SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

dinovelvet wrote: »
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $196,249,955 23.1%
    + Foreign: $653,900,000 76.9%
    = Worldwide: $850,149,955

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

SPECTRE now the 45th highest grossing film of all time, and will pass Inside Out in a couple of days. Don't know if it'll go much further than that.

Good chance that SP could overtake the 'Hunger Games: Catching Fire'. :)
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $196,249,955 23.1%
    + Foreign: $653,900,000 76.9%
    = Worldwide: $850,149,955

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

SPECTRE now the 45th highest grossing film of all time, and will pass Inside Out in a couple of days. Don't know if it'll go much further than that.

Good chance that SP could overtake the 'Hunger Games: Catching Fire'. :)

Do you know something about Avatar record in UK?
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Sadly, SP is now available on the two most popular illegal online streaming services (I won't name them) as of yesterday, so I suspect whatever the global total is by now it won't go up much further.
    mepal1 wrote: »
    SP grossed $5.6mil overseas on its 9th weekend.

Current running totals:-

UK :- $143.8 mil
    China :- $84.7 mil (final)
    Germany :- $67.8 mil
    France :- $37.4 mil
    Australia :- $24.2 mil

Incidently, it looks like SP will be the highest grossing film in Europe 2015, total there is currently on $395 mil.

Which site do you use to get these numbers, particularly with UK. I can't find anything other than pro.boxoffice and boxofficemojo that seems to have legit tracking, and both of those don't have anything for the UK past December 22nd.

If your numbers are correct for UK, than SP did surpass Avatar, which is nice.

Incidently, it looks like SP will be the highest grossing film in Europe 2015, total there is currently on $395 mil.

Which site do you use to get these numbers, particularly with UK. I can't find anything other than pro.boxoffice and boxofficemojo that seems to have legit tracking, and both of those don't have anything for the UK past December 22nd.

I believe i got those figures from boxoffice.com, they do have reports for International box office figures, also Deadline published some of those figures.

Basically i get my info from a whole raft of sources, and not just Boxofficemojo. :)

Regarding whether SP has surpassed Avatar, i'am not sure as i havn't seen the latest figure in UK pounds sterling, this should be published tomorrow by the UK film trade.
    You can't rely on taking the US dollar figure, and converting it back to Pounds, as the exchange rates change regularly, and in some cases you will see subsequent box office figures actually go down from the previous week, because of this factor.
  • mepal1 wrote: »

Lots of data and informed discussions to be found in this community:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com

Lots of data and informed discussions to be found in this community:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com

Yes, some good info there, but mostly its just a lot of crazy fanboys posting, just go to the Star Wars discussion thread to see what i mean.

If you want proper box office figures, you need to go to the film trade sites.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Spectre already made tons of cash, what more do you want?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Spectre already made tons of cash, what more do you want?

Bond 25 right now. :D
  • Spectre already made tons of cash, what more do you want?

Some people view films as if they're football matches, it would seem.

This is the current all-time BO list in the UK, based on BO figures upto and including the 28th Dec 2015. I cribbed this info from another site, but it shows just how close SP is to Avatar now, plus the ballistic rise of SWTFA up the chart, and is now a dead cert to blast to the top of the list.

Nr. B.O. Film
    1 £103.215.427 Skyfall
    2 £94.025.632 Avatar
    3 £92.798.732 Spectre
    4 £80.079.576 Titanic
    5 £73.970.043 Toy Story 3
    6 £73.094.515 Harry Potter 7-2
    7 £72.500.000 Star Wars 7
    8 £69.166.922 Mamma Mia!
    9 £66.096.060 Harry Potter 1
    10 £64.200.000 Jurassic World
    11 £63.009.288 Lord of the Ring I
    This is the current all-time BO list in the UK, based on BO figures upto and including the 28th Dec 2015. I cribbed this info from another site, but it shows just how close SP is to Avatar now, plus the ballistic rise of SWTFA up the chart, and is now a dead cert to blast to the top of the list.

Nr. B.O. Film
    1 £103.215.427 Skyfall
    2 £94.025.632 Avatar
    3 £92.798.732 Spectre
    4 £80.079.576 Titanic
    5 £73.970.043 Toy Story 3
    6 £73.094.515 Harry Potter 7-2
    7 £72.500.000 Star Wars 7
    8 £69.166.922 Mamma Mia!
    9 £66.096.060 Harry Potter 1
    10 £64.200.000 Jurassic World
    11 £63.009.288 Lord of the Ring I

Oh man so close. We still have this week where a lot of people are off from work, and New Years weekend ahead, so there's still a chance, but it's going to be very tight. It's making almost nothing over there now.

In the U.S. it made about 215K yesterday bringing it to about 196.5, so with the upcoming New Years weekend, it's still possible to reach 200, but again will be a painfully slow crawl to the finish.

If everyone on this board in the US and UK went to see it again, we could push it over the top in both territories ;)
    I just don't see it making $200 million in the US. If it gets there, it'll just limp over that mark.

Even if it falls short of that mark, it's still a success, despite what some on other sites would lead you to believe. No, it's not Skyfall, but it was never going to be. In light of the troubled pre-production of the film and the ridiculous expectations it had riding on it, SPECTRE has done quite well. Second-highest grossing Bond film of all-time and one of the top 50 highest grossing films of all-time? Not bad in my book. Not bad at all.
    dalton wrote: »
    I just don't see it making $200 million in the US. If it gets there, it'll just limp over that mark.

Even if it falls short of that mark, it's still a success, despite what some on other sites would lead you to believe. No, it's not Skyfall, but it was never going to be. In light of the troubled pre-production of the film and the ridiculous expectations it had riding on it, SPECTRE has done quite well. Second-highest grossing Bond film of all-time and one of the top 50 highest grossing films of all-time? Not bad in my book. Not bad at all.

Yes sir, you are definitely right there. At this point, at least for me personally, it's almost kinda like bragging rights in a way, just to see it have a 2 in front of its final number in the U.S. and say that Skyfall and Spectre are #'s 1 and 2 in the UK (at least until SW7 murders Skyfall here shortly).

It's definitely still a success though, I mean hell, even SW7 couldn't break Spectre's opening numbers in the UK. That's pretty awesome.

It's definitely still a success though, I mean hell, even SW7 couldn't break Spectre's opening numbers in the UK. That's pretty awesome.

That is rather impressive.

The success of Star Wars: The Force Awakens doesn't surprise me in the least, nor does it have me worried about Bond's place in the world in terms of its box office potential or just its general popularity. The Force Awakens has many, many things going for it in terms of helping to boost its box office potential, much in the same way that Skyfall saw a boost in its numbers due to extenuating factors that were unique to that film at that time. The Force Awakens is essentially a sequel for which people were clamoring for quite some time. It also comes on the heels of the much reviled prequels, which has its longtime fans yearning for a return to greatness for the franchise. Take all of that and then factor in the return of the original cast and the fact that the Star Wars franchise has a broader appeal than the Bond films, and that's a recipe for a huge success at the box office.

SPECTRE couldn't match Skyfall's billion-plus at the box office. It also had a lot of negative publicity going against it before it even debuted (delays, leaked script, Craig's comments during promotion) while Skyfall couldn't have managed to generate more free goodwill for the franchise heading into its debut if it tried, from the Olympics and the 50th Anniversary to the way they managed to make it an "event" film like no other Bond film had been dating all the way back to, perhaps, Goldfinger. The fact that SPECTRE even comes as close as it has to Skyfall, in light of that, is impressive as far as I'm concerned.

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

Yes sir, you are definitely right there. At this point, at least for me personally, it's almost kinda like bragging rights in a way, just to see it have a 2 in front of its final number in the U.S. and say that Skyfall and Spectre are #'s 1 and 2 in the UK (at least until SW7 murders Skyfall here shortly).

Spectre had an extra three days (Mon Eve, Tues and Weds). SW opened on Thursday.
  • dalton wrote: »

Sony will make sure it gets there. Sure, it'll be like General Orlov dragging himself along the train tracks, but they're not going to let it get to 198-199 and let that go! But they want that 200. They have an image to repair, and they can have a good narrative by saying we've recovered from the hacks and flops and have ended the year with two hits, Hotel Transylvania 2 and Spectre.

Sony will make sure it gets there. Sure, it'll be like General Orlov dragging himself along the train tracks, but they're not going to let it get to 198-199 and let that go! But they want that 200. They have an image to repair, and they can have a good narrative by saying we've recovered from the hacks and flops and have ended the year with two hits, Hotel Transylvania 2 and Spectre.

That's true. Continuing to support and push the film even beyond what they normally would to ensure that it gets to the 200 mark could also help them in their negotiations with MGM in the upcoming battle between themselves, Paramount, and Warner (and whoever else) for the MGM distribution rights.

If Sony can make sure that it stays in theaters for a little longer, it might get there. My opinion of it not is just based on what I see in my immediate area, which has seen showings for the film dwindle. I must say, though, that the number of showings for any given day did somewhat stabilize when it looked as though it may only last another week in my neck of the woods, and that was almost three weeks ago.

It'll be close, regardless of which side of the mark it ends up on.
    The Spectre UK BO figure, that i posted recently, actually seems to be the figure from the weekend prior to Xmas i.e. 18-20 Dec, and not the Xmas weekend as i had suggested.
    The Xmas UK weekend figures havn't actually been posted yet, but should do so very soon.

Therefore, that puts Spectre in a better position to pass Avatars £94 mil.

Incidently SWTFA is closing in on SP rapidly, and will pass it soon overall, but not soon enough probably to take the 2015 UK box office champ, away from SP.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883

I used to think that as well, but I now wonder though. They let QoS cap out at $168m when I thought they'd take it all the way to $170m. They pulled the plug on that one. It had a much shorter theatrical run than CR.

Does Sony make money of the blu ray/dvd as well or just the theatre run?
    The cinema chains have a big say, on what films play, and for how long, as they don't want a poorly received film in their cinemas on a long run, if only a handful of people turn up each day to see the film, as its just not economical for the cinema to show the film.

I actually wonder if there aren't some contractual mandates/limits on how long movies show in theaters, or how many screens it's shown on.

For example, Star Wars right now at my local cinema is on 5 of the 12 screens in the theater. It is selling 99% of tickets for each and every single showing. Other movies, however, such as In the Heart of the Sea, Concussion, and some others are showing on 2 screens, and their showings are selling no where near 50% of the seats.

Therefore wouldn't it make sense economically for the theater to bump Star Wars up to 8 or 9 screens, or hell even all 12, and reduce the screens for the other movies? I think it's safe to say those additional Star Wars showings would still sell a helluva lot more tickets than the other movies have been.

I know that's a bit off topic, but it begs the question how/why is Spectre even showing at other theaters still when clearly Star Wars showings would make a ton more money, even on top of there already being multiple showings of it at the same theater. Hell the martian, as good as it was, is still playing at some screens from almost 3 months ago, even though only 1 or 2 tickets per showing at most get sold.

This makes me think it must be partly studio mandated through contracts at certain locations. This could mean Sony DOES have the power to almost make sure it makes it above 200m, even if it costs them a bit to do it.
    I seem to remember someone telling me, that during a films run at a cinema, the cinema chain gets a bigger percentage of the gross as the weeks go by.
    This makes sense, as there wouldn't be any point in the cinema chain showing the film, as the costs to do so would not be covered by the ticket price of the few people that turned up to see the film.

I do think that Sony will try to get SP to $200 mil, and as i have said before, with previous Bond films, the theater count usually goes up for a week or two, very close to the end of a films run. Obviously done so, to squeeze the last few dollars out of the film.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Yea but if averaging $100,000 per day which I know is low SP would have to stay in theatres 40 days to break $200m.

I know that math is oversimplified but even so I don't see it happening as great as that would be.

It beat MI:RN and passed the breakeven point that's good enough for this time.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    I've just seen some figures for SP in the UK.

Current running total is £93.5 mil, with the film earning about £100k a day during the xmas hol weekdays.

Strangely enough, even though SP's gross is going up all the time slowly now, when the figure is converted to dollars, the dollar total actually seems to of come down in the last 2 weeks due to the pound being worth less against the dollar.

btw: SWTFA is expected to reach £100 mil in the UK sometime this coming weekend. :-O
    I've just seen some figures for SP in the UK.

Current running total is £93.5 mil, with the film earning about £100k a day during the xmas hol weekdays.

Strangely enough, even though SP's gross is going up all the time slowly now, when the figure is converted to dollars, the dollar total actually seems to of come down in the last 2 weeks due to the pound being worth less against the dollar.

btw: SWTFA is expected to reach £100 mil in the UK sometime this coming weekend. :-O

I need to keep up with exchange rates ...I'm supposed to be back in London in March.

Love London but argh that exchange rate sucks.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Yea but if averaging $100,000 per day which I know is low SP would have to stay in theatres 40 days to break $200m.

I know that math is oversimplified but even so I don't see it happening as great as that would be.

Don't forget, it may get a dollar theater boost.

BondBug wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Don't forget, it may get a dollar theater boost.

True... don't get me wrong I'm rooting for $200m
  • Relax, it'll happen. New year is another big weekend, and there are no new releases. It'll probably lurch to about 198 by Monday, and then collect the pennies from that point on.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Does Sony make money of the blu ray/dvd as well or just the theatre run?
    The home entertainment distribution of SPECTRE is handled by Fox on behalf of MGM.