SPECTRE - Awards Chatter, Nominations and Results

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Don't get me wrong, I hate that song from the new Fast & Furious, but I just figured it was popular enough and had an emotional connection to it that it was bound to win. Pretty surprised that it didn't even find itself nominated, and WOTW did.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 2,081
    I wish we had proper awards talk here, but since we don't I've spent the past few weeks elsewhere (and will do so the next few weeks as well). Feels a bit weird to comment on this thread about any of this, but...
    On a more selfish note, it's a wonderful year for the Irish at the Oscars this year. A special congratulations in particular to Lenny Abrahamson for his nod for Room.

Oh yes, well done the Irish. =D> I haven't seen many other nominated films, either, yet - some I don't even want to, but most I do want to see - but at least I know when they'll be coming to my neck of the woods (even before the Oscar night, woohoo). Those two though, I don't even have official release dates for either :( and I really want to see them. I hope the Oscar noms help (not that they always do) and they at least get here.

About Lenny Abrahamson's nomination... By the time they got to directors in the announcements, I was already so giddy that when the first name was said (Adam McKay) I just went "wheeeeeee!!!" and after the second (George Miller) I must have momentarily lost consciousness from all the accumulated I-can't-believe-this-is-happening bliss that the rest of the names didn't really register. I was reading the nominations list after the live announcements, and it was "yes... yes... yes... yes... whaaaaat? wait a minute who's not here then?" Indeed, no Scott (he got DGA and BAFTA), no Spielberg (BAFTA), no Haynes (BAFTA), but Abrahamson. Wow. I don't know his work at all, so can't comment, but just wow. Apparently not many saw that one coming.
    (It took me a bit longer to realize what had happened in the screenplay categories... I didn't really care if Tarantino or Sorkin got nominated in their respective categories, so it was only when people started whining about them being snubbed that I took another look at those...)

Um, yes, off topic, I know, I'll shut up now and get my ass outta here.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 11,119
    "Writing's On The Wall" is slowly becoming a frontrunner in the "Original Song" category. On the 21st of December "Writing's On The Wall" also won the SLFCA-Award from the St. Louis Film Critics' Association, thus winning from Lady GaGa's "Til It Happens To You and "Simple Song #3" from "Youth":

http://www.imdb.com/event/ev0001983/2015?ref_=ttawd_ev_11
    http://variety.com/2015/film/in-contention/oscars-predictions-best-original-song-1201601076/
  • RC7RC7
    Tuulia wrote: »
    I wish we had proper awards talk here, but since we don't I've spent the past few weeks elsewhere (and will do so the next few weeks as well). Feels a bit weird to comment on this thread about any of this, but...
    On a more selfish note, it's a wonderful year for the Irish at the Oscars this year. A special congratulations in particular to Lenny Abrahamson for his nod for Room.

Oh yes, well done the Irish. =D> I haven't seen many other nominated films, either, yet - some I don't even want to, but most I do want to see - but at least I know when they'll be coming to my neck of the woods (even before the Oscar night, woohoo). Those two though, I don't even have official release dates for either :( and I really want to see them. I hope the Oscar noms help (not that they always do) and they at least get here.

About Lenny Abrahamson's nomination... By the time they got to directors in the announcements, I was already so giddy that when the first name was said (Adam McKay) I just went "wheeeeeee!!!" and after the second (George Miller) I must have momentarily lost consciousness from all the accumulated I-can't-believe-this-is-happening bliss that the rest of the names didn't really register. I was reading the nominations list after the live announcements, and it was "yes... yes... yes... yes... whaaaaat? wait a minute who's not here then?" Indeed, no Scott (he got DGA and BAFTA), no Spielberg (BAFTA), no Haynes (BAFTA), but Abrahamson. Wow. I don't know his work at all, so can't comment, but just wow. Apparently not many saw that one coming.
    (It took me a bit longer to realize what had happened in the screenplay categories... I didn't really care if Tarantino or Sorkin got nominated in their respective categories, so it was only when people started whining about them being snubbed that I took another look at those...)

Abrahamson is brilliant. You should watch Frank.

Look at page 2 of this topic ;-). Plentiful Awards chatter from my side ;-).
  • RC7RC7
    There's nothing really to talk about. The only good to come from awards is that someone like Abrahamson will be able to court a bigger budget for his next film, for the rest of them it's just the usual procession of hand shandies.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I hate that song from the new Fast & Furious, but I just figured it was popular enough and had an emotional connection to it that it was bound to win. Pretty surprised that it didn't even find itself nominated, and WOTW did.

I sometimes am a bit disappointed that people think that the Oscars by default choose bad items in a particular category. For instance, with "Original Song", we should be happy that such a godawful rap/R&B-thing didn't make the cut.

"Writing's On The Wall" is no "Skyfall" if you ask me, but it's one of the best 'growers' I've heard from the Bond franchise. It's up there with other slow-tempo orchestrated entries like "You Only Live Twice", "Moonraker", "The Look Of Love", "From Russia With Love" and "We Have All The Time In The World".
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 709
    Amusingly, Tom Hardy was considered a surprise supporting nomination...apparently taking the nomination that was supposed to go to one Idris Elba. (Anyone heard of him?) :))
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Amusingly, Tom Hardy was considered a surprise supporting nomination...apparently taking the nomination that was supposed to go to one Idris Elba. (Anyone heard of him?) :))

I hope Mark Rylance will win this category. Such a wunderful quiet and understated performance in "Bridge Of Spies".
  • dinovelvet wrote: »

I hope Mark Rylance will win this category. Such a wunderful quiet and understated performance in "Bridge Of Spies".

STALLONE. The only choice.

I sometimes am a bit disappointed that people think that the Oscars by default choose bad items in a particular category. For instance, with "Original Song", we should be happy that such a godawful rap/R&B-thing didn't make the cut.

"Writing's On The Wall" is no "Skyfall" if you ask me, but it's one of the best 'growers' I've heard from the Bond franchise. It's up there with other slow-tempo orchestrated entries like "You Only Live Twice", "Moonraker", "The Look Of Love", "From Russia With Love" and "We Have All The Time In The World".

And again, I love the song, but I would say the majority of people seemed to not care for it, from what I saw online. So, I didn't expect even a nomination.
    OHMSS not being nominated for score is the biggest snub ever in Oscar history
    Oh and 'We have all the time in the world' for song
    Not being nominated is not a snub--it is not being nominated. If it is a snub, then everything not nominated was snubbed, which means everything should be nominated to avoid snubbery. But then everyone would say their choice to win was snubbed because it didn't win. Oh, hell, give everything an award just like the kids on the losing team, all of whom get trophies because they tried. I was in a film this past week--please send me an award.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Not being nominated is not a snub--it is not being nominated. If it is a snub, then everything not nominated was snubbed, which means everything should be nominated to avoid snubbery. But then everyone would say their choice to win was snubbed because it didn't win. Oh, hell, give everything an award just like the kids on the losing team, all of whom get trophies because they tried. I was in a film this past week--please send me an award.

Haha, Nicely put :)
    I thought this was a Spectre thread... hmm... anyway...
    RC7 wrote: »

Abrahamson is brilliant. You should watch Frank.

Frank has been on my huge list of movies to watch, I just haven't gotten there, yet.
    dinovelvet wrote: »

It pretty much was. Though it was always a possibility - DiCaprio's coat tails and all that, sure has happened before, so... Certainly one of the many nominations that made me happy. I don't expect him to win, but a nomination is nice.

Then there are others where I don't expect the person to win, either, but it's not a case of hey, cool, a nomination, look at that, how fun... I mean, Roger Deakins - his 13th nomination I think. And people are like DiCaprio is owed one. (And I like the guy, but, seriously...) Meanwhile, Lawrence is on her 4th nomination at 25, which is ridiculous. --- And, well, Alan Rickman (RIP) never even got a nomination, so it's not like they actually say all that much.... It's a balancing act between really caring on some level (otherwise I'd just ignore it all completely) - it's a bit of fun and games - but eventually really not caring that much.

CrabKey wrote: »

=D>
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited January 2016 Posts: 2,494
    'Writings on the Wall' has been nominated for 'British Artist Video of the Year' at the Brit Awards.

British Artist Video of the Year

Adele, "Hello"
    Calvin Harris & Disciples, "How Deep Is Your Love"
    Ellie Goulding, "Love Me Like You Do"
    Jessie J, "Flashlight"
    Little Mix, "Black Magic"
    Naughty Boy Ft. Beyonce, Arrow Benjamin, "Runnin (Lose It All)"
    One Direction, "Drag Me Down"
    Sam Smith, "Writing's on the Wall"
    Years & Years, "King

I can't see it, or any other nominee beating Adele and her flip phone.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Not at all. Keep going! The place has been dead the last couple of weeks so any happy talk is welcome.

Yes, you should absolutely check out Abrahamson's filmography. He's a wonderful talent. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times as I'm part of the small but growing film community in Dublin. Really nice guy. He made one of my favourite films, "Adam and Paul".

Producer Ed Guiney was talking about the explosion in attention for Room. Since Brie Larson won her Golden Globe and the Oscar nominations came in the amount of screens the film is playing on in the States will increased by 500% which is beyond amazing for an Irish backed film.

So while I'm disappointed Spectre is probably not fairly represented this year, I'm still ecstatic and I think the Academy has done a much better job choosing the nominations this year than in the years immediately previous.

I'm sure Spectre will pick up plenty elsewhere, even if it is for that disappointing song!
    I was properly impressed with Sam Smiths live performance on the Graham Norton show And I do hope him having a similar go at the Oscars, it would liven up the place with all that racism crap going on now. At least they cannot shove Smith among the general population of the white male. >:)

Not at all. Keep going! The place has been dead the last couple of weeks so any happy talk is welcome.

Yes, you should absolutely check out Abrahamson's filmography. He's a wonderful talent. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times as I'm part of the small but growing film community in Dublin. Really nice guy. He made one of my favourite films, "Adam and Paul".

Producer Ed Guiney was talking about the explosion in attention for Room. Since Brie Larson won her Golden Globe and the Oscar nominations came in the amount of screens the film is playing on in the States will increased by 500% which is beyond amazing for an Irish backed film.

So while I'm disappointed Spectre is probably not fairly represented this year, I'm still ecstatic and I think the Academy has done a much better job choosing the nominations this year than in the years immediately previous.

I'm sure Spectre will pick up plenty elsewhere, even if it is for that disappointing song!

Thanks, but if people here were interested they'd have a thread about the awards season (every year), so...

But I can say the Critics' Choice Awards on Sunday produced some adorableness that I'm still grinning at. (I was mostly paying attention to one very relaxed and affectionate group of people, plus one adorable 9-year-old - gotta wish him all he best, it won't necessarily be easy... The rest of the show was mostly just boring as usual.)

Yes, I'll try and see Abrahamson's work - sooner or later. That's great you got to meet him. If you don't mind me asking, do you work on film or plan to (if so, which area of film making?) or is it a hobby? (And apologies if this is something I should already know. And on the other hand I know it's none of my business.)

Yes, the Academy nominated a lot of interesting stuff this time. Next up, the guilds start handing out awards, veeeery interesting. Unusually I'm very interested in lots of movies and lots of categories (most of them, actually), and it's pretty fascinating.

Now the movies just need get over here so that I can go see...

Wonderful to see all the awards that "Mad Max: Fury Road" won last night! NINE Critics' Choice Awards!

--> "Best Action Movie" (previously won by "Skyfall" in 2013)
    --> "Best Actress, Action Movie": Charlize Theron
    --> "Best Actor, Action Movie": Tom Hardy (previously won by Daniel Craig in 2013)
    --> "Best Director": George Miller (This will be a good indication for the Oscars!)
    --> "Best Visual Effects"
    --> "Best Editing"
    --> "Best Production Design"
    --> "Best Costume Design"
    --> "Best Make-up"

And "Ex-Machina" won "Best Sci-Fi Movie", which is absolutely deserved. Total mesmerizing sci-fi, that goes in-depth on the subject of artificial intelligence.

I'm also quite happy that "Spotlight" won the "Best Picture" Critics' Choice Award. It's quite a wonderful movie that highlights the essence and need for good journalism.

The "Best Original Song" award went to that ghastly "Furious 7" song then. Makes it even more exciting to know what the eventual Oscar winner will be in the same category ;-), as both Lady GaGa and Sam Smith lost here.
    Here's a nice overview of the most prestigious award wins for the Bond films:

Oscars 1965: "GOLDFINGER" wins "Best Sound Effects":

Oscars 1966: "THUNDERBALL" wins "Best Special Effects":

Oscars 1982: Albert R. Broccoli gets awarded the "Irving G. Thalberg Award":

Oscars 2013: "SKYFALL" wins "Best Sound Editing":

Oscars 2013: "SKYFALL" wins "Best Original Song" (Adele is simply hilarious :-P):

Golden Globes 2013: "SKYFALL" wins "Best Original Song" (...and hilarious here too :-P!):

Golden Globes 2016: "SPECTRE" wins "Best Original Song":

Grammy's 2013: "SKYFALL" wins "Best Original Song":

Grammy's 2013: "SKYFALL" wins "Best Score":

BAFTA's 2007: "CASINO ROYALE" wins "Rising Star Award" for Eva Green:

BAFTA's 2013: "SKYFALL" wins "Best British Film":

BAFTA's 2013: "SKYFALL" wins "Best Original Score":

Can we please try and keep spoiler tagging these posts that contain numerous videos? For me, anyway, it bogs my connection down and takes a while to load it all.
    Can we please try and keep spoiler tagging these posts that contain numerous videos? For me, anyway, it bogs my connection down and takes a while to load it all.

What connection do you have then? 28kb modem from 1997 :-P?

What connection do you have then? 28kb modem from 1997 :-P?

No, smartass, but I can't be the only one who has the page load a great deal longer when accessing it from a phone, and since my wi-fi is rather wonky here and there, this page won't load at all some times if too much is being processed. ;)
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited January 2016 Posts: 2,494
    'SPECTRE' has been nominated for 'Best Film' at the NME Awards 2016.

Best Film
    Ex Machina
    Spectre
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    Whiplash
    Kill Your Friends
    Beasts of No Nation

Public Voting: [link]
    I was about to question why 'Whiplash' made it on a 2016 Awards list when it was released in January of 2014, but I just noticed that it didn't even come out in countries such as China and Japan until April of 2015.
    I think WOTW is the only real hope for Bond at the Oscar's!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Considering it's the only nomination that the film received, I think you may be right! ;)
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Considering it's the only nomination that the film received, I think you may be right! ;)

Let it not be said that i am not thorough! ;) :))