Where would you rank SPECTRE? (no spoilers)

Comments

Hard to say. Gut feeling tells me it's somewhere in the teens, maybe 17 or 18. But the more I think of it, that seems generous. I mentioned this elsewhere, it's a different kind of mediocre than DAD, or the absurdity of MR - more of a missed opportunity than a "what were they thinking?" - though that question too pops in my head. I do know it is easily the lowest ranked Craig film for me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The pre-credits prior to the helicopter is brilliant, the funeral scene with Lucia is also superb (but not the later seduction), waiting for the Rolls is pretty good, arriving at Blofeld HQ & everything up to the end of the meteor scene is also interesting, and Bond/Madeline in the hotel is quite atmospheric. That's about it for me.
  • Mathis1 wrote: »
    The pre-credits sequence, the opening scene with M/C, the whole sequence in Rome, the plane chase, confrontation with Mr. White, fight with Hinx,waiting for the Rolls, meeting Blofeld, torture scene, Driving off with Madeleine. Sorry, couldn't disagree more with you!

I agree with a bunch of this. Hinx was so impressive, and honestly deserved a more dramatic death.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Bottom ...mainly out of anger because these people should have done better.

Watched on bluray but it didn't help. Still crappy on a small screen.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Still at #2 for me.
    It's number two for me too :D
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Flush it down the toilet and cut out the middle man. :))
  • RC7RC7
    Reading constant and damning negativity regard SP makes me feel like I'm in 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', lonely and surrounded by nutters.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    :))

I still have it in my top five.
  • Mathis1 wrote: »
    The pre-credits sequence, the opening scene with M/C, the whole sequence in Rome, the plane chase, confrontation with Mr. White, fight with Hinx,waiting for the Rolls, meeting Blofeld, torture scene, Driving off with Madeleine. Sorry, couldn't disagree more with you!

Agreed. Wholeheartedly.

• bondjames wrote: »
    The pre-credits prior to the helicopter is brilliant, the funeral scene with Lucia is also superb (but not the later seduction), waiting for the Rolls is pretty good, arriving at Blofeld HQ & everything up to the end of the meteor scene is also interesting, and Bond/Madeline in the hotel is quite atmospheric. That's about it for me.

Agree with this, too. SP is imperfect, but there's still so very much to like about it.

RC7 wrote: »
    Reading constant and damning negativity regard SP makes me feel like I'm in 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', lonely and surrounded by nutters.

Hey I'm with you buddy. I feel like I watched a different movie then everybody else.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

Hey I'm with you buddy. I feel like I watched a different movie then everybody else.
    I don't think I've ever seen a movie this polarizing.
  • I liked the film, had fun with it, just not as good as the previous film by the same director.
    Some parts of SP are better than CR & SF IMO.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I liked it ..I did. I'm just angry at Mendes and EoN. It should have been so much more but they seemed to have just given up and IMO it showed. Plus it tarnished the previous efforts and could very well pigeon hole B25 into something totally predictable and boring.

That's why it's 25 for me.

And it's a shame because Mendes's blocking and framing and some of the acting is indeed incredible... so why WHY???!!!

Nothing in DAD is nearly as artful as SP but yet because DAD at least succeeded in my opinion being what it was trying to be it beats SP.

• I felt more threat from the anatomist in Skyfall than I did from Spectre after the first half.
    The first half of Spectre is amazing to me, then it just peters into a garden-variety Bond film where tuxedoes pop up on secret missions, and that's okay, but the drama just emptied out of the story at that point.

And again, that was the easiest escape in a film series that has some pretty easy escapes at times.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,756
    The problem with Spectre is that the whole movie feels like an idea that isn't executed well. The car chase is "an idea". The romance is "an idea". Spectre is "an idea". The snow sequence is "an idea". Too many ideas, with poor execution.

Don't know an official rank but it's out of my top 10.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Solid # 4 for me. Thank you Craig & Mendes!!!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Birdleson wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

For me, most of the scenes you mention are decent (except for the last, that puts me to sleep), but they are minor notes, not enough to get excited about or to anticipate while I'm watching it.

I realize now that there is one moment where Craig comes through for me in the picture. When it dawns on him that Blofeld is addressing him directly during the board meeting. That look of emerging awareness and momentary panic is excellent. That look reminds me of the Craig of old.
    I get where you're coming from. They are minor scenes, true.

I liked L'Americaine because that's one of the few times that I personally saw the Craig of old. He seemed more his old self (including usual blue polo shirt) there and less affected. More natural. Especially when talking to the rat and swilling back the liquor.
    I would rank "SPECTRE" at No. 7 on my list.
  • Tuck91 wrote: »
    Some parts of SP are better than CR & SF IMO.

Of course. Just as QoS' Tosca Sequence is better than most of CR and SF.

• I felt more threat from the anatomist in Skyfall than I did from Spectre after the first half.
    The first half of Spectre is amazing to me, then it just peters into a garden-variety Bond film where tuxedoes pop up on secret missions, and that's okay, but the drama just emptied out of the story at that point.

And again, that was the easiest escape in a film series that has some pretty easy escapes at times.

To me the film only begins petering in the London coda, which feels like a tack-on even more than the Venetian coda in CR. Still, the sequence is not bad, just relatively uninspired and conventional.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I believe I originally ranked it around fifth or sixth place upon first and second viewings, but now, I'd say it's around the back end of my Top 10, if not around the eleventh or twelfth position.
  • It's always amazing to see a Bond film for the first time, totally understandable, but as time goes by it settles into its place in the series, quality-wise.
  • GBFGBF
    It's always amazing to see a Bond film for the first time, totally understandable, but as time goes by it settles into its place in the series, quality-wise.

Well I hope it will grow on me. Right now, it is very near the bottom of my list. I think it is still better than Quantum and DaD but that does not saya lot. I had no great expectations but the film was really boring. The climax was horrible, in fact it was an anticimax. Everyting was way too easy for Bond, especially towards the end of the film. The villain was wasted and the score forgettable. But I really liked the little mouse :-)

Its at no. 7 for me, which I think is fair. Cant wait to see it on blu ray in a few weeks. I don't think its position will change! I do think some criticisms are harsh here. But each to its own. I think DAD is unwatchable, and an insult to the series and will always be bottom of my list. So there ye go!
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 389
    It is the first movie I have watched three times in theatres. I love it, it´s now #3 or #4 and I feel it will be on my Top 8 for a long, long time.
    Of course, I can see some of its flaws and missed opportunities, but I don´t understand such a mixed and divided reaction. It is entertaining, arty, well performed, it has an interesting political sub-plot and it has all the key ingredients of a classic Bond film... I can´t wait for the BD!
  • It's an awesome first half that descents into Bond tropes that today's audience find contrived. I like Bond so I can accept it, but this story loses its steam.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I still don't see this wonderful first section that so many others do. Unless we've come to see "not bad" as greatness.

That is how I feel about DAD. Awful from start to finish.