No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Germanlady wrote: »
    If someone has some inside information, I want to hear it. Why should we wait for an official statement when the information is already known?

Here we go. Aidan Turner is the next Bond.

How does that look, Mendes? Happy now?

It can come every day now. I am happy to make you happy, since you believe in
    "in the know" quotes. Well, I know. Daniel told me. B-)

Well, that is reassuring, at least! I have noticed how Turner has pulled ahead of the pack amongst fans in recent weeks. I would say that it's a three horse race at this point. Either Craig returns, or Turner comes in, or Hiddie. Give me Turner or Craig over Hiddie any day of the week. He is more false in his interviews than Hilary Clinton. He tries way to hard to be appealing, and for me the essential quality of Bond is to look like you don't give a F%£K. Turner nails that, IMO.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @bondjames

A reason for the overall negative tone could be that QOS, SF and SP are all getting a lot of love and a lot of hate. Only CR is overall praised.
    So we have a lot of heated arguments about those three movies.

I said this last Summer (and it got me quite a beating) Craig's tenure is uneven to the degree where it gets annoying.
    He played four different Bonds in four very different Bond movies. In the end I think that is a bad thing.
    Moore re-invented himself in TSWLM, but that was a needed change.
    Dalton, Brosnan and Connery were always playing their Bond the same, with maybe the exception of DAF.

There are many outspoken critics of SF and SP and QOS on this forum, and there are as many die-hard fans of those movies. Something I feel doesn't happen to the other 21 movies, not three in a row I mean.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It must also be noted that Dan and Tom are two very, very different people. Tom very much gets his kicks by keeping busy, but I think Dan really appreciates the flexibility and freedom he has now to stop and rest between projects. He's not the type to go out and give interviews or make massive appearances all over the world like Tom because he's just not built that way. Tom is a very enthusiastic and effervescent person that plays well on camera, and he really enjoys the press tours and all that is involved in the process of making a film and taking it out. Dan on the other hand is extremely private, doesn't live his life in those spotlights and isn't good at playing up a happy face just for the sake of promoting a film. Which is only part of the reason why I think he's so stellar.

Dan feels much more introverted to me, happy to make the films he does but not as keen to go out and answer the same questions from endless waves of reporters all over the world, which I get. Tom is built for that, but Dan isn't. He's very much a classic theater character actor, who just wants to do his job and enjoy that. He isn't trained for then going out and doing the press tours, because his time on the stage never necessitated that as a priority, so it's been a different experience for him than it has been for Tom, who's used to it by now after decades of practice. Despite their differences in personality and approach, however, it doesn't mean that Dan doesn't enjoy his work less than Tommy Boy. He loves it, it's just the promotional stuff he doesn't enjoy, which again, is perfectly understandable if you understand the kind of man he is.

Now listen, we can compare the two all day, but the truth remains that they are two different people with two very different personalities that make any such comparisons rather daft. And, lest we forget, Hunt has his appeal, but Bond is Bond and the game is different.

But people will still feel free to go on about how much less Dan is working than other people in the industry, as if they are his assistant and have dinner with him every Friday night. But of course, isn't it the very nature of keyboard warriors to spend all their time sharpening their pitchforks just so they can prod us all with them for lack of a higher purpose?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    With SP, however, I feel Craig's different portrayal in each of his films, was an evolution. So, in that regard, I feel it's fine to have the character arc for the Craig films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I said this last Summer (and it got me quite a beating) Craig's tenure is uneven to the degree where it gets annoying.
    He played four different Bonds in four very different Bond movies. In the end I think that is a bad thing.
    Dalton, Brosnan and Connery were always playing their Bond the same, with maybe the exception of DAF.

There are many outspoken critics of SF and SP and QOS on this forum, and there are as many die-hard fans of those movies. Something I feel doesn't happen to the other 21 movies, not three in a row I mean.
    These are very good points @BondJasonBond006. I never thought about it this way. Craig's tenure has indeed been a little more 'artsy' if I dare say. Each film has its own 'flavour', and some like one over the other.

I somehow think this is what he wanted, as this is the kind of actor he seems to be. One can't fault the variation in output.

That's one reason why I personally believe he may be done with this. He's pretty much given us every kind of Bond film in the four he's done. I don't see where he goes from here without repeating himself creatively.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @bondjames

A reason for the overall negative tone could be that QOS, SF and SP are all getting a lot of love and a lot of hate. Only CR is overall praised.
    So we have a lot of heated arguments about those three movies.

I think that's called character development, my dear @BondJasonBond006. ;)

A new concept in the Bond films when the Craig era came around, so I can understand why it may feel jarring to some. For me, CR, QoS, SF and SP chart a deep and enthralling evolution of a man from his rookie days to his veteran years, along with all the pains and pleasures he experienced therein that molded him into the agent we have now. That aspect of this era has set it above any of the others for me.
    Good points in both answers above.

Thinking about it, I never wanted Bond to be a character that has to get developed. If I want character development galore I watch Star Trek Deep Space Nine.
    In an action/thriller franchise with stand alone movies I don't need it, especially since the same character gets played by different actors approx. each decade.

I also have to say that I don't buy the "character development" of Bond in Skyfall at all.

Thinking about it, I never wanted Bond to be a character that has to get developed. If I want character development galore I watch Star Trek Deep Space Nine.
    In an action/thriller franchise with stand alone movies I don't need it, especially since the same character gets played by different actors approx. each decade.

I also have to say that I don't buy the "character development" of Bond in Skyfall at all.

Someone finally said it. =D>

Wait till your Turner is doing the same :))

Btw, how old are you. Seriously. Over 12?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    You need some characterisation for too reasons. 1. To create Flemings character on screen. 2. Because today's audience are more sophisticated generally and characterisation creates 'buy in' and empathy.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,483
    Today's audience are [sic] more sophisticated? Bwaaah! You could fool me with all the cell-phone brandishing louts, and juvenile 30-somethings that prowl the cinema these days.

I wish I were 12. Innocent times.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

12 and a half, then?
    Haha, I enjoy a good roasting. If you can't laugh at yourself, that's what I always say.

I wish I were 16. Not so innocent times, rather naughty times :D

Naughty? Well, weve all stolen penny sweets from the local corner shop, but I never engaged in criminal activity.

Naughty? Well, weve all stolen penny sweets from the local corner shop, but I never engaged in criminal activity.

Nah. I meant womanising :D
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,159

Nah. I meant womanising :D

Really, at that age? Bravo, sir. =D>

Grass on the wicket, and so on...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

As Adam Johnson said.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,159

As Adam Johnson said.

Adam Johnson was a footballer, not a cricketer.
  • To the people pming me for my source, I'm afraid I have deals with certain people in the know, and like Kristartos, I never go back on a deal. It would be bad for my reputation.

But remember you heard it here first, Craig is going.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Comedy is hard.
    wt4ut.jpg
    I cant see any other way the next one would work without Craig & Waltz returning. A reboot/recast would undermine everything they have set up with Spectre, especially with them getting the rights back.

When Greg Wilson came out & said they are toying with ideas for the next film this gives us an idea were not headed into reboot territory or another loosely plotted more thematic film such as Skyfall.

I think its coming down to Barbara trying to put something new together that will get Craig to come back for one more.
  • Says the guy whose listed favourite Bond is Brosnan. I assume that is meant to be a joke.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Says the guy whose listed favourite Bond is Brosnan. I assume that is meant to be a joke.

Oh boy another Brosnan Basher, you're a dime a dozen. 8-|
    Nearly every time someone has some "Inside Source" behind the scenes it always turns out to be 100% horse$***
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @Scaramanga12 works for The Sun.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    jake24 wrote: »
    @Scaramanga12 works for The Sun.

Well that seals it then - must be bullshit.

To the people pming me for my source, I'm afraid I have deals with certain people in the know, and like Kristartos, I never go back on a deal. It would be bad for my reputation.

But remember you heard it here first, Craig is going.

You can't hurt what you've never had, mate. We all appreciate your weak attempts to entertain us during this rather dry spell of Bond news, but I'd suggest getting out while you're already behind.
    ya scar your poor attempts at trolling are laughable.You should just go home and rethink your life.
    Who does scaramanga say will be bond number 7 surely he should know after all...

in all seriousness until I see an official release from EON Craig is still bond for at least 1 more film but as for me I would prefer two more. But then again I am in the Tom Hardy/ Tom Hiddleston camp for 007 So who knows