Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Give Hiddleston a martini, not Bond. Soft, soft, soft.
  • RC7RC7
    Give Hiddleston a martini, not Bond. Soft, soft, soft.

You've written 'soft' so many times in the last few weeks, I'm inclined to believe you work in erectile dysfunction. 'I DON'T WANT SOFT!'

http://www.laineygossip.com/Tom-Hiddleston-yodels-and-talks-about-possibly-playing-James-Bond-on-Kimmel-while-promoting-I-Saw-The-Light/43413

This might not be untrue. He is trying too hard. Looks likehe will do everything you want in front of a camera...that could backfire.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yes indeed, @Germanlady is quite right about that. Eon won't play those games. He's shooting himself in the foot.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Much like Julian McMahon did.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Seems like Aidan turner is the new Idris Elba in terms of press speculation. Could he really be the next 007? Let's wait and see.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, I agree that Hiddles comes across a little too keen to please in every interview and event I've seen him in. If he is to take Bond he will obviously have to be briefed to tone it down and act the part.

However, there is something quite refreshing about someone who isn't always so damn sarcastic when talking to people. A little bit of that is fine now and then but it too can get tiresome.

He's deflected Bond nicely enough when asked, but much as I would like it to be him, somehow I get the feeling it isn't. Turner's behaviour when asked seems more telling. I get the impression Turner has at least had discussions on Bond with Broccoli, while Hiddle seems like he has not.
    Seems like Aidan turner is the new Idris Elba in terms of press speculation. Could he really be the next 007? Let's wait and see.

LOL, you should make an attempt to be his PR machinery. You are doing nicely, if a bit over the top ;)

It a bit like - if you say it often enough, its gonna happen. Maybe so...he certainly fits the dark image after the blond Bond. Apart from that - hm, not so sure. But then, I don't want the next guy to be more successful then the one, we have now, so he is fine. B-)
    edited March 2016 Posts: 8,087
    Germanlady wrote: »

LOL, you should make an attempt to be his PR machinery. You are doing nicely, if a bit over the top ;)

It a bit like - if you say it often enough, its gonna happen. Maybe so...he certainly fits the dark image after the blond Bond. Apart from that - hm, not so sure. But then, I don't want the next guy to be more successful then the one, we have now, so he is fine. B-)

Haha, you are very kind @Germanlady

I also think Turner would have great chemistry with the current mi6 crew, were they to return in B25. We would be back to having a Bond that is younger than Q again! :)>-
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I agree with what has already been stated. between Disney/Marvel and DC alone, the talent pool is going to be stressed. If EON has someone in mind, it would be prudent to lock that person in, even if Craig is going to do one more.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Turner and Hiddleston are my choices of candidates to succeed Craig, and I'm growing less confident that he'll return.
    My gut feeling is EON would prefer Turner over Hiddleston. I think Barbara Broccoli would see Turner as more macho than Hiddleston. I suppose Hiddles could baulk up and they could use a stuntman for most of his action scenes...

:-j
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,130
    Non of these two convince me. Ive seen a bitt poldark and The night Manager on youtube and they are great actors who do have charm but I don't know to much character actors for Bond.

They are good looking in a Daniel Day Lewis, Ralph Fiennes kind of way Like more suited to be leading man in oscar Period pieces or deep dramas than a James Bond FIlm.
    James Bond has to look like Pierce Brosnan or Brad Pitt in their prime and Tom Hidleston or Aidan Turner Don't have the James Bond look.

Talent is important but in the case of bond is better to look the part.
    Connery I don't know what it is but he definitely looked the part Craig even though he started a bitt of a thug he looks the part but these two favorites of the fans dont look like James Bond
    Szonana wrote: »
    Non of these two convince me. Ive seen a bitt poldark and The night Manager on youtube and they are great actors who do have charm but I don't know to much character actors for Bond.

They are good looking in a Daniel Day Lewis, Ralph Fiennes kind of way Like more suited to be leading man in oscar Period pieces or deep dramas than a James Bond FIlm.
    James Bond has to look like Pierce Brosnan or Brad Pitt in their prime and Tom Hidleston or Aidan Turner Don't have the James Bond look.

Connery I don't know what it is but he definitely looked the part Craig even though he started a bitt of a thug he looks the part but these two favorites of the fans dont look like James Bond

I would argue that Dalton falls into that category, and he made a great Bond in my book.
    Come on. Surely it's about more than looks. I thought Bond was meant to be interesting looking, in a cruel way, & not a male model.

I'd personally prefer an actor who can convey menace and darkness over one who is overly handsome in a conventional sense.

The man who could have done it all (imho) was cast 11 years ago as Bruce Wayne/Bat.
  • Szonana wrote: »

No there's no requirement for Bond to be ultra handsome or a 'hunk' you might say. I don't like the look of hiddleston or Turner. Hiddleston is too feminine like Brosnan. Turner would be a poor man's Craig - his acting range is poor. He can play brooding ..but that's it. I say just call auditions and get a non actor if need be like Lazenby. Get someone to teach them to be Bond like Terrence Young did for Sean.
    When I close my eyes and think of James Bond as Fleming wrote him, I see Aidan Turner. For me, he personifies the Bond character better than any other Bond actor. He IS James Bond. That's just my opinion.
  • I've seen him in poldark and 10 little n*ggers and all he did was brood and shout. I can see how he would play Bond. He is quite short and has no physical presence. Not believable in fights.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 5,185
    When I close my eyes and think of James Bond as Fleming wrote him, I see Aidan Turner. For me, he personifies the Bond character better than any other Bond actor. He IS James Bond. That's just my opinion.

Same here, i don't care who is 'the hottest actor' right now, or who may look cool in fights and all this stuff. When i look at Aiden i see Flemings Bond, more so than with any other guy. Thats all i need. And judging from his role in 'and then there were none' he has the right kind of charisma too, or at least can play it. But of course we all have different opinions of how the character of Bond should be portrayed as well
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

I would argue that Dalton falls into that category, and he made a great Bond in my book.

Yes i agree with Dalton he did have the Bond Looks.
    Definitely

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »
    Come on. Surely it's about more than looks. I thought Bond was meant to be interesting looking, in a cruel way, & not a male model.

I'd personally prefer an actor who can convey menace and darkness over one who is overly handsome in a conventional sense.

The man who could have done it all (imho) was cast 11 years ago as Bruce Wayne/Bat.

Well yes there is more than looks but the looks are a 50% to me in how much i care, maybe im wrong but being highly attracted to the actor who plays bond has some important weight in my bond ranking.

Maybe its shallow but if the Bond actor doeskin attract me its a big deal to me, now things could change in the attractiveness department when i fisrt saw Craig I thought this guy just doesn't sell sex appeal to me but with time he did and now he is in my top 3 Bonds in performance and attractivness.

But I can't see myself being sold into Hidleston or Turner. They are quite attractive but not swoon worthy.

edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Maybe its shallow but if the Bond actor doeskin attract me its a big deal to me, now things could change in the attractiveness department when i fisrt saw Craig I thought this guy just doesn't sell sex appeal to me but with time he did and now he is in my top 3 Bonds in performance and attractivness.

But I can't see myself being sold into Hidleston or Turner. They are quite attractive but not swoon worthy.
    I can understand your view. I feel the same way about 'Bond girls' (very picky) so perhaps I too am guilty of a level of shallowness.

Although I wouldn't want to presume anything, I think it's possible Hiddles can potentially turn your view around, like Craig seems to have done. He does have a global swooning fan base of women after all. Turner I'm not all that familiar with.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

Wait until you see them in their first Bond movie, in character and all ;)
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

I can understand your view. I feel the same way about 'Bond girls' (very picky) so perhaps I too am guilty of a level of shallowness.

Although I wouldn't want to presume anything, I think it's possible Hiddles can potentially turn your view around, like Craig seems to have done. He does have a global swooning fan base of women after all. Turner I'm not all that familiar with.

I don't think so, maybe if I wouldn't have never seen him( Hidleston) before but now knowing hwo is him and still not convinced I doubt it will ever happen.

I know he has many female fans who are crazy about him. But now speaking independently who is cast as Bond My type of actors i find attractive is the classic obvious good looks like again : Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery, Brad Pitt, Chris Hemsworth, Henry Cavil, Eric Bana and Sam Clafin who played Finnick oddair in the hunger game and swoon will be seen in the leading roke in the romantic film me before you

Funny how all these actors come out of the woodworks to say how much they love Bond just as it looks like Craig won't be returning. Like vultures circling a dying lion. Seems like Turner is the only one paying Daniel his respects before he takes his place.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He may know, loose lips sink ships.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    So if cavil wants it i want him to play Bond as well, he would make a great Bond and it would be complete departure from Craig and i think that change is needed.

Hiddles "global swooning fan base" is a few 100 posters to the Daily Mail and a few other sites who like their actors sweet and nonthreatening, which is exactly what Bond is not. Yeah, he can act, but in interviews as others have noted he comes off as a soft, sweet, over eager puppy dog. Masculine is the last word I'd use to describe him in interviews. Acting Bond is only 50% of the deal, the other 50% of the job requires thousands of in-person interviews. Tons of gym work and counseling to toughen him up for interviews ain't going to change him much in interviews. Also Bond doesn't need to be a pretty boy (Craig sure wasn't), but Hiddles is downright homely. Like Elba he'll yak about it endlessly for self promotion, but I'd be amazed if EON goes for someone this slight.

• RC7RC7
    Funny how all these actors come out of the woodworks to say how much they love Bond just as it looks like Craig won't be returning. Like vultures circling a dying lion. Seems like Turner is the only one paying Daniel his respects before he takes his place.

Come out of the woodwork? They're not pitching for the gig, they're actors who are doing high profile work and thus asked about it, constantly. Elba and, right now, Hiddleston, are hot property. They're batting off interviews left, right and centre so it makes sense people are bombarding them with the 007 questions. Turner is nowhere near as high profile, hence his general absence from discussion.