No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    landscape_showbiz-venice-film-festival-ralph-fiennes-01.jpg
    I didn t know Fiennes was into hard drugs.

That's the exact same face I'll be making once we finally get some concrete information on 'Bond 25.'

@Creasy47, Ralph is doing your future "Roger Deakins is the cinematographer of Bond 25" face.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that is exactly how the video of me screaming like a little girl would've looked had it been announced! There's always 'Bond 25.'
  • I don't really care if Fiennes doesn't return, I didn't like his M in SP. But if Craig returns he should stick around for another of course.
    I don't really care if Fiennes doesn't return, I didn't like his M in SP. But if Craig returns he should stick around for another of course.

I wasn't happy with how M and MP were portrayed in SP, either, but at the same time, he only received one film to work with thus far; you aren't willing to give it another go and see how he does? I'm not ready to count him out just yet, I think he has potential to be a great M, if they can reel it in and not make him Bond's sidekick from here on out.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I know I'm probably in a minority disliking Bardem's Silva.
    For me the movie gets completely derailed after 70 minutes when Silva enters the screen.

thats when the movie picks up for me.... Bardem is one of my favorite villains for the same exact reason you hate him - his camp.. both him and Christopher Walken made being a Bond villain look deliciously fun, and just because he camped it up doesn't make it bad - because thats what the character called for - arrogance, manipulative, unhinged, dellusional - like a cat toying with a mouse before he eats it.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't really care if Fiennes doesn't return, I didn't like his M in SP. But if Craig returns he should stick around for another of course.

I wasn't happy with how M and MP were portrayed in SP, either, but at the same time, he only received one film to work with thus far; you aren't willing to give it another go and see how he does? I'm not ready to count him out just yet, I think he has potential to be a great M, if they can reel it in and not make him Bond's sidekick from here on out.

He has potential certainly (as evidenced by SF) so he should stay around if Craig does another one. But if he is thinking of quitting now he probably won't stay for another tenure anyway, so...

He has potential certainly (as evidenced by SF) so he should stay around if Craig does another one. But if he is thinking of quitting now he probably won't stay for another tenure anyway, so...

The article makes it seem as if Fiennes is unsure of whether or not they'll want him back if Craig doesn't return, not that he wouldn't want to. He may be anticipating a reboot or them taking it in a completely different direction if they have to recast for 'Bond 25.'
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

The article makes it seem as if Fiennes is unsure of whether or not they'll want him back if Craig doesn't return, not that he wouldn't want to. He may be anticipating a reboot or them taking it in a completely different direction if they have to recast for 'Bond 25.'

Ooooooh ohhhhh OK. Sensible.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,399
    If Fiennes goes - and Craig goes, then i honestly think you scrap everyone at this point and start fresh..

but i am all for keeping people around for as long as they are willing to be kept around for - so personally, i would like Fiennes as M for a very long time - regardless if they give him plenty to do, or go back to Lee/Brown days and just have him hand Bond a mission to start off the film, then he collects his check and f's off - i dont care... he is fine actor, whether he is only in a Bond movie for 5 minutes or 30.... the same goes for Wishaw, Harris and Kinnear..... no one is above being replaceable - but i really like them, and hope they stick around.

i think what they need to get past between Bond and M (whether it was Dench or Fiennes) is this notion they need to be at odds with one another - or that Bond always has be dressed down by M... it's the trust BS that they just need to get beyond.... I don't mind M putting Bond in his place every now and then - Lee did it with Sean, Laz, and Rog.. but in the end, there was a sense of "i still trust you to make the right decision." .... in Craig's run, his Bond is being treated like a loose cannon that has zero self control, that constantly has to re-earn M's trust by the end of the films.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 40,635
    @haserot, that's my issue with the Bond/M dynamic of late: after a while, M has to realize that Bond was never rogue and was trying to help and complete the mission all along. The lack of trust angle needs to go ASAP, it's old beyond belief now.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Arguably this issue wasn't there in SF. In fact, M went out of her way to show she trusted Bond implicitly, putting him back on the active roster even after he failed the tests. The 'bloody shot' at the start was just her poor judgement under pressure and panic.

Sadly, they went back to square one with SP, but even then, it wasn't really trust but just that M needed to cover his own a$$ due to C's poking around, and he knew Bond wasn't going to play ball.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Arguably this issue wasn't there in SF. In fact, M went out of her way to show she trusted Bond implicitly, putting him back on the active roster even after he failed the tests. The 'bloody shot' at the start was just her poor judgement under pressure and panic.

Sadly, they went back to square one with SP, but even then, it wasn't really trust but just that M needed to cover his own a$$ due to C's poking around, and he knew Bond wasn't going to play ball.

agreed about SF...

in SP, yes you are right - but he also grounds Bond indefinitely because he doesn't trust him, because he knows Bond went out of his jurisdiction for a reason, but wasn't going to tell him, because Bond didn't trust him either...... i am just growing tired of the trust issues - either that M has with Bond, or Bond with M.. i think it's really been too prevalent in Craig's films, and i sincerely hope if he comes back for Bond 25, that it's something that gets dropped... it's just like the whole MI6 mole / good guy is really a bad guy angle that we had from TWINE thru to CR.
    It's not just those two, it harks back to Dalton/Brosnan's time, as well. Plus, CR and QoS, of course.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    HASEROT wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

agreed about SF...

in SP, yes you are right - but he also grounds Bond indefinitely because he doesn't trust him, because he knows Bond went out of his jurisdiction for a reason, but wasn't going to tell him, because Bond didn't trust him either...... i am just growing tired of the trust issues - either that M has with Bond, or Bond with M.. i think it's really been too prevalent in Craig's films, and i sincerely hope if he comes back for Bond 25, that it's something that gets dropped... it's just like the whole MI6 mole / good guy is really a bad guy angle that we had from TWINE thru to CR.
    I sometimes wonder if that opening SP M/Bond exchange was devised in an earlier draft, and then they just decided to keep it in even when changes were made to the script.

For example, I know that in an earlier draft, Fiennes was supposed to be the traitor. The opening office scene, with the harsh exchange between Bond and M, and Bond not telling him why he was in Mexico City, almost seems like it was created at a time when Fiennes was intended to be the baddie. It just feels a little harsh in the film.
    I dont believe Craig is undecided & EON have their anwser

Greg Wislons comments lead me to believe Craig might not return. Also Barbara & Micheal have been quiet lately,
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 11,425
    HASEROT wrote: »
    I know I'm probably in a minority disliking Bardem's Silva.
    For me the movie gets completely derailed after 70 minutes when Silva enters the screen.

thats when the movie picks up for me.... Bardem is one of my favorite villains for the same exact reason you hate him - his camp.. both him and Christopher Walken made being a Bond villain look deliciously fun, and just because he camped it up doesn't make it bad - because thats what the character called for - arrogance, manipulative, unhinged, dellusional - like a cat toying with a mouse before he eats it.

I quite enjoyed SF upto the point they leave Silva's Island. For me, that's the point it all begins to fall apart - I.e. When the choppers appear hovering over the island.

Silva's entrance itself is excellent IMO. And I don't think Bardem is the problem with the rest of the film. I think it's some pretty lazy plotting and IMO some not great direction.

With regards to Fiennes I think he could be really good but agree he needs to just be in an authority figure type role and stop the trust issues and all this tedious nonsense of having the whole team out in the field all the time.

Funnily enough this all started in the Dalton period. Going rogue, licence revoked, disobeying M, M grounding Bond, Q out in the field while 'on holiday'.

I've always been a bit unsure about my feelings towards LTK and he more time that passes the more I feel it opened the floodgates to some thing I don't like.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The last time there was a mission with no personal ties to Bond and MI6, and where Bond is not asked to be grounded by M, is AVTAK. So by the time we get to Bond 25 it will have been 10 films and 33 years since the last straightforward Bond adventure.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The last time there was a mission with no personal ties to Bond and MI6, and where Bond is not asked to be grounded by M, is AVTAK. So by the time we get to Bond 25 it will have been 10 films and 33 years since the last straightforward Bond adventure.

I would argue that The Living Daylights is the last straight forward film. Ok, there's the death of Saunders, but I don't believe that spurs Bond on anymore more than one more reason to stop Whittaker & Pushkin. I don't feel as though revenge comes into it.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Granted, but do you think that the fact that Bond is disobeying orders re. not killing Pushkin as per M's orders, counts into Bond going rogue angle, Major?
    Seems like each tiny bit of news or what not we're getting lately further indicates everything is up in the air. This seems to happen every other film now, and has been the cycle the past 14 years. If history repeats itself we are certainly in for yet another major change in the direction of the series at this point.
    I like Fiennes as M, and would be pleased for him to stay, but the Craig story arc and era has put the filmmakers in such a spot that it might not seem feasible to have, say, Hiddleson, Turner, etc step in and inhabit Craig's Bond world. Easier to switch Bonds and keep the other regulars when each film was a stand alone adventure, and M, Q, and Moneypenny only appeared once or twice per film.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Fiennes would be a great M. He just needs more films.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond has always disobeyed orders, that is why we like him. Going rogue is something else.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 2,015
    doubleoego wrote: »
    It really isn't that hard to grasp. Go and read up on the break down on how it works.

You mean the estimated breakdown by journalists you keep on refering to which actually are a lot of rough guesswork, or actual breakdowns that were leaked in the Sony leaks ? I prefer the second ones, sorry :)

I thought the fact that MGM stated the releases are up in the air and they have no interest in rushing the next one means that everything is definitely up in the air as they wait to see what Craig does. Will probably be that way for a good while, too.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    How we've gone through 128 pages and almost 4000 comments with close to no major news is pretty damn impressive.
    It is a shame that the series seemed to be going so strong three years ago, now it feels like we're back to square one.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    jake24 wrote: »
    How we've gone through 128 pages and almost 4000 comments with close to no major news is pretty damn impressive.

It was worth it just for that pic of Ralph Fiennes on hard drugs.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    It is a shame that the series seemed to be going so strong three years ago, now it feels like we're back to square one.

Yup :(
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Regardless of your opinion of Spectre, the franchise is still on a high. EoN now have a whole new array of talented writers, directors, and musicians to hire. They know what their mistakes were, and now they have a chance to improve upon them.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2016 Posts: 8,199
    Do we think it will be a 3 or 4 year wait?