Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• The A Team
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 12,258
    Dr. Strangelove (1964) and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975). The former is one of my all-time favorites!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST is pretty great, but the last time I watched it, it occurred to me that the scenes that were not form the novel, such as the boat trip and the Christmas party, really drag the film down. Those parts are simply padding, it's failed humor. The rest of the film is excellent.

Actually I feel the exact same way. A very well-made picture overall, but probably not one I'd rewatch a lot either. I think Nicholson's greatest performance I've seen still belongs to Chinatown for being so multi-layered, but this is close.
    Have to check those out actually. My personal favorites from him are As Good as It Gets, Batman, Chinatown, and The Shining.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 12,258
    I wish Nicholson or Pacino had won back in 74/75 for Best Actor. Then again I didn't see the other performances so I'm not the right one to judge.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I could never give a crap about awards. Politics.

Fair enough. There have been more than enough snubs to discredit the Academy. I just like what I like
    :)>-
    30 Days of Night - after all that Vampire Diaries and Twilight from my daughters it was nice to see a vampire movie again with them as heartless basterds. Good movie.

Mr Holmes - What a brilliant& charming little movie that does the Sherlock Holmes series a great service.

Hondo - John Waynes 3D western, what a good little movie about such a big subject. John Ford actually shot the conclusion/ending as the primary director had other business to attend to.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Yesterday I watched 'Police Academy' (1984) for the very first time. I simultaneously watched it for the very last time. Quite possibly the least funny alleged "comedy" I have ever had the misfortune of seeing. Truly dreadful! (NB: The only reason I watched it is because it's part of a DVD box set I bought ages ago as it was going very cheap. It's titled 'Best Films Of The 80's'. How's that for a misnomer!)
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Watched the original Taking of Pelham 123 this afternoon for the first time (the dvd had been sitting on my shelf for years). Very entertaining film with excellent performances from Walter Matthau, Robert Shaw and Martin Balsam. Some of the acting from the supporting cast is a little cheesy but it was nice to see old Tee Hee pop up as the police Inspector.

Love the dated 70s theme as well, which really emphasises the "pulpy" feeling of the film.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Yesterday I watched 'Police Academy' (1984) for the very first time. I simultaneously watched it for the very last time. Quite possibly the least funny alleged "comedy" I have ever had the misfortune of seeing. Truly dreadful! (NB: The only reason I watched it is because it's part of a DVD box set I bought ages ago as it was going very cheap. It's titled 'Best Films Of The 80's'. How's that for a misnomer!)

Agreed. Only suitable for those below the age of 12. Otherwise. Not funny.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Agreed. Only suitable for those below the age of 12. Otherwise. Not funny.

I like the shots The Simpsons make towards Police Academy.

"When Marge told me she was joining the police academy I thought it would be fun and exciting like that movie...Spaceballs. But instead it was painful and disturbing like that movie Police Academy"

(Homer yelling at Bart for shoplifting)
    "We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For FUN?? Well I didn't hear anybody laughing? DID YOU???"

:))
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    :))
  • @quantumofsolace Agreed completely!! I saw it for the first time fairly recently too- after graduating from an actual Police Academy. I thought maybe if nothing else I'd enjoy it on a different level than most. Nope- it was a chore to sit through. How they managed to piss out five (or was it more?) of those dumb movies, I'll never know :-&
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    MI 2&3, :)
    Monster House (2006). I remember not liking this the first time I saw it, but 10 years later, I decided to give it a re-watch, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's not an exceptional kids/family film, but there are certain attributes about it I think were well done. DJ is kind of a dull protagonist, but the surrounding characters were plenty interesting. A decent directorial debut for Gil Kenan; I sincerely hope he does a good job with the film adaptation of Five Nights at Freddy's. That has potential.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Escape From New York - Always liked this movie. Russell is excellent as Snake Plissken. Not a fan of "................LA" though.
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015) Top flick...........
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    In the cinema, Dad's Army, took my son and we both enjoyed it immensely. For me Michael Gambon stole the show, and KZJ looked gorgeous in her Forties fashions.
    Oh, and…they don't like it up 'em!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 40,454
    I saw 'Inside Llewyn Davis' for the first time a couple of days ago - was pretty solid, though a little slow and not exactly what I had expected. However, it was still good. Re-watched 'Misery' (having not seen it in many years), and damn, some of those scenes are tough to watch. If you've seen it, you know which ones I'm talking about in particular. Just finished up my second viewing of 'Manhunter' this morning, too; I had seen every other 'Hannibal' film but this one for the longest time until I finally caught it a year or so ago and really enjoyed it, minus some of those odd camera cuts that really mar the finale for me. Tom Noonan is one of my favorites, though, and he nails the role of Dollarhyde very well.

I also finally watched my 'Sicario' blu-ray copy yesterday, and I may have changed my mind: this may be the best cinematography I've seen this year. Deakins shines as usual and it took me seeing it in true 1080p to realize just how many beautiful, breath-taking shots are in this one.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @Creasy47 I just came back home after buying the blu ray for 'Sicario'. Your comment makes me all pumped up to watch the film!
    @Creasy47 I just came back home after buying the blu ray for 'Sicario'. Your comment makes me all pumped up to watch the film!

I knew you'd get your hands on it soon enough! I can't stop raving about it and recommending it to everyone: the plot and pacing, the acting and characters, Deakins' beautiful cinematography, the haunting score, the brutal reality of it all, it's such a fine film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @quantumofsolace Agreed completely!! I saw it for the first time fairly recently too- after graduating from an actual Police Academy. I thought maybe if nothing else I'd enjoy it on a different level than most. Nope- it was a chore to sit through. How they managed to piss out five (or was it more?) of those dumb movies, I'll never know :-&

There were eight of them, and if anyone thinks the first was bad, try watching the last few.
    City of Ember (2008). Mediocre.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Red 2 :
    A fun popcorn movie, a mix of action and comedy.
    Red 2 :

I still haven't seen either of these, but I'm always up for a fun popcorn movie. I'll have to check them both out in the near future. I love the cast.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Red 2 :

Only saw the first, but that was fun. Stupid, but fun.
    Just watched 'Mad Max: Fury Road' yet again, the second time in less than a week. This film is one of my favorites of all time, comparable to GE in that I can watch it at any time and not get tired of it at all. Flawless filmmaking, every aspect of it is expertly crafted and wildly impressive each and every single time.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Sicario 2015

In the course of an FBI SWAT raid of suspected kidnappers in Chandler, Arizona, naive but well intentioned agent Kate Macer (Emily Blunt), her partner Reggie Wayne (Daniel Kaluuya), and their team happen on a gruesome discovery, hidden within the walls of the house, dozens of corpses. In the process they accidentally trigger an improvised explosive device and two of the agents are killed. Not long after Kate's boss, Dave Jennings (Victor Garber), recommends her to Matt Graver (Josh Brolin), a CIA Special Activities Division undercover officer and Department of Defense adviser leading a team of Delta Force operators Graver's team also includes ambiguous advisor Alejandro Gillick (Benicio Del Toro), Kate volunteers to join the team not really knowing entirely it's motivations.

As she becomes embroiled in this shadowy world and descends into a world of uncertainty, she is wanting to make a mark and make a difference in the war on drugs but her curiosity gets the better of her, even when she knows she should get out. It's only when she realises the real reason she is among this group and the truth of the enigmatic Alejandro, though by this time it's too late and her thirst for answers puts her in a situation that she would never have expected.

French director Denis Villeneuve is fast becoming one of the hottest new directors around, his previous two films the both well received Prisoners and Enemy signalled his talent on the hollywood circuit. Already a academy nominee in his own language for 2011's Incendies. Sicario though has almost been universally acclaimed and is his strongest english language film yet. The opening sequence that reveals the gruesome discovery is expertly handled and the tension is building from the opening and it never really lets up till the final frame, a sense of unease is imbued throughout.

It almost seems redundant mentioning Roger Deakins but what the hell I'm going to. From the moment you see his name on the credits of any film despite the content you know you are going to see something extraordinary from a visual stand point. Deakins the regular on and off DP for the Coen Brothers also finds other directors requesting his talents. His relationship with Sam Mendes gave us the huge treat of seeing what he could do with a big screen blockbuster and what a result. His work on Mendes first foray into the James Bond series was a sight to behold, Deakins added a element to 2013's Skyfall rarely seen in a Bond film for years. After a recent return to the brothers his next assignment is a return to Villeneuve for highly anticipated Bladerunner 2 no less.

Anyway I digress, Deakins work here is spectacular, the landscapes whether they be barren terrain or a populated city pull you into the film and the closing climatic sequence that leads up to the shocking and brutal denouncement both director and cinematographer tap into the danger and leave the viewer stirred and thrilled. Johann Johannsson's pounding but unobtrusive score accompanies the images effectively and invests the stunning visuals with an ominous soundscape.

Of course we can't forget the actors, Blunt makes a good fist of her role.
    Her character does seem a little too helpless at times and she is really despite supposedly being the lead is really your in to this, as soon as he arrives on screen this is Del Toro's film and it is his character that you are more drawn to. The rest of the cast are fine in there supporting roles but Benicio dominates. It's no coincidence that this reminds you of his Oscar winning role in Traffic, Sicario most definitely has taken inspiration from Steven Soderbergh's masterpiece.

Not necessarily a sequel but maybe a film about Alejandro would be a tantalising prospect, the film certainly teases an intriguing back story that could be explored. Sicario begs to be seen, a pulse pounding and thrilling piece of cinema with cast and crew pulling out all the stops to deliver an unforgettable experience.

5/5
  • The Naked Gun.
  • John Wick great action movie, been wanting to watch this for some tine though never got round to it until it appeared on sky. This is a fun movie in the tradition of old school action films. TomorrowLand Had good moments though aspects of the film did not sit right with me, also the visuals are hit and miss.