Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just watched it again tonight, and what an entertaining entry this one is. Very enjoyable.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Just watched it again tonight, and what an entertaining entry this one is. Very enjoyable.

I hope Joe Kraemer gets some awards from someone, somewhere for his work. He completely out-Bonded Newman this time round.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Currently watched this, and thought it was a great movie. Enjoyable for sure.

I hope Joe Kraemer gets some awards from someone, somewhere for his work. He completely out-Bonded Newman this time round.[/quote]

Even Pemberton's U.N.C.L.E. score out Bonded Newman.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I just learnt something in my car today. I accidentally tuned into a station playing some classical music. The announcer was discussing Turandot, Puccini's Opera, which played during that great scene in the film. Unbeknownst to me previously, I learnt this Opera is actually set in China.

I always wondered how this film had the Chinese co-financing and yet featured few Chinese actors (I'm not unhappy about this though, because I'm generally against pressure to cast local actors to appease financiers or local authorities at filming locations). Now I realize that the opera itself was a sort of nod to the Chinese.
    delfloria wrote: »

I hope Joe Kraemer gets some awards from someone, somewhere for his work. He completely out-Bonded Newman this time round.

Even Pemberton's U.N.C.L.E. score out Bonded Newman.

[/quote]

Yeah, just watched RN on Blu-ray after seeing it in the cinema last July, and I reckon they should get Kraemer to score the next Bond.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    bondjames wrote: »
    I just learnt something in my car today. I accidentally tuned into a station playing some classical music. The announcer was discussing Turandot, Puccini's Opera, which played during that great scene in the film. Unbeknownst to me previously, I learnt this Opera is actually set in China.

I always wondered how this film had the Chinese co-financing and yet featured few Chinese actors (I'm not unhappy about this though, because I'm generally against pressure to cast local actors to appease financiers or local authorities at filming locations). Now I realize that the opera itself was a sort of nod to the Chinese.

I thought the costumes were pretty blatant in that scene.
    Sark wrote: »

I thought the costumes were pretty blatant in that scene.
    You know, I've seen this film 3 times and I never even noticed that. Given it's an Italian opera I just assumed it must entirely be Italian, and I was primarily mesmerized by the proceedings involving all the protagonists unfolding on the screen. I must check that out next time.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Ross-Mission-Impossibles-Excellent-Opera-Scene-1200-630-11115138.jpg

Here's a picture (you can see it more clearly in the film) where the singer is wearing Mandarin (as in government official, not the language) attire. Or at least an opera's interpretation of Mandarin attire.

You may also find this article interesting: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/finally-a-non-embarrassing-classical-music-scene-in-a-blockbuster-movie
  • RC7RC7

The opera isn't something to pacify the financiers, it was just coincidence that it was the opera that was taking place when they were shooting. However, it's interesting to note that McQuarrie serendipitously weaved some thematics into it. He thought the idea of an Italian opera set in China and performed in Austria, while seemingly incongruous, had very subtle ties to the idea of vanishing empires (Roman, Chinese, Austrian) which ties into Lane's vision.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RC7 wrote: »

The opera isn't something to pacify the financiers, it was just coincidence that it was the opera that was taking place when they were shooting. However, it's interesting to note that McQuarrie serendipitously weaved some thematics into it. He thought the idea of an Italian opera set in China and performed in Austria, while seemingly incongruous, had very subtle ties to the idea of vanishing empires (Roman, Chinese, Austrian) which ties into Lane's vision.

Wooooooooooooow.

giphy.gif
    You lot are too ingenuitive when it comes to dissecting film. I see a movie like this and think "Cool, explosions! Ahh, the characters are great, and did you see that gunfight?" while you all come up with in-depth meanings behind films. I've never had a knack for that.

Nice.
    Amazing. Truly amazing. I knew that some of the train stuff in MI-1 must have been real, because when I watched it recently it sure looked that way.
    I have decided for mission impossible 6 my hope in terms of story is well something similar to this

Mission Impossible: Fallout

After the capture of the head of the syndicate Ethan Hunt and his crew must stop the remainder of the syndicate before they utilize their skills to move two are and even more dangerous goal then before.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    God, I love that man. It's funny how as he gets older his stunt work only gets crazier and more copious. For the majority of actors with the stones to do stunts, this is obviously the opposite. I respect the hell out of him for giving the audience a show each and every time we see his films.
    Wrapping up my M:I marathon now. Why is it that it's believed the Syndicate is a figment of Ethan's imagination in RN when the mission given to Ethan and his team members at the end of Ghost Protocol is to track the Syndicate. Obviously they had some form of intel or evidence to initially prove their existence, therefore resulting in the mission being greenlit.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 I am going to do a 'Mission Impossible' marathon soon. I'm in an action/adventure mood lately, I've spent the whole day today watching Liam Neeson flicks - check the 'last movie you've watched' for my reviews! I'll maybe switch to Jason Statham badassery tomorrow before turning to Tom Cruise's epic stunts.
    @Creasy47, good point. Damned if I know. I do like seeing the balls Bird and co. had to plant an idea for #5 that actually got carried through, though.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Does MI:IV begin shooting this summer?
    talos7 wrote: »
    Does MI:IV begin shooting this summer?

It was released in cinemas in 2011 @talos7

M:I VI, however, is due to come out in 2017.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 8,038
    double post
    talos7 wrote: »
    Ha! indeed, my error, yes VI, or 6 :) Thanks @tanaka123

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Notice anything similar?
    CcvV9RIW0AEeQiC.jpg
    CcvV5_rW8AEVnkz.jpg
    Something ties them together.
    My tailor, Saville Row
    If they were to EVER do an Ethan Hunt / James Bond crossover, MI:6 would be the film to do it! ;)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    After watching both MI:RN and SP both last week, my question is how the hell did the plots end up so similar? IMF dissolving as well as the 00 program. Attacks on various areas from an unknown organization. Bond and Hunt both ending up rogue with their respective governments trying to bring them back in. Even the locations, Austria, Morocco, London.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    God, I love that man. It's funny how as he gets older his stunt work only gets crazier and more copious. For the majority of actors with the stones to do stunts, this is obviously the opposite. I respect the hell out of him for giving the audience a show each and every time we see his films.

+1