Top 3 Favourite Scenes of a Bond Movie: Final Results

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @royale65, it wasn't exactly the same. Grant did bid, but in order to draw attention to himself and allow himself to be captured by the police rather than Van Damme's men, who were closing in.

In both films, the bids had an ulterior motive.

I should have said that OP's scene was likely inspired by NbNW, just like some scenes in FRWL.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Thanks for that. Which reminds me, I'll have buy a few of the 'ol Hitchcock classics.
  • 1- 009 heroic effort to deliver the egg
    2- "For God sake Octopussy tell him who I am"
    3-Bond's fight vs numerous henchmen in Octopussy' quarters

• Op is filled with great scenes, and is one of my favorites, difficult decisions.

1. The Action scene in op's palace
    2. The pts
    3. Bond and op
  • Looking at your answers gentlemen reminds me how very good that movie is
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,595
    Octopussy

1. Backgammon.
    2. Entire train sequence (including Bond+Orlov as Birdleson mentioned)
    3. Defusing the bomb.

This is tough. First one I've attempted. Hard to pick just 3.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    1. Rooftop train sequence with Gobinda
    2.Yo-Yo thug fight sequence.
    3. Jungle chase.
    Hard to pick 3, I love the pts, the theme song and titles,Peter Lamonts brilliant War room set, the auction scene, 007 diffusing the bomb at the circus, the Mercedes on the track, and the subsequent train action, Bond chasing the plane on horseback and the thrilling finale on the outside of the plane! All time high indeed!
    1) PTS
    2) racing to the circus, and subsequent bomb diffuse
    3) Bond confronting Orlov on the train
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    3) "That's my little Octopussy." (My inner child still gets a chuckle from this. Can't be helped.)
    2) Orlov presenting his plan to the other Generals. (I love how over the top he is.)
    1) Bond confronting Orlov on the train/subsequent shootout. (One of Moore's finest moments.)
    1. Train sequence.
    2. PTS.
    3. Finale on the plane.
    I remember this film stood out for me during my last Bondathon (pre-SP). One of the things that I recall was that it was very charismatic. Everyone just felt larger than life in that old-school Bond way. I hope they find a way to recapture that going forward. There are no shortage of memorable scenes and characters in this film.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I've just come fresh from a thread bemoaning how the current Bonds lean so heavily on the nostalgia and past references crutch and here we have a film that is jam packed with classic scene after classic scene and not a DB5 or nod to Connery in sight.

Practically impossible to narrow it down to three but I'll have a crack:

1. From the moment Bond arrives in Berlin to the defusing of the bomb:- Absolute top notch Bond. I think the only thing I would lose is the gorilla suit and when such a tiny adjustment is the only thing you'd alter in half an hour of screen time you must be onto something special.

2. The PTS:- Again pretty close to perfect in every sense. A bit of spy stuff, a tasty bird, a gadget, some great action and stunt work (supplemented by proper old fashioned practical effects not wanky CGI) rounded off by a nice quip. Lovely stuff.

3. The backgammon scene:- Could very easily have been written by Fleming himself and Rog just owns the scene. And I for one am not going to apologise for chortling every time I hear 'That'll keep you in curry for a few weeks'.

But there are so many others that could be in there: the death of 009, the auction, pretty much every scene featuring Orlov, the dinner scene, the final outrageous outside of the plane fight (again, almost unbelievably in this day and age, done without a single CGI shot).

And Rog is absolutely unsurpassable throughout. Would be nice to see how Dalton handled the tension of the Germany scenes and perhaps his intensity might have sold the threat even more but Rog more than delivers and could Dalton deliver 'Fill her up' with the same panache? I think not.

Christ OP is a glorious romp of a Bond film and Rog's best for me.
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    1. PTS
    2. The twins killing 009
    3. Bond scaring away two guards
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    A glorious romp hey? I second that. OP is probably my most viewed Bondian epic. After GF, of course. OP has everything for everyone!
    Absolutely something for all Bond fans. regarding the gorilla suit. yeh, its daft, but I love the moment they confirm the time of the bomb going off, and Moore in the gorilla costume checks his watch. Always makes me smile!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I love the moment they confirm the time of the bomb going off, and Moore in the gorilla costume checks his watch. Always makes me smile!
    It's such an obvious thing to do in that moment that even though it's silly when looked at from a distance, it just works for the scene.
  • - That wild final chase
    - Everything with Steven Berkoff
    - "Sit!"
  • 1. Bond defuses a nuclear warhead, dressed in a clown suit.
    2. Auction scene
    3. Orlov and Gogol's ham to ham combat.

Honorable mention: The death of 009
    - That wild final chase
    - Everything with Steven Berkoff
    - "Sit!"

Car chase on railroads?
    The last 50 minutes or was it the last hour of Octopussy is just pure adrenaline. So many amazing stunts aswell
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    A great film spoiled by some silly bits
    1. Pursuit and killing of 009
    2. Final chase and punch-up atop plane
    3. Magda's balcony exit - wow!

All-in-all too many good scenes to put only three, but those are mine.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,447
    1. India
    2. Germany (Circus / Fight on the train)
    3. Pre-title / 009

Not easy for my 10/11th favorite Bond movie.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Impossible to decide, OP is fantastic from beginning to end (#2 on my fav list)!
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,984
    1. The entire chase with the Mercedes Benz and the train right up to "that was for 009" - Pretty tense and absolutely amazing stuntwork/action.
    2. The stuntwork on the plane during the finale - Doesn't exactly look the most convincing but it's incredible stuntwork nonetheless.
    3. Bond winning at backgammon without even looking.

Honorable mentions to the palace fight and the yo-yo fight. Then those are followed by the pretitle, 009's death, Bond spying on Kamal Khan through the egg, and the auctioning at Sotheby's.
    1. Dinner with Kamal.
    2. Backgammon scene
    These 2 scenes are my favorites simply because of the chemistry Roger and Louis Jordan have with eachother.
    3. The entire train scene
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    In chronological order:

- PTS aerial stunt
    - 003 being hunted and stumbling into British Embassy in W-Germany
    - Sotheby's scene. Pure Fleming.

Needless to say I feel the 1st half of OP is far better than the 2nd. But still such a heartwarming Bond film.
    Too many great moments to choose from here. Hard to understand why Octopussy features so low down Bond ranking lists, in spite of a few silly moments.

1. Acrostar - great PTS with the excellent turning escape into the completion of his mission by blowing up the hangar.
    2. Double sixes...fancy that. - the whole backgammon scene is great especially that moment of victory without looking at the dice, pure 007.
    3. Go out and get him......Out there?? - The aerial fight at the end is eye popping action
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Acrostar escape from hangar and subsequent gas station pun
    Bond and Gobinda fight on top of the plane
    Bond in a phone queue
  • JNOJNO Finland
    1. PTS
    2. The auction scene
    3. The backgammon scene
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Bond in a phone queue

"Mein auto! Mein auto!"