Craig: stay or go? has SPECTRE changed any opinions?

191011121315»

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I may like Swann even more than Vesper too, but as a couple the winner is Craig/Green - no question.

To be honest I think Lea ends up doing most of the work in her scenes with Craig during SP. The train scene right before the fight is a good example. She's the one I'm smiling at and feeling engaged with. In the equivalent scene with CR, the two actors were on a far more even keel. Craig seems a bit like he's going through the motions sometimes. He's better in the earlier scene with Lucia.

I think Craig is fine in SPECTRE but fine is not how he was previously. I don't whether his injury affected his enthusiasum or the fact that this more laid back Bond just didn't work for me like his previous performances but this is the one entry of his he felt like he was just going through the motions.

Craig felt far more invested in his previous films. I don't want him to go despite my disappointment with SPECTRE and I hope he comes back and ends on a high because if SP is his last shout in the role it will be a great shame.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    If Spectre is Craig's last, he will be the first Bond actor who ends his tenure on an absolute high.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If Spectre is Craig's last, he will be the first Bond actor who ends his tenure on an absolute high.

Except for Lazenby! ;))

Except for Lazenby! ;))

Yes :))
    edited March 2016 Posts: 7,969
    Craig did an interview with Charlie Rose for SP, and he looks younger there than he did in Skyfall which he filmed 4 years before. He definitely has one more Bond left, if he wants to do it. Craig gets better with every film he makes. Now he personifies Bond just as Connery did in the 60's!

Also, the prospect of a possible sequel to SP is so tantilising! =P~
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Daniel Craig's performance in Spectre is the best Bond performance since DN to TB.
    If they had let him perform like that in QOS and especially SF, he would be considered to be better than Connery.

Craig Bond No 5 has to come.
  • peter wrote: »
    the question of the thread is:
    Craig: stay or go.

Having just watched SPECTRE again, no matter what you think of the film, this man in the tux absolutely should stay. He's too commanding in the role. Even with a knee injury, the guy is full of energy, charm, sarcasm, yet can turn the cold on (again, no matter what you think of the scene where Madeline breaks off the relationship with Bond, it's played beautifully. And when DC gets in the car with M, he's as cold as an air conditioner on the hottest day of summer).

I would hate to be BB and MGW. DC is too good in this role. As I stated in another thread (or maybe this one), take whatever actor you have in mind to replace Craig, then imagine specific scenes of Craig Bond vs the Actor. For example:

Craig vs Actor fighting atop a moving train, seducing Monica Bellucci, in a gambling sequence, in a face-off against M... and so on...

Can this Actor come out on top of most of these scenarios vs Craig?...

But the new actor would do new things. If they want to keep the same style, they might as well hold on to Craig but if they want to bring a different angle, they will bring in somebody new. I quite like the idea of Aiden Turner because he has a sultry Byronic quality, different to Craig. The last thing I'd want is somebody who was playing it like Craig because Bond is meant to be unique and it undermines that idea.
  • Craig and Seydoux had some chemistry but it is buried beneath a sub-par script.
    I want Craig to leave.He is incredibly overrated as Bond.Not a bad actor as such and i have nothing personal against the guy but he just never had the Bond charm for me.He would have been better off playing a Bond villain or fellow 00 agent than 007.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

Having just watched SPECTRE again, no matter what you think of the film, this man in the tux absolutely should stay. He's too commanding in the role. Even with a knee injury, the guy is full of energy, charm, sarcasm, yet can turn the cold on (again, no matter what you think of the scene where Madeline breaks off the relationship with Bond, it's played beautifully. And when DC gets in the car with M, he's as cold as an air conditioner on the hottest day of summer).

I would hate to be BB and MGW. DC is too good in this role. As I stated in another thread (or maybe this one), take whatever actor you have in mind to replace Craig, then imagine specific scenes of Craig Bond vs the Actor. For example:

Craig vs Actor fighting atop a moving train, seducing Monica Bellucci, in a gambling sequence, in a face-off against M... and so on...

But the new actor would do new things. If they want to keep the same style, they might as well hold on to Craig but if they want to bring a different angle, they will bring in somebody new. I quite like the idea of Aiden Turner because he has a sultry Byronic quality, different to Craig. The last thing I'd want is somebody who was playing it like Craig because Bond is meant to be unique and it undermines that idea.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying: I am not suggesting the new actor has to "do Craig", I am saying the new actor has to "beat" Craig, in his own way, in the scenes that we expect a 007 to go through.
    Craig did an interview with Charlie Rose for SP, and he looks younger there than he did in Skyfall which he filmed 4 years before. He definitely has one more Bond left, if he wants to do it. Craig gets better with every film he makes. Now he personifies Bond just as Connery did in the 60's!

I think they deliberately made him look older in SF. Everyone goes on about how old he looks, I think it's meant to be like that given the whole theme of old ways and new ways ... old dog new tricks etc., hence the very cropped haircut which makes him look older.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I think they deliberately made him look older in SF. Everyone goes on about how old he looks, I think it's meant to be like that given the whole theme of old ways and new ways ... old dog new tricks etc., hence the very cropped haircut which makes him look older.

That reminds me of how Ewan McGregor was made to look older in Revenge of the Sith, so he would match up with Alec Guinness Obi-wan in A New Hope.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Shardlake wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I may like Swann even more than Vesper too, but as a couple the winner is Craig/Green - no question.

To be honest I think Lea ends up doing most of the work in her scenes with Craig during SP. The train scene right before the fight is a good example. She's the one I'm smiling at and feeling engaged with. In the equivalent scene with CR, the two actors were on a far more even keel. Craig seems a bit like he's going through the motions sometimes. He's better in the earlier scene with Lucia.

I think Craig is fine in SPECTRE but fine is not how he was previously. I don't whether his injury affected his enthusiasum or the fact that this more laid back Bond just didn't work for me like his previous performances but this is the one entry of his he felt like he was just going through the motions.

Craig felt far more invested in his previous films. I don't want him to go despite my disappointment with SPECTRE and I hope he comes back and ends on a high because if SP is his last shout in the role it will be a great shame.

When I read posts suggesting Craig looks bored in SP or is 'going through the motions', it does remind me of the same thing being levelled at Connery in YOLT.

IMO both give perfectly measured and fine performances, no les than previously.

I have never seen a single frame of YOLT that suggested to me Connery looked bored.

However, others are seeing it, so I could only surmise that YOLT the movie simply did not fit Connery's take on the role as well as the first four pictures did. It was more action orientated, more quirky and light hearted. Connery's languid, leisurely, urbane agent probably didn't fit the film as well as (say) Moore would have done. Connery was as cool and dynamic as ever but the pace of the film just passed him by.

Is this happening now with Craig and Spectre? Craig gave us the tortured, troubled spy in CR, QOS and SF, but suddenly we have a more light hearted film, and it doesn't quite fit him as well, even though his performance is perfectly good.

So, are we looking at the actors and saying they don't look interested when in fact we should be looking at the film and saying that this film isn't quite right for the actor?
  • peter wrote: »
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying: I am not suggesting the new actor has to "do Craig", I am saying the new actor has to "beat" Craig, in his own way, in the scenes that we expect a 007 to go through.

I see. I still think though that we can't call it yet. I can imagine quite a few actors can convincingly seduce a woman- whether that same actor can also do fight scenes may be another matter but still, there are probably actors who can pull that off, maybe even better than Craig. It's simply that the potential may still be untapped- until we have seen examples of the actor doing these things, we can't really say that they'll be worse than Craig.
  • I don't think Craig looks bored in Spectre; in fact, he looks very comfortable, which some might say is quite different from how his era started, with him as a 'grittier' Bond. He clearly knows how to 'do' Bond which can be a plus or a negative. The plus is that he's a safe pair of hands but the negative is that he's lost his USP and therefore his edge over anyone else who may take over. His edge now is simply that after ten years plus, we accept him as Bond even if the film was about him popping out to buy some bread. That will be enough for many people but not enough for others.
    I heard that Craig enjoyed SP more because he felt he could trust Sam Mendes. With Mendes already writing off B25, EON will need to find someone Craig is happy working with if they expect him to return. I don't think even he knows if he's coming back yet...
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Id like to see Craig coming back.
    I really enjoyed very much his more Classic Bond Portrayal in Spectre and being the character we all loved from Dr No- Die Another day so id love him to come back but with a standalone mission where all the classic elements are back in place.

Going back to the old days but in a modern way. A clear statement that we have back the Classic Bond character so the next actors in the future can be The Next Bond with no problem.

We could forget about Blofeld and Madeline ever existed and give Craig a simple standalone misssion like the older Bonds.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    In the immortal words of Derek Flint concerning Craig's return,
    "Ladies. Forget it!"
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I've said this before, and I know there is little chance of this happening: my ideal BOND 25 would be Pierce coming back as an older Bond as a one-off, in a straight, no-frills, adaptation of Fleming's THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.. His age doesn't jibe with the Bond of that novel, but I can let that go.

Now you're speaking my language. :-bd
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    I've said this before, and I know there is little chance of this happening: my ideal BOND 25 would be Pierce coming back as an older Bond as a one-off, in a straight, no-frills, adaptation of Fleming's THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.. His age doesn't jibe with the Bond of that novel, but I can let that go.

I speak English.
    Who is your Bond?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

I speak English.
    Who is your Bond?

Yes yes I'm English. Brosnan is my Bond. :D
  • Ehhh don't bring him back honestly.

If they want him back they will waste half the film's budget on him. And he will give a very bored performance probably. Not worth it.

And I am sick of the Craig era and all the angst that comes with it. They're fine on their own but enough is enough. We will not be getting another CR from Craig, so never mind about it.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Little chance of it happening? Thankfully it's closer to zero chance.

A 63 year old Bond in TSWLM as written would be terrible. I wouldn't mind it in a series of adaptations of the novels on Netflix but if EON served up a trite story of some girl getting shagged in a cinema before winding up working in a motel where two stereotype hoodlums attack her only for her to be saved by some guy passing through they would be crucified and justly so.

And I doubt the new studio would be too happy with their investment either. If you think SP was underwhelming at the box office as it limps to $200m this would be lucky to make $20m.

Yes Bond is a licence to print money but you've got to serve up something better than Mills & Boon with a bit of action thrown in. I wonder if it was your own money backing it you'd be as keen?

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Craig STAY. Mendes, don't care.