Roger Moore CAN act

edited March 2012 in Actors Posts: 1,778
Poor Sir Roger Moore seems to get bashed alot from both film critics and fans alike. He's been parodied on television shows for his lack of acting skills and even had a song named after him called "One Emotion" referencing the constant moving of his eyebrow. With him being the first Bond I was exposed naturally this hurt alittle. I started to believe it and even mentioned Moore in an acting class where where the Prof jumped to Moore's defense. And damn it he was right. Typecasting in Hollywood can be ridiculous. People loved Moore when he played towards the lighter side of things so he stuck to what worked and gave audiences what they wanted. Afterall no one was forcing people to pay to see his Bond films and his outings, adjusted for inflation, were consistently the second highest grossing behind Connery's. Now let us Moore fans unite and provide examples of Sir Roger doing some more serious acting. Feel free to go outside the Bond films.

-Bond explaining to Anya why he had to kill her lover in TSWLM. A very somber scene with a dead-serious delivery by Bond. Moore did an excellent job with this. I don't think Connery, Lazenby, or Brosnan could've pulled it off any better.
-Bond nearly escaping death inside the centrifuge in Moonraker. Say what you will about Moore's Bond being invincible but in this particular scene, Bond seriously looks like he's shit out of luck. Then as Bond escapes and Holly Goodhead tries to help him Moore sort-of nudges her off like an after-though. That's pure Bond coolness being added a very well done scene.
-Bond warning Melina about the possible consequences of her seeking revenge in FYEO. Yes this might have been alittle out of character for the ruthless spy but never-the-less Moore is effective as an experienced professional trying to help this grieving woman.
-Bond forcing himself on Octopussy in her palace in OP. Moore proves that he can pull a Connery and show off some sexual aggression/dominance. Only he doesn't have to beat her up to do it.
-Bond's confrontation with General Orlov on the train in OP. For a Bond who constantly regarded as never being serious Moore is all business here and believable in doing so.
-Bond defusing the Bomb at Octopussy's circus in OP. I won't ignore the pink elephant in the room. Yes, Bond is dressed as a clown. People have a field day with this. But set your minds objectively for a second. Even though he's dressed as a clown it's one of the more serious scenes in a Moore film. It's a very Hitchcockian concept were a man knows there's a bomb hidden in the cannon and tries to warn the people but no one believes him because he's dressed as a clown. Moore looks legitimately scared, concerned, and even desperate at times in this scene.

Comments

• LudsLuds MIA
    No question about it, Roger Moore can act. He's proven in the very few serious scenes he's had to play, among others, slapping Andrea Anders, which may have been out of character for his Bond, but was well acted, to the sequence with Locque's car, to the Moonraker centrifuge scene, that he was capable to act. He has taken a lot of criticism over the years from the Connery fans, and to an extent, they were deserved, his Bond was drastically different, but he carried it on with class and panache which has not been seen since. I really would have loved to see Moore in an entirely serious Bond performance, had FYEO been serious throughout, Moore would have silenced several critics. He may not be the best of actors, but he's far from the worse who's portrayed Bond.
    Moore will forever be seen by some bond enthusiasts as one dimensional and only able to offer some dry quips or poor attempts at humor, any acting capabilities seem to be left out

how many times in his seven movies can you say that he (appeared to) actually took the part seriously, not many if you think about it

I don't want to castigate the man but scenes such as the hot tub/shower scenes in A View To A Kill, the air blimp ride and the Golden Gate bridge finale always leaves me with doubts, and that's just for starters

that movie was his bond swansong and he just appeared to be hamming it up and having a fun of it, Octopussy for the most part too, although For your eyes only was a credible performance, many people see Moonraker as the worst Bond film ever, can't argue that, and well, Moore was lead role in that, the cable car scene in Rio was just cringeworthy, and Jaws becomes a 'good guy' at the end, oh dear

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Whoa, not a fan of Sir Rog? Expect @DaltonCraig007 to come in and save the day :-bd
    my PC's playing up, some messages aren't going through

never said not a fan of Moore, but you can't argue that most of the pictures he was in were as silly as hell, should of quit the role in 1979 after Moonfaker

never had an issue with the man but some bond watchers do think he was their least favorite of all the actors to portray the lead role

I watched half of Live and Let Die the other night and did enjoy what he brought to the part, but as the years went on before he quit it really was approaching amateur night

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i was never one to criticize Moore on his performances... are they at times a little too lighthearted for liking? sure - but he was far from 1 dimensional during his tenure as Bond.. Moore had the ability to be deadly serious when he wanted to be, but was often ever seen for being the Clown Prince of James Bond...

to add to the examples above...

when Bond is found out by Zorin - and Bond tells Zorin that "killing Tibbett was a mistake" - this whole little exchange between Rog and Walken was serious and cold - and really showed Rog's serious side as Bond..

i also really liked Rog calling out Rosie Carver with the Queen Of Cups card - and when she starts "freaking out" - and he coldly cocks his PPK and says "make your choice" - damn! - that is ice cold :)

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    To be honest I'm not much a fan of the Bond films Sir Rog made, as I'm just not into the more lighthearted Bond. However, that says nothing about Sir Rog's acting skills. I think he was/is a fine, if not good actor. Not excellent, but he made that up by increadable coolness. I especially enjoy him in The Saint or The Pursuaders. Those roles were far better for him then Bond.
    And you must be increadbly cool if you play someone who plays you, as he did in one of those gumball films.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I wouldn't call Rog the best actor ever but he certainly proved he was more than capable during his more serious scenes in Bond. I was never a huge fan of the early scenes with Andrea. At times they seemed a little forced ("AND I WANT HIM THEREEE") but that aside he was very good with Old Chris at the end ("I admit killing you would be a pleasure"). The other scenes people mentioned were very good too.

Let's not kid ourselves, Rog is and always will be remembered as gentleman charmer rather than a great actor. Even Rog himself admits that he isn't the best of actors but he's taken a lot of rather harsh criticism over the years.

In terms of more serious acting in other films, I havent seen it but ive heard he's good in The Man Who Haunted Himself. It's a performance which apparently Rog cherishes.
    Of course he can act ...
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    edited August 2011 Posts: 642
    I know all that has been said against AVTAK but the middle of that film really does carry weight in this discussion:
    His reaction to the killing of Tibbet
    The scenes in Howes office
    He does up his game alongside Walken in general.
    Completely agree with those scenes in OP also, it's a pity that the throw away moments overshadow what has always been a great all round experience when watching the era.
    One other scene I could site would be the dinner table with Scaramanga. Great delivery. "when I kill....etc"
    Rog comes from the same stable as Caine. Essentially playing himself but making sure that when it matters he delivers on the serious side.
    We can't blame him too heavily for his scripts although it has to be said that he shows a good ability for comic timing love it or loath it.
    "Quintessential Englishman" to quote Alan Partrdige.
    Love you Sir Rog.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Baltimore_007 What are you on about ? Moore is the best Bond actor ! Of course he can act ! You should be blessed that this man played Bond SEVEN times. So instead of whining about, please put on a Moore outing in your DVD Player and enjoy the ride ! And repeat after me : Sir Rig is The Master !!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 23,527
    I've never understood why people feel that Roger would be a poor actor. He may have jokingly said so himself, but that's not how I feel. Judging from both his Bond and non-Bond work, I find Roger not just to be a fine actor, but to be a versatile one as well.

Summing up his great moments as Bond would take me around 14 hours, if you get what I'm hinting at. But just a minor few examples of moments that I love: lecturing XXX on the risks of the job, removing the clown mask to reveal himself to Octopussy and the American general, working the Indentigraph with Q, ...

Roger was the gentleman Bond, very polished, sweet and charming. But I never read incompetence in his acting. He's no Sean Connery, people say. So? Sean Connery is no Roger Moore! The logic is pretty thin there. Whether you like Roger as Bond or not is a different matter. But Roger being a poor actor is a statement that holds absolutely no truth.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I always tell people to watch 'North Sea Hijack'. Moore is fantastic in that one ! Ffolkes is one of my all time favorite movie character ! And there's the bad-ass 'The Wild Geese'... I love that film as well !
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I agree, DC! Personally, I also like him in Escape to Athena although I know that many people find that to be one of Roger's weaker performances.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    He makes Boat Trip seem far less bad with the few scenes he has onscreen. Then again that's more of a Rog-as-Rog performance - not really "acting".

• Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    'The man who haunted himself' is excellent, great range shown by Roger.
    It's always difficult as we all have such a vested interest in Bond that it is hard to detach ourselves, but TMWHH is definitely a curio I would encourage anyone to check out.

Roger is also not shy from poking fun at himself, jars a bit with Bond but Cannonball Run springs to mind,, there is nothing wrong with acting and having fun with it, its quite refreshing and more personable. Good on ya Rog
    'Boat Trip' is one of the worst movie I ever saw... Appalling stuff. Not even Sir Rog could save it.
    I actually once said to him "you were really good in Boat Trip" and he laughed. I'll blame that on my inner fanboy.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    'The man who haunted himself' is excellent, great range shown by Roger.
    It's always difficult as we all have such a vested interest in Bond that it is hard to detach ourselves, but TMWHH is definitely a curio I would encourage anyone to check out.

Roger is also not shy from poking fun at himself, jars a bit with Bond but Cannonball Run springs to mind,, there is nothing wrong with acting and having fun with it, its quite refreshing and more personable. Good on ya Rog
    That's the one! Cannonball run! Not gumball, that's the real thing. or something. hell, don't matter, he's as cool as a cucumber on coolaid!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Sorry to say this Moore fans.

Roger Moore can act, he's just not very good at it. I find him to be one of the most limited actors I can think of. God knows he's tried to be serious in films, but I can't can't buy him in serious mode.

I have nothing against him as a person, but as an actor, he's about as heavyweight as a souffle.

^ That's me in about... 5 minutes time.
    Well Major, Roger Moore is a better human being than you, me, and even most people on the planet. You should be glad that a man such as Sir Rog has graced us with his presence for the last 83 years. Once he will pass away, the world will much darker, sad and desolated. So instead of whining about Moore being a so-called 'Bad Actor/Bad Bond' (which he isn't, since he's the best), you should enjoy his presence while he is still amongst us. Sir Rog is the ultimate gentleman, and once he will be gone, the world will never be the same again. Moore is the type of wonderful person, amazing individual that only comes once every 100 years. I doubt we will see another amazing person such as Moore in our lifetime. So stop whining, and enjoy his movies, enjoy him as a person, because once he is gone, you will never see such a wonderful person again.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,894
    Guess I was right about the tin hat. Maybe next time, DC, we can do this in the thread that's reserved for only Moore appreciation. Now if you'll excuse me, I must go and wipe all the spit off my hat.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 1,778
    He makes Boat Trip seem far less bad with the few scenes he has onscreen. Then again that's more of a Rog-as-Rog performance - not really "acting".

Gay Cruise or not if someone as cool as Roger Moore sat down next to me I'd just wanna hang out with him for the entire time. No sex though haha.

Sorry to say this Moore fans.

Roger Moore can act, he's just not very good at it. I find him to be one of the most limited actors I can think of. God knows he's tried to be serious in films, but I can't can't buy him in serious mode.

I have nothing against him as a person, but as an actor, he's about as heavyweight as a souffle.

^ That's me in about... 5 minutes time.
    I never said the man was Daniel Day Lewis but he's certainly more capable than ypu give him credit for. The problem is most people have never given his other work a chance. Fans and producers. I guess it was just a case of him being too damn good at what made him famous in the first place.

And DC I agree. Roger Moore is an extreamly kind, generous, cultured, and well-natured man. His countless efforts as a the UNICEF goodwill ambassador have proven that. Plus I've never heard any actors, directors, producers, etc have anything bad to say about him and in a backstabbing self-serving business like Hollywood, full of scumbags, how many people can lay claim to that.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 1,778
    I wanted to bump this thread. Roger Moore doesn't nearly get the credit he deserves for saving the Bond franchise. If it hadn't been for him the series might have faded away and we wouldn't still be getting Bond films today. All hail Sir Rog ^:)^
    Roger Moore is sometimes trashed by Bond fans who felt that his humor and tongue in cheek approach were unnecessary however, he did carry the franchise on his broad shoulders for 7 films and 12 years. Well into his fifties, his films were still making craploads of money.
    It is easy to forget that he had a very successful career before Bond playing on TV (Maverick, The Saint, Ivanhoe) and he did some movies during his Bond tenue.
    We should all drink a pint to Sir Roger.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    "Roger Moore CAN act..."

When he wants to.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 344
    Roger Moore was often cast to play 'Roger Moore' in roles, in the same frustrating way that Marilyn Monroe was nearly always cast to play 'Marilyn Monroe.' That was hardly their fault. They didn't write the scripts. It is the curse and the blessing of being a 'Leading Man' as opposed to a character actor. A 'star' does not necessarily have to be a spectacularly good actor.

Moore was a RADA-trained actor who found a niche, a persona that got him work. He had a screen presence that appealed to the public. His own self-deprecation played up to the 'Moore can't act' stereotype. This didn't seem to bother him one little bit. Why should it? He was working, he was having fun, he was fulfilled in what he was doing. There was nothing pretentious about Moore. Enormously popular with cast and (more tellingly) crew, he brightened up the sets, and the screen.

Of course the man could act. The Man Who Haunted Himself as already stated, was a superb performance, and it is easy to see why it is a favourite of his. Nobody is claiming he was Laurence Olivier, but he was a far more effective technical actor than his fiercest detractors give him credit for. Not that Moore would care. He would be the first to mock his own abilities.

His 'James Bond' was a suave, sophisticated, debonair playboy of an agent, who hated killing, and masked it all with humour, as a self-defence mechanism. This does mean, that when the ice shows through this facade, it is all the more striking and effective. Moore's Bond is just as deadly as all the others. He might kill you with an accompanying quip, but you'd be just as dead.

There's a reason why Roger Moore is the longest reigning James Bond. It's an unsentimental business (as Pierce Brosnan could tell you) and to survive you have to have something really rather special.

Sir Roger Moore is really rather special. A great man. A decent actor.
    Acting on the screen, requires a certain style, most of the big stars are not noted for huge range, Sean Connery, Harrison Ford, Cary Grant etc they all play things in a similar way but they are superb at what they do / did.

As mentioned Roger Moore has played to a certain persona for most of his career and he has made a good career from it, but he has put in great performances in smaller films such as The Man Who Haunted Himself, Naked Face and Bed and Breakfast. He is a decent actor but has always played this down himself.
    And Roger playing an American Jew who thought he was Roger, well that is the ONLY reason for watching The Cannonball Run!
  • I thought the choice to be campy and more fun during Moore's reign as 007 had more to do with the director and producers. When asked to, Moore showed he could be serious.
    RM did a movie in the mid-90s, The Quest. In that movie, there was a scene where Rog was jailed for attempting to steal an ancient treasure. When confronted by Jean Claude Van Damme regarding the attempted theft, Moore delivered one excellent serious performance in that scene. He can act really well, when given good, serious material. It's just that he was seen as a VERY credible semi-funny guy in serious roles. He could deliver the light-hearted lines as well as anyone in his prime. I think producers/directors saw/see that as his major strength. That does not mean he cannot act. The great actors tend to be considered those who do primarily serious roles. But many actors will tell you that it is more difficult to act in a comedic role than a serious one. To have the range to do both is not easy. The fact that one critic referred to his Bond as "the lethal comedian" attests to Moore's range.