Interbellum 2.0: The middle-class destruction & rise of neo-nationalism and xenophobia in the West

I think we all have to agree that we are witnessing a 2nd Interbellum. Why do I use this word? As we all know, with the 'Interbellum' historians are referring to the era that started at the end of World War 1 (1918) until the start of World War 2 (1940). Until 1929 the 'classic Western' countries slowly improved from an era of impoverishment. Stable democracies were gaining ground in many nations across Europe. Combined with an improving, but fragile, economy that shot its roots in the USA, the Western world enjoyed a relatively peaceful and prosperous decade.

We all know what happened after 1929. The stock crash in the USA got the better of us. Combined with a very fragile Weimarer Republic (now Germany) full of nationalist resentment it gave birth to a period that has become one of the darkest chapters in human history (1930-1946). Historians agree that humans on the whole, from small consumers and normal middle-class people to the elite set of politicians and company directors, were to blaim for this. A disjointed short-term, xenophobic vision on politics combined with the inability to think long-term, resulted in World War 2.

Ladies and gentlemen? I think we have arrived at the dawn of a 2nd 'Interbellum'. One that could prove itself even more destructive than the 1st one. Why more destructive? It is happening more slowly, without a clear World War at the base of this Interbellum. Though I think 9/11 could be seen as the tipping point of the downfall of Western democracy and with it its peace and prosperity. Still, due to its relative slow pace, this new Interbellum causes the rise of xenophobia and neo-nationalism, the loss of self-criticism and internationalism, and the destruction of the middle-class to gain a much firmer foothold in our day-to-day lives. The new kind of xenophobia and nationalism is smarter, sneakier and gains better control in our western democracies. And that's dangerous.

I think we already see it happening as we speak. You only need to look at politics in the 'classic West'. The United States, Netherlands, Sweden, United Kingdom, Hungary, Denmark, Greece, France, Germany, Poland. With some exceptions (Canada for instance) the rise of ultra-nationalism and xenophobic populism is firmly on the rise. Geert Wilders (anti-Muslim populist party PVV, Netherlands), Frauke Petry (anti-immigrant party Alternative fur Deutschland, but also Pegida), Donald Trump (United States), Nigel Farrage (anti-EU party UKIP and others), Marine Le Pen (anti-Muslim party Front National), Viktor Orban (PM of Hungary), Kristian Thulesen Dahl (Danish People's Party) are only a few examples.

The leaders of these parties are not racists when dissecting the very definition of 'racist'. On the contrary. But they do appeal to sentiments in society that are slowly, yet effectively, creating a new kind of fascism. One that is more 'grey' and more 'opaque' than its counterparts from the first Interbellum (1918-1945). One that takes the time to fully develop, as compared to real racism and facism from the first Interbellum era.

And that's perhaps the most dangerous development we have witnessed since the 1940's. It's a development we need to be fully aware of. Otherwise.........I wouldn't like to predict our future.

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2016 Posts: 7,967
    More importantly, what is wrong with any of this? Unless you think it is 'about time' we had a black bond?
    More importantly, what is wrong with any of this. Unless you think it is 'about time' we had a black bond?

Are you really asking this question?

More importantly, what is wrong with any of this. Unless you think it is 'about time' we had a black bond?

I don't understand what you are saying here. The system is faulty? People are brainwashed? What is it? Should people be made to feel a certain way toward a group of people? I don't get it.

I don't understand what you are saying here. The system is faulty? People are brainwashed? What is it? Should people be made to feel a certain way toward a group of people? I don't get it.

I think we have to be much more self-aware of our own actions. Start finger-pointing at ourselves first before we blaim others. We need to have a firm understanding of what we do if we elect people like Donald Trump or Geert Wilders. Yes, they can be seen as shake-ups or warnings for the political establishment. But warnings or shake-ups in itself never give real solutions. We need to address our own actions if we put a signature under a mortgage contract, mobile phone contract or other 'wonderful payment plan'. We need to rent a house if we can't buy one. Not buy a house if we can't buy one. Those are the actions I am talking about.

I think we have to be much more self-aware of our own actions. Start finger-pointing at ourselves first before we blaim others. We need to have a firm understanding of what we do if we elect people like Donald Trump or Geert Wilders. Yes, they can be seen as shake-ups or warnings for the political establishment. But warnings or shake-ups in itself never give real solutions. We need to address our own actions if we put a signature under a mortgage contract, mobile phone contract or other 'wonderful payment plan'. We need to rent a house if we can't buy one. Not buy a house if we can't buy one. Those are the actions I am talking about.

OK, but what does that have to do with the 'neo-nationalism' and 'xenophobia' in the title?

OK, but what does that have to do with the 'neo-nationalism' and 'xenophobia' in the title?

Eeeverythinggg
  • What do you expect of people when mass immigration policies have been perpetrated in their countries without any regard for the consequences and against the wishes of the people?

The 'mainstream politicians' are not saying 'sorry we made a mistake, we're going to stop mass immigration'. Instead they just carry on with their cultural suicide policies and smears anyone who disagrees as racist. The likes of Wilders are offering solutions to real problems which the mainstream doesn't even acknowledge. Look at what Merkel did with the illegal migrants. Who is on the side of the women who were attacked? Certainly not the 'respectable mainstream'. Merkel cared more about her humanitarian image, and those women suffered for her vanity.
    This is all a bit of a non-issue as far as I can see.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Another political topic that touches on race. Let's see how long before this one gets closed.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    =))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    In Germany as of last Sunday, the new political party AfD (Alternative for Germany) is now in 8 of 16 federal states in the government. In some with two digits shares of the vote up to 23%.
    The AfD is viewed as far-right-conservative. (Tea-Party, neoliberal with a touch of xenophobia).
    Next year Germany will hold general elections. The AfD will undoubtably trigger a political earthquake unlike anything we have seen in our lifetime.
    Meanwhile Angela Merkel does NOTHING. She's holding on to welcoming all refugees and we are talking 7 digit numbers.

Personally I can't blame the people for becoming xenophobic or better said, being afraid of the future when millions of refugees can come to Europe.
    This combined with the neoliberalism that slowly destroys the social structures of Europe will ultimately lead to very, very bad things. Be it civil war in the middle of Europe or simply the bleeding out of the middle class while the rich get richer and richer.

Look at the leaders that brought us here: Cameron, Merkel, Berlusconi, Sarkozy.
    And now people like Orban, Erdogan and Putin can do whatever they want.
    The European Union just has silently accepted that Erdogan buried the freedom of speech in Turkey. Turkey is too important for them in the current refugee situation.

About everything is going the wrong way in Europe. Compared to this a possible President Trump seems like a walk in the park to be honest.

The political system and especially the finance system slowly destroy the foundations of democracy.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I think what we're seeing is a perfect storm of weak leadership in the west coupled with the culmination of the liberal elite thinking they know better.

The rudderless EU and spineless clowns like Cameron have finally run aground on the rocks of their own conceit.

It's very easy living in their Islington castles with their Porsche Cayennes, private schools and dinner parties to dismiss the concerns of the working man as being racist. I wonder how long it would take them to change their tune if a load of Romanian asylum seekers moved into their street and they saw their house price starting to plummet?

The average Englishman, German or American is not a racist. Nor do they particularly want to vote for people like Donald Trump or Nigel Farage. But they are left with no choice because the people in power just ignore their views and impose their own propaganda onto society and society has had enough of being ignored so they are siding with people who are saying what they want to hear because politicians no longer represent them.
    Take the worst of them all - Mad Mullah Merkel - the sheer arrogance of the woman in knowing what is best for the whole continent is staggering.

There needs to be a cleansing of the Augean stables of all these vacuous career politicians who have never had a job in the real world and have no concept of the struggles facing real people. If extreme measures like Trump getting in and the UK leaving the EU are what's needed to do wash these people into the gutters of history then so be it.

Worrying times ahead to be sure but it is always darkest before the dawn.
    The average Englishman, German or American is not a racist. Nor do they particularly want to vote for people like Donald Trump or Nigel Farage. But they are left with no choice because the people in power just ignore their views and impose their own propaganda onto society and society has had enough of being ignored so they are siding with people who are saying what they want to hear because politicians no longer represent them.

Exactly my point. If the Leaders would simply listen to the concerns of the people, we wouldn't see these far-right Parties get the support that they do.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 11,119
    People don't read what I'm saying:
    The leaders of these parties are NOTTTT racists when dissecting the very definition of 'racist'. On the contrary. But they do appeal to sentiments in society that are slowly, yet effectively, creating a new kind of fascism. a fascism that is more 'grey' and more 'opaque' than its counterparts from the first Interbellum (1918-1945). One that takes the time to fully develop, as compared to real racism and facism from the first Interbellum era.

• What do you class as fascist? Do you think an anti immigration stance is fascist?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The common citizen sees migration, refugees, his job in danger or he/she has already lost it, or has to work for far less money. Refugees and immigrants get more welfare and faster than the natives. Companies want to hire foreigners because they are much cheaper, or they sack the natives to replace them with foreigners, or they even close down the factory to built it in Poland or elsewhere in the East.
    Immigrants don't learn the language spoken in the country, and/or they impose their religion on the natives. They don't adapt.
    In schools classes are made of 60% foreigners in big cities, the native language is in the minority, on the schoolyard you hear all languages but not your own.

That sums it up what people in the middle of Europe are thinking/experiencing.
    The politicians from left to liberal to conservatives don't give a damn. The left work the social industry where they make big money, the liberals (in reality neoliberals) reallocate the wealth of the middle class to the upper class, the conservatives are either neoliberals as well or they are rich entrepreneurs who give a f***.

The whole political system is now the same as the financial system, an insular construct that functions under their own rules and are bleeding out the normal citizens.
    Every 4 years the citizens can vote so they get the impression democracy is working.
    What do you class as fascist? Do you think an anti immigration stance is fascist?

No. And again. You are not READING. I meant to say that anti-immigration policies can eventually lead to fascism and racism. I did NOT say that anti-immigration = fascism.

Look, I try to turn it the other way around. Racists do exist in today's society no? Just hear the KKK Grand Dragon leader today (endorsing Clinton...pa-the-tic. Smart way of distracting from the negativity surrounding Trump). Racists do exist, and people always should ask themselves on what parties or people they would vote.

Why? Because by asking this to ourselves, we could eventually vote for the same party that racists would vote.

But @Scaramanga12? Can I be frank with you? And I agree with @Creasy47 on this one. I didn't type an entire article as opening post to talk about racism here. The point I wanted to make is, that eventually we could make the very same mistakes that humanity made during World War 2. I am sincerely afraid for that.

A message to @Creasy47: You may close my topic if you want, as I don't want to facilitate negativity. I wanted to facilitate a good, healthy discussion on how we can bring back the 'good', the humanitarians in our reasonings. You may support anti-immigration policies. But I don't find that a humane kind of policy. We all live on the same planet Earth, and if you want it or not...eventually all humans want the same kind of prosperity. As long as there isn't equality on this planet, we keep making the same mistakes.....

If you disagree...then please do it respectfully :-). I'm not practising christianity. But one sentence from the Bible we keep throwing out of the window time after time:

"love your neighbour as yourself"

What do you class as fascist? Do you think an anti immigration stance is fascist?

No. And again. You are not READING. I meant to say that anti-immigration policies can eventually lead to fascism and racism. I did NOT say that anti-immigration = fascism.

Look, I try to turn it the other way around. Racists do exist in today's society no? Just hear the KKK Grand Dragon leader today (endorsing Clinton...pa-the-tic. Smart way of distracting from the negativity surrounding Trump). Racists do exist, and people always should ask themselves on what parties or people they would vote.

Why? Because by asking this to ourselves, we could eventually vote for the same party that racists would vote.

But @Scaramanga12? Can I be frank with you? And I agree with @Creasy47 on this one. I didn't type an entire article as opening post to talk about racism here. The point I wanted to make is, that eventually we could make the very same mistakes that humanity made during World War 2. I am sincerely afraid for that.

A message to @Creasy47: You may close my topic if you want, as I don't want to facilitate negativity. I wanted to facilitate a good, healthy discussion on how we can bring back the 'good', the humanitarians in our reasonings. You may support anti-immigration policies. But I don't find that a humane kind of policy. We all live on the same planet Earth, and if you want it or not...eventually all humans want the same kind of prosperity. As long as there isn't equality on this planet, we keep making the same mistakes.....

If you disagree...then please do it respectfully :-). I'm not practising christianity. But one sentence from the Bible we keep throwing out of the window time after time:

so you're a globalist?

so you're a globalist?

It really depends what your definition of 'globalist' is. Though your question implies that you're preparing for a mild attack if I answer that ;-).
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,117
    The leaders of these parties are NOTTTT racists when dissecting the very definition of 'racist'. On the contrary. But they do appeal to sentiments in society that are slowly, yet effectively, creating a new kind of fascism. a fascism that is more 'grey' and more 'opaque' than its counterparts from the first Interbellum (1918-1945). One that takes the time to fully develop, as compared to real racism and facism from the first Interbellum era.

Hate to break it to you but we're already living under the yoke of facism. The reason we reached this point where people are actually voting for the likes of Trump is because of the liberal elite immediately denouncing anyone who voices the slightest concern about uncontrolled immigration as a racist rather than entering into a debate.

Hate to break it to you but we're already living under the yoke of facism. The reason we reached this point where people are actually voting for the likes of Trump is because of the liberal elite immediately denouncing anyone who voices the slightest concern about uncontrolled immigration as a racist rather than entering into a debate.

=D> well said.
  • What do you class as fascist? Do you think an anti immigration stance is fascist?

I meant to say that anti-immigration policies can eventually lead to fascism and racism.

You've got this arse over face.
    I am amused by this liberal elite idea, as our society generally is owned more by the richest through deregulation of the financial world [Which did indeed happen before in the interbellum and caused the financial crash in the '30's] and in the US the whole political proces is owned by the folks who have the money and do want a president and congress they own to make them richer at all costs.
    The liberal elite means something different in the Anglo Saxon world and within Europe. Angela Merkel is actually one of the European leaders that recognizes humanity and in the general xenophobic quarters that seems to be not done. You rather defend fascist and xenophobic ideas than look at the problems the human race is facing.

@GustavGraves you wrote a really nice piece which is not that original for people that read history books but the current political landscape and economical landscape is indeed far more right that in a long time and the liberals get blamed. The mess came like before from greed and stupid war making that most certainly not enrich anybody liberal or leftwing.
    "Those who make peaceful change impossible, make violent conflict inevitable. "
    By not being able to have a discussion ( without being called a Racist) Europe is
    in for one hell of a time. :(
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    What I find ironic is people who blame Trump, Le Pen and company of playing with the fears of the general population, are the same people playing with fear when announcing a global apocalypse if Trump became US president.

No, I do not agree with Trump, or anyone for that matter, but the serious anti-Trump's/LePen's and the most pro-Trump's/LePen's are one and the same - those who play with people's fears if they are elected, and those who play with people's fears if they are not elected.

People are frightened, so who ever tells them they have the answer will get elected.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I am amused by this liberal elite idea, as our society generally is owned more by the richest through deregulation of the financial world [Which did indeed happen before in the interbellum and caused the financial crash in the '30's] and in the US the whole political proces is owned by the folks who have the money and do want a president and congress they own to make them richer at all costs.
    The liberal elite means something different in the Anglo Saxon world and within Europe. Angela Merkel is actually one of the European leaders that recognizes humanity and in the general xenophobic quarters that seems to be not done. You rather defend fascist and xenophobic ideas than look at the problems the human race is facing.

@GustavGraves you wrote a really nice piece which is not that original for people that read history books but the current political landscape and economical landscape is indeed far more right that in a long time and the liberals get blamed. The mess came like before from greed and stupid war making that most certainly not enrich anybody liberal or leftwing.

History is so damn important to get a perspective on geopolitical developments. And just like in the period 1918-1930 it are -indeed- the 'liberals' who are being blaimed for everything.

But then, let me send a clear wake-up call to all of you then. WE have been part of this so called 'liberal capitalist elite' as much as the actual politicians and company directors. A few examples:

When a bank is offering you a mortgage contract that looks too good to be true, YOU have the power to NOT sign that contract. By stating that you simply don't have the financial assets to really own such an expensive house.

The same goes for the way we are using credit cards and mobile phone contracts. Just like the 'elite', also the consumers themselves need to fingerpoint to themselves first. Do you really believe that if you sign a mobile phone contract, that you own the phone already? NO! It's a capitalist leasing construction, in which the costs of the actual phone are re-calculated and re-distributed throughout the monthly phone costs/fees.

The examples are endless. Look, I have an incredibly high student loan debt that I need to pay back monthly. BUT! It's partially my mistake for God sake. I have been the dumbass to lend too much than I should have. Off course, my government doesn't give a rat's arse about that. But I WAS IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT to actually lower down that loan or to live with my parents to save money.

This is what I mean with self-criticism and self-fingerpointing. We don't do it anymore. Or at least many 'angry' middle-class people who have been part of this financial crisis don't have the guts anymore to realize that they themselves were stupid too. President Kennedy had this wonderful motto that we have forgotten completely, but that in my opinion is one of the best and most social motto's ever: "Ask NOT what your country can do for YOU. Ask yourself what YOU can do for your COUNTRY!"

The more we forget this motto, the more we loose the ability to apply self-criticism, the more our society loses its human side. We then are part of a mess we co-created ourselves.

One last thing:
    Currently, in The Netherlands dissatisfied, anti-European, anti-Muslim groups have initiated a referendum for the yet-to-be-ratified trade treaty with Ukraine. As you know, the EU wants to intensify trade relations with Ukraine. Anti-EU groups fear this is the start of another undemocratic move towards new-EU-membership for Ukraine.

But to those people I say: Where were you back in 1999 when our Dutch government ratified the Treaty of Maastricht and Amsterdam to introduce the single EU-currency the Euro?? Where was the positive sentiment to create a full-fledged, extensive, democratic referendum on introducing such a radical new currency???

I tell you dear middle-class people. You din't care a shit about it, because at that moment in time you had a perfectly filled wallet. Economy in The Netherlands, and the rest of the 'Classic West', was thriving. We were living in Utopia! We welcomed such a radical experiment ourselves without ANY referendum. Now THAT'S where it goes wrong. So also here the motto of JFK applies: "Ask NOT what your country can do for YOU. Ask yourself what YOU can do for your COUNTRY!"

For all those anti-EU people right now: You had the power to stop the Euro back in 1999. You had the power to initiate that very referendum....with a more positive attitude. But you didn't. Because you -and me too!- were lazy, spoiled pricks who were part of that very 'elitist liberal capitalist society'!!

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The french population voted 'NO' on the European treaty in 2005. That didn't stop our politicians to ignore the vote and ratify the treaty anyway 2 years later without re-voting.
    The french population voted 'NO' on the European treaty in 2005. That didn't stop our politicians to ignore the vote and ratify the treaty anyway 2 years later without re-voting.

I was talking about the introduction of the Euro in 1999.

History is so damn important to get a perspective on geopolitical developments. And just like in the period 1918-1930 it are -indeed- the 'liberals' who are being blaimed for everything.

But then, let me send a clear wake-up call to all of you then. WE have been part of this so called 'liberal capitalist elite' as much as the actual politicians and company directors. A few examples:

When a bank is offering you a mortgage contract that looks too good to be true, YOU have the power to NOT sign that contract. By stating that you simply don't have the financial assets to really own such an expensive house.

The same goes for the way we are using credit cards and mobile phone contracts. Just like the 'elite', also the consumers themselves need to fingerpoint to themselves first. Do you really believe that if you sign a mobile phone contract, that you own the phone already? NO! It's a capitalist leasing construction, in which the costs of the actual phone are re-calculated and re-distributed throughout the monthly phone costs/fees.

The examples are endless. Look, I have an incredibly high student loan debt that I need to pay back monthly. BUT! It's partially my mistake for God sake. I have been the dumbass to lend too much than I should have. Off course, my government doesn't give a rat's arse about that. But I WAS IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT to actually lower down that loan or to live with my parents to save money.

This is what I mean with self-criticism and self-fingerpointing. We don't do it anymore. Or at least many 'angry' middle-class people who have been part of this financial crisis don't have the guts anymore to realize that they themselves were stupid too. President Kennedy had this wonderful motto that we have forgotten completely, but that in my opinion is one of the best and most social motto's ever: "Ask NOT what your country can do for YOU. Ask yourself what YOU can do for your COUNTRY!"

The more we forget this motto, the more we loose the ability to apply self-criticism, the more our society loses its human side. We then are part of a mess we co-created ourselves.

Utter garbage.

Speak for yourself if you've run up a load of unsustainable debt but the only debt I have is my mortgage and my car which I can afford comfortably.

I play by the 'rules'. I pay my TV licence and car insurance like a mug. I even pay 5p for a plastic bag at the self service tills at Tesco because I am so gormlessly honest.

And where does it get me? Just paying more tax to subsidise those who don't play by the rules.

George Osborne supposed to be a Tory, the party of free enterprise, but after taking 12k stamp duty up the arse from him I'd have done better voting Communist.