Bond films that you love, but most others dislike?

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    TripAces wrote: »
    DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER. Sits just outside my top ten. If only for that witty and funny as hell script.

Me too. The film is SO bad that it's a delight to watch.

Definitely in my top 10. Second favourite Connery only to FRWL.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    DAF has certainly grown on me. I'm ashamed to say that when younger I superficially dismissed it on account of Connery's porky, almost dishevelled appearance (and I did the same thing with LTK as well for the same reasons with respect to Dalton's unkempt hair).

Now I think it's one of the most entertaining Bond films because its tone is consistent and fun throughout, and has been mentioned, the dialogue is sharp and witty. I also like LTK now (the worst performing Bond film of all time so I guess it qualifies as a generally disliked one) but more on account of the excellent plot and Dalton & Davi's performances.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I haven't watched DaD in years. Rightfully so, in many cases, it catches a lot of flack here; but the other night I stumbled across it and to my surprise I enjoyed it.
    Benny wrote: »
    Ed83 wrote: »
    TND, TWINE, QOS, DAF, MR, LTK, are all fun to watch.

Take out QOS (although it is growing on me) and I'd agree wholeheartedly. TND is one I don't often watch, but have a soft spot for. I loved it when it came out in '97. It's a weird one now. Almost a forgotten Bond film. Especially with the general public, and even legit Bond fans. There's a lot to like in TND.
    And you forgot OP on that list.
    ;)

I guess I kind of burned myself out on OP and AVTAK. OP is great fun with the PTS and the airplane fight. I think the same thing happened with LALD and TMWTGG for me. I watched them so many times that JW Pepper grates on me. I still enjoy all of the films, but I guess each film in the series has some kind of disappointing part. But the good stuff outweighs the bad.
    "QUANTUM OF SOLACE". Not many people liked this movie. But it's 11th ranked with me, as far as Bond movies are concerned.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It's #8 on my list.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Octopussy for me. Most people I see rank it in the bottom eight, but in my opinion, if you look past a couple of flaws (which really get overexaggerated), it's a fine and very enjoyable film.

I might be wrong but Octopussy seems very appreciated here. Maybe not always in a top ten, but fairly high and at least loved.

The more hardcore Bond fans seem to have greater appreciation for it. The more casual fans who've just seen all of the movies tend to rank it near the bottom, along with the rest of the Roger Moore films.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Octopussy for me. Most people I see rank it in the bottom eight, but in my opinion, if you look past a couple of flaws (which really get overexaggerated), it's a fine and very enjoyable film.

I might be wrong but Octopussy seems very appreciated here. Maybe not always in a top ten, but fairly high and at least loved.

The more hardcore Bond fans seem to have greater appreciation for it. The more casual fans who've just seen all of the movies tend to rank it near the bottom, along with the rest of the Roger Moore films.

I don't think it is Moore's best performance, but I think it might be his best Bond.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    OCTOPUSSY seems to be more popular with the US audience.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    OP is a top 10 for me. Even though I've tried to rank it lower (on account of its jokey disposition), I can't. It's just too much fun and so well paced.
    I would not say that I "love" AVTAK but I never had a problem with it. I never understood why the film gets so much hate. The two main villains, Zorin and May Day are tops. Grace Jones does a great job and any scene with Christopher Walken is sends chills down my spine.

The theme song is very good and actually topped the charts (a first for a Bond title song) and Barry's soundtrack is one of his best efforts in many years.

As for the bad and ugly: Tanya Roberts is bad as a Bond girl but she is not the worst. (Denise Richards and Halle Barry share that distinction). the chase in the fire engine is kinda dumb but it has thrills and hell, we were used to this from the Moore Bonds anyway.

AVTAK is a flawed film but it has a lot to recommend it.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 11,189
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    I would not say that I "love" AVTAK but I never had a problem with it. I never understood why the film gets so much hate. The two main villains, Zorin and May Day are tops. Grace Jones does a great job and any scene with Christopher Walken is sends chills down my spine.

The problem I have with View these days is that it feels sloppy/lazy in the way its made. Like they're simply saying "old Bond is here...again". When you see Bond get it on with a stupidly attractive pin-up posing as an agent, you know they don't give a damn about credibility. Ditto with the fire-engine chase. That whole sequence has to be one of the lowest points in the series until DAD.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,386
    Moonraker, Tomorrow Never Dies, & SPECTRE
    I love TLD, but I guess most don't because clearly it turns to crap in the last half.
    I love TND, but I guess most don't because clearly it turns to crap at the last half.
    I love SP, but I guess most don't because clearly it turns to crap in the last half.
    I love YOLT, but I guess most don't because clearly it turns to crap in the last half.
    etc, etc.... 8-}
  • GBFGBF
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    OHMSS69 wrote: »

The problem I have with View these days is that it feels sloppy/lazy in the way its made. Like they're simply saying "old Bond is here...again". When you see Bond get it on with a stupidly attractive pin-up posing as an agent, you know they don't give a damn about credibility. Ditto with the fire-engine chase. That whole sequence has to be one of the lowest points in the series until DAD.

I think the film is not wothout it flaws but tell me one Bond film that does not have problems. OHMSS is often regarded to be the best Bond film and I also like it but it is also heavily flawed (the villain's plan is so ridiculous, it always makes me smile :-), the love story is completely unbelievable and Bond is extremely wooden in many scenes). The thing is if a bond film is close to a Bond novel it is supposed to be a Bond classic and must be good. In fact, it cannot be bad. That is why people usually do not complain about the 60th Bond films and completely ignore all the problems these films have.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @chrisisall, TLD turns to crap in the last half? You had me, now you lost me again. :p
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @chrisisall, TLD turns to crap in the last half?
    That's what I keep hearing, though I can't seem to see it myself....
    :-??
    In that case we're still friends. :)

TLD is one of the few Bond films, along with LTK and CR and a couple others, that maintains a constant strength throughout the film.

TND by contrast, yeah, that one falls flat on its ass midway through the film.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 17,690
    TLD is one of the few Bond films, along with LTK and CR and a couple others, that maintains a constant strength throughout the film.
    LTK & TLD are my top two Bond movies, yet I keep hearing "once Bond gets to Afghanistan the movie loses it" & "the truck chase is ridiculous and overlong and Felix & the winking fish ruin the end"...
    :-O
    Jimmy Bond! :-bd

I do really like Peter Lorre as LeChiffre, he makes for a good Bond villain.
    What? Who are these crazy people? TLD keeps the adrenaline going all the way till the end of the film.

And the winking fish isn't half as bad as Baron Samedi on the train or Connery winking at us in NSNA or GF being over before you know it or YOLT not even assuring us that Tiger and his men are fine, ...
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512
    TLD is awesome.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    What? Who are these crazy people? TLD keeps the adrenaline going all the way till the end of the film.

To me it just turns plain silly and dull when it moves to Afghanistan. I'm pretty much on board until then.

@DarthDimi see what I mean? :-O
    the winking fish has never bothered me. I just assumed that it was on some kind of timer and that was when it was set to blink (like it would again in another sixty seconds or whatever time period elapses between).

THANK YOU! =D>
    Licence to Kill is probably mine, sitting at #8/24 in my ranking. I just love it; seems to have pretty low ratings in general, but I enjoy how different and intense it is. It was Bond going rogue before it was common. It piled on the action, and it was a little edgier than the rest. I love it.
    It usually moves between the 12 and 14 spot with me.
    That's because you blow.
    =))
    LTK is now firmly a top 10 Bond film for me. A decade ago I would have thought someone crazy for putting it there. It's amazing how it's improved for me, because on release I thought it was downright awful.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 17,690
    bondjames wrote: »
    on release I thought it was downright awful.
    Me too. But then I read the Fleming books.... and took advice to try it again...
    \m/
    It's definitely secure in my Top 10 for now. I like TLD as well, but not as much. Sanchez is one of my favorite Bond villains, and Dalton is at his best in LTK imo.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I love TLD, but I guess most don't because clearly it turns to crap in the last half.
    I love TND, but I guess most don't because clearly it turns to crap at the last half.
    I love SP, but I guess most don't because clearly it turns to crap in the last half.
    I love YOLT, but I guess most don't because clearly it turns to crap in the last half.
    etc, etc.... 8-}

Yeah. There's a lot of killjoys out there. Those are all solid to great IMO.