Roger Moore CAN act

Comments

I think, it all depends a bit on the fact, that we tend to see good acting mostly in serious roles. IMO The Sir is a totally different actor to lets say DC. DC has a sort of humor, but that is completely different to Rogers. Bringing on good, lighthearted humour in his elegant, comvincing way couldn't be done by DC, who is considered the better actor, as Roger couldn't be as convincing in more serious roles. Their talents are just on opposite sides. DC couldn't shine in Rogers Bond and visa versa.
    Baltimore_007 What are you on about ? Moore is the best Bond actor ! Of course he can act ! You should be blessed that this man played Bond SEVEN times. So instead of whining about, please put on a Moore outing in your DVD Player and enjoy the ride ! And repeat after me : Sir Rig is The Master !!

I needed cheering up today! Funniest post I've ever heard! Lashings of sarcasm surely! In RM's defence I will say that the rare scenes where he acted coldly and assassin-like ie with Scaramanga at the dinner table and pushing Locque over the cliff in FYEO were very Bondian but these were exceptions to the rule. I,ve heard good things about a non-Bond role, The Man Who Killed Himself, but not seen it yet. If only he'd retired with more dignity after FYEO or at the absolute latest after OP then his reputation would have been enhanced. I admire your loyalty to the man though sir!

Moore is awesome, on and off screen. I don't think he's a bad actor, its just that his take on the role was more light hearted.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Baltimore_007 What are you on about ? Moore is the best Bond actor ! Of course he can act ! You should be blessed that this man played Bond SEVEN times. So instead of whining about, please put on a Moore outing in your DVD Player and enjoy the ride ! And repeat after me : Sir Rig is The Master !!

I needed cheering up today! Funniest post I've ever heard! Lashings of sarcasm surely! In RM's defence I will say that the rare scenes where he acted coldly and assassin-like ie with Scaramanga at the dinner table and pushing Locque over the cliff in FYEO were very Bondian but these were exceptions to the rule. I,ve heard good things about a non-Bond role, The Man Who Killed Himself, but not seen it yet. If only he'd retired with more dignity after FYEO or at the absolute latest after OP then his reputation would have been enhanced. I admire your loyalty to the man though sir!

He'd dead serious @LeChiffre. @DaltonCraig007 is Sir Roger's biggest fan. Where are you @DC? You need to defend yourself lol.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    A great man. A decent actor.

Agree.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    He can???? who would have thought that

A great man. A decent actor.

Agree.

Sums up my thoughts too.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Moved from General Discussions to 'Actors'
    One other observation: One thing that hurts Roger's reputation as an actor is that he, himself, puts down his acting talent. He has always been among the first to denigrate his talent. He has done that throughout his career, so much so that people perceive him as being a mediocre actor. But, he has done very well on both the small and big screens to the point where he was one of the top TV and later movie stars in the world. You can't stay at the top for as long as he did (spanning 3 decades) unless you have talent.

Lois Maxwell said that Roger is not your typical Hollywood star. He is not swollen headed. Michael Caine said that Roger sees the funny side of himself and thus doesn't take himself too seriously. Caine said that when you think of all the great actors, the one thing they had in common was that they didn't take themselves too seriously. Roger, he said, "is a supreme example of that".
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Ellis wrote:
    One other observation: One thing that hurts Roger's reputation as an actor is that he, himself, puts down his acting talent. He has always been among the first to denigrate his talent. He has done that throughout his career, so much so that people perceive him as being a mediocre actor. But, he has done very well on both the small and big screens to the point where he was one of the top TV and later movie stars in the world. You can't stay at the top for as long as he did (spanning 3 decades) unless you have talent.

Lois Maxwell said that Roger is not your typical Hollywood star. He is not swollen headed. Michael Caine said that Roger sees the funny side of himself and thus doesn't take himself too seriously. Caine said that when you think of all the great actors, the one thing they had in common was that they didn't take themselves too seriously. Roger, he said, "is a supreme example of that".

I think that's why I like him. If I met all 6 Bond actors in person Im pretty sure I'd get along best with Roger Moore. He seems like such geuninely good person who never let the bright lights of Hollywood get the better of him.
    Ellis wrote:

I think that's why I like him. If I met all 6 Bond actors in person Im pretty I'd get along best with Roger Moore. He seems like such geuninely good person who never let the bright lights of Hollywood get the better of I tthhim.

I think we can ALL agree that, out of the six actors, Moore easily seems the nicest and most approachable.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2012 Posts: 12,459

Thank you for being consistent, DaltonCraig007. :) I was expecting no less.
    And I am on board with all of those who say yes - of course - Roger can act. He was a wonderful Bond, spot on in many scenes, and brought a nice (and do remember, very popular) charm to the series
    I always tell people to watch 'North Sea Hijack'. Moore is fantastic in that one ! Ffolkes is one of my all time favorite movie character ! And there's the bad-ass 'The Wild Geese'... I love that film as well !

totally - what i love about North Sea is that Rog is basically playing Sean Connery - gruff bearded chippy type - obv Connery would have sleptwalked the role - but Rog was clearly playing a part :-*
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Unquestionably, Roger Moore can act. As has been said many times (and, indeed, in this very thread) anyone who has seen his performance in The Man Who Haunted Himself and the scene in Spy in which Bond admits to killing XXX's lover can attest to that.

In fact, in his autobiography he admits that as a young actor he turned down a chance to join the Royal Shakespeare Company. Why? For the money, apparently. May well have turned out to be a good decision, given the trajectory his career took in TV and then film a few years later...
    Of course he can, he and Pierce Brosnan tie for the best James Bonds of all time! Roger's Bond movies are some of the best in the business, like TSWLM, FYEO, OP, and AVTAK!
    Someone mentioned The Man Who Haunted Himself and I recommend it to anyone who believes (falsely) that Moore can't act.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Moore didn't often get a chance to exercise his dramatic muscles as Bond, but when he did, he was fine, and usually better than his co-stars.

Oddly enough, I think he does some of his best acting opposite Macnee and Walken in a film I otherwise loathe.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Recently Netflix lets you search by actor instead of by movie. By searching 'Roger Moore' I discovered 'Crossplot' and 'Last Time I saw Paris' (he was only 26 in that one but looked like he was freaking 15!!)
    His acting is just fine, as Bond and outside of Bond.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Of course Roger Moore can act. He's an actor!
    His Bond movies alone are full of very good acting at times, though it seems to go largely un-noticed by the masses, in favour of the likes of Connery, Dalton and Craig.
    Moore is especially good in TWSLM, FYEO and OP, but obviously still wonderful in his four other Bond adventures.
    Outside of Bond, I would suggest, a viewing of three Moore films, to see his true acting talents:

The Man Who Haunted Himself
    North Sea Hijack a.k.a Ffolkes
    The Naked Face.

The latter seems to be either overlooked, are rarely seen. I've always found it to be a genuinely good thriller, with an almost post Bond Moore playing a psychiatrist suspected of murder. It also has a terrific cast with Rod Steiger, Elliot Gould and Anner Archer. Definetly worth watching.
    echo wrote:
    Moore didn't often get a chance to exercise his dramatic muscles as Bond, but when he did, he was fine, and usually better than his co-stars.

Oddly enough, I think he does some of his best acting opposite Macnee and Walken in a film I otherwise loathe.

This

One of my pleasures from a watch of A view to a kill is his camararderie with Tibbett, There are genuine laugh out loud moments actually, especially when they first arrive at the Zorin mansion. They work really well together before Mc Nee has that silly exit in a French car wash

Also as stated, Walken's Zorin and Moore's Bond also work well together, I enjoy the bit when Zorin has him in his office and 'finds his computer indispensable' and finds out who 'James St John Smythe' really is. Not only that but at the outdoor banquet as Vivaldi's Four Seasons plays as they meet for the first time. Add to this when Zorin kills Howe in his office and Moore is there - 'I'm almost speechless with admiration' etc. Yes they were some good scenes with the actors/characters involved

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited March 2012 Posts: 7,571
    Roger Moore can act within his limitations. But the same applies to Robert de Niro.
    Moore could never play a New York gangster convincingly, but then deNiro couldn't play a sophisticated adventurer.
    Horses for courses.
    I think just watching the Bond films Moore did should convince anyone that he is a good actor.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    NicNac wrote:
    Roger Moore can act within his limitations. But the same applies to Robert de Niro.
    Moore could never play a New York gangster convincingly, but then deNiro couldn't play a sophisticated adventurer.
    Horses for courses.

roger-moore-roger-moore-james-bond-demotivational-poster-1286858007.jpg

(Roger Moore) "makes me feel sad for the rest".
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    "ROGER MOORE
    Nobody does it half as good as you."

Because Rog does everything only half good. ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    "ROGER MOORE
    Nobody does it half as good as you."

Because Rog does everything only half good. ;)

Off you go to watch MR !!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

clockwork_orange-treatment.jpg

"Please, for the love of god, make it stop."

That's me when I try to watch CR... I have to self-inflict that to myself in order to not stop the DVD or fall asleep.

That's me when I try to watch CR... I have to self-inflict that to myself in order to not stop the DVD or fall asleep.

Its me when I watch QOS. I hate that film.

I can't say that I disagree with that. GF, MR, AVTAK and both of Craigs films are in my bottom group of films.

18. MR
    19. GF
    20. CR
    21. QOS
    22. AVTAK
    Major, glad to see I'm the only ranking both Craig films in the bottom 3. But I strongly disagree with MR... ;)