Bond movie ranking (Simple list, no details)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Mathis1, if you truly are a Bond fan, then I refuse to believe there's not one single thing about DAD that you enjoy. A certain line? A particular kill? One scene in question? Perhaps the sword fight or Zao vs. Bond ice chase, which many seem to at least enjoy? There's gotta be one thing.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Mathis1, if you truly are a Bond fan, then I refuse to believe there's not one single thing about DAD that you enjoy. A certain line? A particular kill? One scene in question? Perhaps the sword fight or Zao vs. Bond ice chase, which many seem to at least enjoy? There's gotta be one thing.

Yea I kinda agree ..think hard.... there is at least one scene where the Bond theme played or a more subtle moment like when Bond unplugged the camera sneaking into the clinic. That short scene reminded me of Moonraker music and all.

Bond gritting his teeth during the tense tsunami surfing scene
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    vzok wrote: »

That scene alone earned six Oscars, I believe.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Poor Pierce, having to do that in front of a green screen. The laugh he bursts into during his EoN documentary interview while recalling that scene is priceless!
    vzok wrote: »

That scene alone earned six Oscars, I believe.

Yes priceless. Umm we're not really arguing our case very well :(
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The sword fight was one of the best man-to-man set pieces in the series IMHO.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Agreed. Probably my favourite part of the film.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Agreed. Probably my favourite part of the film.

Yes very impressive. The clinic scene where Bond whacks that jerk later pushing him in the wheelchair stuck in my mind too.

You know that scene and the body disposal in the trash bin in TWINE are two of those forgotten shock scenes that I usually associate with Craig's first two Bonds.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I always liked Graves' OTT entrance outside Buckingham Palace and the action at the clinic (even Jinx is tolerable here).
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Birdleson wrote: »
    My favorite is the firing squad.
    That's a great one, especially with arguably one of the best Arnold queues playing alongside it.

Regarding Jinx, I never minded her. Halle does fine with the material she's given.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    My favorite is the firing squad.

Forgot that part.
    We should turn this into Die Another Day Appreciation Thread.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    This proves my point from another thread, where I mentioned yesterday that DAD likely has quite a few more admirers than publicly let on.
    I'll let on to enjoying it a lot.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,595
    This DAD appreciation warms my heart.

Anyways, my favorite moments would be the Firing Squad, Bond breaking out and walking into that hotel, and for action the sword fight is great.

Obviously I like other parts, those are just my favorite moments. The TB reference with the grape always makes me chuckle. It's a bit more tasteful and subtle than some of the other ones. Hell, I like that whole clinic sequence really.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I enjoyed the firing squad in CR 67 more.
    Woody Allen has some of the funniest lines in the whole film there.
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    While DAD is far from my favorite Bond film, in terms of entertainment value, I rate it higher than both GE and TWINE.
    I enjoyed the firing squad in CR 67 more.

I have a very low threshold of death.
    My doctor says I can't have bullets enter my body at any time.....

I think its unfair to say that I am not a Bond fan if I don't enjoy something out of DAD. Its precisely that I AM a Bond fan that I loathe it so much! To me it was like one of those wannabe Bond films like XXX, just because it had all the ingredients of a Bond film, I felt it did them ALL badly! No, the swordfight I thought was terrible, all that Errol Flynn type acrobatics just grated, the opening with the firing squad should have been tense, but Brossa bad acting and silly make up just made it unintentionally funny. Someone mentioned Rosamund Pike, but I think she was rather stilted here, she has improved greatly since. Berry was awful, and had some terrible lines. Graves was just a shallow cartoon foe (much like Carver in TND, another rubbish villain). On first viewing I did like the opening surfing scene, pretty cool, but I've cooled towards it since, and I always love Daniel Kleinmans work, but I hated the idea of using real action in with the usual visuals.
    (And you cant watch the titles without the theme tune, and Madonnas utterly dire warbling here makes it impossible!). So I am afraid I wont be going along with what seems to be a new liking of DAD ( Looking back it does seem to be the most common last entry on most lists,so I'm a bit puzzled by the new found love?).
    Oh, and I would rather watch CR 67 any day than endure another viewing of DAD!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Mathis1, DAD was indeed the XXX/Austin P of Bond films, as I've said before.

I think that was by design though, given that was the direction which was popular at the time. Poke fun and caricaturize the template as it were.

I find it highly entertaining, just like XXX, but one shouldn't critically assess it - it's on that front that it fails, as does DAF, to a lesser extent.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I think its unfair to say that I am not a Bond fan if I don't enjoy something out of DAD. Its precisely that I AM a Bond fan that I loathe it so much! To me it was like one of those wannabe Bond films like XXX, just because it had all the ingredients of a Bond film, I felt it did them ALL badly! No, the swordfight I thought was terrible, all that Errol Flynn type acrobatics just grated, the opening with the firing squad should have been tense, but Brossa bad acting and silly make up just made it unintentionally funny. Someone mentioned Rosamund Pike, but I think she was rather stilted here, she has improved greatly since. Berry was awful, and had some terrible lines. Graves was just a shallow cartoon foe (much like Carver in TND, another rubbish villain). On first viewing I did like the opening surfing scene, pretty cool, but I've cooled towards it since, and I always love Daniel Kleinmans work, but I hated the idea of using real action in with the usual visuals.
    (And you cant watch the titles without the theme tune, and Madonnas utterly dire warbling here makes it impossible!). So I am afraid I wont be going along with what seems to be a new liking of DAD ( Looking back it does seem to be the most common last entry on most lists,so I'm a bit puzzled by the new found love?).
    Oh, and I would rather watch CR 67 any day than endure another viewing of DAD!

Outside one Woody Allen scene THAT film is horrible and not a Bond film.

Only thing is that TWINE heisted the gadgets from CR 67 it seems.

Sorry there are just a lot of Bondian elements in DAD so it's hard for me to just dismiss it.
    Fair points, and Bond films do go up in down depending on your mood. But the fact is I have NEVER enjoyed watching it from beginning to end (and the most recent viewing I didn't even make it to the end!) so it is highly unlikely I will ever re-evaluate it! Sorry folks! I make no apology, its a bad Bond film, and I'm hoping we never see its like again)
    Interesting, before the Brossa era, I would have put DAF at the bottom of my list. I always found it a bit of slog, and Connery rather lazy, and don't get me started on Charles Grays Blofeld in drag! But I would still watch it, and enjoy certain scenes!
    Fair points, and Bond films do go up in down depending on your mood. But the fact is I have NEVER enjoyed watching it from beginning to end (and the most recent viewing I didn't even make it to the end!) so it is highly unlikely I will ever re-evaluate it! Sorry folks! I make no apology, its a bad Bond film, and I'm hoping we never see its like again)
    Interesting, before the Brossa era, I would have put DAF at the bottom of my list. I always found it a bit of slog, and Connery rather lazy, and don't get me started on Charles Grays Blofeld in drag! But I would still watch it, and enjoy certain scenes!

Fair points. I appreciate your opinion.
    Cheers, mcdonbb!
    Cheers, mcdonbb!
    Anti-cheers here sir. DAD is fine entertainment, if not nearly the best Bond.
    :-$
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    I thought I would get a lot of criticism for putting DAD ahead of every one of Connery's films. I guess we are all different.
    Cheers, mcdonbb!
    Cheers, mcdonbb!

My comment was respecting his opinion. I don't share the same opinion however. I actually like DAD minus the often mentioned criticisms.

It's just a mostly fun OTT Bond film.
    Anthrax wrote: »
    I thought I would get a lot of criticism for putting DAD ahead of every one of Connery's films. I guess we are all different.

What is your favourite band? You should send them a letter.