Roger Moore CAN act

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    But I strongly disagree with MR... ;)

Same here. It's Roger's best performance as Bond IMO. Also, the film is charming as hell. I watch MR, it feels like I'm in love. Great fun!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote:

Same here. It's Roger's best performance as Bond IMO. Also, the film is charming as hell. I watch MR, it feels like I'm in love. Great fun!

Glad to see some MR fans !! :)>-
    The most glaring observation about Moonraker is that it keeps one entertained

That's not suggesting it's a good film, merely stating that there is so much to keep the interest, in that the viewer has a hard time getting bored, although It's hardly classic Bond fare and not even in the Top Three of Moore's tenure. It is a fun watch though and gives us in Michael Lonsdale a very good James Bond adversary, but also out there are a fair number of negatives
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,692

Que ?? MR is a masterpiece. #2 in my ranking. MR is an amazing film, a top-notch spy flick ! MR is one of the best action/spy/adventure film ever made, and is up there in my top 50 best films of all time. CR and QOS don't exist next to the greatness of MR.
    DarthDimi wrote:

MR is kind of fun I have to admit but the last time I watched it I found myself squirming

Watching Jaws and Dolly embrace eachother in the space station? Nah ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

MR is kind of fun I have to admit but the last time I watched it I found myself squirming

Watching Jaws and Dolly embrace eachother in the space station? Nah ;)

By that point in the film, all bets were off. I don't think it's out of logic with the rest of the film so I dig it. :)
    #1 Live and Let Die
    #2 The Man with the Golden Gun
    #3 The Spy Who Loved Me
    #4 For Your Eyes Only
    #5 Moonraker
    #6 Octopussy
    #7 View to a Kill

in order of my own favorite Moore 007 releases, although FYEO maybe should be higher as it is a truly epic Bond adventure, but I'm sticking with that
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 12,837
    TSWLM is my favourite moore film, he's having fun and the action is amazing. MR was good too though, and I can get past the whole space thing, but what they did to jaws was stupid. In TSWLM he was big, threatening, scary and had some comedy moments. In MR he was a giant idiot used soley for comedy.
    Spy is another of the Moore ones where it may not be the best Bond release ever, but there is simply so much to get involved in, plus it has Barbara Bach for good measure

I sometimes get bored to tears by some of the later 'action' on the Liparus though :-<
    Was that ever a serious concern, Moore being able to act? Curious notion, that man went through RADA and I daresay the better part of today's actors wouldn't have been able to pass even their selection testing, let alone graduate. Moore does come from a different age and fashion of acting, that much is true. But I suspect few of those criticising Moore's acting or talent would be able to outclass him. It's become fashionable - sadly - to dismiss Moore's performance in general. What's apparently overseen there is Moore depicted his role in a completely different manner than today and that kind of light entertainment is a particularly difficult type that's tough, hard work to accomplish. We shouldn't look down on it just because this has fallen out of fashion with today's audience. At least not as long as none of us - or so I guess - would be able to even come up with a tenth of the performance Moore did.

Here's a few examples:

1. The scene in TMWTGG where Bond first questions Ms. Anders
    2. The scene in Octopussy with Bond & Orlov on the train.
    3. The scene in "The Wild Geese" where you first meet Roger's character--the scene with the drugs.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    This thread is somewhat redundant in my view. Moore is an excellent actor.

1. The Man Who Haunted Himself
    2. North Sea Hijack/Ffolkes
    3. Gold
    4. Sea Wolves
    5. The Wild Geese

Not to mention several pivotal scenes in his Bond performances noted here.

His crime is his refined looks & suave manner leaned him more towards the smooth characters which he could do better than nearly anyone from his immediate generation (a true successor to Grant or Niven). He was typecast because he was just so damn good at those type of roles. They fit him like a glove in an era when he was the 'go to' guy for that type of personification.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Agreed with the OP, not to mention all the cold kills Moore does and his talk with Scaramanga in TMWTGG.
    bondjames wrote: »
    This thread is somewhat redundant in my view. Moore is an excellent actor.

1. The Man Who Haunted Himself
    2. North Sea Hijack/Ffolkes
    3. Gold
    4. Sea Wolves
    5. The Wild Geese

Not to mention several pivotal scenes in his Bond performances noted here.

His crime is his refined looks & suave manner leaned him more towards the smooth characters which he could do better than nearly anyone from his immediate generation (a true successor to Grant or Niven). He was typecast because he was just so damn good at those type of roles. They fit him like a glove in an era when he was the 'go to' guy for that type of personification.

Out of these, I've only seen The Man Who Haunted Himself and Gold, but they were both quite good, and so was Moore's performance in each. I also enjoyed him in The Cannonball Run, although I can't remember too much about that one.

But I'm totally on-board with what you said about suaveness and smoothness.

• I don't think Roger Moore's ACTING was the problem, it was really his athleticism or lack thereof in the fight scenes.
    His fights in TSWLM or AVTAK don't hold up very well today for example...
    Yeah, Moore's fighting was always too robotic. But then, it made for some funny scenes (like his fight with Sandor), so it all keeps in tone with his intended style of Bond in the end.

Apparently he kicked a drunken Lee Marvin's ass during the filming of Shout at the Devil though.

• Yes, it is true apparently that Moore could be a real bruiser in real life. It's a shame that we only really saw glimpses of that in his tenure... Although he did have good fights. Namely, the glass museum fight in MR and yoyo fight in OP.

You can really feel his utter disgust for Loque when he delivers the first line and tosses the dove pin in the car.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Seems like people always point to Moore s serious and dark scenes to make the pont that he can act. All of that is fine, but it is the comedy that is the hardest to pull off for actors. Why sweep those scenes under the rug?
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Because in the case of Rog it's all his shtick.

As good as Roger Moore is I don't think he has the comedic talent of say John Cleese, Peter Sellers or Leslie Nielsen. When it comes to humour Moore will play a variation of the "Roger Moore" persona.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    That's a good point because only Connery could do the humour like Moore could. They had different styles, but each was superb at that aspect. With all the other actors (including the current one) it is contrived imho, except when the current fella is being sarcastic, when it fits his personality and comes across as genuine (SF museum/psych eval. etc.).
  • I don't think that Bond stories are meant to be the out-and-out comedies that Moore played them to me, in my opinion.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2016 Posts: 16,333
    Moore didn't do all out comedies.They are straight forward adventures with a bit more humor thrown in. That doesn't equal out and out comedies.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    The Man Who Haunted Himself is a great movie and Moore puts in a great performance. The guy can act no problem.
  • We'll have to agree to disagree. When a character starts flapping his wings in a film, when a pidgeon does a double-take, that's too comedic in a Bond film, to me. I get that there are those who feel different, and respect that. The Moore films are just too comedic in tone. For me.

To be fair, when he does do the serious stuff in the Bond films, I like it, like the car over the cliff stuff, and I wish his Bond films had more of that aspect in them.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    We'll have to agree to disagree. When a character starts flapping his wings in a film, when a pidgeon does a double-take, that's too comedic in a Bond film, to me. I get that there are those who feel different, and respect that. The Moore films are just too comedic in tone. For me.

What does that have to do with Roger's acting abilities? He wasn't the stuntman flapping his arms or the double taking pigeon.
    Say what you will about that pigeon, and it was a real stupid gag, but it sure could act.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    We'll have to agree to disagree. When a character starts flapping his wings in a film, when a pidgeon does a double-take, that's too comedic in a Bond film, to me. I get that there are those who feel different, and respect that. The Moore films are just too comedic in tone. For me.

What does that have to do with Roger's acting abilities? He wasn't the stuntman flapping his arms or the double taking pigeon.

That's fair. Like I wrote on another thread, there's good stuff like Moore slashing at his tie and the bad guy falls to his death. Is that SWLM? Such a good gag that they homaged it in QoS.
    @TellyBlofeld - Your complaints seem to relate mostly to MR. Perhaps it's that film you don't like as opposed to Moore himself.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 489
    No, it's Moore that is not my favorite. I know he's popular in some circles, but his Bond films were out-and-out comedies in my mind, and some of the worst moments in the series.

Would Fleming himself had liked all that stuff?

No offense intended, Moore-ites.

No offense intended, Moore-ites.

At least you didn t call us Moore-ons.