Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Really? Can you link me to some comments of his, @DaltonCraig007?
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Just saw Episode VII. Enjoyed it and would recommend it for it's playful old-fashioned cinema appeal... but boy it really doesn't have an original bone in it's body. Too much lifted straight from the original sequels (EP IV through VI, for those who still need that info). But then perhaps that was the whole point...? :-??
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    He has a point on the 'retro' thing, but as has been mentioned on this thread, this was a film to reestablish the franchise after a long break (if one doesn't count the prequels). Now they can move forward with new ideas. If they stick to retro going forward, then we can be more critical, but for this first film, I don't think it was such a bad way to go.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    AceHole wrote: »
    Just saw Episode VII. Enjoyed it and would recommend it for it's playful old-fashioned cinema appeal... but boy it really doesn't have an original bone in it's body.Too much lifted straight from the original sequels (EP IV through VI, for those who still need that info). But then perhaps that was the whole point...? :-??

Something the Bond films have been guilty of for tge better part of the last 50 odd years. However, all what you say is true and I do think the degree of familiar beats Abraham employed was deliberate to coordinate a reconnection between an iconic and beloved universe with old and new fans alike. It's been too long since we've seen such old school magic from SW and with that out of the way, the subsequent movies can continue with moving things forward in an exciting way.
  • Check out 28 year old Ford from his carpenter days! Crazy to think he was already 35 when he first played Han Solo! (maybe there's hope for me yet! 8-> )

10375976_10100820795566281_5770462907853685373_n.jpg?oh=e5898f5eedfad30d2821ac7f8172d4d1&oe=57104036

They're gotta find an actor who resembles that for the 'solo' Solo movie!
    bondjames wrote: »
    He has a point on the 'retro' thing, but as has been mentioned on this thread, this was a film to reestablish the franchise after a long break (if one doesn't count the prequels). Now they can move forward with new ideas. If they stick to retro going forward, then we can be more critical, but for this first film, I don't think it was such a bad way to go.
    I agree and would like to add that long before any of the old characters re-appeared, in fact 30 sec into the film, a kind of excitement gripped me that I had completely forgotten since playing Luke Skywalker after watching ROTJ. I felt at once back in that world. And that´s an achievement that´s worlds ahead of what Lucas managed with Eps I-III.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Seems like Burt Reynolds turned down the part of Han Solo, but he has no regrets there.
    I agree and would like to add that long before any of the old characters re-appeared, in fact 30 sec into the film, a kind of excitement gripped me that I had completely forgotten since playing Luke Skywalker after watching ROTJ. I felt at once back in that world. And that´s an achievement that´s worlds ahead of what Lucas managed with Eps I-III.

I didn't feel the same. Other than Harrison Ford and Peter Mayhew, I could have done without the other cast members from the Original films. And quite frankly, I was not in the mood to watch a movie that was a re-hash of "A NEW HOPE". I wanted a lot more originality than that. Unfortunately, Abrams is incapable of being original. He and Lucasfilm should have considered Lucas' story treatment.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's more than just a rehash of A New Hope. Sure it used a lot of the classic story beats, but it still gave us a new adventure with characters old and new. It needed to be familiar to get people back into Star Wars. Episode 8 will really take us someplace new.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Firstly, i havn't yet seen SWTFA (must do soon), but now that the film has been out a while, a different perspective is been given to the film from critics and the public.
    It appears that many people, mainly Star Wars fans, are very dissappointed with the film, anyone who reads the reviews at IMDB will see the rating for the film is very low indeed (that is rating from the public). In fact there are whole pages one after another that state the film, as a movie is good, but as a SW film it is truly poor.
    If you read the latest reviews together with the George Lucas interview, you will see that Disney had no intention of taking risks, and developing the Star Wars saga, as Lucas had done with the prequels. In fact Lucas said he didn't want anything to do with the Star Wars Disney version, as he knew they would not take risks and develop the story as he had done with the prequels, and solely just wanted to cash in on his original film, by just making a modern day copy of it.
    This is what Disney has done, and to great effect, as the hype Disney created to go and see the film has clearly worked, but as now people have had time to reflect on the film, it is apparent that the new film is a very shallow version of the original, i.e things just happen in the film, with no explanation at all, and many things are just a copy.

The test for Disney now, is that they are going to have to come up with some thing new for the next film.

When i have actually seen the film, i will come back with my own personal thoughts on the film, but i thought i'd just post what people are now saying about the film.
    To be honest I get the impression that most of the IMDb crowd are 30+ geeks who are sulking because their expanded universe is no longer canon.

I have to say that I've yet to meet anyone I know who doesn't think Star Wars is great.

I think tfa does enough right to justify, not cover up, it's 'influences'.

Lucas tried to be original he says, but what's the point of being original and incoherent as the prequels were.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007, thanks for that. I think it's wrong of George to come out negative regarding the new film. The new film's success will, after all, help to sell more SW product related to the old movies. Even if Lucas doesn't get any royalties any more, it's still his baby, comparable to X-Men fans being brought in by Bryan Singer but ending up worshipping Stan Lee.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,767
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Firstly, i havn't yet seen SWTFA (must do soon), but now that the film has been out a while, a different perspective is been given to the film from critics and the public.
    It appears that many people, mainly Star Wars fans, are very dissappointed with the film, anyone who reads the reviews at IMDB will see the rating for the film is very low indeed (that is rating from the public). In fact there are whole pages one after another that state the film, as a movie is good, but as a SW film it is truly poor.
    If you read the latest reviews together with the George Lucas interview, you will see that Disney had no intention of taking risks, and developing the Star Wars saga, as Lucas had done with the prequels. In fact Lucas said he didn't want anything to do with the Star Wars Disney version, as he knew they would not take risks and develop the story as he had done with the prequels, and solely just wanted to cash in on his original film, by just making a modern day copy of it.
    This is what Disney has done, and to great effect, as the hype Disney created to go and see the film has clearly worked, but as now people have had time to reflect on the film, it is apparent that the new film is a very shallow version of the original, i.e things just happen in the film, with no explanation at all, and many things are just a copy.

The test for Disney now, is that they are going to have to come up with some thing new for the next film.

When i have actually seen the film, i will come back with my own personal thoughts on the film, but i thought i'd just post what people are now saying about the film.
    I suggest you watch the film first before you start claiming things based on comments from a website that is known for its frequent inaccuracy.

Re: Disney had no intention of taking risks: Making any new Star Wars movie is an immense risk, especially after the reception the prequels got.

Re: wanted to cash in on his original film/hype Disney created: Lucas is the grandmaster of cashing in. The pr for TFA was minimal in comparison with the prequels. Correct me if I´m wrong, Lucas had returned the production cost of Ep I before the actual start of the film just by selling merchandise.
    Of course Disney wants to cash in. They bought SW from Lucas for a horrendous sum of money, they have to make some cash.

Re: now that people have had time to reflect: You just have to scan a few recent pages of this thread to see how critical most members are, yet still most find TFA a great experience even after multiple watchings. Me included by the way.

IMDB, you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    mepal1 wrote: »

I suggest you watch the film first before you start claiming things based on comments from a website that is known for its frequent inaccuracy.

Re: Disney had no intention of taking risks: Making any new Star Wars movie is an immense risk, especially after the reception the prequels got.

Re: wanted to cash in on his original film/hype Disney created: Lucas is the grandmaster of cashing in. The pr for TFA was minimal in comparison with the prequels. Correct me if I´m wrong, Lucas had returned the production cost of Ep I before the actual start of the film just by selling merchandise.
    Of course Disney wants to cash in. They bought SW from Lucas for a horrendous sum of money, they have to make some cash.

Re: now that people have had time to reflect: You just have to scan a few recent pages of this thread to see how critical most members are, yet still most find TFA a great experience even after multiple watchings. Me included by the way.

Its quite clear to me you didn't understand one word of my post. I started off by saying that i havn't seen the film yet. I was just merely pointing out the facts of the current criticisms made by some people on the film, including Lucas, that the film doesn't bring in anything new story wise to the franchise.
    It will be interesting to see when Disney come to make the follow up film, whether they can find the talent to come up with something completely new.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yet TFA sits with a comfortable 8.6 rating out of 10 with members, after 303,000 votes, which is quite respectable.

Regarding those reviews, I wouldn't pay too much attention. Remember, hate leads to the dark side.
    Whatever Lucas does think is his own pleasure, with TFA we finally got a SW movie that had the fun and excitement that the prequels lacked. Lucas can bitch but his last three efforts were mostly poor. So I guess he is kind of annoyed how somebody else did do a better job, which was never that hard a job after his lackluster trilogy of prequels.
    But JJ Abrams did far better than anybody expected.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited January 2016 Posts: 7,314
    I'm really curious now to hear what Lucas had in mind for Episode VII. I hope we find out someday. I can understand how he was miffed by Disney rejecting his proposed ideas but he should know that they didn't have to take the time to read them in the first place. Honestly, I was shocked that they dismissed all of his ideas. Were they really that bad or just the absolute opposite direction of what they had in mind? Perhaps they were just being polite and really had no intention of having him involved?

Anyway, it does come off a bit like sour grapes on his part. Although I must agree with him that I was disappointed about the lack of originality as well. They really must correct this moving forward. I think with Abrams now out of the picture it could definitely happen. However, one huge point that Lucas fails to grasp is that despite the film going retro, which was annoying for sure, J.J. made Star Wars fun again with characters we could relate to.
  • pachazo wrote: »
    I'm really curious now to hear what Lucas had in mind for Episode VII. I hope we find out someday

He was probably going to have Luke and Jar Jar Binks team up to defeat the new bad guy (likely a space stock broker with ulterior motives) with lots of sitting and talking, followed by standing and talking.
    100% would have been filmed in a green room and Luke would occasionally be CGI so he could do impossible flips. And he'd have a new lightsaber, with 5 blades on the end, like a pitchfork.

And of course there would be an all new CGI cute alien forced down our throats, probably named something like 'Poop-poop'

....and he'd make sure Harrison Ford said the name very often, because he'd be the one who hated it the most
    In the interview that GL gave, i basically got the impression he would of made the new films had he been younger, but he said he was now aged 70, and that it would of taken another 10 years of his life to do the trilogy.
    He did mention the thing about originality in his films, and he stressed that he made the Star Wars prequel films as he had wanted to, knowing that there was a chance that some of his new ideas might not be popular, but he said the Star Wars story was supposed to be like a sort of life saga, in that you saw how the characters came about, and their families.
    Also he showed the story to Palpatine and the Emperor, and brought in new characters, planets, spacecraft etc.
    Whereas, he just thinks Disney just did a rerun on his original film, with no new worthy dimension added to his creation.
    I sense a great disturbance in the force with George. ;)

The Force Awakens was the Star Wars sequel I've been waiting for. :D
    Murdock wrote: »
    I sense a great disturbance in the force with George. ;)

The Force Awakens was the Star Wars sequel I've been waiting for. :D

Yep, the force has told me to see the film tomorrow, then i will know for sure, If Disney's version lives upto all the hype, or whether GL has a point.

:)
    Watched TFA at least, and boy I'm so happy. This time all the new characters are nicely elaborated, but for me Adam Driver and his Kylo Ren steal the show: what a despicable and at the same time lovable maniac. This man-child manages to be damn funny and the the same time detestable...

Other than that, I'm surprised by the sheer amount of good scenes Harrison Ford has and the reclaim of Chewie.
    Watched TFA at least, and boy I'm so happy. This time all the new characters are nicely elaborated, but for me Adam Driver and his Kylo Ren steal the show: what a despicable and at the same time lovable maniac. This man-child manages to be damn funny and the the same time detestable...

Other than that, I'm surprised by the sheer amount of good scenes Harrison Ford has and the reclaim of Chewie.

Good to hear you enjoyed the film, makes me more excited to see the film myself now.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sometimes it's not about being original. It's about the execution of whatever story or message is being told and that's where TFA shines and craps on Lucas' prequels for the most part. I can't believe George Lucas has the temerity to take $4 billion from Disney and then cry about how they weren't interested in his stories or ideas. Take the hint, George; Disney paid you that obscene amount of money to own what you created and for you to go away.
    Mr. Plinkett predicted J.J. Abrams directing Episode 7 in 2010! =))
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The next is Rogue One; the young Han is a separate project.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited January 2016 Posts: 1,257
    talos7 wrote: »
    The next is Rogue One; the young Han is a separate project.

Am I the only one here who doesn't want a young Han Solo spin-off?

If anything, I would prefer an Ewan McGregor led Obi Wan film.