was a reluctant 'spy' anyway.

    If you've seen Dan Stevens in The Guest then you can easily see why he'd be ideal for the role. The guy has it all. If I were EON (perhaps they already are) I would get onto his agent quicker than George Galloway over a rug and saucer of milk.

    Completely agree. After probably unattainable Fassbender, he's my first pick.
    What is Dan Stevens working on these days? He's been a bit quiet lately, no?

    I think he wrapped a couple of films and is now filming Legion tv show. Don't know if it's picked up for a series or is just a pilot. Probably the latter.
    Great, thanks. I have to look into his work. I only know him from Downton Abbey and he was pretty decent there.

    He's also going to be in what's tracking to be one of the biggest movies next year, the live action beauty and the beast.
    Thanks. I'll look out for that one too.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,696
    I thought the nightclub shootout in 'John Wick' was totally insane and rivaled more stunt-based action films I've seen in recent years. I'd love to see a big action scene in a future Bond film that would show Bond as a master stealth killer. I really enjoy what they did with Craig Bond - the blunt force who wins because he never backs down, but I'd like to see Bond as an intense killer out for blood. Like other famous nightclub shootout in 'Collateral': Cruise was friggin scary in that scene, the way he destroys the first guy by snapping his knee and his neck is just insane.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, the Collateral scene is insane, agreed. Love that shoot out. I also love the one in The International that was discussed earlier.

    Regarding Craig as mass killer, I think we already saw that in his breakout from Blofeld HQ. He must have killed at least a dozen with one shot per head, including the long range, almost sniper-like kills. No really fancy man to man combat though, probably on account of his busted knee.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,696
    @bondjames that mass killing scene in SP is not what I had in mind. What I'd like to see in some sort of 'mass killing' scene is Bond meddling with the crowd and slowly but surely destroying the goons in the crowd. Maybe a demonstration (like the ones in Paris right now) with the villain force in it, and Bond joins in and one by one snaps knees and necks. Blunt force, deadly skills and expert stealth all mixed in one scene.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Posts: 8,229
    I thought the nightclub shootout in 'John Wick' was totally insane and rivaled more stunt-based action films I've seen in recent years. I'd love to see a big action scene in a future Bond film that would show Bond as a master stealth killer. I really enjoy what they did with Craig Bond - the blunt force who wins because he never backs down, but I'd like to see Bond as an intense killer out for blood. Like other famous nightclub shootout in 'Collateral': Cruise was friggin scary in that scene, the way he destroys the first guy by snapping his knee and his neck is just insane.

    Yeah, when you think about it there is so much scope for inventive and unique action or a smaller scale, the Bond series seems locked in the same vehicle based chase sequences.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, as you describe your ideal scene, I'm imagining Neeson as Bryan Mills. That's the sort of thing we're likely to see in Taken 4, if there's one in the works. Or even Batman/Wayne. Yes, that would be a neat scene, as it could demonstrate Bond's fighting skills and training.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Posts: 15,696
    @bondjames I know Neeson is working on a 4th action film with the same director he worked with on 'Unknown', 'Non Stop' and 'Run All Night'. Hopefully they are reading this thread.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, I'll be in line to watch Taken 4 if they make one. I liked the 3rd one much better than the 2nd one, and Neeson kicking 'a' always gets me into the theatres no matter how average the film is.

    The thing about Bond though, I prefer when I see him in a tough situation. When he's less than superhuman. When he bleeds or has his back against the wall and has to think quickly to get out of situation. That's why I wasn't too keen on his quick fights in SP (other than the Hinx one). They were too easy. He was too much in charge. I prefer just one (but more life threatening) fight than Bond going through several foes in a scene. The QoS Slate fight comes to mind as being 'just right'. He was in danger, but he was able to overpower Slate.

    I am more comfortable with Neeson going through a bunch of thugs.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Posts: 15,696
    @bondjames glad we feel the same way about Neeson. I enjoyed all 3 Taken films (even if the 1st one is way above the 2 sequels), but Liam is just bloody fantastic. The man has a natural 'cool/intense factor' that he doesn't really act in his action flicks, yet he still lights up the screen. And his voice is just off the charts.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, Neeson ruled in Batman Begins. Such screen gravitas as Ra's al Ghul. Same goes for The Phantom Menace. The film would have been half what it was without him.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Posts: 1,130
    bondjames wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007, as you describe your ideal scene, I'm imagining Neeson as Bryan Mills. That's the sort of thing we're likely to see in Taken 4, if there's one in the works. Or even Batman/Wayne. Yes, that would be a neat scene, as it could demonstrate Bond's fighting skills and training.

    Taken 4?
    Are you sure?, the last time the poster said everything ends here and Liam Said he wouldn't do more, i don't know if im excited or worried about it.
    Seems like they will do as many as they can.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posts: 45,489
    Taken? I was taken with the first, the second was Mistaken, didn t see the third.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Posts: 13,384
    Taken 4 ? Please God No ! :-O
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posts: 45,489
    Taken 4 A Ride.
  • Posts: 709
    peter wrote: »
    Hiddles is not going to be Bond.
    Turner is not going to be Bond.
    Bell is not going to be Bond.

    At this point, DC has the best chance of returning as Bond, if he wants it.

    And even then, even if he does want it back, the role still may be taken away from him...

    Am I that arrogant to be making these above, sweeping predictions?

    No.

    I only say this because, until a distributor is attached, no one is 100% guaranteed to be wearing the tux.

    It's the distributor who has to agree to the cast (after all they're going to be selling the film in the markets around the world).

    That's why I say Craig has the best, although, not guaranteed, chance of being 007 (providing he wants to). He's been big bank for the franchise, so, if Sony comes back again, they may want to stick with the goose who lays the golden eggs.

    If it's a new partnership, with another company, they may think the same: we can lessen risk, make guaranteed bank with this guy over two films (providing he wants to. And if he does, lock him up for two more films. If he's not going to commit to two more, then, 'bye-'bye). After this two pic deal, they send him off, make some great capital, then move into the more grinding process of re-casting. Or;

    They might also say: Craig's done, we're the new Sheriff in town, we want a re-boot. We wanna start fresh. We'll take however long it takes to get the casting right, then we'll move into the next film.

    But the casting decision WILL NOT BE MADE without the distribs consent.

    So the media can report all it wants about Hiddles, Turner, et al... But, realistically, and no matter how much it pains to say: this is going to take a while.

    Well said. I wanna requote that deadline article:

    "There have been no negotiations on where the Bond movie will land (Sony or Warner Bros. are out front on this) and although it was thought that negotiations might start after the first quarter 2016, parties are not likely to engage in negotiations until later this year. There is no workable script yet and the creative elements have yet to come into place."

    So...no studio, no director, no script...but they're in "advanced negotiations" with Piddles? Doesn't make any sense. (Wouldnt they have done the traditional FRWL screentest, with several different actors, and if so, how would this not be publicly known at this point? They are not going to hand this massive role to an actor sight unseen). A studio putting up money IS going to want to have a say in who stars and who directs, especially if EON is putting unproven names out there; there were articles about Amy Pascal asking Brosnan back, and having to be convinced about Craig. I believe its entirely possible that EON is putting together a list of potentials - Bell, Turner, Piddles, etc that they can present to a studio. But then again certain studios have their own relationships and deals with people that they might want to put forward - as a random but not irrelevant example, WB has Christopher Nolan and Tom Hardy. Martin Campbell and Marc Forster had pre-existing relationships with Sony, etc.

    And on another note, let's not forget what happened with DAF - they offered Connery a big payday AND a deal for financing for a non-Bond picture. Craig might find something like that more attractive than "just" money, if doing another Bond allows him to get a personal project off the ground.
Sign In or Register to comment.