HERE BE SPOILERS - Skyfall Codename Conspiracy

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    (As an amusing aside here it's interesting to note that if you replace 'the codename theory' with 'the existence of God' in this debate absolutely nothing changes. Except the Mods intervene around page 2 and give us all a slap for laughing at Mendes and Oddjob and say we should respect their beliefs. Strange how some people's crackpot beliefs are beyond ridicule and some aren't.)

Cheeky git. You like to slip these digs in. And of course I bite as usual.

Yes I do ask for people to respect others religious beliefs, and you may not see the difference between religious beliefs and codename theories in the Bond world, but I certainly do.

Some members do have their religious beliefs and it's fair game for those who don't, but the brow beating and ridicule sometimes gets out of hand, so I ask for it to be cooled. Live and let live and all that. Doesn't mean you can't argue against it, but it has gone too far at times.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I realized a while back that the proponents of the codename theory won't back down unless and until EON come out and say quite categorically and unequivocally that Bond is not a code name. Even that may be insufficient to them. The proof must be absolute and on screen.

So perhaps a disclaimer put at the bottom of the screen of a Bond film introducing a new Bond actor confirming that he is in fact playing the same man as all the other actors have over the past 50 yrs would be sufficient to finally put this thing to bed. Nothing else will suffice.
  • I am about to be banned. That is proof enough of it's truth.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    NicNac wrote: »
    (As an amusing aside here it's interesting to note that if you replace 'the codename theory' with 'the existence of God' in this debate absolutely nothing changes. Except the Mods intervene around page 2 and give us all a slap for laughing at Mendes and Oddjob and say we should respect their beliefs. Strange how some people's crackpot beliefs are beyond ridicule and some aren't.)

Yes I do ask for people to respect others religious beliefs, and you may not see the difference between religious beliefs and codename theories in the Bond world, but I certainly do.

Some members do have their religious beliefs and it's fair game for those who don't, but the brow beating and ridicule sometimes gets out of hand, so I ask for it to be cooled. Live and let live and all that. Doesn't mean you can't argue against it, but it has gone too far at times.

Yes you did bite. And I was only referring to you Mods here in the wider sense of the authorities and governments who order us to respect people's beliefs. And that's what winds people up - this special 'protected' status afforded to religion.

So when you say it has gone to far are you talking about ridiculing the religious or ridiculing codename theory apologists? Because to be honest there's only a cigarette paper between the two and that's because the codename theory is more plausible.

• RC7RC7
    I believe the codename theory is credible - an axiom that is not contradicted. That is the limit of my contention.

Well if that's all the proof you need you must also consider any theory anyone comes up with that cannot be contradicted as equally plausible?

Bond is actually a woman in drag? We never see his dick so therefore it cannot be contradicted. He's just lezzing it up with all those Bond girls.

Admittedly Dan in the speedos must have had a lot of testosterone injections to end up looking like that but nonetheless.

Did you know Max the parrot was actually possessed by the spirit of Timothy Havelock? Max was a conduit between the deceased and the real world.
    The problem with the Code Name theory is you can start applying it to Napoleon Solo, Simon Templar, Jim Phelps etc. Different actors played the characters mentioned.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I am about to be banned. That is proof enough of it's truth.
    I hope not. I may disagree with your theory but I don't see any evidence of a need for that.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

As with any religion it needs a martyr, but it will not proof anything.
  • RC7RC7

The day the codename theory died. In thirty years time your grandson will gaze upon your hat and claim to 'finish what you started'. He'll then kill his father with it.
    I believe the codename theory is credible - an axiom that is not contradicted. That is the limit of my contention.

Following that argument - we don't know if he has a penis.

Yes you did bite. And I was only referring to you Mods here in the wider sense of the authorities and governments who order us to respect people's beliefs. And that's what winds people up - this special 'protected' status afforded to religion.

So when you say it has gone to far are you talking about ridiculing the religious or ridiculing codename theory apologists? Because to be honest there's only a cigarette paper between the two and that's because the codename theory is more plausible.

It's not about plausibility though. Religion has been part of mankind since..ooh..forever. And whether we believe or not (I don't by the way) it's deeply rooted in our culture, and some people are sensitive to the subject. Codename theory has been rooted in our Bond culture for a few years, so there is more than a cigarette paper between them.

However, to answer your question, anything that breaks with the Ts&Cs around here are frowned on. Religion doesn't have 'protected status'. Like I said in the last post please argue against it for all it's worth (which won't be much) but don't attack members who don't adhere with your view (not 'you' of course, I'm also talking 'in the wider sense'). In the past it has got out of hand as many subjects do.

So, please don't mix up the subject matter with our views on the way members approach the subject matter

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Unfortunately when a previously banned member tries to slip back onto the forum. We cannot just ignore it,
    Members are banned for a reason. We give everyone a fair chance. Sadly Oddjobs_Hat has been exposed as having a previous banned account.

It's not about plausibility though. Religion has been part of mankind since..ooh..forever. And whether we believe or not (I don't by the way) it's deeply rooted in our culture, and some people are sensitive to the subject. Codename theory has been rooted in our Bond culture for a few years, so there is more than a cigarette paper between them.

However, to answer your question, anything that breaks with the Ts&Cs around here are frowned on. Religion doesn't have 'protected status'. Like I said in the last post please argue against it for all it's worth (which won't be much) but don't attack members who don't adhere with your view (not 'you' of course, I'm also talking 'in the wider sense'). In the past it has got out of hand as many subjects do.

So, please don't mix up the subject matter with our views on the way members approach the subject matter

I find it predictably depressing that for 17 pages we have been ridiculing Mendes and Oddjob (doesn't surprise me in the least he is revealed to be a troll given 90% of his posts have been to keep chugging this thread along) and you (the Mods) haven't said a word but the moment religion is mentioned you are straight in.

So are we to infer it's fine to ridicule people for their beliefs just as long as those beliefs aren't religious?

Not having a pop at any of the Mods here by the way as I know your hands are tied by the wider approach society inexplicably can't shake off in keeping the religious wrapped in cotton wool and protected from the scrutiny anyone else has to be subjected to.

And to be fair you know if you start defending religion then I am going to bite!!!
    No, I came in when you brought up the mods involvement in said religious threads. Quite happy until then.

Again, I'm not defending religion, I'm ....aww never mind. Can't be bothered to say it again.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Well, it was fun while it lasted. :D
    I did suggest this thread be closed a long time ago ... it was pretty obvious it was a troll.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Everyone has their beliefs and everyone has their beliefs about other's beliefs.

Discussion went nowhere.

We need news before we implode again. Breath everyone. Best to all.
    Oh is that it?

Shame because I think @Mendes4lyfe is mere seconds away from finding his evidence from down the back of the sofa.
    Oh is that it?

Shame because I think @Mendes4lyfe is mere seconds away from finding his evidence from down the back of the sofa.

Maybe he's sexing it up like the 45min claim before we went to war in Iraq ...
    I think we all knew there was a bit of trolling being forced on us but by
    Playing along it Kept it off other threads, and we all had a good laugh
    With him thinking he was fooling anyone.
    Although like Fu Manchu said ( sort of ) ....
    ....... " MI6, Shall hear of Me Again ! " ;)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Oddjob'sHat has been outed as a troll? I wouldn't have guessed...
    Perhaps we could place a collection of his names in a Tribute thread ? :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Perhaps we could place a collection of his names in a Tribute thread ? :)

Santé, monsieur Aubergine. ;)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So the codename theory has finally been proved? Didn t see it coming, but I am on board now.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Without the you know what from you know who this thread will die an untimely death.
    I propose we bump it up every day for all eternity. We can post the latest soccer results or lottery numbers, if that gets too boring a poem from Goethe is always welcome.
    We should keep it for other crazy ideas and theories, in memory of the
    Great man. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    We should keep it for other crazy ideas and theories, in memory of the
    Great man. :)

What? Sam Mendes is dead? So sad to hear it. RIP.
    No Mendes is 4 Lyfe, not just for Christmas. :D
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2016 Posts: 8,078
    Well, people are getting banned now. This discussion is dead, as far as I am concerned. I just can't risk being the next target.
    We have a theory about that ........ :D
This discussion has been closed.