No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

So should Bond eat Pie in Bond 25 or should he have cake?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,087
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    One of the biggest problems for Bond and in society at large is, men can't be men. Being a "man" causes all sorts of ancillary offences and now more than ever branding is everything. How does Bond get to be Bond as the world knew and loved him in the first place without pissing off certain groups or to not be seen as gauche? With the proliferating culture of social media and its do or die cult-like users it's now possible to have brands, institutions and legacies come under nuclear levels of fire, reputations ruined and sales brutally compromised.

You have all manner of morons and creeps instigating trouble, turning minor and even normal/typical things into an international moral panic and don't get me started on those so called "shippers" who are so far removed from reality that's it's beyond terrifying to the point where actually considering mind control may actually be tge best thing for the human race.

Bond as he is is so watered down now. Criticisms of his character at his expense within the novies themselves (looking at you especially GE) is embarrassing and a huge slap to the face of Fleming and the hardwork the movie makers put in in the first place to get these movies up and running in the early days. Now, we have Craig appeasing certain groups by outright adversely calling Bond a misogynist and dressing up as a woman to promote women's rights, which in principle isn't a bad thing but it's not something James bloody Bond should be going anywhere near. Stripping down the character and peeling back the layers is one thing but all this dismantling of the man is shameful and ridiculous.

Someone finally said it! =D>

+1

(Oddly now I have the "Now that we're men song" from the first Spongue Bob movie in my head BUT ignoring that I agree.)

Funnily enough my first thought went to 'Now You're A Man' By trey Parker and Matt Stone. Type that into YouTube if you want a laugh. It's from the movie Orgazmo.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Meh, I quite enjoy the fact that I don't have to conform to some ridiculous arbitrary standard of what a "man" is. And I think M's dressing down of Bond is one of the best scenes of the Brosnan era, an excellent way to address Bond's character in the modern world. But different strokes I guess.

Masculinity and femininity are anything BUT arbitrary. The coercive neutered "masculinity" of our age is a deranged aberration.

I'm generally of the school of thought that people be should be able to be or do whatever they want with their life, regardless of your archaic perception of what men and women should be. I've always found masculinity to be quite a poisonous concept, but I fear that we're drifting off topic here.

Contradictions, contradictions everywhere.

Masculinity as a concept enforces an oppressive stereotype upon the entire population and dictates what is and isn't acceptable for either gender. I'd say that's pretty oppressive. If you want to eat steak and drink bear and get into fights, that's fine (I enjoy 2/3 of those things) just don't force it on anyone else.

Anyway if we could get back to Bond.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Meh, I quite enjoy the fact that I don't have to conform to some ridiculous arbitrary standard of what a "man" is. And I think M's dressing down of Bond is one of the best scenes of the Brosnan era, an excellent way to address Bond's character in the modern world. But different strokes I guess.

Masculinity and femininity are anything BUT arbitrary. The coercive neutered "masculinity" of our age is a deranged aberration.

I'm generally of the school of thought that people be should be able to be or do whatever they want with their life, regardless of your archaic perception of what men and women should be. I've always found masculinity to be quite a poisonous concept, but I fear that we're drifting off topic here.

Masculinity as a concept enforces an oppressive stereotype upon the entire population and dictates what is and isn't acceptable for either gender. I'd say that's pretty oppressive. If you want to eat steak and drink bear and get into fights, that's fine (I enjoy 2/3 of those things) just don't force it on anyone else.

What planet are you from? That's the stereotype of masculinity. You say people should be what they want to be but masculinity is too much? What a hypocrite. If people want to be strong and muscular then they can. Masculinity doesn't enforce those "oppressive stereotypes" as you say. That's the common BS talk of an SJW keyboard warrior. You seem to be trying to force things on others that disagree with you. That's oppressive wouldn't you say?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

What planet are you from? That's the stereotype of masculinity. You say people should be what they want to be but masculinity is too much? What a hypocrite. If people want to be strong and muscular then they can. Masculinity doesn't enforce those "oppressive stereotypes" as you say. That's the common BS talk of an SJW keyboard warrior. You seem to be trying to force things on others that disagree with you. That's oppressive wouldn't you say?

Men are a certain way, women are a certain other way. No one is better than anyone else. SJWs struggle with sexual dimorphism at the best of times. :)

Men can be masculine if they want, but others shouldn't be bullied if they don't want to conform to it's trappings. The expectations of masculine culture can really screw people up, there's a reason male suicide rates are so high. Likewise, women should be able to be as successful and feminine as they want without others demeaning them for it. It's the attitude that mean should be masculine and women should be feminine that is poisonous, I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear about that. This forum is hardly the most masculine bunch, we're all sat on our arses talking about silly films all day. I doubt Arnie would be very proud.

I find it laughable that the term "social justice warrior" is somehow an insult. Surely providing social justice and greater opportunities is an admirable aim?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Men can be masculine if they want, but others shouldn't be bullied if they don't want to conform to it's trappings. The expectations of masculine culture can really screw people up, there's a reason male suicide rates are so high. Likewise, women should be able to be as successful and feminine as they want without others demeaning them for it. It's the attitude that mean should be masculine and women should be feminine that is poisonous, I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear about that. This forum is hardly the most masculine bunch, we're all sat on our arses talking about silly films all day. I doubt Arnie would be very proud.

I find it laughable that the term "social justice warrior" is somehow an insult. Surely providing social justice and greater opportunities is an admirable aim?

Perhaps I should say Cultural Marxist. Which is what you are trying to convey.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    One of the biggest problems for Bond and in society at large is, men can't be men. Being a "man" causes all sorts of ancillary offences and now more than ever branding is everything. How does Bond get to be Bond as the world knew and loved him in the first place without pissing off certain groups or to not be seen as gauche? With the proliferating culture of social media and its do or die cult-like users it's now possible to have brands, institutions and legacies come under nuclear levels of fire, reputations ruined and sales brutally compromised.

You have all manner of morons and creeps instigating trouble, turning minor and even normal/typical things into an international moral panic and don't get me started on those so called "shippers" who are so far removed from reality that's it's beyond terrifying to the point where actually considering mind control may actually be tge best thing for the human race.

Bond as he is is so watered down now. Criticisms of his character at his expense within the novies themselves (looking at you especially GE) is embarrassing and a huge slap to the face of Fleming and the hardwork the movie makers put in in the first place to get these movies up and running in the early days. Now, we have Craig appeasing certain groups by outright adversely calling Bond a misogynist and dressing up as a woman to promote women's rights, which in principle isn't a bad thing but it's not something James bloody Bond should be going anywhere near. Stripping down the character and peeling back the layers is one thing but all this dismantling of the man is shameful and ridiculous.

+1

(Oddly now I have the "Now that we're men song" from the first Spongue Bob movie in my head BUT ignoring that I agree.)

Funnily enough my first thought went to 'Now You're A Man' By trey Parker and Matt Stone. Type that into YouTube if you want a laugh. It's from the movie Orgazmo.

Oh that's funny. This whole thread now is making me hmmm "bag o weed" from Family Guy ...YouTube that one. Funny.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

+1

Oh that's funny. This whole thread now is making me hmmm "bag o weed" from Family Guy ...YouTube that one. Funny.

And even that song from Family Guy has a direct link to Fleming
    After all it's a piss take of The Old Bamboo from Chity Chity Bang Bang ..... ,!

I have read Marx, but I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with the Frankfurt school.
    Cruise has zero personal life. Apparently hasn't seen his daughter in years. Craig's time with his family between the endless Bond shoots is obviously a big issue to him.
    And how many Broadway plays has Cruise had the guts and technical skill to do. Craig is about to do his 3rd. It is what is important to him. Cruise is going for the money and the movie fame. Craig obviously doesn't give a damn. I wish he'd do more films, but it is not his priority. We don't have a clue what is driving him to not do 4 films a year like Cruise other than family issues and spending his time on stage work. He obviously has other priorities than Cruise.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

+1

After all it's a piss take of The Old Bamboo from Chity Chity Bang Bang ..... ,!

That's Mary Poppins, old man.

+1

I don't mean to be a racist white guy but no it's not it's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. The music I believe was written by a guy named Sherman.

+1

I don't mean to be a racist white guy but no it's not it's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. The music I believe was written by a guy named Sherman.

Quite so thanks .
    You're quite welcome @Mrcoggins.

Just looked it up, I was confusing it with Step in Time, my bad.

You're quite right. Next week I'm going to be Vladimir Putin. I better snag that sable coat...

No harm done .

Yep. Reading your junk makes me want to jump off the Tallahatchee Bridge. But more seriously, if male suicide rates are high, I suspect it is because people like you bash men constantly, ridicule masculinity, and confuse them with your "gender" fluidity nonsense. Men are genetically men and women are genetically women. To the extent one attempts to deviate from the norms, they harm themselves.

Oh. And social justice is just a pretty term for socialism.

I have read Marx, but I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with the Frankfurt school.

Which only goes to show how well the agitprop works. Poor deluded fools are converted into Horkheimers in miniature and they don't even realize it. Somewhere Herbert Marcuse is beaming.

Might it not be time to get this thread back on the right track .

Yep. Reading your junk makes me want to jump off the Tallahatchee Bridge. But more seriously, if male suicide rates are high, I suspect it is because people like you bash men constantly, ridicule masculinity, and confuse them with your "gender" fluidity nonsense. Men are genetically men and women are genetically women. To the extent one attempts to deviate from the norms, they harm themselves.

I'm not going to get into a political debate on a James Bond forum, much less with someone who believes that socialism is a dirty word. I just think it's desperately sad to see that some people still think they can dictate how others wish to identify themselves and live their lives happily.

Anyway I've disappointed myself by being dragged this far into the discussion, so I think I'll chime out until the conversation turns back to something Bond related.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,756
    100+ comments on this thread and no news... wow, this thread has come to a new low.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    100+ comments on this thread and no news... wow, this thread has come to a new low.

My thoughts exactly! Got excited when I saw the numbers. Clicked on it & got let down.
    So Elba's CV is not dissimilar to Craig's before he did Bond?

And let's not forget that Craig's non-Bond leading film roles have been mainly flops.

We're talking about this stuff because there is no real news. And I don't think Elba is ever going to be Bond. But I do think that were he ten years younger he'd definitely make a decent stab at the role.

The role brings with it a gravitas that can elevate an actor to a higher level - as I'd argue it has with most of the Bond actors apart from Brosnan.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 11,425
    So Elba's CV is not dissimilar to Craig's before he did Bond?

And let's not forget that Craig's non-Bond leading film roles have been mainly flops.

We're talking about this stuff because there is no real news. And I don't think Elba is ever going to be Bond. But I do think that were he ten years younger he'd definitely make a decent stab at the role.

The role brings with it a gravitas that can elevate an actor to a higher level - as I'd argue it has with most of the Bond actors apart from Brosnan.
    bondjames wrote: »
    it's quite believable, due to Elba's star power.

I keep hearing this from the seemingly unstoppable Elba propaganda machine that rivals the Kremlin in its heyday but what's he actually been in that justifies the phrase 'star power'?

A few decent performances in TV shows and a handful of supporting roles in films. He's hardly a tent pole name that puts 100m on the gross just because his name is on the poster is he?

And I just found out that he has an OBE for 'services to drama'!?! Is this a wind up? Especially when a quick Google shows that the likes of Ralph Fiennes and Timothy Dalton don't.

Elba's CV is completely average. No he's not plumbing the depths of Steven Toast but nor is he George Clooney so I really don't understand this constant obsession with him in the press. He must have a phenomenal agent is all I can think.

Sorry double post. Something not working with the site for me. This was a response to a Wizard of Ice comment way back but the quoted comment didn't appear.
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    No harm done .

Maybe harm done apparently.