SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• vzok wrote: »
    It just needs another week like this one to cross the $200m mark.

Considering it is out on blu ray I find the longevity surprising. I'm impressed with those still making the effort to go see it.

The longevity is strictly a Sony decision. Skyfall was making more money per screen and was on more screens when it ended its run at the end of February 2013. SPECTRE has been out for *three weeks longer* than Skyfall was. For whatever reason (contractual obligation, professional pride, whatever), Sony is keeping it out long enough to cross the $200 million mark.

• Addenum: It's on *16 screens* this weekend. That's barely in release. If there isn't a contractual obligation for $200 million, Sony's costs have been in excess of whatever they're getting from the past three weeks.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 389
    Addenum: It's on *16 screens* this weekend. That's barely in release. If there isn't a contractual obligation for $200 million, Sony's costs have been in excess of whatever they're getting from the past three weeks.
    The movie is in less than 100 theatres, so I am sure they are not spending very much. I assume Sony prefers to have a 200 million film than a 199.7 million film, even if the actual income is exactly the same. I addition, broadcasting rights of SP may be more valuable, if it gets that milestone.
    Finally, the box office figures for "SPECTRE" look a bit more....rounded :-P. At least in this way it looks a bit nicer:

2015 Global Box Office:
    Kge5n3z.jpg

All Time Global Box Office (ranked on foreign gross):
    KDRS0Kf.jpg
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Spectre would have reached the 1.1 billion IF in the US it had made 300 million and the currency situation was the same as in 2012.

As it stands it is now the 3rd most successful Bond movie ever after TB and SF.

CONGRATULATIONS EON, YOU WERE DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, Congratulations =D>
    Well the figure is rounded (up). Still not at $200m per Box Office Mojo.

But congratulations anyway
    vzok wrote: »
    Well the figure is rounded (up). Still not at $200m per Box Office Mojo.

But congratulations anyway

It still looks cool eh :-P?
  • $199,959,126 through Tuesday.
    Should break 200 by next Monday! Go SP!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Almost took them half a year to do it but...yay.
  • SPECTRE in theaters for another week. Screen count starting today is down to nine, from 16 the week before.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I don't think it gonna break 200m ...close enough. :)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    All this obsession with size.

190mm are enough, who needs 200 :))
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 389
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I don't think it gonna break 200m ...close enough. :)
    SP has made over $60,000 during the last 7 days and its Box Office is $199,967,111. I believe it is going to cross 200 million this week or the next.
    All this obsession with size.

190mm are enough, who needs 200 :))

You gotta know how to work ya boxoffice...
  • $3,000 Friday in nine theaters.

$199,970,111

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/
    $3,000 Friday in nine theaters.

$199,970,111

Yea but doubt any theaters after Thursday. It's almost $30,000 down.
  • mcdonbb wrote: »
    $3,000 Friday in nine theaters.

$199,970,111

Yea but doubt any theaters after Thursday. It's almost $30,000 down.
    It would be very stupid not keeping the movie in some theatres at least one more week. On Thursday, SP will be about 20.000 dollars under $ 200 million, even I can afford that amount... ;) I do believe the movie will be running until that milestone, the question is when is it going to happen?
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,115
    Projected to pass $200 million by the end of today (March 20)

http://bit.ly/1Lz1hJv

Box Office Mojo weekend chart:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
    Now saying $200,002,111
  • kultschar wrote: »
    Now saying $200,002,111
    Yes, that's the estimate, including today's showings.
    Yep, looks like we crossed the 200 million threshold. Pretty surprisingly actually since a couple months ago it looked like it was basically finished. Those two big weekend pushes where it jumped in theater counts really helped.

35K in it's 20th week is pretty astounding to me, especially for only 9 theaters. Assuming about $12 per ticket, that's roughly 325 people per theater for the weekend...in the movie's 20th week when it's already out on bluray/digital.

Still, congrats to SP for rounding out it's stateside figure. Here's to hoping bond 25 can easily best it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Is this still in theaters simply so it could hit $200,000,000 domestically? Can't say I've personally seen a movie play so long after its home video release. Either way, congratulations!
    I've got to say that I'm glad it hit 200 million but think Sony have added something to the gross so it could make 200 million for them. I mean boxofficemojo where saying the estimate on Friday was 3000 thousand and now the estimate for Friday is 12000? That's 9000 thousand different from Friday? Anyhow it looks better on the final tally so I don't care how it was done.
    I've been following film box office figures for some 20 years now, and i can generally guess what a films final box office will be, but i must admit the tail end performance of SP in its final weeks in the North American market has been all over the place.
    One week its takings would be dire, followed by a stronger performance the following week, and that wasn't due to theatre increases. In fact SP did pretty poorly when the studio gave the film a theatre increase, recently.
    I did think that a few days ago when the theatre count was down to a mere 9 cinemas in the entire USA & Canada region that the film would just fall short of the $200 mil mark.
    All i can guess is that many die hard Bond fans must of made some really lengthy journeys just to be able to see the film for a final time.
    When all is said and done though, SP's performance in North America was below par (attendance wise), in comparison to recent other Bond flicks, but the fact that the film reached $200 mil, from a financial point of view gives the film makers a better ground to stand on from a negotiating point of view, while they are looking for a new studio to take the film franchise forward.
    According to boxofficemojo spectre has been solely in drive through cinemas only for th last two weeks, so this could explain the sudden jump in performance, as it's a different way of seeing the film in your car!
  • jamesdut wrote: »
    I've got to say that I'm glad it hit 200 million but think Sony have added something to the gross so it could make 200 million for them. I mean boxofficemojo where saying the estimate on Friday was 3000 thousand and now the estimate for Friday is 12000? That's 9000 thousand different from Friday? Anyhow it looks better on the final tally so I don't care how it was done.

I noticed that also. I don't know if Box Office Mojo made a mistake yesterday, or got revised information from Sony today.
    jamesdut wrote: »

I noticed that also. I don't know if Box Office Mojo made a mistake yesterday, or got revised information from Sony today.

Yes, i noticed the big change in the gross estimate for SP for Friday.

Something a bit fishy here? Maybe Sony executives themselves all went to see SP this weekend in North America, to tip the film over $200 mil.

Yeah, 200! What a great birthday present today. :P