Roger Moore CAN act

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    No offense intended, Moore-ites.
    At least you didn t call us Moore-ons.
    The Moore, the better imho.
  • No, I understand that Moore is the Bond that many people grew up on. No offense meant.
  • No, I understand that Moore is the Bond that many people grew up on. No offense meant.
    He was great in The Man Who Haunted Himself.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 337
    Well, is Moore really to blame for all of the comedic things in his films? Did he suggest all of that, or is that just what producers decided to add in later?

As an actor, Moore was great. He sold his Bond exactly the way he wanted to, which isn't something other Bonds like Dalton and Brosnan managed to do. Even with the appalling scripts, Moore made the films work. Brosnan couldn't. And like Connery, Moore never seemed like he was trying too hard in a scene.

Sir Roger knew how to keep his audiences entertained, and contrary to what some (and increasingly many) might believe, he managed more roles than just the comedic ones. Just watch any of his 70's movies other than Bond.

Then again, this is coming from somebody who grew up with Moore. It's just a shame to see that people these days just dismiss his films as "too tongue-in-cheek".
    Glad to see some love for The Wild Geese. Love that film. Great cast and Roger is really good alongside Burton and Harris and a stalwart British cast.
    MR always comes in for unfair criticism. I rate it higher than TSWLM, which i find a bit of a bore! Saw a great making of documentary about MR. Especially the part looking at effects genius Derek Meddings! For the scene where the space station breaks up, Meddings took a shotgun and blasted the 20 ft model to bits, and filmed it in slow motion!! Looks great on screen!
    I find Rog far more convincing as Bond in Spy. In MR he's too smarmy and camp.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    And like Connery, Moore never seemed like he was trying too hard in a scene.
    This is the genius of both these men. They never looked like they were acting. Neither did Craig (imho) until SP.

For those who liked the Wild Geese (count me amongst them), I also recommend The Sea Wolves. Similar concept and Moore is incredible alongside other legends Gregory Peck & David Niven. I wish they would hurry up and release this film on Blu ray.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 11,189
    bondjames wrote: »
    And like Connery, Moore never seemed like he was trying too hard in a scene.
    This is the genius of both these men. They never looked like they were acting. Neither did Craig (imho) until SP.

I agree. Despite Moore's terrible hair in his later films, he nearly always seemed naturally confident and self assured. In his later films he has a maturity aswell. I've been thinking about this and talking about it in other fan groups. While Moore's Bond may lack the physicality, you believe him to be a man of the world. Someone who's trustworthy, professional and experienced.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Right, and that's what you want with Bond.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Moore's greatest moment was confronting Loque who is perched on the edge of a cliff in his car...."You left this with Ferrara i believe...."

Moore says the line with cold venom. He's never been meaner, and even kicks the car as it falls!

His confrontation with General Orloff on the train in Octopussy is also a cracking scene.
    I love the way Moore chucks the dove pin into the car before kicking it over. You can really feel his disgust at Loque with that one gesture.
  • Roge's finest moment as Bond.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I love the way Moore chucks the dove pin into the car before kicking it over. You can really feel his disgust at Loque with that one gesture.

Yep. Apparently Moore was uncomfortable with the scene but went ahead anyway. I'm glad because it's one of his best acting moments.
  • People seem to miss Moore killing Grishcka (however you spell it) in Octopussy.
  • People seem to miss Moore killing Grishcka (however you spell it) in Octopussy.

Oh that moment was great. He had quite a few good moments in the Germany section of OP.
    When Moore turns on the 'now you've really gone and ticked me off' look before he kills someone, as in the Loque, Grishka & Stromberg kills, it's priceless. Better than the patented eyebrow raise imho.
    ... yes he can ... go Roger ... go Roger
    "just appeared to be hamming it up"

He was quite convincing in the "SF mayor gets shot" (the fear in his face is not false) scene so I'll have to disagree.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,984
    @bondjames - I'm pretty sure he didn't have that look when he killed Grishka. He was trying to save his own life. But I did like the "and that's for 009!" line that came after.
  • @bondjames - I'm pretty sure he didn't have that look when he killed Grishka. He was trying to save his own life. But I did like the "and that's for 009!" line that came after.

He most certainly did, actually, when delivering that line.
    He had the look after he killed him, not before, but fair enough.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 337
    I think the fact that this thread needs to be made at all is a bit disillusioning, myself. Sir Roger Moore absolutely could act - maybe he was suppressed and cool most of the time, but he was very much the gentleman actor as Cary Grant and David Niven were in he 1940's and 1950's, even the 1960's. He was a very worthy successor to Sean Connery as Bond, and I feel privileged to have seen him on the big screen as a young boy. 40 years on, he remains my favorite of the Bonds and in my most objective perspective, is second only to Connery himself as the best of them all.
    @bondjames - I'm pretty sure he didn't have that look when he killed Grishka. He was trying to save his own life. But I did like the "and that's for 009!" line that came after.
    Yes, my mistake @ForYourEyesOnly. It was still impressive, including the delivery of the line: "And that's for 009!" One of several memorable moments in OP. Moore shows obvious fear just before, as the knives are landing on the door and pinning him in, to anger as he kills Grishka (or was that Mishka)..
    @bondjames - Yes, it's a very good scene.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    FYEO, OP and AVTAK feature non-stop classic Sir Rog moments:

FYEO:
    - looking concerned at the bishop while the helicopter takes off
    - relief when he takes control of the helicopter and gets into open air again
    - checking the map while driving in Spain
    - asking the locals to push the car - in their own language!
    - Identigraph
    - Bond and Melina on the sledge/taxi, asking her to trust him
    - scenes with Countess Lisl
    - Meeting Columbo
    - Attack of the docks - especially when he waves to his allies to congratulate them for killing an enemy just in time
    - Pushing Locque's car
    - the hand wave he makes to Gogol

OP:
    - smiling at the officers while captive in the car (who other than Moore can pull this off?)
    - 'fill her up please'
    - At the auction
    - being such in control of the situation, M smiles at him while he leaves for India
    - Backgammon
    - Q scene
    - dinner scene with Kamal
    - telling a tiger to sit (and succeding!) and a snake to hiss off
    - head poping out of the croco-sub
    - discovering the body of Vijay
    - Germany briefing with M
    - confronting Orlov
    - shooting several soldiers, including a superb headshot
    - killing Grishka
    - bomb defusing

AVTAK:
    - Meeting Aubergine
    - Arrival at the stables with Tibett
    - Party scene where Bond meets Zorin and Sutton
    - steeple chase
    - using the tyre for oxygen under water
    - briefing in San Francisco with Chuck Lee
    - confronting Zorin at the Mayor's office
    - superhero Bond climbing down the ladder with Stacey on his shoulders
    Excellent list @DaltonCraig007. I'll look out for all of these moments when I next watch these (soon!).

I'll add another one, which came to mind as I was discussing his 'comedic timing' on another thread:

-the way he tells the driver "I won't be needing you tonight" before going into Lisl's for a nightcap.
    I feel like Moore and Brosnan's appeal seems to be increasing on these forums, whilst Dalton's seems to be declining - when I first came on here people were slagging off Moore and Brosnan and praising Dalton.
    When was that @tanaka123?
    It must have been around the time Spectre came out I think.