I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,588
    I just noticed yesterday that Hinx's Jaguar has a very large scratch in one of the scenes before Bond torches it.
    Probably a result of hitting the motorcycles or the abrupt staircase veer.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    In SF, when M's computer is hacked with the message, "Think on your sins," a DIA DE LOS MUERTOS skull is what appears. A direct connection to SP.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    In SPECTRE, when Blofeld glares at Bond and Madeline for the final time, we get a POV shot of the couple with the corners of the screen roughly rounded, implying that we are certainly looking through Blofeld's eyes (as if more was needed). The significance is that this little bit of personalization added to the shot is EON stating that a Blofeld revenge movie is in the future.

I'll have to look out for that when I get the Blu Ray, I didn't notice that in the cinema.
    TripAces wrote: »
    In SF, when M's computer is hacked with the message, "Think on your sins," a DIA DE LOS MUERTOS skull is what appears. A direct connection to SP.

I didn't notice this either.
  • TripAces wrote: »

Similar skull is also seen on Q's computer as "Not such a clever boy" appears. But how is it a connection though? It doesn't have any relevance to Spectre. I assume Silva used the skull as a reference to his heritage (and perhaps to give M a little clue as to who it was? Guess she didn't figure it out though).
  • PlykshowPlykshow Kent, United Kingdom
    I didn't notice until after I read the book, in Dr. No, when M fails to light his pipe, Bond offers him his own pack of matches, to which M shakes his head and refuses and walks to the fireplace to pick up his own.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Was watching FRWL and spotted a few little things that I'd never seen before (I think bluray on a large screen is a help):

1. Just after the first time the Russian embassy guy tells Bond that the clock is correct, Bond walks off and the guy shouts for the next person in the visa queue to step up. The name he shouts is 'Gagarin' and the bloke who stands up just happens to be sitting underneath a portrait of Yuri Gagarin!

2. Bond is extremely fortunate to get out of the scrape with Grant because when he opens his own case to give him the gold soverigns you can see he has very sloppily forgotten to put the tear gas grenade in place next to the locks like Q showed him. And given at the start M says 'we're issuing this to all 00 personnel' he's very lucky that Nash (who is just a bog standard Station Y agent) has managed to blag one from somewhere.

3. At the start Kronsteen says 'we can get revenge for Dr No because the man the British are most likely to send one mission like this is their agent James Bond'.
    Nice one Kronners - given that the whole plan hinges on convincing the British that Tania has fallen in love with Bond then I guess there is a fair chance they will send him.

I will never know why Grant needs gold chocolate coins in his mouth right before he kills Bond. Fatal error. :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    In SP, Madeline asks on the train:
    "What if I shoot you by mistake?"

Bond replies:
    "It wouldn’t be the first time."

I chuckled as I realized he was likely referring to MP's mistake at the beginning of SF
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 12,273
    bondjames wrote: »

Bond replies:

I chuckled as I realized he was likely referring to MP's mistake at the beginning of SF

I never caught that before - in 3 watches! Wow I can't believe I missed that.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Bond replies:

And on a train, as well :)
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited February 2016 Posts: 3,675
    In SP, Craig wears almost the exact same thing as Tim did when they both went to Morocco.

Craig
    Dalton
  • Spectre octopus
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And Bond s first name is James!
    In SP, Craig wears almost the exact same thing as Tim did when they both went to Morocco.

Craig
    Dalton

I was struck by this on first viewing :)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I noticed the shorter fella. They just made a mistake. It is meant to be Ouromov, but the fella they used with helmet was the wrong height. Bad miss there imho.

Only if it had been explicitely stated that it was Orumov.
    If it wasn't supposed to be Ouromov, then the only explanation is that the helicopter landed somewhere on route to Severnaya and picked up Ouromov as a replacement for the short fella.

It's interesting that this is being mentioned, because I did notice that height discrepancy and it bothers me.

I always took that for a given. How else could Bond and M watch the events in Severnaya life? Bond still had to be taken out of French custody, probably report to M and return to the UK. If that 'copter flew straight from France to the fascility (which I doubt it would be able to do in the first place), Bond would nevr be in time to watch it. When Bond and M talk about it, they talk about it like it happened weeks ago ('not worth persuing')..
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Tiger helicopter obviously landed in between France and Severnaya, as their outfits have completely changed from when they first get in to when Ourumov and Xenia land and hop out.
    The name Craig Mitchell, in QoS, is ironic:

Daniel CRAIG and (the girlfriend) Satsuki MITCHELL.

You think it was intentional?
    In Goldfinger ,auric is wearing golden slippers as he walks towards the table to play cards in miami.

And in Thunderball, there is a golfinger lookalike getting dressed in a similar yellow shirt to the one he wore playing cards in miami in Goldfinger, after bond meets lippi, in the other room.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think it was from reading it here, but I did notice the last time watching Spectre.
    In the Q scene when Q makes his joke about the DB5, Tanner's smile drops with one look from Bond.
  • TripAces wrote: »

I don't think you've quite mastered the trope of irony just yet. :)
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    hahaha, abrasively phrased, but yes I'm pretty sure that's not irony.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Irony, can be pretty damn Ironic. ( Topper Harley) :D
    I watched LTK last night and just noticed the syncing of the car horn with Dalton placing his hand on a statue's breast while repelling down the side of a building.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    One of the Quantum collaborators names in QoS is Guy Haines. That was the name of the protagonist in Strangers on a Train - 1951 (Hitchcock), played by Farley Grainger, which I recently watched for the first time. Must be a coincidence, because I can't find a connection.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    One of the Quantum collaborators names in QoS is Guy Haines. That was the name of the protagonist in Strangers on a Train - 1951 (Hitchcock), played by Farley Grainger, which I recently watched for the first time. Must be a coincidence, because I can't find a connection.

Bond and Hitch have a long relationship. I'm betting that someone knew what they were doing.

I think it was no coincidence either.

About SP, I noticed three things tonight (well, four):

-Hinx uses a tissue to clean his bloody fingers after killing the man in the meeting.
    -There's a good bit I learned from Krav Maga that is being used in the movie by Bond.
    -Sam Mendes sure loves his Stanley Kubrick. He borrows heavily from him. And I do mean heavily. I might start a thread about it.
    -One of the guys sent after Q looks like one of my KM instructors. I mean a lot.
    -Sam Mendes sure loves his Stanley Kubrick. He borrows heavily from him. And I do mean heavily. I might start a thread about it.
    That's something I 'felt'. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but I definitely got a Kubrick feel from SP in some places. Sort of subconscious.

I don't think you've quite mastered the trope of irony just yet. :)

It is, given the relationship was about to meet the same fate. Heavy coincidences, intentional or not, are indeed an example of irony.
    That's something I 'felt'. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but I definitely got a Kubrick feel from SP in some places. Sort of subconscious.

Lots of things from Eyes Wide Shut (, the masks, the SPECTRE meeting Bond crashes into), some from Dr Strangelove (same meeting, table and all), as well as at least a bit of Blofeld's mannerism, the torture of Bond is inspired consciously or not with the brainwashing scene in A Clockwork Orange, the empty streets of London and Rome are not unlike the empty streets of New York in Eyes Wide Shut again, oh and I always wondered why the some of Blofeld's line sounded so familiar. It was because they are very similar to the ones of Grady in The Shining. Like Blofeld, he's always been here. And, fittingly enough, he's a ghost.

And not to forget, the whole crater and meteorite, pretty much lifted from 2001.