Roger Moore CAN act

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Oh, there seem to still be plenty who Hate ( and I do mean Hate)
    Moore and Brosnan :(
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Oh, you might've arrived a bit later than I did. Obviously you've been a bit more active, though.
    I think it comes and goes in phases but I do remember some
    really nasty posts about Brosnan. :(
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I don't hate either, but I much prefer Moore to Brosnan. I am disappointed that the two get mentioned in the same breath many times, as if they're equivalent or something. To me Moore is in a different league to Brosnan as Bond, although in their non-Bond roles I give Brosnan the edge, because he has been more varied in his choices & characters.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Talking about Moore always makes me want to pop one of his Bond outings in my blu ray player. No threads about the other 5 Bond's has the same effect on me.
    Talking about Moore always makes me want to pop one of his Bond outings in my blu ray player. No threads about the other 5 Bond's has the same effect on me.
    Me too. They're just so much fun.
    I think the more interesting question is not so much whether or not he could act (he certainly could) but whether he was a good choice for the role of Bond. There are a lot of good actors who may not be great choices for Bond.

My opinion of Moore's Bond varies on film-to-film but essentially can be summarised by:

Biggest strengths: commanding, confident, charismatic and a strong leader.

Biggest weakness: (and this is terms of his Bond) possibly a bit too "likeable".
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames I'm going to watch TSWLM and MR tonight - I'll try to make another list of 'classic Sir Rog moments' for these 2 outings.
    @DaltonCraig007, all this talk of Moore has made me want to watch TSWLM as well. I usually hold onto that one (like CR & FRWL) for special moments like close to Christmas etc., but I'm going to break soon enough. Your list will probably be the clincher.
    Moore's a bit on the smarmy side in Spy but I like his self assured, professional manner.

Special mention to the scene when he first meets Stromberg, who tests him on his knowledge of sea creatures. Moore tries to remain confident but u can see him thinking quickly to come up with the answer.
    Sir Roger is just one of those actors who puts a smile on my face. :)
    I know I'm in for a good time, whether it's a film, TV series or an
    Interview.
    The last time I did a Bondathon, I was impressed with him in TSWLM. He still had that edge from the earlier two films, but more of his relaxed style was seeping in (just a little, and particularly in the Anya scenes in Egypt). By MR I noticed a little too much 'glibness' but he dialed it back again for FYEO. Then found a very decent balance of everything in OP.
    He can make a bad film half watchable by his reassuring presence. (Spice world, Boat Trip).
    Only my opinion of course but I thought he had his best run
    Playing Bond with FYEO, OP and AVTAK.
    I agree @Bondjames. That's why I think Spy, FYEO and OP are his 3 best performances as Bond. He owns the role in these.
    He has some good moments in AVTAK but I find him less convincing than he was in his previous 2 films.

Probably my favourite 2 scenes of his are the city hall scene and near the end when he takes charge with Mayday and guides her as she's lowering him down to the explosives.
    I'd prefer AVTAK much more if he didn't have that St. John Smythe disguise for so long. That 'character' sort of caricatured the criticisms some have of Moore as Bond so I wish they'd tried something different, like Toro from OP instead.
    Certainly in the PTS when he climbs into the ice berg capsule thing, he comes across as being quite glib, but not in a good way if that makes sense. More like "old Rog doing his thing again".
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I think the fact that this thread needs to be made at all is a bit disillusioning, myself. Sir Roger Moore absolutely could act - maybe he was suppressed and cool most of the time, but he was very much the gentleman actor as Cary Grant and David Niven were in he 1940's and 1950's, even the 1960's. He was a very worthy successor to Sean Connery as Bond, and I feel privileged to have seen him on the big screen as a young boy. 40 years on, he remains my favorite of the Bonds and in my most objective perspective, is second only to Connery himself as the best of them all.

=D> Absolutely! I agree with everything you said.

BAIN123 wrote: »
    I think the more interesting question is not so much whether or not he could act (he certainly could) but whether he was a good choice for the role of Bond.

That's certainly a fair question. I think he was the perfect choice for Bond in 1973 considering A) they needed a professional they could trust to stick around and B) the direction the series was going in.

I as well. I just finished my annual Bond-A-Thon but I still want to watch Moore's again. So fun, so entertaining.

And I just watched Ffolkes for the first time in a while. Great action flick with Moore as a total badass. I may be popping in Wild Geese this weekend as well....
    Another thing about Moore's Bond is his high level of knowledge about so many things. He knows how to disarm bombs, knows things about what's happening in the world like with the Faberge Eggs, different weapon systems the enemy uses, etc. Connery always knew stuff about wines but seemed out of place when discussing the actual job of being a spy. He just went out on the missions and that was it. Moore always seemed more in control and a more active part of the team. Connery was more of a killer instead of an active agent with the total package.
    Moore came off as something of an encyclopedia and cheeky know-it-all, but that didn't stop his films from being helplessly entertaining. I'm one of those who prefers his later films (except AVTAK) to his earlier ones, though, with the obvious exception of TSWLM, which I think is his best film and one of the best Bonds ever.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I loved that about Moore's Bond, he was well read up on certain aspects of the movies before they really kicked off. I miss that in Bond movies today. I love know it all Bond. :D
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 11,189
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Another thing about Moore's Bond is his high level of knowledge about so many things. He knows how to disarm bombs, knows things about what's happening in the world like with the Faberge Eggs, different weapon systems the enemy uses, etc. Connery always knew stuff about wines but seemed out of place when discussing the actual job of being a spy. He just went out on the missions and that was it. Moore always seemed more in control and a more active part of the team. Connery was more of a killer instead of an active agent with the total package.

It's a little thing but I do like the mention Moore makes of writing up his report in FYEO (after the chase with Melina). Don't think we ever had that with Connery or anyone else.
    Craig mentions writing a report in CR, I think. There's mention of Dalton's report in TLD as well, if I recall correctly. But that's about it other than Moore in FYEO.
    Ah. I admit I don't remember those.
    bondjames wrote: »
    For those who liked the Wild Geese (count me amongst them), I also recommend The Sea Wolves. Similar concept and Moore is incredible alongside other legends Gregory Peck & David Niven. I wish they would hurry up and release this film on Blu ray.

Sorry I never got to see THE SEA WOLVES -- which to my knowledge didn't get much of a release in the U.S. (am certain it never played in my city) -- as I was, and am, a James Leasor fan. Strangely, when Moore appeared on Dick Cavett's program, he promoted two of his three current releases, FYEO and THE CANNONBALL RUN, but was strangely silent (per the requests of the producers of the two higher-profile films?) on TSW. Any Americans recall seeing THE SEA WOLVES in theatrical release?
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,092
    Never saw it in release here. I was a kid after all. But I have the DVD. What's a bit frustrating about a lot of his films is that they are kinda hard to get around here. Crossplot was tough to find, Shout at the Devil only recently came out on BD, same with Wild Geese. Freaking Americans... :D :))
    @Shamelady, I've only seen it on dvd and am not certain if it ever got a US theatre release. You can purchase it on amazon, and it's highly recommended if you're a fan of Moore.
    Roger was brilliant in a little shown movie The Naked Face. :)
    ( apologies if it's already been mentioned )