Where would you rank SPECTRE? (no spoilers)

Comments

The whole needless back story was really pathetic and the action scenes were so unexciting, one of the dullest films I have ever seen. I think they got too confident in what they were doing assuming what ever film they put out it would be great, a bit like Moonraker after Spy I suppose.

I think QOS may be in need of a re-watch, think it may feel rather fresh after watching Spectre.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    He's just a dull attempt to mix a little Odd Job with a little Jaws with a little Red Grant. He's okay, but nothing sets him apart as unique or memorable. The only moment that I look forward to regarding Hinx is that quick CGI image of his face superimposed on the car during the chase in Rome. No matter how much I mentally prepare myself, that shot startles and frightens me. I like that.

What sets Hinx apart--and above virtually all the rest--is the believability factor. Hinx actually seems like a bona fide menace--unlike cartoon characters Oddjob and Jaws--and a certifiable threat to Bond's existence. He is the most frightening Bond henchman of them all.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Hinx could have and should have been used more effectively than he was. As I mentioned somewhere, he was particularly deadly at the Spectre meeting, but then all menace was removed due to the tepid car chase. The same occured the next time we saw him, in the clinic and car/plane chase where he was ineffective and even knocked out.

I think they should have excluded that car chase (or had someone else chase Bond rather than Hinx) and have him kill a few more people in a row, before getting to the fight which I admit was top notch (if derivative in terms of location on a train).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I thought Hinx was incredibly menacing during the train fight.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think they should have excluded that car chase (or had someone else chase Bond rather than Hinx)

Who? Elvis?
    I think they should have excluded that car chase (or had someone else chase Bond rather than Hinx)
    Who? Elvis?
    Would have been just as exciting honestly, given that the most dangerous thing Hinx does is give Bond a suggestive look as he pulls up next to him at the lights.

The purpose of the chase appeared to be to showcase some nice locations in Rome, act as a Jag/Aston car ad (beauties undoubtedly, both of them) and provide some exposition on plot via MP (the legendary: "Of course! Mr. White!!).

It really didn't need a menacing, murdering henchman in the car.
    That car chase was pure humour, nothing else. And the film needed some of that.
    I agree. That's why Elvis could have pulled it off imho.
    I agree. That's why Elvis could have pulled it off imho.

It could have been Michael G. Wilson for all I care. Still a great scene.
    It could have been Michael G. Wilson for all I care.
    Precisely my point.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I had no problems with the car chase, I quite enjoyed it actually. Apart from the Newman track, which neither added intensity or went along with the humorous nature of the scene. At several times during the film I really wonder if Newman even put any effort in this soundtrack.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited April 2016 Posts: 16,333
    @DaltonCraig007, I have the solution for you. :)

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,694
    @Murdock Brilliant! where did you take the music from? The first video sounds like the 'EoN' game.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thank you, @DaltonCraig007. The first clip uses music from Everything or Nothing and the second uses music from Blood Stone. :D
    Hinx could have and should have been used more effectively than he was. As I mentioned somewhere, he was particularly deadly at the Spectre meeting, but then all menace was removed due to the tepid car chase. The same occured the next time we saw him, in the clinic and car/plane chase where he was ineffective and even knocked out.

I think they should have excluded that car chase (or had someone else chase Bond rather than Hinx) and have him kill a few more people in a row, before getting to the fight which I admit was top notch (if derivative in terms of location on a train).

What would have prevented the removal of menace in the car chase and plane chase? Him killing Bond? Brilliant idea.

Who? Elvis?

Mickey Mouse.

Who? Elvis?
    Would have been just as exciting honestly, given that the most dangerous thing Hinx does is give Bond a suggestive look as he pulls up next to him at the lights.

The purpose of the chase appeared to be to showcase some nice locations in Rome, act as a Jag/Aston car ad (beauties undoubtedly, both of them) and provide some exposition on plot via MP (the legendary: "Of course! Mr. White!!).

You're quite right. When Hinx pulled alongside of Bond he should have thrown a bowler at him or stuck his head out the window and bit a roof strut in two. That's what I call menace.

What would have prevented the removal of menace in the car chase and plane chase? Him killing Bond? Brilliant idea.
    No that's your idea, and 'brilliant' is not quite the words I'd use to describe it.

Who? Elvis?

Mickey Mouse.
    Didn't we already get him in this film? Twice, if you count the CGI mouse.
    Who? Elvis?

You're quite right. When Hinx pulled alongside of Bond he should have thrown a bowler at him or stuck his head out the window and bit a roof strut in two. That's what I call menace.
    Again, not quite what I would have done, but to each their own. Carry on. You're on a roll here.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

the legendary: "Of course! Mr. White!!

:))

Is this line Craig's equivalent of Brozza's 'Knew all about my shoulder'?

No that's your idea, and 'brilliant' is not quite the words I'd use to describe it.

Who? Elvis?

Mickey Mouse.
    Didn't we already get him in this film? Twice, if you count the CGI mouse.
    Who? Elvis?

Again, not quite what I would have done, but to each their own. Carry on. You're on a roll here.

Agreed that they might as well have had Clarkson driving but I don't have a major problem with Hinx driving the car as it doesn't really matter who drives.

The problem with him is he doesn't really do anything. In the meeting scene we are shown a man mountain and a ruthless killer so we know when him and Bond finally go at it it will be epic. And it is.

The trouble is inbetween those two scenes he just drives around harmlessly and does absolutely nothing.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,694
    Without altering anything, just remove the soporific cue from Newman, ask @Murdock to work his magic, or, just do it the 'Ronin' way - full blast sound of the engines that would make the furniture shake around my TV screen.
    The problem with him is he doesn't really do anything. In the meeting scene we are shown a man mountain and a ruthless killer so we know when him and Bond finally go at it it will be epic. And it is.

The trouble is inbetween those two scenes he just drives around harmlessly and does absolutely nothing.
    This is precisely the issue I have with him. They started off introducing him in a disturbing (somewhat cruel) scene and that was brilliant. We were meant to be terrified of him, and it worked. Then they dissipated that build up in the next scene with the 'humour' driven (even according to the scene's fans) car chase, and then the plane sequence where he was just driving around as you note.

Finally, as I said at the start, we had the great train fight, but by then some of that 'fear' that was introduced at the very start had been lost (for me) due to the intervening scenes.

At least with Jaws in TSWLM, we start with Fekkish at the pyramids, then Kalba in the phone booth, then the tense Luxor Temple scene with Anya/Bond (all chilling scenes imho) and only after all of that do we get the comedic dropping of stone on foot. So the buildup helps to establish him for some time as a worthy, credible and deadly adversary before the other shoe drops
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2016 Posts: 10,588

Give me a break. The line is fine.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    jake24 wrote: »

You're joking right?

I thought Naomi Harris's 'It's some sort of sadistic game' would be the worst delivered line of the Craig era but I think Dan might just have sneaked it with that.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

You're joking right?

I thought Naomi Harris's 'It's some sort of sadistic game' would be the worst delivered line of the Craig era but I think Dan might just have sneaked it with that.

Mommy....was....verybad.

THAT'S the worst delivered line of the Craig era if not the franchise itself. Probably a homage to Dr. Evil or mini-me.

You're joking right?

I'm certainly not joking. Neither of those lines bother me in the slightest.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2016 Posts: 17,696
    Kryptonite double post
    chrisisall wrote: »
    None of the above is as bad as "Is Superman giving you any trouble?" :-O

• jake24 wrote: »

You're joking right?

I'm certainly not joking. Neither of those lines bother me in the slightest.

The Mr. White line makes annoys me a little but that's it. I have no problem with the sadistic game line. I have a much bigger problem with Q's 'one piece' joke in SP. That was just juvenile.
    I have a much bigger problem with Q's 'one piece' joke in SP. That was just juvenile.

Dick.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

You're joking right?

Mommy....was....verybad.

THAT'S the worst delivered line of the Craig era if not the franchise itself. Probably a homage to Dr. Evil or mini-me.

The worst line in the franchise is "It was me James, the author of all your pain". It makes me feel secondhand embarrassment.