Why criticism on "Skyfall" never truly gained ground (but flourishes in small fan circles)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    To quote one of my favourite villains:

Give the people what they want.
    I think of Bond as the hero....
    :P
    With SF Bonds involvement was moot, the bad guy wanted to kill M and he did anyhow.

With SP we got something, but I am still not sure what with all the money going towards fancy cars, buildings and big bangs and no humanity or extra's involved. Were Mendes involved in the next 007 movie I will sit that one out until we get a next team. So no I did not get what I wanted at all. As Bond fan the last three 007 outings have not been to my liking.
    I like SP but that first teaser trailer was misleading in a sense.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Tuck91 wrote: »

Very misleading, at first they probably wanted to create the illusion SP was Skyfall Part II.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    You're absolutely right. The trailer itself is brilliant though.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I remember from that first trailer, all the speculation that SP was going to be a
    Remake of OHMSS.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I remember from that first trailer, all the speculation that SP was going to be a
    Remake of OHMSS.
    It's interesting, and often hilarious to read speculation in retrospect.
    Yes it is, especially when images of a "Mountain top building " appeared. :D
  • TripAces wrote: »
    Odd that people find the SF climactic scenes as Home Alone. I saw Straw Dogs in those scenes.
    Mendes himself talks about Home Alone for these scenes...
    IMO, you don't see much Dustin Hoffman setting up elaborated traps, Straw Dogs is rather a fantasy of instant violence to solve every problem.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It was more like the Pierce Brosnan movie Live Wire than Home alone. He rigs up a house in a similar way and it's pretty awesome.
    In my opinion, many films and TV shows have, done a home defence story, using
    Whatever is at hand to defend it. I remember reading many martial arts magazines
    explaining how to turn ordinary items into weapons, very interesting reading. Infact
    I've seen a few used in the Jason Bourne movies, Yet old Jason seems to be given a pass
    On the home alone jokes. :)
    Remake of OHMSS.

Well apparently Bond was originally going to say to Swann at the end that they have all the time in the world.
    I prefer that trailer to the movie...and where can I get the music?
  • SF is one of the better bond films in the series, and as a story just tramples upon SP.
    SF is one of the better bond films in the series, and as a story just tramples upon SP.

SF has a story?
  • Yes, it's the deadly pursuit of M by a vengeful former agent known as Silva.
  • RC7RC7
    SF is one of the better bond films in the series, and as a story just tramples upon SP.

SF has a story?

SF has a story. It's plot that is lacking.
  • We'll have to disagree. I think the plot is made even more interesting and complex by the self doubt cast over Bond in a pretty impressive opening sequence that ripples really well throughout the narrative.
    Yes, it's the deadly pursuit of M by a vengeful former agent known as Silva.

Sounds like TWINE with a shot of GoldenEye.
  • Except in the world is not enough it's done in a weary, languid way with absolutely no tension. So, if Silva captures M, is he going to hold her until 007 dutifully and obligingly shows up to save her? I think not. Maybe makes her bite a cyanide capsule.
    Except in the world is not enough it's done in a weary, languid way with absolutely no tension. So, if Silva captures M, is he going to hold her until 007 dutifully and obligingly shows up to save her? I think not. Maybe makes her bite a cyanide capsule.

Well I rank TWINE and SF both very low.
    TWINE was at least original. SF just a cheap, if very good-looking, copy of the same story.
    And against Elektra, Silva is a clown.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Except in the world is not enough it's done in a weary, languid way with absolutely no tension. So, if Silva captures M, is he going to hold her until 007 dutifully and obligingly shows up to save her? I think not. Maybe makes her bite a cyanide capsule.

And if Silva's only mission was to kill M, why didn't he kill her in her flat? Or in the ensuing MI6 explosion? Or at the council meeting? Or any other time? Perhaps the goals of Silva and Renard/Elektra aren't the exact same, after all.
  • RC7RC7

The story to me is about a Mother figure who has spawned two sons, both of whom she left to die. One is hell-bent on destroying her, the other will do anything to save her.

Silva pursuing her is just one part of a splintered and at times incoherent plot.
  • I agree that SF is not a perfect story, yet there's just more of a profound attempt at a narrative than TWINE. It's the normal thing to have M to be kept around and survive, yet SF does not do that. There's a lot of conveniences during Silva's escape, I willingly admit that, but between the clear themes of death, motherhood, trust and sibling rivalry, there's just a lot there. For me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RC7 wrote: »

The story to me is about a Mother figure who has spawned two sons, both of whom she left to die. One is hell-bent on destroying her, the other will do anything to save her.

Silva pursuing her is just one part of a splintered and at times incoherent plot.

Mendes is very much into archetypes and myths. Everyone is, but he knows it.
    I agree that SF is not a perfect story, yet there's just more of a profound attempt at a narrative than TWINE. It's the normal thing to have M to be kept around and survive, yet SF does not do that. There's a lot of conveniences during Silva's escape, I willingly admit that, but between the clear themes of death, motherhood, trust and sibling rivalry, there's just a lot there. For me.

Sounds like Grey's Anatomy, Season 10.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I hate Skyfall... herd mentality....
    Too many of its elements were from TWINE. Nothing really new, except the add on of family history. I like SP better.
  • aspie wrote: »
    Too many of its elements were from TWINE. Nothing really new, except the add on of family history. I like SP better.

Except that M dies, the villain is much more complex, the action sequences are superb and flat-out embarrass TWINE, there's some pretty interesting quotes about resolve from a major poet, and that Bond's history is revealed in a poetic and interesting way that relates to the story.
    aspie wrote: »

Except that M dies, the villain is much more complex, the action sequences are superb and flat-out embarrass TWINE, there's some pretty interesting quotes about resolve from a major poet, and that Bond's history is revealed in a poetic and interesting way that relates to the story.

Silva is as complex as Mini-Me in Austin Powers but on the rest I agree. The little action that SF sees is top-notch and beautifully choreographed. It's poetry in motion.