SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Let's put it this way. It did very well at the box office (certainly not poorly) but it didn't grow the audience noticeably compared to the previous film in any market except perhaps China, where it was expected to do so, because that market is expanding every year. Would that be a fair assessment?
  • Someone should change the title of this discussion as it won't get that 950 million now. Call it "spectre achieves 880 million in one of the biggest movie years ever"
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @mcdonbb

Critically it "bombed".

I can live with that statement.

Many expected/wanted another borefest and daytime soap opera style movie like Skyfall.
    They didn't get it, bad luck. Anger has to be vented. I can understand that.
    Ultimately this back and forth was summarized best by Craig himself in SP.

"Well, it's all a matter of perspective"
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,116
    To clarify what I meant by bomb. In hoping to achieve universal critical claim SP failed ...or as I was trying to say it "bombed".

I wasn't referring to BO. You're apparently a wordsmith @smitty. Surprised you didn't understand my original point. You used BO and rankings to put me in my place.
    I'm gonna make a prediction and that no future Bond film will break skyfall record. I hope I'm wrong
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    I'm gonna make a prediction and that no future Bond film will break skyfall record. I hope I'm wrong
    In my view, it will depend to an extent on currencies. Foreign exchange conversion. If the US$ is strong during B25's release like it was when SP came out, then you're probably correct. If it weakens, then B25 could surpass SF purely due to global ticket price inflation since 2012, larger foreign markets like China since 2012, and due to exchange rates.

Notice how even SW-TFA couldn't take out Titanic/Avatar globally even though it trounced them in the US. A lot of that had to do with the strong US$ in 2015.
    Your words... "yea it bombed." Your words, not mine.
  • For the weekend in US and Canada, $16,000. Cumulative now $199,840,527.

bondjames wrote: »
    In my view, it will depend to an extent on currencies. Foreign exchange conversion. If the US$ is strong during B25's release like it was when SP came out, then you're probably correct. If it weakens, then B25 could surpass SF purely due to global ticket price inflation since 2012, larger foreign markets like China since 2012, and due to exchange rates.

Notice how even SW-TFA couldn't take out Titanic/Avatar globally even though it trounced them in the US. A lot of that had to do with the strong US$ in 2015.

Exactly
    For the weekend in US and Canada, $16,000. Cumulative now $199,840,527.

I wonder how long they'll keep it in screens.
    smitty wrote: »
    Your words... "yea it bombed." Your words, not mine.

Yes my words (?) ....and??
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I hate to be the one to debate semantics here, but the errs in some word uses are strong. Did SP meet the previous gross or worldwide acclaim of SF? No it did not, but that's not what's called a "bomb" in any sense of the word.

If SP was a bomb, EON would be scrambling to reevaluate their plans for these films, going into a panic at Bond's future livelihood in a cinematic market, questioning if there's still a place for him. Critically, the film would get a 20-30% rating, and financially, it'd take in an amount so low it's jarring to imagine a Bond adventure pulling such low numbers. That's not what happened. It's not a bomb.

With the way that ticket prices always seem to go up and box office records always seem to be under constant threat, the box office totals of Skyfall will be matched and eventually surpassed. Maybe not with Bond 25, but it will happen.

Then, once it happens again, it'll be routine for Bond films to make that much money, as it will be for most films to pass the $1 billion mark. $100 million used to be the benchmark in the US. Now it's $200 million. More and more films are reaching the $1 billion mark internationally. Eventually that will no longer be the benchmark and some other ridiculously high number will replace it.

Just for the record I never said SP financially was a bomb. Critically mixed at best ...similar to QS.

I used the word bomb emphasizing that this time out they didn't hit their mark. Compared to the financial success of SP the critical success of SP "bombed".

• I hate to be the one to debate semantics here, but the errs in some word uses are strong. Did SP meet the previous gross or worldwide acclaim of SF? No it did not, but that's not what's called a "bomb" in any sense of the word.

If SP was a bomb, EON would be scrambling to reevaluate their plans for these films, going into a panic at Bond's future livelihood in a cinematic market, questioning if there's still a place for him. Critically, the film would get a 20-30% rating, and financially, it'd take in an amount so low it's jarring to imagine a Bond adventure pulling such low numbers. That's not what happened. It's not a bomb.

In fact it is a success, not as great as SF, but still a big one. This movie has overperformed over 200 million its target and it has 64% positive reviews with a 6.5 out 10 average.
    http://www.007magazine.co.uk/bond24/secrets_of_spectre1.htm
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spectre_2015/
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Let's finish this "bombed" business.
    Anybody who knows @mcdonbb at bit from his posts, knows how he meant it and that he wouldn't make such a preposterous general statement as "Spectre bombed".

Sometimes posts can be misunderstood easily. It happened to me too, more than once.
    Let's finish this "bombed" business.
    Anybody who knows @mcdonbb at bit from his posts, knows how he meant it and that he wouldn't make such a preposterous general statement as "Spectre bombed".

Sometimes posts can be misunderstood easily. It happened to me too, more than once.
    Agreed, well said. I understood what he meant, and I agree with his general point. We all would have wanted the film to do better in the US market, in China and to have better reviews overall. That is the crux of it.
    Many thanks to @bondjasonbond006 and to @bondjames for the support. I admit it may not have been the best term to use but I was just trying to say that SP did perform well financially and less so critically.

I wasn't even voicing my opinion of SP which yes I do admit fluctuates.
  • RC7RC7
    Remember when we all just liked Bond, before the internet? Halcyon days.
    Yup @RC7 ..I think we still do or we wouldn't be here.

It's like WWIII in here sometimes.
  • So at the Academy Award ceremony it's okay to joke about not seeing SPECTRE (but they still use John Barry Bond Music in the ceremony). I'm afraid mcdonbb has not finished to answer critics from everywhere about how USA simply didn't get SPECTRE !
    just cause it didn't make a lot of money here doesn't mean we didn't get it.I think that is a cop out.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    People need to really get over that SP just didn't resonate as well as hoped in the States. Rounded up, it's made 200million over there and has made close to 900 million in total. Now on the flip side, just this evening I saw a TV advert for the dvd release of SP and they hailed it as the best Bond ever. My brain didn't know which to do first, laugh or roll my eyes.
    it might have been the fact that 2015 was such a big year for movies , maybe the biggest in 10 years or so, that people went to see other things instead of SP.
    just cause it didn't make a lot of money here doesn't mean we didn't get it.I think that is a cop out.

Agreed. I think we "got it" over here in the States. Spectre really isn't sophisticated enough of a film for anyone to not "get it". We "got it", but what we got just wasn't very good.

• edited February 2016 Posts: 2,015
    The James Bond musical cues so far in the ceremony : DAF and CR67 (+ TMWTGG except in memoriam of Christoper Lee) ! It will compensate for the I didn't see SPECTRE and the Idris Elba reference I guess :) The old Bond is respected, the last one.. hm, less so.

Great to hear the winner of the short documentary make a two seconds line that sent all the Louis CK tired speech to the dustbin !
    I think SP would have hit a billion if released in 2014 or 2016.
    Releasing the same film in different years wouldn't have gotten that much more in terms of repeat viewings, which is where Spectre missed out on repeating Skyfall's box office numbers.

A lot of people saw Spectre, but not nearly as many went back for a second (or more) viewing like they did for Skyfall.
    idk know about that what about the families that don't see a lot of movies a year, they probably took the wife and kids to see Jurassic world or star wars or even mad max, instead of the new bond film.